Duffless

Jon

Feb 22, 1993, 8:17:00 AM2/22/93
On 19-FEB-1993, Don.De...@edu.unc.oit.lambada (Don Delgrande) writes:

> On station KTUV (San Francisco/Oakland), at the end of "Duffless", right
> when the "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" vocal ended and the
> instrumental started, the music suddenly changed to the Simpsons' theme,
> and this music continued until the bicycle bell and Homer's laugh over the
> "Gracie Films" logo. Could somebody tell me (preferably by E-mail, either
> to don.de...@launchpad.unc.edu or delg...@delphi.com):
> (a) Did other stations in the western part of the USA do this as well
> (I think this is done with all episodes to cover what the voice-over
> announcer said for the Eastern USA viewers)?
> (b) What was _actually_ played over the closing credits?

Don't think it was there to cover what the announcer said, because over
here (in the UK), Duffless was aired last night and we just got "Raindrops
are falling on my head" right up to the Gracie Films logo, where, as you said,
Homer became typically overexcited about the bell.

There again, they must have done it for *some* reason....

*<jon>* (j.na...@uk.ac.kcl.cc.oak) "Beer! How did you know!!"
- Homer J. Simpson

Kevin Perry

Feb 22, 1993, 7:07:16 PM2/22/93
In article <1993022213...@cs.widener.edu>
Assuming that Philadelphia is representative of the Eastern US, we had
"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" until the Gracie Films logo. Maybe
just the west coast (or the first poster [yes, its a plot!]) had it cut
off.

Kevin "Can't stop doing the Monkey" Perry

Jay Deuel

Feb 25, 1993, 11:20:21 AM2/25/93

> On station KTUV (San Francisco/Oakland), at the end of "Duffless", right
> when the "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" vocal ended and the
> instrumental started, the music suddenly changed to the Simpsons' theme,
> and this music continued until the bicycle bell and Homer's laugh over the
> "Gracie Films" logo. Could somebody tell me (preferably by E-mail, either
> to don.de...@launchpad.unc.edu or delg...@delphi.com):
> (a) Did other stations in the western part of the USA do this as well
> (I think this is done with all episodes to cover what the voice-over
> announcer said for the Eastern USA viewers)?
> (b) What was _actually_ played over the closing credits?

Here in Utah, also the westen US, I only remember the "Raindrops"
instrumental at the end. BTW: I tend to notice the ending because my
nephews all want to be the one to turn off the TV after the Simpsons, so I'm
always reminding them to wait until the credits are over so I don't miss
some surprise ending (you know those wacky writers).

Raymond Chen

Feb 28, 1993, 5:19:46 PM2/28/93
In article <jay.50.7...@UUSERV.CC.UTAH.EDU> j...@UUSERV.CC.UTAH.EDU (Jay Deuel) writes:
>I tend to notice the ending because my
>nephews all want to be the one to turn off the TV after the Simpsons...

Wait-a-sec... Kids who want to turn *off* the television set?
And they call themselves Americans?

ObSimpsons: According to Roger Reini's Compu$erve capsules, in ``Homer's
Night Out'', the name of the lounge singer was ``Gulliver Dark'',
voiced by Sam McMurray.

I'm not sure how much to trust his capsules; Roger includes the
now-legendary "Hamsters cannot fly" blackboard quote.

Perhaps I should take this opportunity to explain the history of that
notorious quote. When "Saturdays of Thunder" first aired, the intro
sequence was cut to make room for a Michael Jackson video. But I figured
that our Canadian cousins with their oddball football rules would've
gotten a full title sequence. So as a placeholder, I invented the
hamster quote. The image I had in mind was Bart and Milhouse leaning
out the second-story window, Milhouse holding the class's pet hamster.
Bart has been telling Milhouse that hamsters can indeed fly and
tells him to drop the hamster out the window. Milhouse still isn't
convinced, but he gives in to Bart's cajolery and lets the hamster fall.
Obvious hilarity ensues.

When neither Dave Hall nor Alan Rosenthal came through with the goods,
I had to post the capsule as it stood, and I forgot to take out the
placeholder. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm still waiting for Bart to write "I will not leave the room without
permission" as his blackboard quote. (A return to the spirit of "I will
not waste chalk", which I still consider to be the best blackboard quote
ever.)
--
Raymond ``The joke's on him. I'll be dead by then!''[7f11] Chen