keep the early 80's shows coming...what shows do you want to see?

ComaToast

Aug 7, 2005, 12:35:53 PM8/7/05
I was happy to see last night they ran the Joan Rivers/ Musical Youth
Show, and next week are scheduled to run a Teri Garr/Mick Fleetwood
show. I really hope they keep it up and continute to run shows from
the 80-84 period. I realy wish the would show more from the Jean D
year, 80-81, but that's probably pushing my luck.
I think the shows I most wish they would repaet are: The Johnny Cash/
Elton John show, The Donnald Pleasance/ Fear from 85-86 the Billy
Martin /George Clinton show and most of all anything from the 80-81
season except the Jamie Lee Curtis/ James Brown show they all ready
ran. What shows do you want to see repeated?

-ComaToast

Sexually Passive Joel

Aug 7, 2005, 2:04:05 PM8/7/05
Oh my god musical youth were the band, holy shit I fell asleep during
the 2 Joans joke off. Man I would have recorded musical youth. Ahhee
this luck.

cptsolo

Aug 7, 2005, 2:30:13 PM8/7/05
Ed Begley Jr./ Billy Squier COMPLETE with the Elevator Stool sketch
(The only one Larry David got on air). Apparantly they only re-ran it
once after the original airing and that sketch was cut for some reason.

Peace

-Clint

http://www.clinthaller.zoomshare.com

ComaToast

Aug 7, 2005, 4:52:25 PM8/7/05
I am not familur with that skecth. Was Larry David a writer sor SNL in
the 80's? I did not know that.

-Comatoast

ComaToast

Aug 7, 2005, 5:18:47 PM8/7/05
Clint. I went to your linc and noticed you habe a lot of very cool
video. Do you do any trading I would really like to get a copy of the
SNL 1980 Charleen Tilton, Todd Rundgren/Prince show and the best of
1980-81. I have been collecting SNL shows now for about six years and
have about 400+ episode, some full shows Orginal Broadcst and some full
late night NBC re-peeats as well and of corse Comedy Central and E hour
edit. However I only have one show from the 1980-81 season. I do not
have am electroic list yet of all my shows, however I do have a
notebook checklist, and can let you know if I have a show you might me
looking for. All my shows are on VHS tape, no dvd.
-ComaToast

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 7, 2005, 5:32:14 PM8/7/05
There is no such thing as the Best of 1980-81. The Best of '80 video
cheated by using sketches from the previous season. Hell, the only place
that regularly reruns Doumanian shows is Canada.

ComaToast <ky...@lostweekendrecords.com> wrote in message

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 7, 2005, 5:33:14 PM8/7/05
No you don't.... a couple of the shows from '80-81 are pretty terrible,
particularly Ray Sharkey and Sally Kellerman. The other ones are pretty
good though. I even like the "infamous" Malcolm MacDowell episode.

"IT'S THE LUNGS!!"

ComaToast <ky...@lostweekendrecords.com> wrote in message

ComaToast

Aug 7, 2005, 5:50:46 PM8/7/05
Well that's a disapointment to here the ebst of 80 used clips from
another season. I don't realy care if the
Doumanian shows are terrible. I still would like to see them I have
not seen any except the Jamie Lee Curtis/ James Brown show since they
first aired.

--ComaToast

cptsolo

Aug 7, 2005, 6:54:44 PM8/7/05
Yeah I can hook you up with the Charlene Tilton episode. Dr. Tom B.
Whatever is correct about the Best of '80-81 tape. It features no
Doumanian stuff. It is from the TimeLife collection and features about
35-40Mins each from these episodes all a part of the first sesaon of
the Ebersol era ;

No Host 10-3-81
Susan Saint James 10-10-81
George Kennedy 10-17-81

Later,
-Clint

http://www.clinthaller.zoomshare.com

Sexually Passive Joel

Aug 7, 2005, 7:06:58 PM8/7/05
Just wondering. Who was the cast, and what sketches were from the
Doumanian era?
Digging deeper now, what is the story behind his hiring and firing,
I'm guessing there.

The Chris

Aug 7, 2005, 10:34:47 PM8/7/05
"Sexually Passive Joel" <Joelp...@cox.net> wrote in

You are guessing there - I think *he* was a *she*. Right??

She's covered pretty well in the book I'm still reading - 'Live from New
York'. In a nutshell, she was hired after Lorne and the original cast
left. She got a bunch of new players, but the shows were awful, she tried
to change some key things, and ratings were bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Doumanian

3finger

Aug 8, 2005, 11:56:21 AM8/8/05
"ComaToast" <ky...@lostweekendrecords.com> wrote:

I don't know in which episode it aired, but I would love to see the
segment that spoofed Playboy with the "Women of SNL" ad that had Robin,
Mary and Julia cavorting around in lingerie. :)

--
3finger
Chicago Cubs, Back-to-Back World Champions ... 1907-1908

Joe

Aug 9, 2005, 9:35:44 AM8/9/05
The full George Kennedy show would be great too!

birddogger

Aug 9, 2005, 2:32:45 PM8/9/05
I remember when CC aired the Tilton episode some years back, and I
watched it with baited breath waiting to see Charles Rocket drop the
f-bomb at the end. I figured they'd edit out the offending word, but
they went ahead and removed the entire dialogue prior to the
goodnights. All you saw after the commercial was Rocket in his
wheelchair surrounded by host and cast, waving as the credits rolled.

Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo were noticably giggling something to
eachother in the background, but that's about the only indication of
anything out of the ordinary that night.

birddogger

Aug 9, 2005, 3:02:12 PM8/9/05
You "like" the Malcom McDowell episode? I'm assuming you "like" it in
the same way people "like" shows like "Saved By The Bell" or "Small
Wonder" - they're so bad you have to keep watching them to drink in the
full effect.

"Serf's up!" - god, what an awful sketch.

birddogger

Aug 9, 2005, 3:52:39 PM8/9/05
I remember that one. Too bad they couldn't have waited a couple years
on that one when Pamela Stephenson joined the cast. Robin Duke just
sorta ruins the fantasy, kind like Felicity Huffington on "Desperate
Housewives". What's that ugg-o doing in there with all those hotties?

3finger

Aug 9, 2005, 5:40:56 PM8/9/05
"birddogger" <running...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No freakin' way. Felicity Huffman is just as smokin' hot as any of the
other Housewives, and maybe more so. As for Duke - well, Julia and Mary
kind of made up for whatever inadequacies Robin had. And I know that
Julia was the "hottie" of that case, but Mary Gross had that vibe - that
kind of nasty chick inside the modest exterior vibe.

But don't dis Felicity. :)

birddogger

Aug 9, 2005, 5:53:04 PM8/9/05
As I just posted in another thread, Gross was definitely hotter than
she was really given credit for. She hid behind those specs and Little
Dutch Boy haircut too much, and didn't show off the curves enough. Of
course, when the bulk of your screen time comes from playing a male
(Alfafa), you're not going to be able to show much off.

"Smokin' hot" and "Felicity Huffman" are not two phrases I would ever
expect to see in the same sentence. I will admit that these pics -
http://felicity-huffman.com/ - are the best I've ever seen her look,
but she still be ugly. As Larry the Cable Guy would say, she's
"Glamour Shots" ugly.

3finger

Aug 10, 2005, 12:25:47 AM8/10/05
"birddogger" <running...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Smokin' hot" and "Felicity Huffman" are not two phrases I would ever
> expect to see in the same sentence. I will admit that these pics -
> http://felicity-huffman.com/ - are the best I've ever seen her look,
> but she still be ugly. As Larry the Cable Guy would say, she's
> "Glamour Shots" ugly.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, as misguided as it may be. But I
defy you to watch episodes of one of her previous shows, "Sports Night,"
and then defend your opinion.

But, yeah, Mary Gross was the bomb. Her semitopless scene in "Club
Paradise" was about the only reason to watch that film.

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 10, 2005, 12:47:16 AM8/10/05
The cast were:

Denny Dillon (who did a stand-up bit in the '75 Rob Reiner episode)
Gilbert Gottfried (who was then very mellow and had an afro)
Gail Matthius (who went on to voice cartoons, such as "Tiny Toons" and
"Bobby's World")
Eddie Murphy (eventually... he started as a featured player)
Joe Piscopo
Ann Risley (a Shakespearean actress with little comedic talent... you can
tell....)
Charles Rocket (an ex-news anchor, and a funny comedian in his own right,
but got fired from SNL for
saying audibly mumbling the word "fuck" during a 'Dallas' parody)

Before the last episode, Gottfried, Risley, and Rocket were fired, and
replaced with Robin Duke, Tim Kazurinsky, and Tony Rosato. However, Dillon
and Matthius disappeared before the next season began.

As for sketches, the season established a number of recurring characters in
its brief, stunted life. Among them...
-Leo and Pinky Waxman (Dillon & Gottfried) who hosted a show that seemed
to foreshadow "Coffee Talk"
-Vickie the Valley Girl (Matthius) whose vocabulary was made up of
phrases like "fer shure"
-The Rocket Report (a very entertaining series of "man on the street"
news reports by Charles)
-Phil Lively (Rocket), a game show host who never broke his TV persona,
even at home
-Mary Louise (Dillon), a loud brat who blamed her outbursts on her sock
puppet
-a couple yet-to-be-recurring bits began here too: "Mr Robinson" and "I
Married A Monkey".

There were many funny one-off bits too - the horror movie parody about
clothespins (the Curtis show) was very clever, Gail Matthius did an
energetic spoof of Irene Cara that climaxed with her leading the cast and
guests in a dance around the studio, Charles Rocket played the 'Accordion
Killer' who murdered women to the tune of "Lady of Spain", Gilbert Gottfried
played a loud obnoxious Italian comic, and most of the cast appeared in a
hilarious commercial for the Ed McMahon School of Laughing.

Unfortunately, these 13 forgotten episodes didn't get a "Best Of", and no
sketches (save the "Highway Education" commercial) have appeared on
compilations. In fact, all of my Doumanian episodes were taped years ago
off of a Canadian station...

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 10, 2005, 12:50:04 AM8/10/05
It had it's moments. I liked the tobacco ad, the sketch about Amy Carter,
the sketch where Ann Risley is looking for romance novels, and "The Wine
Cellar". Granted, it wasn't a classic episode by any means, but it's not
completely horrible like that one book makes it out to be. (But yeah,
"Commie Hunting" really was as bad as the book made it out to be.) Jack The
Stripper was even kinda funny.

And, for that matter, I know someone who regularly quotes "Serf City"!

birddogger <running...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 10, 2005, 12:53:26 AM8/10/05
It's kind of funny, because the reaction from the others on stage is so
delayed, but then everyone's expression suddenly changes. The audience goes
nuts :-)

birddogger <running...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Aug 10, 2005, 12:54:05 AM8/10/05
Oh, and as for what show I want repeated - Elliott Gould/Kid Creole. My
copy is horrid quality until Weekend Update.

The Chris

Aug 10, 2005, 8:45:06 AM8/10/05
3finger <cubf...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in news:cubfan23-
BAFBA0.144...@news1.west.earthlink.net:

With Eva, Terri, and Nicolette around.... Felicity is a distant fourth.
It's that Marcia Cross that really creeps me out.. :)

The Chris

Aug 10, 2005, 8:46:51 AM8/10/05
3finger <cubf...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in news:cubfan23-
5CCB99.212...@news1.west.earthlink.net:

*note to self..... watch 'Club Paradise' :)

birddogger

Aug 10, 2005, 10:58:41 AM8/10/05
That's right, I forgot about that. A pretty forgettable 80's comedy,
despite some decent performances by a stellar cast - Gross, Robin
Williams, Andrea Martin, Peter O'Toole, Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy.
Moranis and Levy as the wannabe stubs was pretty funny, other than that
it sucked. Definitely a "Comedy Central Sunday Afternoon Movie" if
ever ther was one.

I do recall the semi-topless scene. Her and her friend on the beach,
and she's shown from the back removing her bikini top. Good side boob
view, but that's it. Just enough to let you know that she was pretty
fine all the way around.

birddogger

Aug 10, 2005, 11:01:38 AM8/10/05
Yeah, but she's pretty much supposed to creep you out, with that
Stepford Wife character of hers.

I still remember her playing Rebecca's younger sister on an episode of
"Cheers" back in the day. She looked much better then.

birddogger

Aug 10, 2005, 11:02:34 AM8/10/05
studs - not stubs.

Rupert Pupkin

Aug 10, 2005, 12:27:51 PM8/10/05
Club Paradise is hilarious. Why does everyone put it down all the time?

3finger

Aug 10, 2005, 12:27:47 PM8/10/05
In article <Xns96AE592...@129.250.170.85>,
The Chris <cab...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

I don't know - I definitely wouldn't kick Marcia out of bed. Redheads
always do it for me, and don't forget her impressive "Housewives" scene
when she traded in her sweater sets for some very sexy red lingerie.

ComaToast

Aug 11, 2005, 11:49:55 PM8/11/05
Clint...Sorry to just now get back to you I was off line a few days. I
would like to get the Charlene Tilton episode. I am not interested in
the best of 80-81 I actually have that now that you said what shows are
on it. I am mostly interested in the Dounamian shows. email me
Ky...@lostweekendrecords.com about a trade.

thank
Kyle

ComaToast

Aug 12, 2005, 4:27:33 PM8/12/05
Clint...Sorry to just now get back to you I was off line a few days. I

would like to get the Charlene Tilton episode. I am not interested in
the best of 80-81 I actually have that now that you said what shows are

on it. I am mostly interested in the Dounamian shows. email me

K...@lostweekendrecords.com about a trade.

thank
Kyle

Ben Abich

Aug 12, 2005, 5:07:25 PM8/12/05
Ah yes! I remember it well. The parody song was called, 'Same' and was
sung to the tune of 'Fame'

Same!
I sing the same song forever!!!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Dr. Tom B. Whatever wrote:

> There were many funny one-off bits too - Gail Matthius did an

> energetic spoof of Irene Cara that climaxed with her leading the cast and

> guests in a dance around the studio, ...

birddogger

Aug 12, 2005, 10:31:15 PM8/12/05
I only saw the CC version, which edited out Jack The Stripper. I had
already read the book and was intently waiting for that sketch, since
they made it sound like it was quite pointless.

Larchman

Aug 16, 2005, 8:29:41 PM8/16/05
That wasn't a bad episode by that season's standards.

Actually, I think I was the original person who had to hybrid that
episode...when I taped it from CN I didn't notice until after the fact
that my cable went out for the first half hour (until right after Gould
introduced Kid Creole). I had a copy from Comedy Central for some
reason and copied the two parts onto a separate tape.

I might be getting a better quality version soon.

birddogger

Aug 17, 2005, 11:18:01 AM8/17/05
I remember that Ed McMahon School of Laughing sketch, with Piscopo in
heavy makeup that rendered him unrecognizable. Guess I always thought
that one came in one of the later seasons when Ebersol took over.
Probably because it was actually funny.

birddogger

Aug 17, 2005, 11:22:22 AM8/17/05
It's a mildly amusing movie, one that probably only partially deserves
its bad rep. Partially.

The Chris

Aug 17, 2005, 11:42:13 AM8/17/05

> It's a mildly amusing movie, one that probably only partially deserves
> its bad rep. Partially.

Jeez, you've taken so long to respond - and without quoting - I don't even
remember what your referring to! :)