[MiSTed] Heart of Darkness [1/3]

Jamas Enright

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Blue Light Productions presents...

<Opening theme. On the SOL, Crow is facing Cambot, and Tom is behind him.>

CROW: You okay back there, buddy?

TOM: <muffled sounds>

CROW: What?

<Tom emerges, a wire trailing from his mouth.>

TOM: You sure this is a good idea?

CROW: That circuit needed replacing. We're just lucky we found the spare
part.

TOM: But from Timmy's refuse? Isn't that dangerous?

CROW: Just get in there and let me worry about the danger.

<Tom disappears back behind Crow.>

MAGIC VOICE: Commercial sign in five seconds.

<As Tom works, Crow's eyes grow red momentarily.>

[Commercials. Insert your own drek here.]

<Back on the SOL. Mike is with the bots.>

MIKE: What have you guys been up to?

TOM: Oh nothing, nothing.

CROW: Just a little self repair.

MIKE: That's good, 'cos <notices the MADS light> Oh no, Bonny and Clyde
are calling.

<He slaps the button.>

<Deep 13>

DR F: Well, paintdrops, I want to move right into today's experiment,
being a busy man and all.

PEARL: [off screen] Clayton! Come and wash your mother's back! You
promised!

<Dr F blanches, but regains his smile, now somewhat uneasy. As he talks,
he puts a large oven mit on.>

DR F: Today's experiment is a fanfic from that great show featuring two
men and a dog, with the dog getting the best roles, of course.

<SOL>

MIKE: Fraiser?

CROW: Lassie?

TOM: Perfect Strangers meet Rin Tin Tin?

<Deep 13>

DR F: Hmmm... interesting... but I'll think about that later.... This is
a story from Due South. Some woman comes back, and breaks them up, and
steals everyone's family... or something like that. Sounds familiar...

PEARL: [off screen] Oh, Claayton! Don't make me come out there! I can't
find my towel!

DR F: Coming, mother! <pushes the button> Enjoy. NOT!

<SOL>

<All look revolted.>

MIKE: There's an image I could have lived my life without.

<Divers alarums.>

ALL: WE GOT THE CREATIVE SIGN!

[6..5..4..3..2..@..]

<Mike and the bots take their seats.>

> Article 11 of alt.tv.due-south.creative:

TOM: No, say it isn't so! Another creative newsgroup to forever torment
an otherwise brillant show!
MIKE: Taking it kinda personally, aren't you Tom?
CROW: Yeah, it's not like Due South is actually a wonderful show.
TOM: Sez you! It's just sad to see bad fanfics springing up everywhere.
MIKE: We haven't even started yet. It might not be that bad.
TOM: Forrestor sent it, remember?

> From: QuePasha <quep...@fyiowa.infi.net>

ALL: Hi QuePasha!

> Newsgroups: alt.tv.due-south.creative
> Subject: Heart of Darkness 1
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 18:25:04 -0400

CROW: T minus 0400 and counting.

CROW: Bad fanfic.
MIKE: Too easy, Crow.

> text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Sorry if you have slready read this story...

TOM: We're sorry we're reading it now.

> BTW, the sequel is already
> in progress :)

ALL: AARRGGHH!!

> *****
> Disclaimer: All Due South characters are copyrighted. This story is
> meant for entertainment only...etc...

CROW: Whose?

> Heart of Darkness is a story that is the result of a miniture story
> train consisting of Heather Gillson (quep...@fyiowa.infi.net), Jane
> Aldred (tre...@airmail.net) and Amanda Cook (ajc...@dove.mtx.net.au).
> Sadly, Amanda became increasingly busy with real life and had to leave
> us after a sort while.

TOM: [as Amanda] Hah, got away at last!

> This story is rated PG-13 with implied sex, strong language (swearing),
> and violence. Consider yourself warned :)

MIKE: I think you guys are too young to see this.
TOM: I don't think I want to sit through it anyway.
CROW: Good, can we leave now?

> Sincerely,
> Heather Gillson
> and Jane Aldred

CROW: Look, a hitlist.

> ***
>
> Heart of Darkness

TOM: Soul of Light.

> A dark haired woman was sadly looking out of a small, dingy window. She
> leaned her head against the cold glass and sadly sighed.

<All sigh sadly>
CROW: Yet another upbeat beginning.

> It would be
> different this time, she promised herself. Even as she said this, there
> was still a part of her that still hated him, still wanted revenge. Why
> did she feel this way? She loved him with all of her heart and yet part
> of her wanted to see him suffer.

CROW: Well, that's a kind of way to love.
MIKE: I think you're getting into dark waters there, buddy.

> She turned away from the window,
> confused. All of these different emotions were smothering her. Anger,
> love, hate, guilt...she would never be able to sort out her feelings.

MIKE: Where did I put that 'hate' pile? Oh, what's that guilt over doing
there?

> She closed her eyes and tried to clear her mind but couldn't. Turning
> from the window, she sighed and whispered "Ben...". Just whispering his
> name sent chills through her body.

CROW: I've heard of 'easy come'...
MIKE: HEY!

> She scolded herself for being so
> foolishly in love with someone she should hate.
>
> She knew it was the thought of him that had brought her back to this
> city. Back to where it had all gone wrong. She remembered the joy she
> had felt when she discovered he wasn't dead,

TOM: I'm sure he was glad too.

> the pain in his eyes as he
> fell away from her on the train had haunted her dreams. She had to make
> contact with him, at the very least to find out if he really had been
> coming with her that night.

CROW: Or with her this night.
MIKE: You're looking at a Time Out, Crow.

> But she was afraid, afraid that her love
> would turn to hate once she was with him again.
>
> She walked over to the bed, where her suitcase was laying open. As she
> reached inside of the suitcase,

TOM: It snapped shut, biting her arm off.
MIKE: Kind of dark there.
CROW: But a nice dark.

> she brought her thoughts to the other
> reason she was here. "Ray, you took him away from me. Big mistake,"
> she sadly whispered.

MIKE: I don't know about you guys, but I kind of get the feeling that
she's sad.

> As her fingers came upon the barrel of the gun,
> she decided that Ray didn't deserve death. She was going to take the
> people he loved from him, one by one.

TOM: Wrong again, pink boy.

> But first she had to make contact with Ben and she had to make sure she
> got to talk to him without Ray knowing about it. She was sure he would
> stop Ben if he found out and she must have the chance to talk to him
> first.

MIKE: Who, Ray or Ben?
TOM: Don't know. Got a bit lost there.

> To explain, to make him understand. A chance meeting wouldn't
> work, she also knew she was still wanted here and she couldn't be
> caught. Prison was not an option. The best way was to let Ben make the

CROW: Tea. She's an equal opportunity killer.

> decision to come and see her, all at his own volition and she thought
> she knew just how to do that. She pulled a pen and a piece of paper out
> of the nearby night stand. Carefully thinking out her words, she began
> to write.
>
> ***

CROW: I'm seeing stars.
MIKE: But they're supposed to be birds!
CROW: D'oh!

> Across town Ray and Fraser were comfortably seated at Ben's rather small
> table. Benton was still in his red dress uniform and his friend was
> wearing

TOM: A Tarzan outfit. It was one of his loveable quirks.

> an Armani suit. "Benny, I don't know how you do it. It's
> just...it's just not natural."

<Crow opens his mouth, but Mike looks at him, and he shuts it.>

> The mountie's head snapped up, puzzled. He frowned as he asked, "What's
> not natural?"

<Crow puts on an innocent look when Mike again looks at him.>

> Ray leaned the chair back until it was only standing on the back two
> legs. He threw his hands up in the air. "Living here. How can you
> stand it? The crime, the drug dealers, the homeless people...how can you
> stand it all?"

CROW: I can't! Every now and then... I GO POSTAL!! MUAHAHA!
MIKE: Please don't do that.

> Fraser only sighed, knowing no answer would ever be good enough for Ray.
> Instead, he decided to change the subject.

TOM: [as Captain Over] Ever been in a Turkish prison?

> "Do you have anything
> planned for your day off tomorrow?"
>
> Looking at Benny suspiciously Ray replied "I'm not sure. Why are you
> asking?"

TOM: Ben, Benny, Benton, Fraser. All those names, but Ray's just Ray.
MIKE: I think that that is a very insightful look into the writer's
mind. Now we know she's obsessed with Ben.
CROW: I think we knew that before.

> Fraser's mouth curled up in a half smile "There's a new exhibition at
> the Museum that I thought you'd like to see."
>
> Ray groaned "How many times do I have to tell you Fraser I don't like
> that sort of thing. All those strange paintings and sculptured things,

MIKE: You know... culture and art and stuff...

> most of them are disgusting. They also don't look like anything that
> really exists. No I am not interested in going."
>
> Ray's suspicions grew as he looked across the table at Fraser, there was
> a positively wicked grin on his face. "What? What are you up to Fraser?"

CROW: [as Ray] "Why are you pointing that gun at me? No! Help! Help!"

> "Nothing", came the deadpan reply.

TOM: [Minnewigan voice] Oh, that Benton is just so funny.

> "Oh no. I can tell, something's going on and I'm not going to like it
> and it's probably going to end up with me ruining another of my suits."

CROW: You're completely ruining the show's wardrobe budget.

> Fraser continued to grin, but said, "Ray, just come with me. You won't
> regret it." He stood up and went over to the counter, fixing himself

CROW: Ahem.
MIKE: Crow!
CROW: What?

> some coffee.
>
> Ray studied his best friend's back for a moment, then said "Fine Benny.
> I will go with you but I swear, if I ruin a suit or have to blow up my
> car again, I will kill you with my bare hands."

CROW: Your *bear* hands? Grrrrrrr.
MIKE: Please. Never make that sound again.

> Ben turned around and presented

TOM: The Late Show.

> two cups of coffee. He handed one to
> Ray and said, ever so confidently, "You won't regret it." Fraser once
> again made himself comfortable at the table.

TOM: [as Ray] "Please, Fraser. Put your clothes back on."

> Ray smirked at him. "Oh, I know I will." He paused. "Sooooo... what
> time do you want me to pick you up? I want to sleep in tomorrow so how
> about noon?" Fraser shook his head. "No, that's too late. How about
> nine?"
>
> Ray sighed. "Nope. Eleven?"
>
> "Ten." Fraser said firmly.

TOM: Ten fourty-five.
CROW: Ten fifteen.
MIKE: Guys, it can be all those times and more.

> Ray frowned and shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "Fine." He looked
> down at his watch. "Look, I gotta go...Ma is going to kill me if I
> don't get home for dinner tonight."

MIKE: Ray's really got a death thing going there. He's going to kill
Fraser, his mother is going to kill him, and that woman is going to
kill everyone he loves.
TOM: Kind of makes you want to go out and hurt someone, doesn't it?

> Ray stood up, straightening out his
> suit. He looked down at Benton, not wanting to leave him here alone.

CROW: Like he had done in so many episodes before.

> "Hey, do you want to come over to my house for dinner?"
>
> Fraser let out a low groan and shook his head. "No, I really don't
> think I can handle the excitement tonight."

TOM: [as Fraser] Especially when your mother starts doing that table
dance thing.

> Ray nodded in agreement,
> wishing he didn't have to go home. The constant arguing and shouting at
> the dinner table was enough to drive even the calmest person insane.

CROW: I'm calm and I'm sane. I'M CALM AND I'M SANE, I TELL YOU!

> "Okay, you know what you're missing" Ray grinned at Benny. "I'll be here
> at 10 sharp tomorrow. You sure you can't give me a hint of what we'll be
> doing?"

TOM: Is it bigger than a bread box?
CROW: Do you find it around the house?

> Ray pleaded as he made his way to the door. "No", was Ben's
> firm reply as he ushered Ray out of the door and closed it firmly behind
> him.

MIKE: Boy, he's really firm about things.

> At a whine from the floor Ben looked down at Dief. "No I don't think
> it's unfair not to tell Ray what we are going to see tomorrow. It's a
> surprise, but one that I know he'll enjoy.

TOM: He'll just love _Axe Murderers through the decades_.

> Now let's see about getting
> some dinner."
>
> Dief watched as Fraser busied himself in the kitchen preparing their
> evening meal. He sensed someone at the door and whined

CROW: Someone's at the door, *again*. Geez, never a quiet moment alone
here.

> to attract
> Fraser's attention. Turning to Dief Ben followed his stare to the door,
> protruding out from underneath it was an envelope. Wiping his hands on
> the tea towel he walked over to the door, bent down and picked up the
> letter. He heard his own gasp as he looked at his name written on the
> envelope

TOM: OH MY GOD! SOMEONE SENT ME A LETTER! NOOOOO!

> and his hands began to tremble, that writing, it couldn't be!

CROW: I know, but we don't have a choice about reading this.

> Ben thought he was going to pass out. He staggered over to the table
> and sat down, trying to control his emotions.

MIKE: One letter, and this guy just falls apart. How'd he ever get into
the Mounties?

> After the initial shock
> wore of, he began to read the eloquent letter that was so carefully
> written. Over and over he read it, not being able to believe that she
> was actually here. He laid the letter on the table and covered his face

CROW: With Crazy Glue! It's CRaZy.

> with his hands, not knowing what to do. She wanted him to meet her
> tomorrow morning. He knew he should go right to the police and tell
> them, but, he still loved her and couldn't bring himself to betray her.
> If only he could talk to Ray, but if Ray knew that Victoria was back in
> town he'd kill her. Ben didn't doubt that for a minute.

MIKE: See, there we go again. Ray and Death.
TOM: It must be a conspiracy.

> A whine from
> the floor drew his attention.
>
> Diefenbaker was staring at Fraser with wide, intelligent eyes.

CROW: I know there's implied sex, but...
<Mike is too shocked to say anything.>

> Smiling
> slightly, Ben started talking to his little friend. "You know, I really
> love her and it drives me crazy. Sometimes I feel that I deserved what
> she put me through.

CROW: Late at night. When it's my 'special' time.
MIKE: That's it. You've just earned yourself a Time Out.
CROW: But Mike...
MIKE: One too many, Crow. One too many.

> Other times...I don't know. There is just
> something about her, about me. We are bounded by an invisible cord and
> it can't be broken until one of us dies."

TOM: How Zen.
CROW: How nausiating.

> End of Part One

MIKE: There. That wasn't so bad, was it?
TOM: You did read that, didn't you?

> Article 12 of alt.tv.due-south.creative:
> From: QuePasha <quep...@fyiowa.infi.net>

CROW: Que Pasha, quo pasha.

> Newsgroups: alt.tv.due-south.creative
> Subject: Heart of Darkness 2
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 18:26:42 -0400

CROW: A date that will... Oh, never mind.

TOM: [western] I see yer seven bits and raise you a byte.

> ***
>
> As morning broke over the city Ben found himself still sitting at the
> small table with the letter gripped tightly in his hand.

TOM: He often found himself waking up in strange places, but that was
the after effect of too many Mentos.

> He brushed a
> hand through his hair and sighed deeply. The night had been full of
> torment and memories. He had relived the pain, the terror and the love
> he had experienced at the hands of Victoria.

CROW: Often in the same moment.
MIKE: You just couldn't leave it alone, could you?

> Still he couldn't decide
> what to do. He desperately wanted to talk to Ray, but he knew Ray had
> been hurt possibly more than himself when she had last been in Chicago.
>
> Dief was staring at him and as Ben met his eyes he spoke for the first
> time in hours. "I've got to meet her Dief. I still owe her a chance."

TOM: [western again] I see yer byte, and raise ya a Chance Harper.

> At Diefenbaker's whine Fraser commented "Yes I do know what happened
> last time. I'm just going to meet her this once, to hear her out, let
> her explain some of what happened." Dief just turned away in disgust.

CROW: Oooh. Dissed by the dog.

> He got up from the table and went into his bedroom, searching for some
> other clothes to wear. After he had quickly changed his clothes he went
> back to the kitchen and wrote a short note to Ray,

MIKE: "Hi! Off to see a mass murderer. Don't wait up."

> saying that something
> unexpected had come up. Fraser set it on the table and left to go meet
> Victoria.
>
> Once outside, he caught a bus that would take him downtown. Fraser
> found a seat and tried to relax but it was impossible.

MIKE: I know. Bus seats are just so uncomfortable.

> Victoria's
> presence filled his mind, twisting his emotions every way possible.
> What would he do when he saw her again? What would he say?

TOM: "Hello. You look... DIE YOU SCHEMING HEART-BREAKING BITCH! No,
wait, that came out all wrong."

> ***
>
> Ray Vecchio ran up the stairs to his best friends apartment. Rapping on
> the door

CROW: He went on to record an album with Ice T, and became the biggest
star since Milli Vanilli.

> he waited impatiently for it to open. "Hey Fraser, it's 10
> sharp, let's get going" he called through the closed door. He was met by
> silence.

TOM: Hi, I'm Silence. Who the hell are you?

> Trying the doorknob he discovered the door was unlocked. He
> pulled his gun, not knowing what to expect behind the door.

TOM: It's not like it's never been unlocked before!

> With his
> free hand he cautiously pushed it open...

CROW: Setting off the trap that exploded every TV set in upper state New
York.

> Before he had a chance to react, Diefenbaker was on top of him,

<Crow doesn't say anything, but shakes quietly.>

> frantically pawing at him and whining. "What is it Dief? What's
> wrong?" Diefenbaker let out a long, haunting howl in reply, sending
> chills through Ray's body.

MIKE: What he's really trying to say is that he hasn't been given
breakfast yet.

> "Benny is in trouble, isn't he?" he asked as a sense of urgency and
> panic was growing inside him. Dief whined again and trotted over to the
> kitchen table.

TOM: No, you fool. I want you to feed me.

> Ray noticed the note that was lying there. He quickly read it,
> wondering what this supposedly unexpected event was. Looking around the
> apartment Ray couldn't see anything out of place, but Dief's behavior
> really had him worried. Then he saw a crumpled piece of paper on the
> floor next to the kitchen table. Bending down he picked it up. Curiosity
> got the better of him and he carefully uncreased it and began to read.

MIKE: Remember kids, it's okay to read someone else's mail as long as
they leave it screwed up on the floor.

> He felt the blood drain from his body as the contents of the letter sunk
> in.

TOM: Some kind of vampire by post, I see.

> ***
>
> Ben sat at a table and stared at the glass doors . Victoria had chosen
> to meet him at the diner where it had all started. He checked his watch
> again and noticed his hands were shaking.

CROW: Actually, it was an earthquake, but we'll let him off.

> <If I am this nervous now,
> how am I going to feel when she walks though that door.> And just that
> moment she did.

ALL: D'oh!
TOM: Does that woman know her cues, or what?

> <Oh God, she looks beautiful> he thought. Her dark
> hair hung loosely about her shoulders making her eyes look even more
> striking than he had remembered.

CROW: So, he was hurt by her eyes striking him?
MIKE: Looks that way.

> She saw him at the table and started to walk towards him but stopped
> half way. Ben stumbled to his feet bumping his knee on the table as he
> got up; but he did not notice the pain.

MIKE: Oh, he's going to pay for that later.

> He walked slowly towards her
> his mind racing for something to say. She smiled , " Hi Ben". Ben
> thought his legs would give way.

CROW: <falsetto> Oh, I feel as giddy as a school girl.

> That voice, that smile; it was
> everything he had ever wanted, and everything she had taken away. With
> that thought brought all the pain of her betrayal rushing back. Gently
> he took a step back away from her wanting to distance himself from that
> pain.

TOM: He's really into this pain thing, isn't he?
MIKE: You wanna join Crow?

> She noticed the move and felt her smile falter. So that was how
> it would be. That was OK, she would bring him around.
>
> "Hi, Victoria." He tried to think of something else to say but couldn't
> form the words.
>
> She sighed softly and said, " Let's go somewhere we can talk".

TOM: <falsetto> I can't talk in a diner. It isn't something people do.

> "OK, the park isn't to far from here" Ben offered.
>
> Victoria shook her head, "No. Let's go to the zoo."

CROW: <falsetto> I want to shoot someone else.
MIKE: For those really intimate moments, I certainly want to be
surrounded by giraffs.

> "Your not going anywhere except to jail!" said a familiar voice. Ben
> and Victoria both turned around at the same time to see Ray standing in
> the doorway with Dief crouched at his feet looking hungrily at Victoria.

TOM: No-one had fed him yet. Perhaps she will?

> "Ray, what are you doing here?" Ben asked, trying to keep the shock out
> of his voice.

CROW: [as Ray] Just getting breakfast. You want some arsnic with those
eggs, lady?

> " I thought you would have learned Fraser. With all she put you though
> , I really thought you would be smart enough to walk away but I was
> wrong.

TOM: I was wrong. I was just so wrong. I can't believe how wrong I was.
I was just sooooo-
MIKE: Enough, Tom.

> You think she loves you? She doesn't. If she did she wouldn't
> have done what she did."
>
> Ray's words had hit home and not in a very pleasant way. Ben tried to
> control the anger with his friend and only partially succeeded. "You
> don't understand Ray."

CROW: Is he talking to Victoria, or Ray?
TOM: Ray doesn't understand Ray?
MIKE: It was just a missing comma, guys.

> "Oh I think I do." And with that he turned on his heal and left Dief
> following close behind.

CROW: So there. Nyah.

> ***
>
> Ray sat in his car and tried to sort out his feelings. He felt more
> than a little angry at Benny for trusting that horrid woman again .
> <What was wrong with him anyway!? Last time she was in town Dief was
> shot, my house was turned upside down, and Benny nearly died. Not that
> was Victoria's fault, I was the one that shot him.>

TOM: It was just something that he had always wanted to do, but never
had the chance.

> Ray felt a sour
> feeling in his stomach at that thought. I was so sure she had a gun....
>
> ***
>
> Ben watched as Ray got into the car and drove off. He understood that
> he was bitter about the whole ordeal , he had a right to be, but the
> words had still hurt more than he would ever admit. Especially coming
> from someone he loved as much as Ray. He felt Victoria put a hand on
> his shoulder and turn him to face her.

TOM: <singing> Bend me, shape me, anyway you want me...

> Her face was understanding but her voice was cool. "I do love you. Ray
> had no right to say that I don't."

CROW: So she did do those things becuase she loved him. Ouch.

> Ben sighed letting out his anger with the breath, "I know. Come on, we
> need to talk."
>
> ***
>
> Ray watched them leave the little diner, deciding what his next move
> would be.

MIKE: Everyone's watching everyone else. These people should join
Stalkers Anonymous.

> It was his duty as a police officer to arrest her but Fraser
> was his friend...if he turned Victoria in now he would never be
> forgiven. He reached his decision; Benny had to find out for himself
> that Victoria was up to no good. Ray sighed, wondering if he should
> follow them.

TOM: Stalking is always an option.

> <No> he sternly said to himself. <Benny's on his own
> now.>
>
> When he got home he was still pondering the situation between Benton and
> Victoria. As he entered the kitchen his mother noticed that something
> was bothering her son. "Raymondo, what's the matter?"

CROW: [as Ray] You. Stop calling me *Raymondo*.

> "I really don't want to talk about it right now."
>
> "Are you sure? Something is really bothering you."
>
> "No ma, I am fine. Can we drop the subject?" Ray brushed passed his
> mom and opened the refrigerator, looking for something to eat.

TOM: I think that was a very disrespectful gesture.
MIKE: Good, Tom.
CROW: Yeah, he should have shot her through the head.
<Mike sighs>

> His mom nodded, knowing that it was no use pushing the subject. As she
> remembered that she was out of garlic she thought of her carefree
> daughter.

MIKE: Garlic.. daughter.. Yep. I can follow that.

> "Have you seen Francesca today? She went out earlier this
> morning for a few groceries but never came home. I assume she must of
> met a nice young man and they decided to go out for lunch or something."

TOM: She's just a casual swinger that way.

> Ray swung around, as sense of dread crept into his mind. "What time did
> she go out?" he asked.
>
> Mrs. Vecchio was surprised at this sudden show of concern for his
> sister.

CROW: It was the first time he had acknowledged her since the "Tomato
Paste" incident.

> "Ah...well, she left a little after eight this morning. Why? Is
> something wrong?"
>
> Ray shook his head. "No, it is probably just a coincidence."

TOM: Coincidence... or plot device? You decide.

> End of Part Two
>
> --
> *QuePasha*********************QP*********************QuePasha*
> ** Toodles! **
> ** Heather Alina Gillson...aka QuePasha **
> ** PGEB and D'MOB **
> ** My email address is quep...@fyiowa.infi.net **
> ** QuePasha's Due South Site! **
> ** http://www.student.toplinks.com/hp/QuePasha/duesouth.htm **

MIKE: Oh, that's just so pretty.
TOM: Let's roll, guys.
<Mike picks up Tom, and they all leave the theater.>

[Commercials: Iz your day a Zima day?]