[MiSTed] Doctor, Samuel Beckett

Keith Williams

Nov 1, 1994, 10:42:04 AM11/1/94
Here's part one of (I guess) ten (not all have been posted yet).

MiSTing written by me.

Contributing Writer / Editor: Laurie Cubbinson

Enjoy...

--
"Maybe all I need / besides my pills / and surgery / is a new metaphor
for reality."

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[] Kurris (aka Keith Williams) will...@aix.wingra.com []
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

[ <>...1...2...3...4...5...6... ]

> Doctor, Samuel Beckett
> ----------------------

CROW: Pleased to meet you. I'm Robot, Crow T.

> or
>
> A Leap in Time
> --------------

SERVO: Saves nine.
MIKE: I think that's a *stitch* in time, Tom.

> by Paul Harman
> ==============

CROW: A name to forget.

> Part One
> ~~~~~~~~

MIKE: Lots of multi-parters lately.
SERVO: I've noticed that, too.
CROW: Do they part on the left or the right?

> The usual post-leap euphoria in the control room

SERVO: PARTY!!!
CROW: Toga! Toga!
MIKE: Pass the beer bong!!

> at Project Quantum
> Leap was broken as sirens blared throughout the complex.

ALL: WE'VE GOT FANFIC SIGN!!!
ALL: ...HEY!!!

> Al, tired from the
> last leap

MIKE: Isn't Al getting a little old for all this physical comedy?

> (which had been a particularly difficult one), looked up in
> puzzlement.

SERVO: Which way did he go? Which way did he go?

> "What the hell's that?" he demanded of no-one in particular.

CROW: "It's a siren," no-one answered.
SERVO: Who's this "no-one" character.
MIKE: And how'd we suddenly get transported to Particular?

> "I have no idea, but I intend to find out!" replied Gooshie,

SERVO: "Good god, man, can't you see I'm doing the best I can?"

> already
> on his feet and making good speed towards Ziggy.

MIKE: Averaging more than three steps an hour.
CROW: Which is *still* enough to leave him exhausted.

> Ziggy herself seemed in a panic,

SERVO: "How did I get into this stupid fanfic!!! Get my agent on the phone!"

> or at least as close to a panic as a
> computer could get.

CROW: Which is not very, but never mind that.

> She was slurring her speech slightly,

MIKE: [drunkenly] Woudge you lyke annnot'er dreenk?

> spouting strange
> but worrying error messages

SERVO: WARNING: Total system collapse imminent...Just kidding!
MIKE: Abort? Retry? Fail?

> that had never before been used. Gooshie leapt to

CROW: Yeah, right. Hasn't this guy ever *watched* Quantum Leap?

> the main console, and placed his hand onto one of the access pads.

SERVO: "Ooh, that feels good. Do it some more."

> "Ziggy, what's going on?" he asked. It took Ziggy some time to respond.

MIKE: "Well, there's still the invasion of Haiti...Oh, you meant here."

> "I have lost contact with Sam," Ziggy replied, apparently in some
> distress (or at least a good imitation of distress).

CROW: What gave it away? The sirens? The flashing lights?

> "What exactly do you mean?"

SERVO: "I...have...lost...contact...with...Sam. Is *that* clear enough for
you, Noodle Brain?"

> "I had his position until he leapt, but now I have no trace."

MIKE: [ahem] Isn't that how it *usually* works?
SERVO: Yeah, first he's here, then he's not. At which point, YOU LOOK FOR
HIM!

> "Was there any indication of where he leapt to?"

CROW: Wouldn't *when* be a more appropriate question?

> "None whatsoever."

SERVO: "Of course, I haven't bothered looking yet, but I have this strong
feeling that I just *won't* be able to find him."

> "Great," said Al, "just great."

MIKE: [as Homer Simpson] Stupid computer.

> Sam blinked as he completed his leap,

SERVO: Rise and shine, little buddy, time to mow the lawn.

> shielding his eyes from the
> bright blue glare.

CROW: Uh-oh. He's not a male stripper again, is he?

> I really must work out what that is when I get back, he
> thought.

SERVO: Hello? We don't have italics here, please use single quotes to
indicate what a character is thinking. Thank you. `What a dweeb,'
I thought.
MIKE: No, I had a creative writing professor once who said that's the
the way to do it--no quotes at all, italics either. But then he and
Charlie always did their writing at McDonald's so what does he
know.

> He looked around to see what situation he had been left in this time,

MIKE: Gilligan!!

> and shook his head when he did so. He couldn't really believe what he was
> seeing. He was in a

SERVO: *Really* bad fanfic.

> cream-white room, standing in front of...

CROW: A full length mirror. `I have *got* to go on a diet.'

> something. The
> walls were white,

MIKE: Thanks for clearing that up. For a minute there, I thought they
were *cream* white.

> with glowing circular depressions which he took for some

SERVO: Not there for even five minutes and he's already stealing things off
of the walls! What a klepto!!

> kind of light fittings: certainly there were no other visible means of
> illumination;

CROW: I should say *not*! What kind of barbarians do you take us for?!!?

> no windows, skylights, strip-lamps or anything else.

MIKE: What about track lighting? He didn't mention track lighting, so that
*must* be the answer.
CROW: Well, you know what they say about guys with track lightin'.
SERVO: What?
CROW: You watched _Steel Magnolias_, didn't you?

> There
> appeared to be two exits from the room,

SERVO: Actually, there is only *one* exit. The other door leads to instant
death. Choose carefully.

> a door opposite him and what he
> presumed to be a heavy security double-door (an airlock?)

CROW: No, a new CAR!!!

> with no visible
> means of opening.

MIKE: I'm getting the picture that just about *nothing* is visible in this
room.

> For some reason, this made him think of a

SERVO: Hot fudge sundae.

> laboratory, with
> highly dangerous experiments being conducted behind those unopenable doors.

CROW: Oooh, setting the tone a little *early*, aren't we?

> They had definitely been built to withstand _something_, he thought.

SERVO: Yeah, bad fanfic writers.
CROW: Got..to...get behind...those...doors.

> If
> that were the case, then the room he was in would be some sort of control
> centre.

MIKE: [game show buzzer] Wrong! But thank you for playing.

> There was a monitor half-way up the wall opposite to the safety doors,

SERVO: Showing a rerun of "Mitchell."
MIKE & CROW: NO!!!

> currently turned off. If this was a control room of some kind, it would

CROW: Have to have an honour bar in here *somewhere*.
MIKE: You know something? There's nothing like logic to slow a plot
down.

> explain the mushroom-like structure in the centre of the room.

SERVO: Eewgh. I wouldn't touch that if I were you.

> But what of the
> rising/falling perspex column in the centre?

SERVO: Wach-cha-cha-waa Doh-cha-cha-wow.

> Somewhere in the distance a bell was ringing,

CROW: The division bell.
SERVO: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

> a slow loud tolling. It
> sounded like a

MIKE: Bell. We've got that part.

> warning of doom itself.

SERVO: Hi, I'm Doom, and I'll be performing here all week. Enjoy the
buffet.

> Sam opened the smaller door and looked

CROW: Into the depths of the horror that is his own soul.

> out into a corridor, the walls of which were the same as those in the control
> room.

MIKE: Invisible.

> The bell was louder out there. Was it a fire bell? Maybe, but

SERVO: That's nothing to be concerned about now. Where'd I put my *fish*?

> what was
> he to do about it? He didn't know where to run.

CROW: Ha-hah-ha!! Trapped like a rat in a cage!!
MIKE: Run, Joe, run!!

> "Oh, where _are_ you Al?" he asked. "I need you here..."

SERVO: "I'm right here, sweetheart, in the secret place where *they* can
never harm us."

> Sam was getting a little warm.

CROW: Why's he wearing a full length fox coat in the first place?

> He looked down at his clothes:

SERVO: Say! I didn't think those things even *came* in my size!!

> a thick
> purple overcoat, a waistcoat and a shirt, trousers, and a very long scarf
> were all he could see.

MIKE: Isn't that enough?
CROW: I guess he can't see the fedora.

> A hatstand in the corner of the room had a floppy
> wide-brimmed hat on it.

CROW: Oh, so he can see the hat after all.

No wonder he was getting warm.

CROW: It's that damned hat!

> He began to search
> through the pockets to work out what was going on.

SERVO: Sam thinks better when he's chewing gum.

> In one, a paper bag full of
> jelly babies, he took one and nibbled the end experimentally before popping
> it into his mouth.

ALL: EEWGH!!

> In another, what appeared to be a screwdriver with some

CROW: Ice. Sam *hates* watered down drinks.

> buttons on the handle, and a business card written in a language which bared
> a striking resemblance to Greek.

MIKE: Or Pig Latin, he couldn't be sure.

> "Oh, boy!" he said.

ALL: . . .
SERVO: What's he "oh, boy"ing about?
MIKE: Hey! Sam!! *Read* *the* *card* *OUT* *LOUD*!!
CROW: Yeah, we're only mindreaders when the author grants us that power!!

> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

SERVO: What? That's it?!!?
MIKE: Just kind'a, fizzled out there, didn't.
CROW: Hey, you don't hear *me* complaining, do you?
SERVO: He thinks he's giving us a cliffhanger. After all, this is just
part one.

> --
> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Paul `Ozymandias' Harman : p...@doc.ic.ac.uk -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

CROW: No relation to Paul `Ohmyachingcorns' Harman.
SERVO: No relation to Percy Bysshe Shelley either.

> +-+-+-+-+-+ The amazing changing quote currently stands as follows: +-+-+-+-+
> "Do you clear the emotional air by opening a window into your soul?" - Me

SERVO: Oooh, so profound.
CROW: No, that's how you let the Devil in.

[ ...6...5...4...3...2...1...<> ]

CROW: You know, that wasn't so bad.
MIKE: No, it really wasn't.
SERVO: Short, to the point.
CROW: Just bad writing. No raving lunacy. No excruciating pain.
MIKE: Hmm, do you think we're becoming jaded?
SERVO: Ah, who cares.
MIKE: Sirs?

[ Deep 13 ]

DR. F: Just remember, my captive audience, there are nine more parts to
this "story." We'll see just how glib you are then! Frank, push
the button.
FRANK: I *like* sugar babies.
DR. F: Oh, Frank!

\ | /
\|/
-- * --
/|\
/ | \

Mystery Science Theater 3000 and its related characters and situations are
trademarks of and (c) 1994 by Best Brains, Inc. All rights reserved.

Use of copyrighted and trademarked material is for entertainment
purposes only; no infringement on the original copyrights or trademarks
held by Best Brains, Inc. is intended or should be inferred.