New Robotech?

arn...@umich.edu

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

In article <32FA4C...@earthlink.net>,
jpa...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Weapon X wrote:
> >
> > I heard somewhere that there is a new robotech series coming out..
> > not sure if it was just manga or anime too..
> >
> > any info?
> >
> > Weapon X
>
> "Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is a Nintendo 64 game that was supposed to
> have been released some time ago. Anyone with more info on this feel
> free to add.

Is there any footage taken from the movie "Macross:Do You Remember Love?"
put into the game? I think I saw a picture from this movie in a gaming
magazine in reference to a new robotech game, but I could be mistaken.
(For those of you who've seen the film, it was a picture of Minmei
singing at the concert she held near the beginning of the movie) If there
is this footage, what kind of a role does it play in the game?

Oh, and if you haven't dseen the movie, you should. One of my three
favorite anime movies. Kinda hard to find, though. Unless you are
willing to settle for "Clash of the Bionids"

------------------------------
Arnold Kim

////////////////////////////////////////
// Ranma 1/2 Slam Dunk Urusei Yatsura //
// Maison Ikkoku Dragonball Z 3x3eyes //
// Macross studio Gainax Ninja Scroll //
// Korean Gayo Taiji Boys Turbo R.ef //
////////////////////////////////////////

"My life, yes. My manhood is another story!" -Ranma Saotome

Ranma 1/2 forever...
__ __
/ \/ \
RS + AT = | |
\ /
\/

UMich rocks!
Email me at arn...@umich.edu

Visit the web site for Animania, the UMich anime club at
http://www.umich.edu/~animania

BREETAI

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

> > "Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is a Nintendo 64 game that was supposed to
> > have been released some time ago. Anyone with more info on this feel
> > free to add.
> >
> Is there any footage taken from the movie "Macross:Do You Remember Love?"
> put into the game? I think I saw a picture from this movie in a gaming
> magazine in reference to a new robotech game, but I could be mistaken.
> (For those of you who've seen the film, it was a picture of Minmei
> singing at the concert she held near the beginning of the movie) If there
> is this footage, what kind of a role does it play in the game?
>
> Oh, and if you haven't dseen the movie, you should. One of my three
> favorite anime movies. Kinda hard to find, though. Unless you are
> willing to settle for "Clash of the Bionids"
>
> ------------------------------
> Arnold Kim

"Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is going to be completely faithful to Robotech,
Now, when it is converted to the Macross game for Japanese consumption it
will be called "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Another Dimension" I've
seen the pic's your refering too also and I'm willing to bet those are cut
scenes from the Macross version of the game, and probably won't be in
Robotech, we might get something better, worse, or the same, who knows
really....

Stuff I've read about the game....

"Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is going to have some extremely original
gameplay compared to any other space flight sim/shooter, it not only let's
you develop a character, try out different Veritechs, and protect the
SDF-3, but it also lets you make the decisions of what exactly you want to
do.... I've heard as many as 20 missions can be going on simultaneosly and
you have to decide on what's more important. It looks like it is going to
be one hell of a game, and I can't wait to get a copy, I work at the local
Electronic's Boutique and the newest release date is June 1st, hopefully
this will be the final release date because I got an N64 for Christmas just
for this one game. And if your wondering how good it's going to sell,
there are 6 people already on the reserve list at just my store!

-Britt

Chris George

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

BREETAI wrote:

> "Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is going to be completely faithful to Robotech,
> Now, when it is converted to the Macross game for Japanese consumption it
> will be called "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Another Dimension" I've
> seen the pic's your refering too also and I'm willing to bet those are cut
> scenes from the Macross version of the game, and probably won't be in
> Robotech, we might get something better, worse, or the same, who knows
> really....
>
> Stuff I've read about the game....
>
> "Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is going to have some extremely original
> gameplay compared to any other space flight sim/shooter, it not only let's
> you develop a character, try out different Veritechs, and protect the
> SDF-3, but it also lets you make the decisions of what exactly you want to
> do.... I've heard as many as 20 missions can be going on simultaneosly and
> you have to decide on what's more important. It looks like it is going to
> be one hell of a game, and I can't wait to get a copy, I work at the local
> Electronic's Boutique and the newest release date is June 1st, hopefully
> this will be the final release date because I got an N64 for Christmas just
> for this one game. And if your wondering how good it's going to sell,
> there are 6 people already on the reserve list at just my store!
>
> -Britt

Crystal Dreams is never going to be released in Japan under any name.
The game that Arnold Kim is asking about is called Super Dimensional
Fortress Macross. It is for the N64 and is being released by Tomy. It
in no way, shape, or form follows the Rototech storyline and has
absolutely nothing to do with Crystal Dreams. Crystal Dreams will only
be released in countries that aired Robotech I assume. But who cares
anyway, the game looks like shit and with Gametek's track record, I know
it will play like it.

Later,

Chris George

Gary R. Smith

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

arn...@umich.edu wrote:

> In article <32FA4C...@earthlink.net>,
> jpa...@earthlink.net wrote:
> >
> > Weapon X wrote:
> > >
> > > I heard somewhere that there is a new robotech series coming out..
> > > not sure if it was just manga or anime too..
> > >
> > > any info?
> > >
> > > Weapon X
> >
> > "Robotech: Crystal Dreams" is a Nintendo 64 game that was supposed to
> > have been released some time ago. Anyone with more info on this feel
> > free to add.
> >
> Is there any footage taken from the movie "Macross:Do You Remember Love?"
> put into the game? I think I saw a picture from this movie in a gaming
> magazine in reference to a new robotech game, but I could be mistaken.
> (For those of you who've seen the film, it was a picture of Minmei
> singing at the concert she held near the beginning of the movie) If there
> is this footage, what kind of a role does it play in the game?
>
> Oh, and if you haven't dseen the movie, you should. One of my three
> favorite anime movies. Kinda hard to find, though. Unless you are
> willing to settle for "Clash of the Bionids"

There might be some more things like Mac Plus, but as far as anything
under the Robotech name, I'm afraid it is probably as dead as Carl
Macek's creativity.

Gary

Max Sterling

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

In article <33078D...@neversoft.com>, chr...@neversoft.com says...

>Crystal Dreams is never going to be released in Japan under any name.
>The game that Arnold Kim is asking about is called Super Dimensional
>Fortress Macross. It is for the N64 and is being released by Tomy. It
>in no way, shape, or form follows the Rototech storyline and has
>absolutely nothing to do with Crystal Dreams. Crystal Dreams will only
>be released in countries that aired Robotech I assume. But who cares
>anyway, the game looks like shit and with Gametek's track record, I know
>it will play like it.

I've seen screen shots of both Gameteks Crystal Dreams, and Tomys SDF
Macross. They look pretty much the same to me. The only difference is the
flight control panel. Other than that, the pods look the same, the graphics
look the same, and the fighters look the same. On another note, Gametek is
merely distributing the game. They are NOT making it. I for one support it
100% not only because it's Robotech, but it's an AMERICAN product. I'm not
saying I don't like Japanese products, but I think it's wrong for American
companies to send their work to Japan instead of doing it themselves.

Max

*Send Questions, remarks, flames, and other little*
*goodies to Max Sterling (du...@wwa.com) moderator*
* of the Disciples of Zor web page: *
* *
* http://shoga.wwa.com/~duke2/doz.htm *

Chris George

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Max Sterling wrote:

> I've seen screen shots of both Gameteks Crystal Dreams, and Tomys SDF
> Macross. They look pretty much the same to me. The only difference is the
> flight control panel. Other than that, the pods look the same, the graphics
> look the same, and the fighters look the same. On another note, Gametek is
> merely distributing the game. They are NOT making it. I for one support it
> 100% not only because it's Robotech, but it's an AMERICAN product. I'm not
> saying I don't like Japanese products, but I think it's wrong for American
> companies to send their work to Japan instead of doing it themselves.
>
> Max

Well, for your information, Gametek IS the developer of Crystal Dreams.
Phillips is the publisher. Go ahead and check on that one. I used to
work for a company called Malibu Interactive which was later bought out
by Gametek after I left the company. My ex co-workers that still work
at Gametek So. Cal. all inform me that Crystal Dreams is being developed
IN-HOUSE by Gametek and that Phillips is the publisher (distributor) of
the game. And almost no American publishers go to Japan to seek out
developers. However, some Japanese publishers do seek out American and
European developers for games. One example would be Atlus. But in my
experience I have never heard of an American publisher going to Japan to
make a game.

Chris George
chr...@neversoft.com

Max Sterling

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

In article <330A42...@neversoft.com>, chr...@neversoft.com says...

>Well, for your information, Gametek IS the developer of Crystal Dreams.
>Phillips is the publisher. Go ahead and check on that one. I used to
>work for a company called Malibu Interactive which was later bought out
>by Gametek after I left the company. My ex co-workers that still work
>at Gametek So. Cal. all inform me that Crystal Dreams is being developed
>IN-HOUSE by Gametek and that Phillips is the publisher (distributor) of
>the game. And almost no American publishers go to Japan to seek out
>developers. However, some Japanese publishers do seek out American and
>European developers for games. One example would be Atlus. But in my
>experience I have never heard of an American publisher going to Japan to
>make a game.

OK, I may have gotten the two confused. I knew someone with
disributing it and the other was developing it. You don't have to act like God
proclaiming me incorrect and seamingly enjoy it because of you disastifaction
of a former employer. Personal problems have no place in relevent discussion,
and replys directed at someone in a negetive attitude are needed even less.
The fact remains I like the way the game looks, and the one Tomy is creating
looks pretty much the same. (You never said anything to counter that claim.
Although I WAS mistaken on who was developing the title.) As to Japan going to
America and vice versa. I was not directing it at solely the video market.
I'm talking over all gernality. (Is that a word?) American companies tend to
go to Japanese buisness for cost reasons. I firmly believe American game
developers tend to take more time in the product. Most Japanese games I see
are shooters/fighters. Occasionally I see good RPGs, but scince Final Fantasy
2 (I think it was 4 in Japan) and Chrono Trigger I haven't seen a GOOD one.
Probably my preference, but I like originality to my games, not the same hum
drumb shoot everything that moves then beat the living crap out of it. Oh
well.

Max Sterling

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

In article <19970219152...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, dos...@aol.com
says...

>Are you saying most American games are better than Japanese (ie. American
>developers take more time on the product)? Sorry, but all the great games
>come from Japan-Mario64, Virtua Fighter 3, Finl Fantasy 7, etc. The reason
>Robotech is being delayed is because the guys over at Gametek haven't
>mastered programming on the Nintendo64.

Yes I am saying most American games are better than Japanese games.
The only reason I bought the N64 was for Robotech. But if you look at the line
of software available for the PC, it puts the consoles to shame. Even Japanese
PC software doesn't compare. As for the mastering the N64, whats the big deal.
As far as I could tell, it's like working on a modified SGI workstation. I'd
love to get my hands on that babby and show what it could do. As to Robotech,
from what I hear it's being tweeked, so that gives me the hope that although
Gametek doesn't have a great track record, Nintedos Quality control with put
them in line with this title. Besides, the developers of the game are actual
Robotech fans. I'm sure they'll go to any lengths necessary to make the game
100% fun.

Dosun1

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Chris George

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Max Sterling wrote:

> In article <330A42...@neversoft.com>, chr...@neversoft.com says...
>

> OK, I may have gotten the two confused. I knew someone with
> disributing it and the other was developing it. You don't have to act like God
> proclaiming me incorrect and seamingly enjoy it because of you disastifaction
> of a former employer. Personal problems have no place in relevent discussion,
> and replys directed at someone in a negetive attitude are needed even less.
> The fact remains I like the way the game looks, and the one Tomy is creating
> looks pretty much the same. (You never said anything to counter that claim.
> Although I WAS mistaken on who was developing the title.) As to Japan going to
> America and vice versa. I was not directing it at solely the video market.
> I'm talking over all gernality. (Is that a word?) American companies tend to
> go to Japanese buisness for cost reasons. I firmly believe American game
> developers tend to take more time in the product. Most Japanese games I see
> are shooters/fighters. Occasionally I see good RPGs, but scince Final Fantasy
> 2 (I think it was 4 in Japan) and Chrono Trigger I haven't seen a GOOD one.
> Probably my preference, but I like originality to my games, not the same hum
> drumb shoot everything that moves then beat the living crap out of it. Oh
> well.

Sorry about being a little defensive, I thought that you originally
getting a little pissed at me for saying I thought the game looks like
crap. If not, then I apologize. As far as the Tomy Macross game, the
reason I didn't counter your claim that it looks pretty much the same is
because I do think it looks pretty much the same. But, all that I have
seen of it so far are two or three shots. Yeah, I was pretty much only
talking of the video game industry when I argued about Japanese and
American companies. Most companies now are going to places like Korea
and Thailand to manufacture goods, it is just so much cheaper as far as
labor goes. Which sucks really, because the people in those countries
work just as hard, or harder. One more thing about video game companies
in the US: The reason that games out here take a little longer than
Japan is for two reasons. 1) American game companies are very
laid-back, and to be honest less work gets done than in a Japanese
company. 2) There is a huge lack of talented programmers in the US,
and games get delayed because the programmers can't keep up. Working
for my fifth video game company now, I know this is the truth. The
company I work for now is the first where I am fully confident with the
abilities and work-ethics of my co-workers. Oh well, I will hope that
Robotech comes out good, although I have HUGE doubts.

Later,

Chris George

Michael Niotis

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to Dosun1

If , I say again ,if the Robotech CRYSTAL DREAMS is succesful the it's
possible that maybe we see it on the PC.
It MUST be better that MECHWARRIOR else they shouldn't bother to produce
it for the PC.

Dosun1

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Hellfire

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Michael Niotis <mgn...@megahertz.njit.edu> wrote in article
<330BDB...@megahertz.njit.edu>...

> If , I say again ,if the Robotech CRYSTAL DREAMS is succesful the it's
> possible that maybe we see it on the PC.
> It MUST be better that MECHWARRIOR else they shouldn't bother to produce
> it for the PC.

I could be wrong. I think the Robotech Crystal Dreams graphical displays
are far too great for current desktop computers to be able to handle. I
mean hell, my P120 with Stealth 3D running the new 3D version of Terminal
Velocity in Bilinear is too slow to keep the image smooth. I doubt
seriously Robotech could make a conversion anytime soon. The industry needs
a greater bandwidth of a bus. Peripheral Component Interconnect only get
about 154mbs. Compared to a SGI workstation (Which is what the N64 is just
toned down.) of a little over a gig a sec. That is in my opinion a clear
message of how quickly it might hit the PC. The only hope lies in Intels'
techs completing the AGP bus. They have created a toned down version of it
in the 430VX MB Triton 3 Chipset. (It may be there as a pleminary test. I
know of no software which currently exploits the option at this time.) AGP
will be
able to attain transfer rates of 500+mbs but requires your *system memory*
to accomplish the task. Combine Windows97 needs and I forsee a computer
32mb minimum and a 64mb good sitting range when and if the project is
completed. As I write this message the project may still be a drawing
board idea as it was three months ago.
Sincerely Yours,

--
Ryu Connor Callsign: Hellfire
A.K.A. The GOD OF HELLFIRE

Dosun1

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Dosun1

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Hiroyuki Hironaga

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Max Sterling (du...@wwa.com) wrote:

[SNIP]

Gee, that was one hell of a whine. :P

--
Hiro^2

Riiya-Chan

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

On 26 Feb 1997 22:37:05 GMT, susa...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Hiroyuki
Hironaga) wrote:

>Max Sterling (du...@wwa.com) wrote:
>
>[SNIP]
>
> Gee, that was one hell of a whine. :P

Well, Hiro, it's better to be a whiner than say, a theif.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Naaaaaaah.