Upcoming Episodes plus STUFF for "Homer to the Max" (AABF09)

Scan

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Bullit17 wrote:

> >How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
> >different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
> >Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.
>
> And don't forget Allison Taylor and Mother Simpson.

Also, Troy McClure, briefly in an episode where Homer was changing
channels, Ralph, in an early episode commenting on Lisa's STYLE, it
sounded like Nelson's. Also Maggie gurgles were voiced by Nancy
Cartwright in the second Herb Powell episode.

Scan

Scan

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

> GOOFS/FREEZE FRAME/WHATNOT
> "Regular-length episode" pilots aren't usually shown, especially if
> some of the characters have changed (mainly because they don't want to
> confuse the viewers).

I have two examples. Newsradio aired its pilot episode with a different
actor playing "Joe" and a different actress who played Catherine(although
she had no lines)
The pilot episode of Friends had a different actress playing Ross's ex-wife
Carole. I know she's not a main character, but it has happened before so I
wouldn't count it as a mistake.
Scan

Don Del Grande

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
FOX
---
2/14: I'm With Cupid (AABF11)
Sir Elton John and Jan Hooks guest voice when Apu's Valentine's
Day gift to his wife makes the other husbands in Springfield pale
in comparison
2/21: Marge Simpson in: "Screaming Yellow Honkers" (AABF10)
When Homer buys the "women's" version of the Canyonero, he gives it
to Marge, but she's soon consumed by the car's power and turns
aggressive
2/28: Make Room For Lisa (AABF12)
Lisa has to share Bart's room with him, and her only refuge is in
sensory deprevation; Marge listens in on cellular phone calls

Syndication
-----------
*** Looks like it's ANIMALS WEEK ***
2/ 8: Bart Gets an Elephant (1F15)
Bart wins an elephant in a radio contest, but when Homer tries
to sell it, Bart runs away with it
2/ 9: Bart's Dog Gets an F (7F14)
Homer threatens to sell Santa's Little Helper unless SLH can
pass obedience training
2/10: Lisa's Pony (8F06)
Homer has to work nights at the Kwik-E-Mart to pay for Lisa's
new pony
2/11: Two Dozen and One Greyhounds (2F18)
Santa's Little Helper fathers 25 puppies, which Mr. Burns
wants to turn into a greyhound-skin vest
2/12: Dog of Death (8F17)
Santa's Little Helper runs away and ends up as one of Mr.
Burns' guard dogs

*** Looks like it's FIRST TIME IN SYNDICATION WEEK ***
2/15: The Principal and The Pauper (4F23)
Principal Skinner is revealed to be an impostor
2/16: Lisa the Simpson (4F24)
Lisa is worried that she's becoming as dumb as Homer and Bart
2/17: Simpson Tide (3G04)
Homer joins the Navy Reserve and ends up leading a submarine
into Russian waters
2/18: Bart Star (5F03)
Football coach Homer replaces Nelson with Bart
2/19: Lisa the Skeptic (5F05)
Lisa is not convinced that what was discovered at an
archeological dig is an angel

***** Where's the list of "second episodes"? *****
For those of you who ask "where's the 'second national run'
syndication schedule?", there is no more "second national run";
any station that shows a second (or more) syndicated episode
each night pays the syndicators for the rights (well, for the
rights to show its own commercials rather than the ones the
syndicators give them), which includes the rights to show
whatever episodes they want. You have to ask the local station
which episodes it is showing; some stations list their
syndicated episodes in "TV Guide".

STUFF for "Homer to the Max" (AABF09)
-------------------------------------
Written by John Swartzwelder
Directed by Pete Michels
Special Guest Voice: Ed Begley, Jr.
Also Starring: Tress MacNeille, Maggie Roswell, Karl Wiedergott
Chalkboard: NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA
Couch: Marge carries in a laundry basket and hangs the others to dry
on a clothesline (repeat of 5F19)
Overseas Animation: Akom; N.J. Kim
Rating: TV-PG-DV

REVIEW: B-plus - pretty good for an episode with a "separated subplot"
(assuming you consider the "Homer Simpson" bit a subplot to
the "Max Powers" bit), although I may be giving Swartzwelder
the benefit of the doubt a little here

REFERENCES
"All in the Family" (the "new version")
"Goldfinger" (Homer's "Max Power" song)
Swabbing mace rather than spraying it is a reference to a court case
in northern California where protestors sued police for brutality when
they broke up a sit-in by swabbing the protestors' eyes with mace; the
first case was a hung jury, but the prosecutors decided not to try the
case again
"Max Headroom" (Homer's name comes from something written somewhere)
(maybe) "The Tracey Ullman Show" (Chesty LaRue may have been a
character in one of that show's sketches)

SELF-REFERENCE
"Networks like animated shows because they don't have to pay the
actors squat"

DYNs
...the sign behind the judge says "Springfield Municiple Court" - and
right when the judge tells Homer he's using the one name Homer
spelled right?
...Mr. Largo and the Capitol City Goofball appear? (Has Mr. Largo
appeared since he was fired in "Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part 2"?)
...the Springfield Shopper headline reads "IT'S WAR!"?
...in Springfield, you can (apparently) change your name right away?
(In California, it takes at least four weeks)
...when the trees knocked each other over, they managed to change
directions?

GOOFS/FREEZE FRAME/WHATNOT
"Regular-length episode" pilots aren't usually shown, especially if
some of the characters have changed (mainly because they don't want to
confuse the viewers).

There's nothing new about changing a character's personality if it
doesn't do very well; for example. "The Redd Foxx Show" changed Foxx
from a "lovable father figure" to "his old Fred Sanford persona".

How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.

Homer's arm appears to go right through the chain.

When Homer makes his comment about animated shows, his body shakes
like he's laughing long before you can hear him laugh.

Don Del Grande, del_g...@netvista.net
CHARMS, LSFC, PPPGALF
S1.1 MAG+++ LIS++ BAR+ SKI+ MrsK+ MissH+ P&S# FLA- (heresy!)
f+++ n+++ Ilps(w) $+++ M36
NBC didn't have to pay the cast of "Friends" squat, either - until...

Mike Smith

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Don Del Grande wrote in message <36be7068...@news.supernews.com>...

>...Mr. Largo and the Capitol City Goofball appear? (Has Mr. Largo
> appeared since he was fired in "Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part 2"?)

Yes, he did! In Season 8's "Lisa's Date with Destiny" (4F01). I think you
didn't see that one last Tuesday.

>...the Springfield Shopper headline reads "IT'S WAR!"?

Does that meant that the French have secretly built more nutron bombs with
"Intel Inside" written on it?

>How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
>different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
>Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.

I know of one! Maggie! She was voiced by many different persons, from Liz
Taylor ("Lisa's First Word"), to Harry Shearer ("Treehouse Of Horror IX"),
to James Earl Jones ("THOH V").

Joey AKA Gary

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Moe and Mr. Burns were voiced by a differnet man in the first couple shows.
he was to be a regular but he died soon into the show. Anyone want to help
me with a name here?

--
Gareth McGahey Wilson, who has posted as Gary, Joey Joe-Joe Jr., and Joey
AKA Gary as well as other combinations of the two!

Become part of the wide-spread craze @ my web site www.come.to\spyland

Scan wrote in message <36BF39A2...@wport.com>...

>Bullit17 wrote:
>
>> >How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
>> >different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
>> >Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.

Haynes Lee

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 05:05:10 GMT, del_g...@netvista.net (Don Del
Grande) wrote:

>"Max Headroom" (Homer's name comes from something written somewhere)

The title character hit his head on an overpass which said
"max(imum) headroom".

Bullit17

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
>How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
>different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
>Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.

And don't forget Allison Taylor and Mother Simpson.

Mr. Poopybutt

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Joey AKA Gary wrote:

> Moe and Mr. Burns were voiced by a differnet man in the first couple shows.
> he was to be a regular but he died soon into the show. Anyone want to help
> me with a name here?

welll.... Mr. burns sounds the same to me (voice wise) although he was voiced
more harshly.... just like Homer.

Ben Collins

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
In article <6%Iv2.6$0p5...@news.rdc1.md.home.com>, "Joey AKA Gary"
<garo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Moe and Mr. Burns were voiced by a differnet man in the first couple shows.
>he was to be a regular but he died soon into the show. Anyone want to help
>me with a name here?

The name's Christopher Collins (I wonder if we're related?). He left the
show because he couldn't divide the time between his voice-over work and
stand-up comedy; comedians often have to be on the road for weeks. This also
explains why Mr. Burns and Smithers are both voiced by the same man; the
original plan was for Chris Collins to do Burns and Harry Shearer to play
Smithers. When Collins left, Shearer took over Burns' voice, Hank Azaria did
Moe the bartender, etc.

Also, Collins died five years after he left OFF, on June 12, 1994.
/---------------------------------------\
| Ben Collins szy...@worldnet.att.net |
| "Marge, it takes two to lie. |
| One to lie, and one to listen." |
| - Homer Jay Simpson |
\---------------------------------------/

JEdraw

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

del_g...@netvista.net (Don Del Grande) writes:
>How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
>different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
>Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.

Christopher Collins did the voices of (I think) Moe and Mr. Burns in the
first season before his death. Also, Maggie has had several voices, Homer had
Snake's voice in "Hell Toupee," and Homer's mother has been done by Tress
MacNeille and Glenn Close.

- Jordan Eisenberg -- <http://members.aol.com/JEdraw/Simpsons/>
- <JEd...@aol.com> -- ( S1.2 OFF+++ APU# MAU! OTT@ f+++ )
- ( n++/+++ Ilpswo $+++ 7G12, 8F13, 9Fxx, 1Fxx, 2F01 M1983 )
- "This leash demeans us both." (8F23)

JEdraw

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

Scan <sc...@wport.com> writes:
>Also, Troy McClure, briefly in an episode where Homer was changing
>channels, Ralph, in an early episode commenting on Lisa's STYLE, it
>sounded like Nelson's.

Those were different voices, but Nancy Cartwright does Nelson's voice
also, so it's the same voice actress. Troy McClure's voice in "Bart's Dog Gets
an 'F' (7F14)" is debatable (and most people have just seen that episode today,
so they may do just that).

Oh yeah, George Costanza's father had a different actor in the pilot
episode of "Seinfeld." I've heard stories about scenes being refilmed with the
current actor for consistancy's sake, but since I've seen the pilot episode in
syndication, and it is indeed a different guy, methinks I'm a bit confused.

MagmaGirl

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
>Troy McClure's voice in "Bart's Dog Gets
>an 'F' (7F14)" is debatable

If this is the line where he says, "As an actor, my eyeballs need to look their
whitest," it's definitely a different voice. Sounds like Scott Christian.

Mag
"It's one thing to be a link in a chain; it's another to start one of your
own!" (Lisa Simpson, "Bart's Dog Gets an F")
"Speak American, Bartron. We Earthlings understand not the Martian tongue."
(Space pilot Lisuey, "Space Patrol")

Nathan Mulac DeHoff

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Joey AKA Gary wrote:

> Moe and Mr. Burns were voiced by a differnet man in the first couple shows.
> he was to be a regular but he died soon into the show. Anyone want to help
> me with a name here?

That was Christopher Collins.
--
Nathan
Dinne...@tmbg.org

Nathan Mulac DeHoff

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
JEdraw wrote:

> del_g...@netvista.net (Don Del Grande) writes:

> >How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
> >different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
> >Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.
>

> Christopher Collins did the voices of (I think) Moe and Mr. Burns in the
> first season before his death. Also, Maggie has had several voices, Homer had
> Snake's voice in "Hell Toupee," and Homer's mother has been done by Tress
> MacNeille and Glenn Close.

Wasn't there an episode in which Fat Tony was voiced by someone other than Joe
Mantegna? Also, several people have done Bill Clinton's voice. (I know Phil
Hartman voiced Clinton in "Citizen Kang," and I think Harry Shearer voiced him in
at least one other episode.)

Todd Emerson

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
<< Wasn't there an episode in which Fat Tony was voiced by someone other
than Joe Mantegna? >>

That was probably "A Fish Called Selma," when Troy McClure went to the
DMV to get his license renewed or somesuch. Fat Tony was there with one
of his goons, who asked, "Isn't that Troy McClure? I though you said he
was dead!" To which Fat Tony replied, "No, I said he sleeps with the
fishes. You see... "

That was his only line in the episode, and I don't remember seeing Joe
Mantegna's name in the closing credits, so that's my guess. Don't know
who actually did the voice, though.

Mr. Poopybutt

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

JEdraw wrote:

> del_g...@netvista.net (Don Del Grande) writes:

> >How many Simpsons characters have been voiced by two (or more)
> >different actors? The ones I can think of are Lurleen Lumpkin, Mrs.
> >Glick, and Roger Meyers, Jr.
>

> Christopher Collins did the voices of (I think) Moe and Mr. Burns in the
> first season before his death. Also, Maggie has had several voices, Homer had
> Snake's voice in "Hell Toupee," and Homer's mother has been done by Tress
> MacNeille and Glenn Close.
>

> - Jordan Eisenberg -- <http://members.aol.com/JEdraw/Simpsons/>
> - <JEd...@aol.com> -- ( S1.2 OFF+++ APU# MAU! OTT@ f+++ )
> - ( n++/+++ Ilpswo $+++ 7G12, 8F13, 9Fxx, 1Fxx, 2F01 M1983 )
> - "This leash demeans us both." (8F23)

Okay, someone earlier in the thread said Chris Collins left to do comedy.. you say
he died... which is which?

Busyman14

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Todd wrote:

I think it was Phil Hartman who did the voice of Fat Tony in that one.

-Alex

Ben Collins

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In article <36C395F6...@student.berklee.edu>, "Mr. Poopybutt"
<dd...@student.berklee.edu> wrote:

>Okay, someone earlier in the thread said Chris Collins left to do comedy..
you say
>he died... which is which?

He left to do comedy after "Homer's Odyssey," then died five years later, in
1994. So, in a way, they're both right. It's even in the FAQ:
<http://www.artist-bros.org/olombard/lisa>.