Phil dead?!?!

Lee Smallwood

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

bill walsh wrote:

> I just heard on the radio that Phil Hartman is dead, in an apparent
> murder-suicide in Encino? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Boy, that'd
> be awful.

I heard the same on the radio (and it wasn't from one of those dj's who
makes odd things up either). If it's true, this is a terrible loss for the
world. Phil was such a talented, funny member of our society. Frankly, I
don't care about the show right now. Maybe they will go on, perhaps they
will end the show -- right now it's time to simply mourn the loss of such
genius. This is a real loss. I just heard it on Headline News, too.

Lee :( :( :( :(

> bill walsh
> ott...@xnet.com

bill walsh

bobgoblin2000

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

I found this at yahoo news:

Thursday May 28 12:47 PM EDT
Comedian Phil Hartman reportedly found dead
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian Phil Hartman, best known for his
performances on "Saturday Night Live," was found dead at his Los Angeles
home, local news radio reported Thursday.

Police would not immediately confirm the report, but said that two bodies
with gunshot wounds were found in a home in an upscale section of Encino,
in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley.

The report on KNX radio said that a 9-year-old girl was found in the
house and taken into protective custody. Police did not confirm reports
about the girl.

Police said they responded to a call about 6:30 a.m. PDT (9:30 a.m. EDT)
from people in the area who heard gunshots. Police raced to the scene and
discovered the bodies.

After several years as a star of "Saturday Night Live," Hartman become
part of the cast of the NBC sitcom "News Radio."

Hartman is famed for his impersonations of leading political and
celebrity figures.

Reuters/Variety

Tavie

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

He's one of those guys you feel like you KNOW... least, I did. When he was on
the Tonight Show he reminded me of my dad a little... when he was being
interviewed. I mean, you know the kind of guy you know you've never met in your
life but when you watch him on tv you feel like you're old friends...

I don't wanna type about this. I wanna go cry.

Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY), who (surprise surprise) had the pear dream again.
"Follow this ASS!"-Dave Foley
"You should never speak ill of the dead unless you had actually killed them."
-Buddy Cole

OH NO! FREAKZIRRA!

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

On 28 May 1998 17:42:28 GMT, ta...@aol.com (Tavie) wrote:

>He's one of those guys you feel like you KNOW... least, I did. When he was on
>the Tonight Show he reminded me of my dad a little... when he was being
>interviewed. I mean, you know the kind of guy you know you've never met in your
>life but when you watch him on tv you feel like you're old friends...

i know exactly what you mean, tavie. every time i saw him being
interviewed, he just seemed like such a warm person. i had always
hoped to meet him some day just to thank him for everything.

> I don't wanna type about this. I wanna go cry.

nothing wrong with that.

i don't think i'll make it through this whole ordeal without shedding
a few tears myself.

jeff
=-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-=
jeff parks >< oakton, virginia >< freak...@mindspring.com
=-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-= =-=

'bye, phil. you're missed already.

Nicolette Stepro

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

On Thu, 28 May 1998 17:57:44 GMT, freak...@mindspring.com (OH NO!
FREAKZIRRA!) wrote:

>interviewed, he just seemed like such a warm person. i had always

He was always the one you knew would land on his feet. Out of the SNL
gang, you knew the ladies who left the show would have a hard time
breaking into anything . Chris Farley always looked self destructive.
Even Spade until Just Shoot Me wasn't exactly finding his way too
well.

But Phil? Heck, with that voice you knew he'd land on his feet. He
also seemed so grounded. The hyper wiry David Spade I can see going
into rehab in a couple of years, but Phil had his head on his
shoulders and both feet on the ground.

I love his voices on the Simpsons, particularly the slimy lawyer.

"The ad boys must have made a mistake. It's supposed to read:
No, money down! "

nicolette

Snowcloud

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Tavie wrote:

>I wanna go cry.<

I was in the car when a local radio station reported it and then
dedicated that sad Green Day song to him. The song started
playing and I started crying.

I've never been one to get emotional over the death of a
stranger but his death, and the manner of it, seem exceptionally
tragic. What a waste, what a loss...

Cassidy
"I don't like fashion rebellion;
it takes too much energy away from real rebellion." - Dave Foley

IshKabibb

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

I remember him talking on Snyder about his relationship with Paul Reubens, and
how complicated it had gotten after the PeeWee persecution. But Phil was still
there for his friend, and it made me feel that there was much more warmth than
he usually displayed in his characters.

Strangely, before I flipped to the news, I was checking a videotape to see what
was on it, and when I turned it on, it was Bill telling Matthew he was fired,
and he said, "Happy trails, Spaz," in such a sweet and sorrowful way. I was
realizing that I rarely saw a Hartman character behave that way, and it was
very sweet. Moments later, I saw that he'd been killed.

This is so tragic. I feel so unutterably sad.

Ish

KdsInThHal

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

>I was in the car when a local radio station reported it

you know, when farley died, i called my local 'favourite' station to inform
them (cause it's just a dj in a closed off room without any connection to the
world) and did the dj believe me? no. i called about hartman today, i think the
guy thought i was requesting a damn song. "if i have time.." what the hell?

:;stomping feet:: I wanna be a journalist! I wanna break news!
. . . . . . .
*sarah
linne...@tmbg.org
http://lava.home.ml.org
"If you light a match near a calculator,
it's not going to scurry away." -- Murray Foster of Moxy Fruvous

Carolyn Marie Crapo

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Snowcloud wrote:

> Tavie wrote:
>
> >I wanna go cry.<
>
> I was in the car when a local radio station reported it and then
> dedicated that sad Green Day song to him. The song started
> playing and I started crying.
>
> I've never been one to get emotional over the death of a
> stranger but his death, and the manner of it, seem exceptionally
> tragic. What a waste, what a loss...
>
> Cassidy

I agree. I found out a few minutes ago when someone over on the Titanic
newsgroup, of all places, put a Troy McClure quote in his sig and
followed it with "Rest in Peace, Phil". I was horrified and sure they'd
made a mistake, so I got on the Web and checked--and damn it, it's
true. I'm usually also unaffected by celebrity deaths but Phil was so
talented, such an artist with his voice and face...I teared up. And I'm
at work.

A truly great loss to us all. And so unexpected and pointless.

Carolyn
Who won't be able to watch her Simpsons or NR tapes for a while

Djinifer

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Sigh....I haven't stopped crying myself, yet. I just want to say how truly
sorry I am to everyone who knew him and worked with him and to his kids as
well. He was a wonderful and talented man who brought so much joy to others;
it's such a shame that it had to end so horribly and so soon.

Thanks for bringing me laughter. Rest in peace.

Djinifer
Djin's Kids in the Hall Audio Page
http://pages.prodigy.com/djinifer/
We tried to do something so unpredictable that it would have no shape. The
fact that Pythonesque is a word in the Oxford Dictionary shows the extent
of how we failed.

OH NO! FREAKZIRRA!

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

On 28 May 1998 18:53:19 GMT, snow...@aol.com (Snowcloud) wrote:

>Tavie wrote:
>
>>I wanna go cry.<
>
>I was in the car when a local radio station reported it and then
>dedicated that sad Green Day song to him. The song started
>playing and I started crying.
>
>I've never been one to get emotional over the death of a
>stranger but his death, and the manner of it, seem exceptionally
>tragic. What a waste, what a loss...

totally. no celebrity death has ever affected me the way phil's has.
for like 10 years he was always there in the limelight, always funny,
always warm. and then all of a sudden, now he's gone. i don't think
it's really hit me yet.

there aren't a whole lot of people who i consider heroes, but phil was
definitely one of them.

Myrna Minkoff

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

I know! I feel the same exact way. It's weird, 'cause even though I
don't know him personally, I still feel like I know him. And he was
always so positive and funny. Usually, I wouldn't cry over a celebrity
death, but Phil really affected me that way.

RIP Phil,
Myrna

Xandan

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Carolyn Marie Crapo <caro...@rocketmail.com> wrote in article
<356DCC26...@rocketmail.com>...

> Snowcloud wrote:
>
> > Tavie wrote:
> >
> > >I wanna go cry.<
> >
> > I was in the car when a local radio station reported it and then
> > dedicated that sad Green Day song to him. The song started
> > playing and I started crying.
> >
> > I've never been one to get emotional over the death of a
> > stranger but his death, and the manner of it, seem exceptionally
> > tragic. What a waste, what a loss...
> >

> > Cassidy
> >

> I agree. I found out a few minutes ago when someone over on the Titanic
> newsgroup, of all places, put a Troy McClure quote in his sig and
> followed it with "Rest in Peace, Phil". I was horrified and sure they'd
> made a mistake, so I got on the Web and checked--and damn it, it's
> true. I'm usually also unaffected by celebrity deaths but Phil was so
> talented, such an artist with his voice and face...I teared up. And I'm
> at work.

*sigh* I haven't felt this bad about a celebrity death since Jim Henson's in
1990. Phil was a true comedic genius. He was able to steal almost all SNL skits
he appeared in, be it with a simple reaction (the looks on his face sometime
are priceless) or the energy with which he uses to deliver his lines. Then
there were the Simpsons...one of my favorite shows - and then NewsRadio,
obviously. He could carry the scenes he appeared in in both those shows. I only
wished we could've seen more - but as they say, "Leave them laughing." I think
Phil accomplished this goal in his life - he'll be remembered always.

Rest in peace, Phil.

S. Mills (xan...@onramp.net)

Jerry Dellinger

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

On 28 May 1998 18:54:02 GMT, ishk...@aol.com (IshKabibb) wrote:

>I remember him talking on Snyder about his relationship with Paul Reubens, and
>how complicated it had gotten after the PeeWee persecution. But Phil was still
>there for his friend, and it made me feel that there was much more warmth than
>he usually displayed in his characters.

I was watching Tom's tribute last night to Phil. It was moving and
sincere and Tom ended it was a short clip from a part of an interview
with Phil from a few years back. I was struck by the kindness,
openness, gentleness, and warmth of the man. You're right. His
characters were often cold and off-putting and it's amazing how he was
able to hide himself so completely.

Jerry