Apophis coming to Earth in 2036

Anybody

Feb 18, 2007, 1:14:56 AM2/18/07

Well, sort of. :-)

From Slashdot.org ...

Asteroid Highlighted as Impact Threat
-------------------------------------
The asteroid Apophis has been traversing the void of space
for untold years; in just a few decades time it will make
a very close pass to Earth, and could make an unwelcome
stop on our planet's surface. Even still, it's nothing to
get too worked up about. The 20-million-tonne object has a
1 in 45,000 chance of hitting the Pacific Ocean in early
April of 2036. If it did hit, it could trigger a tsunami
that would do an untold amount of damage to the
California coastline and many other places on Earth.
Despite the low level of the threat, it's still a real
enough danger to prompt the United Nations to develop a
protocol about the scenario. We'll get a closeup look at
the object in 2029, and at that point we should have a
better idea of what 2036 will bring us.
http://tinyurl.com/28pu34

whodunit

Feb 18, 2007, 12:30:44 PM2/18/07

That's okay. The Mayan prophesies say the end of the world is in 2012,
so we're covered! ;-)

Message has been deleted

whodunit

Feb 18, 2007, 1:08:21 PM2/18/07
Magda wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:30:44 GMT, in alt.tv.stargate-sg1, whodunit
> <pill...@sbcworldly.net> arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
>
> ... Anybody wrote:
> ... > Well, sort of. :-)
> ... >
> ... > From Slashdot.org ...
> ... >
> ... > Asteroid Highlighted as Impact Threat
> ... > -------------------------------------
> ... > The asteroid Apophis has been traversing the void of space
> ... > for untold years; in just a few decades time it will make
> ... > a very close pass to Earth, and could make an unwelcome
> ... > stop on our planet's surface. Even still, it's nothing to
> ... > get too worked up about. The 20-million-tonne object has a
> ... > 1 in 45,000 chance of hitting the Pacific Ocean in early
> ... > April of 2036. If it did hit, it could trigger a tsunami
> ... > that would do an untold amount of damage to the
> ... > California coastline and many other places on Earth.
> ... > Despite the low level of the threat, it's still a real
> ... > enough danger to prompt the United Nations to develop a
> ... > protocol about the scenario. We'll get a closeup look at
> ... > the object in 2029, and at that point we should have a
> ... > better idea of what 2036 will bring us.
> ... > http://tinyurl.com/28pu34
> ... That's okay. The Mayan prophesies say the end of the world is in 2012,
> ... so we're covered! ;-)
>
> Oh, no, it totally spoils the Olympics!!

I'm sure Doctor Who can fix this! ;-)

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Feb 18, 2007, 1:16:42 PM2/18/07
whodunit <pill...@sbcworldly.net> did eloquently scribble:

>> ... That's okay. The Mayan prophesies say the end of the world is in 2012,
>> ... so we're covered! ;-)
>>
>> Oh, no, it totally spoils the Olympics!!
>>
> I'm sure Doctor Who can fix this! ;-)

Besides, the mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world, it
predicts the end of the "down" part of the magical cycle. (as depicted in
shadowrun)
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

Anybody

Feb 18, 2007, 3:02:28 PM2/18/07
In article <830Ch.12268$gj4....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>, whodunit
<pill...@sbcworldly.net> wrote:

There's about 20 different dates over the next 30 years that are going
to be "the end of the world" or at least a possible bigish asteroid
hit. :-)

EvilBill

Feb 18, 2007, 4:57:34 PM2/18/07
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> whodunit <pill...@sbcworldly.net> did eloquently scribble:
>>> ... That's okay. The Mayan prophesies say the end of the world is
>>> in 2012, ... so we're covered! ;-)
>>>
>>> Oh, no, it totally spoils the Olympics!!
>>>
>> I'm sure Doctor Who can fix this! ;-)
>
> Besides, the mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world, it
> predicts the end of the "down" part of the magical cycle. (as
> depicted in shadowrun)
> :)

Actually it's just the end of one of the major periods of the Long Count
calendar, the next big rollover is in the year 4772 ;)

* I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
to expect the worst.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Feb 18, 2007, 5:11:26 PM2/18/07
EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:

> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>> whodunit <pill...@sbcworldly.net> did eloquently scribble:

>>> I'm sure Doctor Who can fix this! ;-)
>>
>> Besides, the mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world, it
>> predicts the end of the "down" part of the magical cycle. (as
>> depicted in shadowrun)
>> :)

> Actually it's just the end of one of the major periods of the Long Count
> calendar, the next big rollover is in the year 4772 ;)

Which will be the time when the magic level drops back down to today's
levels again.
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |

EvilBill

Feb 18, 2007, 5:14:58 PM2/18/07
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>>> whodunit <pill...@sbcworldly.net> did eloquently scribble:

>>> Besides, the mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world, it
>>> predicts the end of the "down" part of the magical cycle. (as
>>> depicted in shadowrun)
>>> :)
>
>> Actually it's just the end of one of the major periods of the Long
>> Count calendar, the next big rollover is in the year 4772 ;)
>
> Which will be the time when the magic level drops back down to today's
> levels again.
> :)

Magic level, eh? This isn't the Discworld, you know ;)

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Feb 18, 2007, 6:07:00 PM2/18/07
EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>> EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:

>>> Actually it's just the end of one of the major periods of the Long
>>> Count calendar, the next big rollover is in the year 4772 ;)
>>
>> Which will be the time when the magic level drops back down to today's
>> levels again.
>> :)

> Magic level, eh? This isn't the Discworld, you know ;)

I know... Are you saying the events written in shadowrun AREN'T going to
come true?
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |

Tina Hall

Feb 18, 2007, 9:32:00 PM2/18/07
Spike1 <spi...@ridcully.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>>> EvilBill <quake...@gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:

>>> Which will be the time when the magic level drops back down to
>>> today's levels again.
>>> :)

>> Magic level, eh? This isn't the Discworld, you know ;)

> I know... Are you saying the events written in shadowrun AREN'T going
> to come true?
> :)

I certainly hope so.

Ehem. So what do people think they'd morph into, 5 years from now?

What sorts were there, again, anyway? Elves, dragons, trolls,...
What else?

As much as I'd like to be a dragon, considering that I've always
been a 6-foot-kid-scare, I think my fate is sealed. :)

(IIRC, all the weird creatures in Shadowrun were just ordinary
people turning into something else with the arrival of magic.
Right?)

--
Tina
To Hell with internet.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Feb 18, 2007, 8:58:35 PM2/18/07
Tina Hall <Tina...@kruemel.org> did eloquently scribble:

> What sorts were there, again, anyway? Elves, dragons, trolls,...
> What else?

Only 2 things people morphed into. Trolls and Orcs.
Elves and Dwarves were born.
All the other creatures either woke up from a few thousand years of
hybernation of morphed from or were born from other animals.

:)

> As much as I'd like to be a dragon, considering that I've always
> been a 6-foot-kid-scare, I think my fate is sealed. :)

:)

> (IIRC, all the weird creatures in Shadowrun were just ordinary
> people turning into something else with the arrival of magic.
> Right?)

Dragons... no, they just woke up when the magic level was high enough.

Tina Hall

Feb 19, 2007, 2:38:00 AM2/19/07
Spike1 <spi...@ridcully.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Tina Hall <Tina...@kruemel.org> did eloquently scribble:

>> What sorts were there, again, anyway? Elves, dragons, trolls,...
>> What else?

> Only 2 things people morphed into. Trolls and Orcs.

What a thing to look forward to. Let's all cheer.

> Elves and Dwarves were born.

That's just not fair.

> All the other creatures either woke up from a few thousand years of
> hybernation of morphed from or were born from other animals.

[...]

> Dragons... no, they just woke up when the magic level was high enough.

Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while.

Tim Bruening

Feb 27, 2007, 11:47:45 PM2/27/07

Magda wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:30:44 GMT, in alt.tv.stargate-sg1, whodunit
> <pill...@sbcworldly.net> arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
>
> ... Anybody wrote:
> ... > Well, sort of. :-)
> ... >
> ... > From Slashdot.org ...
> ... >

> ... > Asteroid Highlighted as Impact Threat

> ... > -------------------------------------
> ... > The asteroid Apophis has been traversing the void of space
> ... > for untold years; in just a few decades time it will make
> ... > a very close pass to Earth, and could make an unwelcome
> ... > stop on our planet's surface. Even still, it's nothing to
> ... > get too worked up about. The 20-million-tonne object has a
> ... > 1 in 45,000 chance of hitting the Pacific Ocean in early
> ... > April of 2036. If it did hit, it could trigger a tsunami
> ... > that would do an untold amount of damage to the
> ... > California coastline and many other places on Earth.

> ... > Despite the low level of the threat, it's still a real
> ... > enough danger to prompt the United Nations to develop a
> ... > protocol about the scenario. We'll get a closeup look at
> ... > the object in 2029, and at that point we should have a
> ... > better idea of what 2036 will bring us.
> ... > http://tinyurl.com/28pu34

> ... That's okay. The Mayan prophesies say the end of the world is in 2012,

> ... so we're covered! ;-)
>
> Oh, no, it totally spoils the Olympics!!

The Mayan end is on December 12, 2012, after the Olympics.

whodunit

Feb 28, 2007, 12:20:46 AM2/28/07
Paging the Doctor, Doctor Who? Paging the Doctor! ;-)

Exhibitionist

Feb 28, 2007, 1:16:27 AM2/28/07
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:47:45 -0800, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> scribbled the following on a napkin:

Phew! I thought I might miss the curling finals. ;-)

Message has been deleted

whodunit

Feb 28, 2007, 10:51:31 AM2/28/07

Jack O'Neill, is that you?! :-)

Jay Kaner

Feb 28, 2007, 11:22:21 AM2/28/07

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message

Phew!! Close, then!!. The last thing we'd want is the end of the world
in the middle of the Olympics. Mind you, watching the marathon turn into a
sprint event would've been quite amusing. ;-)

Exhibitionist

Feb 28, 2007, 6:37:38 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:27:38 +0100, Magda <ma...@me.fr.eu> scribbled

the following on a napkin:

>I think I'll book a holiday far away from the maddening crowd... Patagonia, anyone?

Is MasterCard still accepting reservations at Madre de Dios?