Simpsons/Jetsons

Robert J. Drabek

May 7, 1990, 11:53:03 AM5/7/90
I watched my second Simpsons last night (except for their appearances on
Tracy Ullman), and caught the opening for the first time. Has anyone
else noted a similarity to the Jetsons (for those old enough or who have
seen the Jetsons in reruns)? The music and the cutting from one short
scene to the next was suggestive to me; I vaguely recall the mother
shopping and the father coming home from work in the Jetsons' opening.
Also, the family structure is similar, with the littlest girl replacing
the dog (neither talks). The closeness between father and son and between
mother and daughter is a last similarity I'll mention.

These are only superficial appearances, though. The Jetsons (unless I
am missing something) are without any depth. The sci-fi content was
about the only redeeming feature of the program. The Simpsons are often
touching (if not quite poignant). Social issues are not totally taboo.
But then Matt Groening has been practicing his wit and satire for his
entire life (including his childhood). Perhaps he had fun with the
Jetsons as a kid and his commercial TV venture reflects that.

I especially appreciate the distinction made between the male and
female. The males are always assuming they must be superior and and
continuously struggling to prove it. The females almost assume the males
are superior, don't struggle to prove anything but go ahead and do their
work, and then come out superior in the end. Even then they have to use
words to make it seem the men (boys) are still better.

Well, anyway I am glad reruns exist so I can catch a few more shows, and
I am glad I have a VCR since the show coincides with David Suzuki's
Nature of Things. And why has Fox placed The Simpsons between America's
Most Wanted and that other show whose name has escaped me? Maybe we can
get them to move it to a more advantageous time slot with a letter
campaign.

As a final note, the existence of this group is what influenced me to
sit down and give the show a watch. Thank you.

--
Robert J. Drabek rob...@cs.Arizona.EDU
Department of Computer Science uunet!arizona!robert

ska...@eagle.wesleyan.edu

May 7, 1990, 8:56:01 AM5/7/90
In article <21...@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, rob...@cs.arizona.edu (Robert J. Drabek) writes:
> I watched my second Simpsons last night (except for their appearances on
> Tracy Ullman), and caught the opening for the first time. Has anyone
> else noted a similarity to the Jetsons (for those old enough or who have
> seen the Jetsons in reruns)? The music and the cutting from one short
> scene to the next was suggestive to me; I vaguely recall the mother
> shopping and the father coming home from work in the Jetsons' opening.
> Also, the family structure is similar, with the littlest girl replacing
> the dog (neither talks). The closeness between father and son and between
> mother and daughter is a last similarity I'll mention.

The theme to the Simpsons is very much a take off from the Jetsons....
but what I am wondering is if the name Simpsons is a take off as well..

The Jetsons were named due to the idea of Space age (Jet) times....Hence the
family name....

I am wondering if the Name Simpsons has to do with the fact they are
Simpletons? Can anyone confirm this?

-SKa...@eagle.wes.edu
Steve Karon

Laura Lemay - Lone Tech Writer of the Apocalypse

May 7, 1990, 9:16:01 PM5/7/90
In article <21...@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> rob...@cs.arizona.edu (Robert J. Drabek) writes:
> And why has Fox placed The Simpsons between America's
> Most Wanted and that other show whose name has escaped me? Maybe we can
> get them to move it to a more advantageous time slot with a letter
> campaign.

I believe it was placed there purely by accident; sunday has always been
Fox's biggest night. And 8:30 is a good time for the kiddies to watch
it before they go to bed.

And actually, it has turned out to be an EXCELLENT time for Fox. It
seems that ABC puts its highest rated show: "America's Funniest Home
Videos" on at 8pm until 8:30. From the numbers I've heard, 80% of
ABC's audience at 8:30 promptly flips to Fox to watch the Simpsons.
ABC has been trying desperately to find a show for 8:30 that will keep
people there. It's actually quite amusing at times. In particular, if
you flipped over late last week (like I did), you'd notice that the
ABC show at 8:30 began with some random person talking into the phone,
going "WHAT? The Simpsons aren`t on tonight???" :-)

The only time ABC's 8:30 show beat the simpsons was when they put on
another "Videos" show after it. Aren't network wars fun?

PS: yes, I am one of the degenerates who watches America's FUnniest Home
Videos. I like it. So sue me.

Laura Lemay le...@sun.com
Redhead. Drummer. Geek. sun!lemay

Dan Rodriguez

May 11, 1990, 1:29:43 AM5/11/90
In article <21...@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, rob...@cs.arizona.edu (Robert J. Drabek) writes...

>I watched my second Simpsons last night (except for their appearances on
>Tracy Ullman), and caught the opening for the first time. Has anyone
>else noted a similarity to the Jetsons (for those old enough or who have
>seen the Jetsons in reruns)? The music and the cutting from one short
>scene to the next was suggestive to me; I vaguely recall the mother
>shopping and the father coming home from work in the Jetsons' opening.
>Also, the family structure is similar, with the littlest girl replacing
>the dog (neither talks). The closeness between father and son and between
>mother and daughter is a last similarity I'll mention.

If I am not mistaken, I heard/read that the person who wrote the theme
for The Simps' *IS* the person who wrote the theme for The Jetsons.

Can anyone confirm?

Dan

Dan Rodriguez ! 1990: Okay, I'll give *THIS* decade
Digital Equipment Corporation ! a chance, but don't screw it up.

Brad Souder

May 10, 1990, 12:23:22 PM5/10/90
Drabek) says:

>Tracy Ullman), and caught the opening for the first time. Has anyone
>else noted a similarity to the Jetsons (for those old enough or who have
>seen the Jetsons in reruns)? The music and the cutting from one short
>scene to the next was suggestive to me; I vaguely recall the mother
>shopping and the father coming home from work in the Jetsons' opening.
>Also, the family structure is similar, with the littlest girl replacing
>the dog (neither talks). The closeness between father and son and between
>mother and daughter is a last similarity I'll mention.
>
>--
>Robert J. Drabek rob...@cs.Arizona.EDU
>Department of Computer Science uunet!arizona!robert
>The University of Arizona 602 621 4326
>Tucson, AZ 85721

There were two openings for the Jetsons that I can remember (from reruns).
One was of George coming home and being greeted by his family, getting his
slippers, pipe, etc. and taking Astro for a walk. Of course Astro decides to
chase a cat and George ends up caught in the treadmill. The other opening was
of the entire family leaving in the morning. Dropping the kids out of the car
over their schools and his wife, along with his wallet, over a department store
then on into his office.
One condradiction, however, Astro did talk. Who could forget the immortal
line, "Rut Ro Rorge!"?
-------
* * *
* Brad Souder * BASO...@MIAVX1.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU *
* Miami Universiy * BS33...@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU *
* (that's Miami of Ohio) * BS33...@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU *
* Operator/Consultant * ?? BSO...@NEXT5.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU *
* & Moria Addict * *
* * *
* *
* "Thinking is what we do when we don't know what to do"- unknown *
* *

Roy Goodman

May 11, 1990, 12:18:53 PM5/11/90

In article <11...@shlump.nac.dec.com>, d_rod...@csc32.dec.com (Dan Rodriguez) writes...

>If I am not mistaken, I heard/read that the person who wrote the theme
>for The Simps' *IS* the person who wrote the theme for The Jetsons.

Now, *that* would be interesting...but I don't think so. Danny Elfman (of
Oingo Boingo fame, also wrote the theme for Beetlejuice) wrote the Simpson's
theme music. I doubt that way back when the Jetsons were getting started that
Mr Elfman would have been considered for writing the theme. (How old is he,
anyway? *Could* he have written it? Barring any Mozart-like prodigalness, I
mean.)

Roy Goodman Digital Equipment Corporation
goo...@thebay.enet.dec.com 455 Market Street, Suite 700
..!decwrl!thebay.enet!goodman San Francisco, CA 94105
goodman%theba...@decwrl.dec.com +1 415 882 3690
Disclaimer: These opinions are mine only. Thank goodness.

Neil Gilmore

May 13, 1990, 4:52:33 AM5/13/90
In article <90130.1123...@MIAMIU.BITNET>, BS33...@MIAMIU.BITNET (Brad Souder) writes...

>In article <21...@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, rob...@cs.arizona.edu (Robert J.
>Drabek) says:
>>
>>Tracy Ullman), and caught the opening for the first time. Has anyone
>>else noted a similarity to the Jetsons (for those old enough or who have
>>seen the Jetsons in reruns)? The music and the cutting from one short

> There were two openings for the Jetsons that I can remember (from reruns).
>One was of George coming home and being greeted by his family, getting his

The dog-walking scene was the ending to the original series. I haven't
seen it as an intro to the reruns.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito Neil Gilmore internet:gil...@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir, MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3 |
| Middle Kingdom Madison, Wi DoD #00000064 (no ints here) |

Chris Adamson

May 13, 1990, 12:59:54 PM5/13/90
In article <11...@shlump.nac.dec.com> d_rod...@csc32.dec.com (Dan Rodriguez) writes:

>If I am not mistaken, I heard/read that the person who wrote the theme
>for The Simps' *IS* the person who wrote the theme for The Jetsons.
>
>Can anyone confirm?
>
>Dan

I doubt it. The Simpsons theme is by Danny Elfman, lead singer/
songwriter of Oingo Boingo (if you haven't heard of them, imagine a punk
band with a horn section) who scores movies and TV on the side (most notably
"Batman", "Beetlejuice", "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", etc.). He's a little too
young to have written the Jetson's theme, now 25 years old.

On an interview, however, he said he did try to model the Simpsons
theme after the classic opening sequences like The Jetsons -- notice how
the style of the music is appropriate for whichever character is on screen:
industrial rhythm for Homer at work, suburban chimes for Marge and Maggie
driving along, elementary school band hell for Lisa. Reminds me of the
breaks/solos in the Jetsons theme.
--Chris Adamson (mac...@portia.stanford.edu)

Kyle Jones

May 14, 1990, 12:49:53 PM5/14/90
Dan Rodriguez writes:
> If I am not mistaken, I heard/read that the person who wrote the theme
> for The Simps' *IS* the person who wrote the theme for The Jetsons.
>
> Can anyone confirm?

Danny Elfman penned the Simpsons theme, as well as the scores for
the movies _Beetlejuice_ and _Batman_. He's still a rather young
man, it's doubtful that he wrote the Jetsons theme.

The Grey Wolf

May 14, 1990, 2:16:17 PM5/14/90

>If I am not mistaken, I heard/read that the person who wrote the theme
>for The Simps' *IS* the person who wrote the theme for The Jetsons.
>
>Can anyone confirm?

I thought Danny Elfman (of Oingo Boingo fame/infamy) had written the
music for the Simpsons. Of course, this *might* not include the theme...

>Dan

>Dan Rodriguez ! 1990: Okay, I'll give *THIS* decade
>Digital Equipment Corporation ! a chance, but don't screw it up.

Brain fried. (Explanation is in file "core".)