LMB Reviews: Through a Mirror, Darkly

Louis M. Brown

Apr 23, 2005, 1:46:28 AM4/23/05
I said STOP, dammit!

Seriously, here's the synopsis..

We open with the Vulcan first contact ship landing in Cochrane's
compound and the vulcan dude stepping out and doing the greeting
thing. Cochrane gives his best approximation of the greeting, whips
out a pump-action shotgun and blows the vulcan away. The people then
rush the Vulcan ship and steal it. Segue to the opening scenes..whoa!
Very nice, instead of the whole "We're exploring peacefully," we see
scenes of the old Enterprise sailing ship kicking ass, and scenes of
war, all the way up to Enterprises time, along with intro music that
DOESN'T suck. We get into the meat of the ep with a Tellarite
'testing' out the agony booth, which moves into a takeover of the ship
by Archer, (who is the 2nd in command.)
Archer captures a Tholian pilot from a small tholian ship, and has
Phlox torture some information out of him.
Archer sets the ship up to go to a certain set of coordinates in
Tholian space, and locks things up so that when the REAL captain is
sprung from the brig, he can't change anything. He shows the real
reason he wants to go to those coordinates to the cpt.. .turns out a
ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
Enterprise 1701.
A few crew from NX01 beam over to see what they can gaffle from the
newer model ship, while NX-01 gets ratted out by the Tholian prisoner
(whom is promptly killed by Phlox) The Tholians englobe NX01, and
promptly kick their ass. Archer has 1701 powered up and is getting
ideas of what to do with her.....

Nits and Anti nits:

Ok, that intro was just too damned cool. Normally, it's ships
cruising peacefully..now it's ships crusing peacefully...while
launching torpedoes. <e,EG>

If the 1701 is advanced enough to kick tholian ass, then how the hell
did they capture it in the first place? Suckerpunch?

Porthos is a Rottweiler now? Too funny!

Archer should have been shot by Cpt. Forrest when he had him in his
sights on the bridge.

LMB's Gun Nits: That shotgun didn't seem to kick much when Cochrane
gave that vulcan guy an attitude adjustment. Plus, the one Archer was
holding was a bit too...prop-looking. I s'pose it *is* safer to give
Bakula a plastic/rubber replica, rather than the blank firing one, but
still, it'da been nicer. I may have to rewatch.

The phase pistols / rifles still seem a bit too close to what they
have in the "good" universe... you'd think they'd be a bit different,
I.E. no stun setting, better sights, more ergonomic.

Free Kloo, Archer. When handling a strange weapon, looking down what
is *OBVIOUSLY* the barrel of a weapon that you've never seen before is
a *BAD THING* And Reed goes with Mexican carry? Barrel up isn't
much safer than barrel down.... (and according to RWF, Reed ain't got
much to blow off anyway.... <e,eG>)

Grade: A+ VERY Entertaining ep. As my cousin said, "they should have
done it like this from the *beginning.* F*ck that good guy crap.

-LMB

Louis M. Brown

Apr 23, 2005, 1:48:50 AM4/23/05

Nits and Anti nits:

-LMB

ACK! FUCK! Brain fart, it's *NOT* 1701, it's the flipping Defiant!

-LMB

Message has been deleted

Comic-Kaze

Apr 23, 2005, 7:28:23 AM4/23/05
Exactly, haven't you see the TOS episode "Tholian Web"? The Defiant was lost
to a dimensional rift and apparentely, ended up here. That's where the whole
Tholian web thing comes from (except it came from the rear of the ship like
a Spider spinning a web in the orginal. this episode is more like the
Tholian Matrix).

Gee, I can't believe some Trekkies. I was on a sci-fi forum and some guy
actually said:

"Uhh, is it just me or does that Defiant look nothing like the one from
DS9?"

"Keeper of the Purple Twilight" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <9goj61d01rpke5vn0...@4ax.com>, Louis M. Brown

> <phy...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > turns out a
> > ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
> > Enterprise 1701.
>

> Uh, actually it's the DEFIANT, not the Enterprise. :)
>
> (didn't you see the 1764 on the hull? It's the ship right out of 'The
> Tholian Web')
>
> --
> "No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we
have
> pulled down the stars to our will."
> - Ezra Pound, poet and critic, 9/18/1912, reflecting on New York City

Message has been deleted

Brenda

Apr 23, 2005, 9:34:47 AM4/23/05

"Neon Knight" <knight...@spamex.com> wrote in message
> Louis M. Brown <phy...@rocketmail.com> wrote in

> > turns out a
> > ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
> > Enterprise 1701.
>
> Turns out you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Turns out he does. A mistake in the minutia doesn't negate his opinion.
If it did yours might not be worth...oh....a piss in a bucket. :)

NIce review, Louis, and I agree. This was a great episode.

Joseph S. Powell, III

Apr 23, 2005, 10:02:58 AM4/23/05

"Louis M. Brown" <phy...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

No. It was the Defiant, from the TOS ep The Tholian Web.
Now we know it's fate when it "faded away into another universe".

> A few crew from NX01 beam over to see what they can gaffle from the
> newer model ship, while NX-01 gets ratted out by the Tholian prisoner
> (whom is promptly killed by Phlox) The Tholians englobe NX01, and
> promptly kick their ass. Archer has 1701

No, it was the Defiant.

powered up and is getting
> ideas of what to do with her.....
>
> Nits and Anti nits:
>
> Ok, that intro was just too damned cool. Normally, it's ships
> cruising peacefully..now it's ships crusing peacefully...while
> launching torpedoes. <e,EG>
>
> If the 1701 is advanced enough to kick tholian ass, then how the hell
> did they capture it in the first place? Suckerpunch?

A. - As I stated, it was the Defiant. For a full explanation, see a TOS
episode guide and read up on the ep - The Tholian Web.

> Porthos is a Rottweiler now? Too funny!
>
> Archer should have been shot by Cpt. Forrest when he had him in his
> sights on the bridge.
>
> LMB's Gun Nits: That shotgun didn't seem to kick much when Cochrane
> gave that vulcan guy an attitude adjustment.

Probably only a 20 gage.

Plus, the one Archer was
> holding was a bit too...prop-looking. I s'pose it *is* safer to give
> Bakula a plastic/rubber replica, rather than the blank firing one, but
> still, it'da been nicer. I may have to rewatch.
>
> The phase pistols / rifles still seem a bit too close to what they
> have in the "good" universe... you'd think they'd be a bit different,
> I.E. no stun setting, better sights, more ergonomic.
>
> Free Kloo, Archer. When handling a strange weapon, looking down what
> is *OBVIOUSLY* the barrel of a weapon that you've never seen before is
> a *BAD THING*

Guess he wanted to look brave or something.

MrSpook

Apr 23, 2005, 9:52:58 AM4/23/05
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 06:52:38 -0500, Neon Knight
<knight...@spamex.com> wrote:

>Louis M. Brown <phy...@rocketmail.com> wrote in

>> turns out a
>> ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
>> Enterprise 1701.
>

>Turns out you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Heh-heh-heh.

Ya' think? ;)

MrSpook

Apr 23, 2005, 10:04:19 AM4/23/05

Steve B

Apr 23, 2005, 12:41:06 PM4/23/05
Tholian Web was on Spike TV last night. If you haven't seen it recently, go
back and watch it. They have really tied this Enterprise episode in nicely
to the TOS episode. In the Tholian Web, Spock talks about millions of
alternate universes, and that the Defiant has gone into one of these. Even
Cpt. Archer's comment about the Defiant's neck being broken (which it was on
the original TOS episode) fits in. Only downside is is that these tie ins
will only be appreciated by trekkies who have seen the original.

And - Louis - the Tholians of the past were probably able to overtake the
Defiant becuase the crew was probably already dead - the "madness" as seen
in the Tholian Web episode.

Overall a great episode. I'm looking forward to the conclusion. Watch the
Tholian Web again.

Louis M. Brown

Apr 23, 2005, 3:01:25 PM4/23/05
<knight...@spamex.com> wrote:

>> turns out a
>> ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
>> Enterprise 1701.
>

>Turns out you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Um, I fucked up and didn't read the hull, fuck you very much.

-LMB

Louis M. Brown

Apr 23, 2005, 3:04:10 PM4/23/05

Having rewatched, this time I actually read the damned hull. :P

But given Ent's normal treatment of the trek timeline, and the fact
that it's almost over, anything *could* happen.

>> A few crew from NX01 beam over to see what they can gaffle from the
>> newer model ship, while NX-01 gets ratted out by the Tholian prisoner
>> (whom is promptly killed by Phlox) The Tholians englobe NX01, and
>> promptly kick their ass. Archer has 1701
>
>No, it was the Defiant.
>
>powered up and is getting
>> ideas of what to do with her.....
>>
>> Nits and Anti nits:
>>
>> Ok, that intro was just too damned cool. Normally, it's ships
>> cruising peacefully..now it's ships crusing peacefully...while
>> launching torpedoes. <e,EG>
>>
>> If the 1701 is advanced enough to kick tholian ass, then how the hell
>> did they capture it in the first place? Suckerpunch?
>>

>A. - As I stated, it was the Defiant. For a full explanation, see a TOS
>episode guide and read up on the ep - The Tholian Web.

Seen it years ago.

>> Porthos is a Rottweiler now? Too funny!
>>
>> Archer should have been shot by Cpt. Forrest when he had him in his
>> sights on the bridge.
>>
>> LMB's Gun Nits: That shotgun didn't seem to kick much when Cochrane
>> gave that vulcan guy an attitude adjustment.
>
>Probably only a 20 gage.

Still, you're going to have a bit more kick than that....

> Plus, the one Archer was
>> holding was a bit too...prop-looking. I s'pose it *is* safer to give
>> Bakula a plastic/rubber replica, rather than the blank firing one, but
>> still, it'da been nicer. I may have to rewatch.
>>
>> The phase pistols / rifles still seem a bit too close to what they
>> have in the "good" universe... you'd think they'd be a bit different,
>> I.E. no stun setting, better sights, more ergonomic.
>>
>> Free Kloo, Archer. When handling a strange weapon, looking down what
>> is *OBVIOUSLY* the barrel of a weapon that you've never seen before is
>> a *BAD THING*
>

>Guess he wanted to look brave or something.

If by brave you mean "like a potential Darwin award winner," then yea.

> And Reed goes with Mexican carry? Barrel up isn't
>> much safer than barrel down.... (and according to RWF, Reed ain't got
>> much to blow off anyway.... <e,eG>)
>>
>> Grade: A+ VERY Entertaining ep. As my cousin said, "they should have
>> done it like this from the *beginning.* F*ck that good guy crap.
>>
>> -LMB

-LMB

MrSpook

Apr 23, 2005, 4:35:48 PM4/23/05

Is that an "assertation"?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Mirror Enterprise Fan

Apr 23, 2005, 10:03:19 PM4/23/05
Louis M. Brown wrote:
turns out a
> ship from a mirror universe is being held by the Tholians..it is the
> Enterprise 1701.

It's the Defiant, NCC-1764, a Constitution Class starship.

Also the title of your post should read;

LMB Reviews: In A Mirror, Darkly

Trekkies who make mistakes like yours in our Universe are immediately
thrown in the Agony Booth, especially at Sci-Fi Conventions so everyone
can laugh at them as well as toss peanuts, soda cans and food wrappers
at the booth.

<presses closed fist to chest, extends arm with fist salute>

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

Mirror Enterprise Fan

80 Knight

Apr 24, 2005, 1:16:33 AM4/24/05
"Mirror Enterprise Fan" <mirror_ent...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Down boy, down...

<80K>

MrSpook

Apr 24, 2005, 10:40:38 AM4/24/05
On 23 Apr 2005 19:03:19 -0700, "Mirror Enterprise Fan"
<mirror_ent...@yahoo.com> wrote:

LOL.