Defending North Texas- Spoilers

Barrett & Kristin Bishop

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

OK. For those of you who have seen the movie. I feel the need to defend my
home.

1) We don't talk like that. Really.

2)We DO have grass here in Texas, not sand. North Texas is absolutely NOT
the desert. Yes, the grass is not quite as ...green...as some other parts
of the country, but we do have grass. Lots of it. Ask my allergies.

3) There are no mountains in the Dallas area. We have "Cedar Hill" to the
south, but no mountains.

4) Once again, we don't talk like that. I hate that.

Just thought you'd all like to know what North Texas is really like. The
wildflowers are great in the spring. I know they were doing their best. It
was just a little shocking. Great shot of the Dallas skyline, which is
superb.

Kristin
OBSSE
P.S. That ice age shot was great though. It was 101 degrees Fahrenheit
today.

Caesar

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Hmmm...Well with all respect to my brother and sister-in-law who live in Plano,
I have to say that when that scene started and they first showed the kids back
to their houses I thought, "Man, this looks just like the area north of
Dallas." I don't know whether they had the flashed the "North Dallas" graphic
on the screen yet. The scene later in the film when S&M are chasing the trucks
down didn't look much like the area, I'll agree.

And no, y'all don't talk Tennesse hicks like the kids in that movie:')

It was nice to see who the Texans evolved from so long ago. (Only
kidding!!!!!!)

Caesar

Caesar

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Doh!! Sorry, I guess TN is just too easy of a target;')

WBynum5230 wrote:

> Hey! Excuse me, but we Tennesseeans don't talk like that, either!

WBynum5230

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

BrookeA007

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

I'm from south-east Texas and if I talk like those kids -- then just inject me
with the virus and get it over with!!!!
Brooke
Scully: Mulder, the man was disturbed.
Mulder: Yeah, but did he see it because he was disturbed or was he
disturbed because he saw it?" -Folie Au Deux
** PROUD TO BE A SHIPPER **

Mr. Mike

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:42:09 -0500, "Barrett & Kristin Bishop"
<kbbi...@flash.net> wrote:

>2)We DO have grass here in Texas, not sand. North Texas is absolutely NOT
>the desert. Yes, the grass is not quite as ...green...as some other parts
>of the country, but we do have grass. Lots of it. Ask my allergies.

They should have shot these scenes in Vancouver!! (ha ha)

Visit the Hawaii Five-O Home Page -- http://www.mjq.net/fiveo.htm

Liz Wallace

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

<kbbi...@flash.net> wrote:

>OK. For those of you who have seen the movie. I feel the need to defend my
>home.
>

>1) We don't talk like that. Really.

(snip)

>Kristin
>OBSSE
>P.S. That ice age shot was great though. It was 101 degrees Fahrenheit
>today.

Ya'll are kidding, right? I loved those little boys' accents! I have
heard rural southern people talk exactly like that all my life! I'll
take that any day over the fake drawls that non-southern actors
usually produce!

And, of course you know without my preaching it that the stereotype of
southern accent equalling ignorance is just that -- a stereotype that
is not always accurate. It always cracks me up when a southerner
says, so defensively, "I don't talk like that!!!"

There are tons of different forms of the southern accent, and I guess
we like to hear what we grew up hearing. To me, the little boys'
accents were real and added credibility to the scenes.

Liz W.

Sarah E. Aalderink

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:45:47 -0700, Caesar <cben...@ea.com> wrote:

>Hmmm...Well with all respect to my brother and sister-in-law who live in Plano,
>I have to say that when that scene started and they first showed the kids back
>to their houses I thought, "Man, this looks just like the area north of
>Dallas."

The houses and the wooden fences are *very typical of the whole Dallas
area... and the fact that the houses are so close together. However,
the 'desert' area behind the houses, where the kids were
digging/playing is not at all typical of the Dallas area, from what
I've seen. The earth there is *clay, not sand. My new house is in
Plano, almost to the boarder with Frisco?...Fresno? Oh shoot, can't
find my map of Dallas. I wanted a basement, I'm from Michigan, of
course I want a basement. But the costs of digging in that clay are
*very prohibitive. So I'll settle for a Texas basement... the huge
attic that every house seems to have.

My .02 on the visuals of North Texas.

Lady Sally out.
CO, 5th Business, X-Ville, alt.tv.x-files.x-ville

Zaiem Beg

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Caesar <cben...@ea.com> wrote:
> Hmmm...Well with all respect to my brother and sister-in-law who live in Plano,
> I have to say that when that scene started and they first showed the kids back
> to their houses I thought, "Man, this looks just like the area north of
> Dallas." I don't know whether they had the flashed the "North Dallas" graphic
> on the screen yet. The scene later in the film when S&M are chasing the trucks
> down didn't look much like the area, I'll agree.

> And no, y'all don't talk Tennesse hicks like the kids in that movie:')

> It was nice to see who the Texans evolved from so long ago. (Only
> kidding!!!!!!)

The underlying theme of the movie:

All bad things come from Texas.

I mean, look at the Dallas Cowboys....

As my Texas-hating friend said, "One Texas building down, many, many, many
more to go."

;-)

--
-M. Zaiem Beg
zb...@frii.com

cshardie

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Liz Wallace wrote:
> There are tons of different forms of the southern accent, and I guess
> we like to hear what we grew up hearing. To me, the little boys'
> accents were real and added credibility to the scenes.

Yup. Some people in Texas talk like that, some don't. Texas is weird
'cause there are southern accents and western accents and all sorts of
mixes. Some people in North Texas don't sound that much different from
some people with that westernish drawl from Oklahoma and others sound
like they're from the deep south and still others have that
tv-news-cast-nonaccent. In the city there are usually fewer accents, but
those of us who grow up here can sound pretty much just like those boys.
Or not, depending on your family :) I've heard tapes of myself as a
kid...scary! But it pretty much went away after highschool and I even
stayed in state for college.

--
Suzanne http://www.concentric.net/~cshardie
http://www.flash.net/~cshardie/sippages.html SiPpages!

Minismith

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

In article <199806200201...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
wbynu...@aol.com (WBynum5230) writes:

>Hey! Excuse me, but we Tennesseeans don't talk like that, either!

In fact, I've heard very few REAL Southerners (or West Texans, for that matter)
who talk like that.

Regards,

mini...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/minismith/write/

Ellis1992

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

>> Hmmm...Well with all respect to my brother and sister-in-law who live in
>Plano,
>> I have to say that when that scene started and they first showed the kids
>back
>> to their houses I thought, "Man, this looks just like the area north of
>> Dallas."
Maybe I'm being picky, but I just had to comment on this. If you look at the
Dallas skyline, Reunion Tower is to the left of downtown. This is like the
view of the skyline as seen from the southern suburbs. Since there are not a
whole lot of high rise buildings to the south, we are able to see the whole
skyline as far as 25 miles south.
The rest of the area (moutains, desert terrain, etc.) looks a lot like west
Texas, especially the area around Pecos.
The kids' accents were pretty far off, although I have heard some people talk
like that. But we just laughed to hear them talk! It remends me of all the
criticism my midwestern friends had of the accents in Fargo.

Kathleen