Who are you quoting?

blind_...@mindspring.com

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
For those who do not attribute quotes:

Why dont you?

Its gets kinda confusing (and sometimes impossible[1]) to figure out
exactly who said what.

[1] Not everyone gets all the posts and thus the unattributed quotes are
just that.

blind_...@mindspring.com

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99

Just wanted to be the first to do this. :-)

Da Chicken Lady

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
i know. i usually attribute. but, sometimes i don't because:

1. sometimes i'm responding to a post that has so many back and forths i'm
confused about who said what. i figure it's better to not attibute rather
than misattibute.
2. sometimes the post has significant flame potential. i want to respond to
the points made in the post but i don't want to appear to be attacking the
person who made the post.

blind_...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<7dpktc$8d9$1...@camel15.mindspring.com>...

Katilist

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
For the same reason, it can be difficult to fathom what people are referring
to when they answer a post that they that they do not mention in the reply. I
rarely remember what has been posted a day or two (let alone a week). I
understand saving bandwidth, but how about keeping things cohesive? At least
paste in the part to which your answer is pertinent?

Douglas Henderson

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99

> For the same reason, it can be difficult to fathom what people are referring
> to when they answer a post that they that they do not mention in the reply. I
> rarely remember what has been posted a day or two (let alone a week). I
> understand saving bandwidth, but how about keeping things cohesive? At least
> paste in the part to which your answer is pertinent?
>

> >For those who do not attribute quotes:
> >
> >Why dont you?
> > > Why don't you what?

> >Its gets kinda confusing (and sometimes impossible[1]) to figure out
> >exactly who said what.

> > > I have no problem at all with this.
> > > Why, who are *you* talking to

> >[1] Not everyone gets all the posts and thus the unattributed quotes are
> >just that.

> > >what unattributed quotes?

I don't understand what the problem is.
--
Douglas Henderson
(<veg>)

Katilist

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
Doug the Veg wrote:
>I don't understand what the problem is.

Btw, welcome back, honey.

Kat >^^<
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If
you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will
destroy you." -- Gospel of Thomas

Douglas Henderson

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
Thanks. Spring break is 2 weeks this year. Whoopee. The pupes get to
study and I get to write the midterm and post to ATX. Life is sooo
unfair.
--
Douglas Henderson

blind_...@mindspring.com

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99

Katilist wrote in message <19990330113747...@ng115.aol.com>...

> For the same reason, it can be difficult to fathom what people are
referring
>to when they answer a post that they that they do not mention in the
reply. I
>rarely remember what has been posted a day or two (let alone a week).

I had forgotten that with AOL unless you mark a post as "unread" it is
deleted. So yeah, its even worse for AOLers.

blind_...@mindspring.com

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99

Da Chicken Lady wrote in message <7dqop4$1a8$1...@camel18.mindspring.com>...

>i know. i usually attribute. but, sometimes i don't because:
>
>1. sometimes i'm responding to a post that has so many back and forths
i'm
>confused about who said what. i figure it's better to not attibute rather
>than misattibute.
>2. sometimes the post has significant flame potential. i want to respond
>the points made in the post but i don't want to appear to be attacking
the
>person who made the post.

Good points.

I was curious why some seemingly *never* attribute quotes. Im sure there
have been times when I havent either.