New Archive Site and FAQ

ke...@ro.com

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

I found a server in California willing to host the Gossamer Project
archive. I put a link up at the old site, but the new addy is

http://gossamer.simplenet.com

In the next couple of days, I will try to get the html pages broken
into smaller parts since some of them are getting so large. Also, we
have found a huge number of stories on Vincent's temp directory that
we have not archived yet and we will be adding those over the next few
days. After that, if you still don't see your stories listed, PLEASE
send them to Adam!

Steph and Adam are adding new stories daily. I will stay about a week
behind them. There is additional information, e-mail addresses and
links to those sites on my front page. This new server does not allow
anonymous ftp access. ;(

Gossamer Project FAQ

Last Updated - Sept. 13, 1996

Please inform me of an inaccuracies or misclassifications you find on
the site. This project is in the early stages and we are still working
the kinks out of the system. All the information is being entered into
a spreadsheet and the stories are categorized by sorting for one or
more categories and by the story's rating. My hope is to have the
authors rate and classify their own work. I have no plans to write any
summaries, but volunteers are working to categorize all of the
stories. We are trying to archive all the new XF creative works using
the same guidelines that Vincent used. The story summaries and
classifications are an extra (and optional) feature we've added to the
archives. Your work will still gladly be archived if you do not wish
to have your work classified or provide us with summaries.

General Tips For Authors

Please rate all of your work, not just the NC-17 stuff. If you have
several stories that need to be read together or in a certain order,
if you will give the series a name the stories are more likely to stay
together during the sorts. Please consider going back and making
changes to stories that are already archived if it will help people
find parts of a series. Different ratings and classifications will
cause parts of a series to show up on different pages and that is a
potential problem for multi-part stories. This is also why I am trying
to compile series into one file whenever possible. It probably goes
without saying, but please check under the author listings if you
cannot find a story since many of them are undergoing name changes...

One other thing that has been a problem for us--PLEASE put 'by
authorname' just under the title of the story so we will know what
name to archive the story under. There have been a surprising number
of stories with nothing but an e-mail address and we have to track
those down if we have the time...

When you are writing your summaries, don't be afraid to give away a
little bit of the plot. If you have seen the requests for story names
that appear often on atxc, you have an idea of what kind of
information people might look for when they scan the summaries. There
are a list of keywords at the bottom of this page that you are
encouraged to use if they apply to your work. Please glance through
those to get an idea of how they can help us categorize your story.
Harri is working on a search engine for the Gossamer Project pages and
it will look for keywords like these...

The summary will have to fit into my spreadsheet, so try to keep it
down to a couple of sentences. It would help me if they looked like
this and had no tabs, extra spaces, or quotations:

Title - Author - Rating (G, PG, R, NC-17)
Classifications - P N C X T S V R A H (see below)
Keywords (See below). Summary.

Here Is A Menu System To Help You Classify The Stories.

Step One

Is the story one of these types?

P -Poems/Songs - Poems or songs. Mark P. You are finished.

N -Non-fiction - Interviews with authors, lists of different things,
ascii art, etc. would all fit into this category. Mark N. If it's
humorous, also mark H. You are finished.

C -Crossovers - Stories that have major characters or situations from
other shows, movies, or books interacting with the XF universe. Mark
C. Make a note about what show is crossed with the XF. Go on to the
next section and classify the story.

If it is a crossover or a story, go on to the next section.

Step Two

Pick one of these main categories

X -X-Files - Mulder and Scully investigate what appears to be a case
involving the paranormal.

T -Action/Adventure - Conspiracy stories that are not XF
investigations, Mulder/Scully in peril stories, stories with an
action/adventure type plot. Sorry about using the letter 'T' for this
category. I'm running out of letters! ;-)

V -Vignette - Any story that is a *single scene*, especially a
character just sitting and thinking.

S -Story - Family-gatherings-at-holidays type stories, most
Mulder/Scully romances, and any story that doesn't fit into the other
three categories.

Step Three

Pick one or more of these subcategories if they apply

R -Romance - A romance between *any* of the characters. Please make a
note about which characters are involved.

H -Humor - Anything from a chuckle to 'rolling in the floor' humorous.

A -Angst - If a main character is in great physical or emotional pain,
then it fits into this category.

Step Four

Keywords - Here are some suggestions...

XF/Name of Show crossover. Mulder/Scully romance. Scully/other
romance. Slash story. Skinner/Mulder. Mulder/Krychek. Skinner story.
Krychek story. Character dies. Mulder childhood story. Samantha
returns. Script. Parody. Takes place before/during/after Episode Name
or season. UST story. Unfinished story.

If there is sex but not romance, then just;

Mulder/Scully. Scully/other. Mulder/Scully/other.
Mulder/Skinner/Scully/other.

Well, you get the idea... <G>

Please send your summaries to ke...@ro.com or just include the
information at the top of your story when you post it. If you have any
questions or comments, drop me a note. If you do not wish to have your
story rated or classified, please let me know that also.

What If My Story Is Not Listed Here?

I can't archive and keep up with the story summaries at the same time,
so Adam Lee and I are working together. He is doing the archiving for
us and I am taking care of the html pages. I stay about a week behind
him adding new stories to these pages. If your story is not listed at
his site, drop him a note or send it to him. Usenet is notoriously
unreliable, so don't assume that he has it if you don't see it
there... Please send any requests for changes in story titles,
summaries and things like that to me and I will make the changes for
both of us. You can contact me at ke...@ro.com and Adam at
al...@bns.com.au

I'd Like To Help, What Can I Do?

We need volunteers to help read and classify the stories, reformat
stories that are posted incorrectly, and do many other jobs. Please
contact Pamela Olumoya at polu...@umd5.umd.edu if you would like to
help. ;-)

Doesn't It Seems Like Archives Are Opening And Closing Every Day?

It certainly does... I get confused myself. No one person is going to
be able to take Vincent's place. I have no idea how he managed to do
what he did. There are quite a few people working on this one project
and it still takes a lot of time and energy to keep it going. We
welcome and encourage anyone who has the time and resources to
maintain their own archive. If someone has the resources but not the
time to archive, they could mirror this site. We need more archives to
share the traffic load and provide a measure of security so if one
site goes down, there are others to pick up the slack. There is also
less chance that a story will slip through the cracks if there are
several people archiving rather than just one. If you are interested,
drop us a note and we will help you in any way we can. If you know of
any archives that we don't have listed, please let us know so we can
add them to our links pages.

Kelsy

The Gossamer Project Archives
USA http://gossamer.simplenet.com