** Plagiarism ALERT ** from Missy Pennington

Darla

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
JoseeChung wrote:

<snip terrible news>

I know a good deal of Spanish, but not enough to really help.
However, if any of you feel that something on that site looks a hell
of a lot like something you've written, please try translating with
this.

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate

It's pretty literal, but you'll get a good idea. HTH

nooch...
Darla
xfw420 (Scully'sWhore & Beck&CallGirl)
finishipper420 (lamptrimmer)
**********
Skinner: Use your head, Scully. It'll save your ass.
Scully: Save your own ass, sir. You'll save your head along with it.

JoseeChung

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
Thank you so much, everyone. I've had a nap, and I feel much better now...not
unlike a cranky four year old.

Please let me be among the first few to reply to my own foot-stomping tirade.

I'm not REALLY advocating anyone writing Isabel and saying "Dear Isabel, You're
a thief." I was ranting, and not actually *asking* anyone to do that
specifically. While the idea of saying it gives ME a warm fuzzy, it's not
something I'd expect a total stranger to say to another total stranger on my
behalf.

Just wanted to clarify that, lest you think I've got no more class or
upbringing than...well, than someone who would plagiarize and entire story
almost word for word and put their name on it.

What really fries me is that this archive has almost 200 stories and 169,000
hits, and "Hardball" was obviously one of the first stories archived there. No
telling HOW long it's been there with her name on it. Hmph.

Missy -- who wishes she had a British accent right now to fully convey the
depth of her scorn and irritation. Frosty words just SOUND better in a British
accent, don't they? My Arkansas drawl doesn't seem to pack the same punch for
righteous indignation.

Dreamshpr

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
I went to the site someone had recommended for translation of the stories, and
checked out a paragraph of the Isabella story Demons. Just wanted to give you
guys what it said--maybe inject a somewhat lighter note.

<<It took a step back, or died into the hands of or when falling by that cliff.
" there is no exit " she said the man with heavy voice and fries. She did not
let rain, Susan wore to patch to his skin the nightgown to sleep that she
brought. Their eyes were full of panic.>>

I copy pasted from the story to the window, so none of that is my fault. <g>

Missy--I'm so sorry too. That's really got to throw someone into a tailspin,
having thier work robbed like that. Good luck finding/killing, I mean setting
straight, this person.
Dreamshaper
(drea...@aol.com)

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinkin' part that's wondering what the
nonthinkin' part isn't thinkin' about.

ErikaDel

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
I went to the site in question and quite a lot of titles and some stories seem
familiar.

I found Amy Vincent's Sun and Shade as Sol y Sombras.
http://www.ciudadfutura.com/expedientex/relato39.htm The author credited is
Paty (herv...@mx3.redestb.es)

There are others I'm not sure about. There's one about Frohike's birthday -
Langly calls Mulder, Mulder calls Scully and convinces her to go - that sounds
familiar but some of these stories might just be authors thinking alike.

One other story that seemed familiar has Scully finding old Valentine's Day
cards and gifts from Mulder in his apartment. One of the gifts is a stuffed
Pomeranian doll. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

There are lots of stories so I've only looked through a few, and most seemed
new to me. But with Missy's experience and Sun and Shade up there, I hope more
people go look at what's there.

<A
HREF="http://www.ciudadfutura.com/expedientex/relatos.htm">http://www.ciud
adfutura.com/expedientex/relatos.htm</A>

Erika

Tracey

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
<snip>

> There are others I'm not sure about. There's one about Frohike's
birthday -
> Langly calls Mulder, Mulder calls Scully and convinces her to go - that
sounds
> familiar but some of these stories might just be authors thinking alike.

Isn't that MoJoe's story... Melvin's Turning Forty??

Tracey

Brandon Ray

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99

ErikaDel wrote:

> I went to the site in question and quite a lot of titles and some stories seem
> familiar.

> One other story that seemed familiar has Scully finding old Valentine's Day
> cards and gifts from Mulder in his apartment. One of the gifts is a stuffed
> Pomeranian doll. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Unexpected Gifts: Mangiare Felice
Authors: FBI_Woman <fab...@writeme.com>
& Tissa <scu...@cruiser.com.br>

I'm also going to email the authors, since I don't know if they read the ng.
Probably be a good idea for *anyone* who finds a plagiarized story on that site to
let the original authors know.

--
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the
complete works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not

CazQ

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99

JoseeChung wrote in message
<19990808221058...@ng-bj1.aol.com>...

>Missy -- who wishes she had a British accent right now to fully convey the
>depth of her scorn and irritation. Frosty words just SOUND better in a
>British accent, don't they? My Arkansas drawl doesn't seem to pack the
same >punch for righteous indignation.

I have one, dear. Would you like me to spit out some disgusted, thoroughly
frosty words on your behalf? How about, "Isabel, you, madam, have the morals
of an invertebrate and, *quite* clearly, the talent of a single celled
pond-creature!" :)

Or, in more transatlantic terms, this sucks to the nth degree. I'm so sorry
about this, Missy. 'Hardball' is an old fave of mine too. Grrr. Want me to
ask my neighbour to put a Romany curse on this plagiarising wench? I've done
the only other useful thing I could think of, which was to pass on news of
all this to the XAPEN-talk list members, in case anyone who doesn't have
atxc access there needs to know about this whole ugly incident.

CazQ

"Ohnosecond: that minuscule fraction of time in which you
realise you've made a *really* big mistake..."
Press Any Key's New Words For The 90s

The divine Stuart made me a webpage! Let me tell
you a story at:
http://www.beansburn.demon.co.uk/paradox/caz/

Megan Harris

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
to alt.tv.x-fi...@list.deja.com
What an awful thing to have happen to you. I'm so sorry. Could you send me
her e-mail address so I can e-mail her?

Megan

> [...]
><alt.tv.x-fi...@list.deja.com>
>Subject: ** Plagiarism ALERT ** from Missy Pennington
>Date: 09 Aug 1999 00:08:35 GMT
>
> Message from the Deja.com forum:
> alt.tv.x-files.creative
> Your subscription is set to individual email delivery
> >
>It has been brought to my attention by a very sharp reader, that I have
>been
>thoroughly robbed and violated. : (
>
>My story "Hardball" has been translated to Spanish and posted on Spanish
>archives with another author's name attached. Near as I can tell, it's
>pretty
>much word for word, except for the title and names of the secondary
>characters.
>
>I've confronted the thief, but have not heard from her. I've also written
>the
>archive and asked that it be removed. Of course I suppose it's my word
>against
>theirs.
>
>I'M SO UPSET!!!! I don't know what else I should do, other than warn all
>of
>you that someone is up to some not so nice activities again. : (
>
>Here is the URL for my archived story and the URL for the stolen Spanish
>version if you want to compare. She didn't even change the name of the
>store,
>or the order of Scully's "inner voices" talking to her as she shops. I
>just
>feel sick. And to just ADD insult to injury, one of the only things she
>DID
>change was the lovely 40s torch song that Mulder and Scully danced to in
>the
>elevator scene at the end ("You Go to My Head") is now the Celine Dion song
>"It's All Coming Back to Me Now."
>
><snort> She's going to hell for THAT if nothing else.
>
>http://members.aol.com/mjpmissy/missy.html
>http://www.ciudadfutura.com/expedientex/relato79.htm
>
>Sorry for the rant. I'm a tad...scattered, at the moment. One second I'm
>near
>tears the next second I'm so angry I want to see this chick splattered
>across
>the front grill of an 18 wheeler like a bug hit at 90 miles an hour on a
>two
>lane country backroad in the heat of a Mississippi summer.
>
>I'm sorry. Did I say that out loud?
>
>Here is the archive address. I STRONGLY suggest you take a look through
>for
>your OWN work. There are a ton of stories here, and many of the titles
>look
>suspicsiously familiar.
>
>http://www.ciudadfutura.com/expedientex/relatos.htm
>
>Aside from that...any advice? Sympathy? Empthay? Nice, consoling "death
>images?" And um...if anyone else wanted to drop dear Isabel an email and
>call
>her a thief, that'd be good too.
>
>Missy -- who doesn't post often, but feels in desperate need of some

Visit my new and improved homepage at
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/rothside/303
ICQ# 45342544

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DaviesUK

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
Has someone contacted the site owner for a response?

Steph Davies

Please remove SPAMLESS from the address to reply :-)

A Little Acorn

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
>I'm not REALLY advocating anyone writing Isabel and saying "Dear Isabel,
>You're
>a thief." I was ranting, and not actually *asking* anyone to do that
>specifically. While the idea of saying it gives ME a warm fuzzy, it's not
>something I'd expect a total stranger to say to another total stranger on my
>behalf.

Why not? It was fun :)

Lauryn
+++++
"Why am I doing this again?"
"Cause you wanna hear my beautiful voice?"
"I bet you sound like a frog."
"I do."
"Okay."
+++++
http://browse.to/therealm

ImMissLurk

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
>It took a step back, or died into the hands of or when falling by that
>cliff.
>" there is no exit " she said the man with heavy voice and fries. She did not
>let rain, Susan wore to patch to his skin the nightgown to sleep that she
>brought. Their eyes were full of panic.

ROFL! Thanks, Dreamshaper. That literally made me laugh out loud. I think I
had a dream like that once, after too much junk food and spinny rides at the
fair.

Hmm...actually, I know had a dream like that. I'll bet they stole it from me.
; )

Missy -- who is now considering "'There is no exit,' she said the man with
heavy voice and fries" as her new signature line.

ImMissLurk

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
>"Isabel, you, madam, have the morals
>of an invertebrate and, *quite* clearly, the talent of a single celled
>pond-creature!"

LOL! You GO, Caz. See? That just sounds SO much better coming from you. ;
) If she had Big Beauty Pageant Hair (copyright 1957 by United Confederation
of Southern States that Breed Beauty Pageant Contestants) or a car on cement
blocks in her front yard, I'd know just what to say (or what to spray paint on
the water tower about her). But for retrained eloquence, you just can't beat a
haughty, perturbed Brit.

Thank you SO much for saying it for me. : ) And thanks also for the nice
words about "Hardball."

Missy

Dreamshpr

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99

ROFL! Thanks, Dreamshaper. That literally made me laugh out loud. I think I
had a dream like that once, after too much junk food and spinny rides at the
fair.

Hmm...actually, I know had a dream like that. I'll bet they stole it from me.
; )

Missy -- who is now considering "'There is no exit,' she said the man with
heavy voice and fries" as her new signature line.>>

lol, go for it! But first--check the Badfic Hall of Fame. Who knows, that
paragraph might *actually* be from someone's work...

Glad it made you laugh. ;)

Anjou

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
I've been checking out the Plagiarism page myself and found
one that I know I read recently and one I read long ago,
although I cannot recall who the author is. I'm hoping
someone here can figure out to whom we should sound the
alarm. The first, supposedly written by the ubiquitous and
odious Isabel, is Irresistible II. It's on the second page
of the list of stories. Was that Joylynn Wing that wrote
that? The second is an AU story set in the '40's, where
Scully is a singer, CSM is her father, Skinner her abusive
husband and Mulder her one true love. I cannot recall who
wrote it.

I feel extremely distressed for everyone who has been
ripped off. I'm going back to search for more storylines I
recognize.

li...@cybercable.fr

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
The second story you described is I've Got You Under My Skin, by Margi
Kleinjan (aka Alisha, I believe.) I don't know which story it is that's the
plagiarised version, so if you'd like her email address to let her know, it's

klei...@btinternet.com

If you'd like me to contact her, let me know which story it is at the
archive. :) (li...@cybercable.fr)

I really don't know about the other story- anyone? This is such an awful
thing happening.

Lizielou

> The second is an AU story set in the '40's, where
> Scully is a singer, CSM is her father, Skinner her abusive
> husband and Mulder her one true love. I cannot recall who
> wrote it.
>
> I feel extremely distressed for everyone who has been
> ripped off. I'm going back to search for more storylines I
> recognize.

Brandon Ray

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
The second one I caught to .. it's called "I've Got You Under My Skin", and
it's at gossamer. I emailed the author, and she has responded and I presume is
looking into it.

Anjou wrote:

> I've been checking out the Plagiarism page myself and found
> one that I know I read recently and one I read long ago,
> although I cannot recall who the author is. I'm hoping
> someone here can figure out to whom we should sound the
> alarm. The first, supposedly written by the ubiquitous and
> odious Isabel, is Irresistible II. It's on the second page
> of the list of stories. Was that Joylynn Wing that wrote

> that? The second is an AU story set in the '40's, where

> Scully is a singer, CSM is her father, Skinner her abusive
> husband and Mulder her one true love. I cannot recall who
> wrote it.
>
> I feel extremely distressed for everyone who has been
> ripped off. I'm going back to search for more storylines I
> recognize.

ErikaDel

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
<< Has someone contacted the site owner for a response? >>

I sent a note mentioning Hardball and Sun and Shade. Today I got a reply that
the archivist was taking those stories down. He mentioned he had been away on
vacation, so he might just be hearing about all this now.

I guess all the other plagiarized titles should be sent to him at
phi...@hotmail.com so he can take them down.

Erika

alj...@a-znet.com

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
Hello... I am sorry to delurk, I have never posted here. However I
noticed that in the thread below, I am mentioned. I am Joylynn Wing.

I took a look, and though my Spanish is very rusty, it does look very
familiar. Though I am not as famous as Missy, I still am hurt a great
deal.

Yes, I do believe that the ' evil ' Isabel ripped of * my story *
Irresistible II; the Evil Within. I am * upset *! I worked for
months on that story, and someone takes credit... Sorry to rant. I
cannot believe that people like that exist out there. I worked for
months on that piece, pouring my heart into it and she tries to take
credit?

To have my hard work stolen like that, disheartens me a great deal.
I only wish that I could get her face to face! True evil is made,
not born, and now I have seen it!!!

Anjou, thank you so very much for bringing it to my attention.
Though, now I wish that I didn't know...

Joylynn Wing < really feeling depressed right about now!!!! >
alj...@a-znet.com

In article <9342531...@www.remarq.com>,

Anjou <An...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> I've been checking out the Plagiarism page myself and found
> one that I know I read recently and one I read long ago,
> although I cannot recall who the author is. I'm hoping
> someone here can figure out to whom we should sound the
> alarm. The first, supposedly written by the ubiquitous and
> odious Isabel, is Irresistible II. It's on the second page
> of the list of stories. Was that Joylynn Wing that wrote
> that? The second is an AU story set in the '40's, where
> Scully is a singer, CSM is her father, Skinner her abusive
> husband and Mulder her one true love. I cannot recall who
> wrote it.
>
> I feel extremely distressed for everyone who has been
> ripped off. I'm going back to search for more storylines I
> recognize.
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Kirsten

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
In article <7ootcf$1p3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

alj...@a-znet.com wrote:
> Hello... I am sorry to delurk, I have never posted here. However I
> noticed that in the thread below, I am mentioned. I am Joylynn Wing.
>
> I took a look, and though my Spanish is very rusty, it does look very
> familiar. Though I am not as famous as Missy, I still am hurt a great
> deal.
>
> Yes, I do believe that the ' evil ' Isabel ripped of * my story *
> Irresistible II; the Evil Within. I am * upset *! I worked for
> months on that story, and someone takes credit... Sorry to rant. I
> cannot believe that people like that exist out there. I worked for
> months on that piece, pouring my heart into it and she tries to take
> credit?
>
> To have my hard work stolen like that, disheartens me a great deal.
> I only wish that I could get her face to face! True evil is made,
> not born, and now I have seen it!!!
>
> Anjou, thank you so very much for bringing it to my attention.
> Though, now I wish that I didn't know...
>
> Joylynn Wing < really feeling depressed right about now!!!! >
> alj...@a-znet.com

I am sooo sorry! I just read Irresistable II yesterday, and I couldn't
stop reading! It was so engrossing! That just makes me so angry that
this Isabel is plagiarizing(sp?) such good stories!

-Kirsten

HC

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99

Brandon Ray wrote in message <37AFBC75...@avalon.net>...

>The second one I caught to .. it's called "I've Got You Under My Skin", and
>it's at gossamer. I emailed the author, and she has responded and I
presume is
>looking into it.

Yeah... That's me :) They took the story down this morning.

alj...@a-znet.com

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
Kristen...
Thank you so very much for your kind thoughts. It really does mean
a great deal. I am also pleased that you liked my story... I just wished
that * she * didn't. I also contacted the archivist. He kindly took it
down. He then apologized for the trouble to all of us. I have learned
a great deal from this tragedy. I have heard from so many of you
giving me sympathy and support.

You * all * are wonderful people. You make me feel like I'm at home.
Even though you don't know me... I feel that I am truly blessed.
We are family, and we act accordingly.

To Missy, I loved Hardball. It is a true work of art. She should be shot
at dawn for ripping you off.

In closing, I would like to thank you all for the email box of feedback
on Irresistible II. I still cry when I read it all...

Joylynn Wing
alj...@a-znet.com

In article <7opoj5$lqu$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Yahtzee63

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
As one of the plagarized, I am happy to report that the archivist has removed
the story. Thanks to those who spotted this, voiced their disapproval, and
contacted me.

Amy
aka XFScully

mast...@inetworld.net

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
Can someone give me the url for the site that contains the plagiarized
stories? I'd like to check for any of mine.

-- Mary M.

On 09 Aug 1999 18:07:27 GMT, davi...@aol.comSPAMLESS (DaviesUK)