Plagiarism Alert

Cryst98014

Jul 19, 2002, 1:24:43 PM7/19/02
Someone has pointed out to me that an X-Files fanfic of mine has been blatantly
stolen from me. Basically the only changes were characters names and POV and
tense.

Read for yourself:

My fic, entitled "Ribbed: For Her Pleasure"
http://www.geocities.com/christinalynne1227/fictions/ribbed.txt

And the other fic, from the Buffy fandom, by someone named Denna is called
"Ribbed"
http://www.ficticious.net/bs/fic/r/ribbed.html

Here are some examples:

From hers:

As Buffy walked up to Spike's doorway, she checked her watch, smoothed the
wrinkles from her jacket, and pulled down the hem of her skirt before knocking.
She was brushing the hair away from her face when Spike answered the door.

"Hi Spike," Buffy said, trying not to stare.

"Come on in, Slayer." Spike was leaning against the doorframe, shirtless, hair
still wet from the shower, "And you actually knocked this time. Good for you!"

And then from mine:

As I walk up to Mulder's apartment door, I check my watch,
smooth the wrinkles from my jacket, and pull down on the hem of
my skirt before knocking. I'm brushing my hair away from my
face when Mulder opens the door.

"Hi, Mulder," I say, trying not to stare.

"Come on in, Scully." Mulder is leaning against the doorframe,
shirtless, hair still wet from his shower.

And more:

"Oh God, Spike..." Buffy sighed, "I heard you on the phone with Willow. I heard
you say something about tonight being the night. You said I hoped I felt the
same way..." Buffy paused, not sure of how to word the rest, "You were talking
about condoms, Spike. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where you were
going..."

Spike looked shocked and then he began to laugh. Loud deep laughs echoing from
his chest. Buffy stared at him, irritated.

"What the hell is so funny?"

"Buf-" Spike was gasping, wiping tears from his eyes, "Buffy, I never said
anything to Willow about condoms, I swear!"

"I heard you!"

Laughing fit subsiding, Spike strode over to her, placing his hands on her
shoulders. He looked her in the eye, "And what exactly did I say about these
condoms, pet?"

And from mine again:

"Oh Mulder..." I sigh. "I *heard* you on the phone with
Frohike. I heard you say something about tonight being the
night. You said you hoped I felt the same way..." I pause
here, not sure how to word this next part. "You mentioned
*condoms*, Mulder. It's not that hard to figure out where you
were going..."

Mulder looks shocked and then he starts to laugh. Loud belly
laughs. I stare at him in irritation.

"What the hell is so funny?"

"Scu—" He's gasping, wiping tears from his eyes. "Scully, I
*never* said anything to Frohike about condoms, I swear!"

"Mulder, I heard you!"

Laughing fit subsiding, Mulder strides over to me, placing his
hands on my shoulders. He looks me in the eyes. "What exactly
did I say about these condoms?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think it's obvious she's stolen my story, but this has never happened to me.
The email address is no good and I haven't been around the xf fandom much this
past year, and know next to nothing about the other fandoms.

If anyone knows of anywhere else this story might be housed, I'd really
appreciate a heads-up. Or, if anyone can send me links of Buffy sites, I can
search them myself.

Wow, what a bummer way to start my day off...

Christina
==========

visit my fanfic at: http://www.geocities.com/christinalynne1227/

Carolina

Jul 19, 2002, 5:25:44 PM7/19/02
cryst...@aol.com (Cryst98014) wrote in message news:<20020719132443...@mb-mc.aol.com>...

> Someone has pointed out to me that an X-Files fanfic of mine has been blatantly
> stolen from me. Basically the only changes were characters names and POV and
> tense.
>
> Read for yourself:
>
> My fic, entitled "Ribbed: For Her Pleasure"
> http://www.geocities.com/christinalynne1227/fictions/ribbed.txt
>
> And the other fic, from the Buffy fandom, by someone named Denna is called
> "Ribbed"
> http://www.ficticious.net/bs/fic/r/ribbed.html
>
> Christina
> ==========

Wow, that's really low, Christina. I'd be so pissed I'd probably find
her physical address and pay her a visit.

That really sucks. I hope you can contact her.

Carolina

Teddi Litman

Jul 19, 2002, 6:22:05 PM7/19/02
I'm so sorry that happened to you, Christina.
However, you have got to admit this person's pathetic attempt to steal your
story is laughable.
It's like an installment "The World's Dumbest Criminals!"

Can anyone who has watched "Buffy" even once ever see Spike chatting on the
phone with Willow ... let alone imagine a character would assume they were
talking about condoms?!
Why would a vampire need condoms anyway?
Well Angel obviously did ... but still!<G>

Teddi

Kipler

Jul 19, 2002, 7:11:12 PM7/19/02
This has happened before. Someone was stealing our XF M/S stuff and changing
it to... get this!... "The Nanny" fic! Mulder became "Maxwell" and Scully
became "Fran."

I still shudder at the thought. (We did have some fun, though, taking our fics
and making them "Brady Bunch" stories by changing Mulder to Greg and Scully to
Marcia. LOL!)

The best recourse in these situations is to embarrass the hell out of this
person in her own fandom. Obviously, these folks do this to get some kind of
glory; if we replace their glory with humiliation, they'll generally disappear.
I'd go to a bunch of "Buffy" lists and sites and let them know what this girl
is doing. She'll be shamed out pretty quickly.

It is a pity this happened to you. Some people apparently don't get that being
praised for something isn't worth anything if you didn't DO the something.

--Kipler

Spooky's Girl

Jul 19, 2002, 8:24:29 PM7/19/02
It's disheartening isn't it. I'm sorry you have to experience such a
thing. It's not right seeing your own work being copied, especially
since we writers work so hard on what we write. Unfortunately i've
been plagerized three times, and many of my fellow writer friends have
as well, adn unfortunately there's not much we can do about it either
since it's not really copyrighted and it's posted freely on the net.

If it's her site with that story up, then i doubt there's much you can
do other than notifying her. IF she's archived it elsewhere, e-mail
teh archivist about it, i've had entire sites pulled down cause they
posted my work on it under their name. Also do your best to spread
their name around the Buffy community. Sometimes that'll get an
admittance, and possibly an apology.

Meanwhile, don't let it ruin your spirits, keep writing!

Spooky's Girl

ImAStinker

Jul 19, 2002, 8:42:08 PM7/19/02
I have been copied also with someone using sections from my story "Mulder and
the Stinking, Rotten, Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" written by me
(IMASTINKER), and published in a collection entitled " Intriguing
Possibilities" and copyrighted by Criterion Press on May 1995. If anyone wants
to see the original to compare, I can e-mail it.

Cheryl

Shayna

Jul 19, 2002, 8:41:58 PM7/19/02

You're not the only one they did this to.

http://community.idealistshaven.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13819

The first few posts refer to a story by an "author" called Buffybot.
I discovered they had plagarized "all paths lead to you" by
AgentXsley. See the story here
http://www.crf1013.com/7th/allpathl.txt

What was interesting to me was coming across this story by Denna
http://www.ficticious.net/bs/fic/t/thecircleofslayers4.html which also
plagarized that XF fic. So either Buffybot and Denna are one and the
same, Denna elected to rip the same XF fic as another writer or she
was plagarizing Buffybot's fic, the thought of which is amusing but
doesn't seem very probable.

All the research I did was through Google. I picked random passages
and searched for them, that would be a good way to go. Also search
Google groups.

HTH,

Shayna

ImAStinker

Jul 19, 2002, 11:10:25 PM7/19/02
This is a reply from the person posting the "Bad Day" story."

on to me by someone who does.

I'm sorry if I've stepped on any toes here, but since I have never seen
your story "Mulder and the etc." and since I quite cheerfully admit to
ripping the story off wholesale from Judith Viorst who wrote the
original, I guess I don't see that there is any possible foul here. It
never occurred to me that someone had already done this story as xfiles
fan fic, but since I only read slash, you can see how I might have
missed it. As far as I'm concerned, the only person who rightfully has
any issues with me ripping them off is Judith Viorst and maybe Fox
network and CC etc.

Firstly, I didn't look at your story at all when I wrote mine or even
know of its existence. Indeed, if I had any clue of your story's
existence, then I wouldn't have bothered writing mine at all, because a
joke told twice is nowhere near as funny.
Secondly, in any case where two writers use the same source material,
yes, there will be many similarities. The elevator, the bit about
Australia, no shoes his size are taken straight from the book! And in my
opinion, if I am borrowing so much from an established source like this
and acknowloging exactly what I am doing, then it's kind of ridiculous
to accuse me of plagarism. The story isn't mine. It isn't yours. It
belongs to Judith Viorst. Personally, I made quite clear that I'm just
doing this for fun and a laugh and as a tribute to stories I love. I
certainly had no intention to get embroiled into any accusations of
copying anyone...
Thirdly, since my story is slash, and obviously yours isn't, there would
appear to be many differences, though as I have said I haven't read
yours. Indeed, look at the title. My version is told by Alex. Not
Mulder.
Fourthly, if you had concerns, it would have been kind of you to bring
them up to me private (I do believe my email was attached to the story,
yes?) rather than posting them all over a public list that I am not a
member of before I have any chance to speak to your concerns. You seem
to assume wrong doing where I quite assure you, none was intended.

Again, I'm sorry if you feel I have somehow wronged you, but I assure
you, I had no wrong doing in mind. I would appreciate your response and
I feel like I am due an apology. In public would be nice.

Sincerely,

Rose

This is my reply:

There is a use of story form (ie. Judith Viorst Style) and then there is
cloning of particular passages, ideas, and situations. I gave an out for the
extreme chance that it was coincidence but the eerie similarities were so close
that I did recognize them. You must be psychic.

Cheryl

Ruth Stout

Jul 20, 2002, 10:27:19 AM7/20/02
This is for both Rose and Cheryl.

I definitely feel the need to weigh in on this controversy.
For you, Cheryl, to accuse Rose of plagiarizing your parody of
"Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"
by Judith Viorst is mind-boggling to me. This particular story
has been the inspiration for thousands of parodies, and I doubt
that any of them were ripped-off from *yours*. It is certainly
within the bounds of possibility for Rose to have come up with
her version completely independent of you and still have
"similarities". Indeed, it would be impossible for there not
to be as you were both working from the same source material.
So lighten up a bit, Cheryl...especially on the sarcasm. For
all you know, maybe Rose *is* psychic.

And Rose, I thought your story was wonderful. Alex may have
had a "bad day", but you made mine!

Ruth

---------------

Cryst98014

Jul 21, 2002, 3:36:09 AM7/21/02
Thanks to everyone who offered their sympathies. I haven't tracked down this
'Denna' yet, but the site where I found the fic housed said they'd pull it.
Haven't found it anywhere else yet.

Does anyone have any quick links to popular Buffy sites?

Shannon Noelle

Jul 21, 2002, 5:45:48 PM7/21/02
Kipler wrote:

> This has happened before. Someone was stealing our XF M/S
> stuff and changing it to... get this!... "The Nanny" fic! Mulder
> became "Maxwell" and Scully became "Fran."
>
> I still shudder at the thought. (We did have some fun, though,
> taking our fics and making them "Brady Bunch" stories by
> changing Mulder to Greg and Scully to Marcia. LOL!)

OMG, the Unscrupufic!! I went digging at Gossamer not long ago to find mine,
which I'd misplaced through a couple of computer changes. I might even
archive it at my fanfic site ... unless you guys think maybe the image of
Mimi giving Drew a lapdance might be too much for the general fanfic reading
public. ;)

Shannon