Do the scriptwriters read this group?

Carl Oppedahl

Nov 12, 1992, 12:18:30 AM11/12/92

So I really wanna know ... does anyone have any hard evidence as to
whether the scriptwriters for tthe Simpsons read this newsgroup?

Also, has anybody noticed that in the opening sequence, when the
music says "The Simp-sons" in three syllables, the letters come through
the clouds that way? That is, if you freeze the picture after the sound
of the syllable "Simp" but before the syllable "sons", what you see on
the screen is missing the letters "sons".

Also I suspect the vocalists for that jingle enunciate extra clearly to
accentuate this.

Carl Oppedahl AA2KW (intellectual property lawyer)
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112-0228
voice 212-408-2578 fax 212-765-2519

Bucky Whaley

Nov 13, 1992, 9:20:12 PM11/13/92
fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>oppe...@panix.com (Carl Oppedahl) writes:
>>So I really wanna know ... does anyone have any hard evidence as to
>>whether the scriptwriters for tthe Simpsons read this newsgroup?
>
>Yes. They do. Or, someone somehow involved with official Simpsons-dom does.
>
>Some time ago we figured out a strategy to test this theory. The strategy was
>to come up with something sufficiently unusual that if we were to see it in the
>show, we would surely know it was from us, but not so unusual (or obscene) that
>they certainly wouldn't run it.
>
>People discussed various "mmm..." completions, like "mmm...usenet". Someone
>who no longer seems to live here on alt.tv.simpsons but was a frequent poster
>at the time, who lives in Norway, suggested some preparation of fish which she
>and many others described as not worth eating (although enthusiasts also
>emerged), entitled lutefisk, with, if I'm not mistaken, an umlaut over the
>`u'. So several people started posting "Mmm...lutefisk" and people added it to
>their .signatures, etc.
>
>Finally we were rewarded with an occurrence in an issue of Simpsons Illustrated
>in which Bart and Lisa go trick-or-treating and receive some lutefisk from Ned
>Flanders. I find this fairly compelling. The timing was as would be expected.

David Hyatt first proposed the idea that we repeat a catchphrase such as
"Mmm... something-or-other" to see if it would be incorporated into OFF's
world. Ted Frank suggested lutefisk. Cindy Kandolf (of Trondheim, Norway)
explained how appalling she finds even thinking about eating lutefisk.
All this took place back in mid-March.

After lutefisk cropped up as a Halloween treat in the last issue of
_Simpson's Illustrated_, El Bairdo (TM) said cryptically that he would
not confirm or deny having had anything to do with its inclusion.

-Bucky "We please to aim" Whaley

Everybody's stupid except Homer Simpson & the folks who wrote this disclaimer:
--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information