MiSTed - The Vanished (XF/Twin Peaks) 4/8

Bill Livingston

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
>[7:55 PM]
> Mulder thumped on Scully's door with one hand,
>straightening his tie with the other.

CROW: Hey, he's ambidextrous
SERVO: Showoff!

> "Hey, come on Scully." He glanced at his watch and said
>helpfully, "If you're looking for your shoes they're still on your
>feet."

SERVO: [As Scully] Bite me, Agent Pinkboy

> He was about to pound on the door again when he heard the

CROW: Trumpet of Doom!!
ALL: DEATHMAAAAAATCH!!!

>chime of the elevator. Turning, he felt his eyebrows rise at the
>figure that emerged from the doors.

MIKE: It was a quadratic equation

> She was dressed in a column of black, her hair softly
>framing her face, her arms bare. She smiled at him broadly and
>walked to his side.

CROW: RuPaul, no!
SERVO: RuPaul, yes!!

> "Agent Mulder, I came down to tell you that Agent Scully
>will be meeting you downstairs."
> Mulder regained his poise but couldn't keep the smile from
>his face.

SERVO: Or the song from his heart

> "Ms. Horne, you look lovely this evening."

CROW & SERVO: [singing] My my my my Mulder!

> "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself."
> Mulder grinned sheepishly. "Thanks." After a beat, Mulder
>realized he was still staring, and hastily offered his arm. "Shall we
>go down, then?"

[All cough and shift nervously]

> "Why thank you, Agent Mulder," Constance smiled.
> They entered the elevator and Mulder remembered to ask,
>"What happened to Scully?"

MIKE: Well, she was born, then she became a doctor, then she became
an FBI agent, then she got kidnapped and impregnated by aliens,
then she got trapped here with you and Cooper

> "She got a spot on her suit and went to get it cleaned."
> "Ah."
> "Agent Mulder, can I ask you something?"

SERVO: [Constance] I've got a package for "Red Shoes" and I was
wondering...?

> The two of
>them stepped out of the elevator and moved towards the bustling
>lounge.
> "Sure."
> "Are you and Agent Scully....?"

MIKE: Only in the dreams of fanfic writers around the globe

> Mulder looked down at Constance Horne's dark eyes and
>ruby lips, taken quite by surprise;

CROW: When did she get lips?

> he had an answer formulated for
>just such a question but he could see it was too late- his hesitation
>had already given him away.

SERVO: Hesitation can be fatal when faced with the killer Fenn

> "I see." Constance said archly.
> "No," Mulder laughed, shaking his head, "I don't think you
>do."
> Constance smiled up at him with understanding, "You don't,
>either."

ALL: Third Base!

> Before he could reply they had made it to the steps into the
>lounge and Constance melted away from his arm

CROW: Thanks to Nutri-System!
> and into the
>crowd, flashing a sly grin behind her.

CROW: [falsetto] I'm so naughty, so naughty I am!

> Mulder rocked on

MIKE: Dude!
SERVO: Rock on, man!
CROW: WHOOOOOOO!!

> his heels for a moment, trying to pick
>Scully out from the crowd. Failing to see her, he walked down the
>steps and towards Cooper.
> "Coop, who are all these people?"

CROW: Well, there's Michael Ontkean, Madchen Amick...
SERVO: Lara Flynn Boyle, James Marshall...
CROW: Wendy Robey, Michael Horse...
SERVO: Russ Tamblyn, Grace Zabriskie...
MIKE: How do you guys -
CROW: Oh, we're hardwired directly to the Internet Movie Database.
SERVO: Yeah, right now we're at "http://www.msstate.edu/M/title-exact?2E647"

> "Mulder, I have no idea."

SERVO: Yes, and?

> Cooper was fidgeting nervously.
>"Where's Agent Scully?"
> "Got held up back there.

CROW: Boy, some FBI agent: his partner gets mugged and he walks
off in the middle of it!
SERVO: He's letting her have her personal space

> She'll be down in a minute. Have
>you seen Truman?"
> "Err. No, not yet." Cooper replied quietly.
> Mulder swallowed his words and reached for a glass of
>champagne.

MIKE: Champagne helps words go down better
SERVO: This message brought to you by the Booze Council [tm]!

> He had spotted Truman entering from the dining
>room, on his arm a very beautiful woman.

CROW: That's okay, Scully's a doctor: she can get rid of it

> Mulder had to deduce
>that she was Annie Blackburn and understood Cooper's
>nervousness. They were making their way through the crowd
>towards them.
> "Mulder, I don't think I'm ready for this..." Cooper said
>suddenly, but then Truman and Annie were upon them.

SERVO: And they were ripping them apart!!
CROW: Oh the carnage!!

> "Dale," Annie said immediately, disengaging herself from
>her husband's arm. "Thank God!" She embraced him gently, as if
>he would break. Cooper looked dumbfounded,

ALL: Half right!

> his head tilting
>slightly towards Annie's tumble of blonde waves. He hastily pushed

MIKE: The button?
CROW: [Forrester's voice] Push the button, Kyle! [regular voice] No, no,
I just don't see it

>her away from him and simply drank her in with his eyes.

SERVO: [Makes slurping noise] Ahh, that Annie hit the spot!

> "Harry,"

MIKE: Hey, it's "follically gifted"!

> Annie paused at her words, as if unsure. "Harry
>has told me what happened. What you think happened. I'm so
>sorry, Dale.

MIKE: [as Annie] I'm so sorry you attacked me like a freaking maniac
and left me for dead, you *yerk*!!!

> We- I- thought you were dead." Tears had begun to
>form in the gentle woman's eyes, and she brought a hand to her face
>to stifle the sobs. Cooper and Truman both moved towards her at

SERVO: Warp Speed!

>the sight. Annie turned quickly into the comforting arms of her
>husband. Cooper shrank away, eyes lowered.

CROW: The Incredible Shrinking Cooper!

> "This was supposed to be a happy occasion, Coop." Harry
>said, rocking Annie back and forth in his arms gently. "She really
>wanted to do this for you."
> "Thank you, Annie. Annie..." Cooper pulled at her
>shoulder gently, and she lifted her face, brushing away her tears.

CROW: She must be equipped with a flywheel mechanism or something

>"I thank you, for everything. I'm very happy for you and Harry."
> Annie gripped Cooper's hand gratefully and smiled like an
>angel.

SERVO: [falsetto] And the angel Annie appeared and said unto them,
"A little while more thou shalt suffer this fanfic"

> "MULDER, YOU OLD DOG!

[all make doggie noises]

> OR SHOULD I SAY
>'FOX'?"

CROW: Yep. Fridays at 9, 8 Central

> Gordon Cole pressed through the crowd, Albert in tow,
>reaching out to shake Mulder's hand.
> "Gordon. Still deaf, huh?"

MIKE: Mulder. Still a jerk, huh?

> "WHAT WAS THAT?" Gordon tapped the small device
>hooked around one of his ears, "THIS IS A NEW DOOHICKEY
>THE BUREAU IS USING ON ME.

CROW: [as Cole] SHOOTS COSMIC RAYS DIRECTLY INTO MY BRAIN!

> HAVEN'T QUITE GOT
>THE HANG OF IT, YET."
> Mulder reached over to the amplifier in Cole's pocket and
>flipped a dial.
> "How's that, Gordon?"

MIKE: Hey, he turned his crank to FRANK
SERVO: Oh, Frank...
MIKE: There, there, honey, it's all right.

> "NOT A PRAYER, MISTER. I'VE ALREADY TRIED
>THAT ONE."

CROW: [as Cole] BUT I CAN PICK UP NPR JUST DANDY

> Mulder gave up and shrugged at Rosenfield, who moved
>next to him and handed him a fresh glass of champagne.

SERVO: [as Albert] Now you know why *we're* so edgy, pal:
what's your excuse?

> "Rosenfield, I wasn't finished with that other one."
> "This is Cole's. He's already had a snootful, Mulder, and
>believe me you don't want him getting anymore."

MIKE: Yeah, his snoot might overflow, and that'd get nasty!

> Albert glanced at
>Mulder's attire, "Aren't we looking hot tonight.

SERVO: Must be wearing that recycled couch he had on at the Emmys

> Jesus, Mulder, you
>look like a paragon of intellectual snobbery and blue blood.
>Stepped right out of a damned GQ!"

MIKE: Well, thanks, I - HEY!

> "Like your tie, Rosenfield," Mulder replied, flipping the
>tangled mess that was Albert's bow tie with a finger. Albert didn't
>even flinch.

CROW: Does this bug you? I'm not touching you! Does this bug you?

> "I know that my clothing is usually of the most orderly and
>impeccable nature, but when I get to these wining and dining
>events, I firmly believe that a man's tie should make a statement
>about the personality it's strangling."

CROW: And I think we know just about *everything* we need to about
Albert's personality

> Mulder laughed and sipped his drink, wishing Scully was
>there to bail him out.
> "STOP THE PRESSES! COOP, TELL ME, WHO IS
>THAT LOVELY WOMAN STANDING ON THE THRESHOLD?"

SERVO: Of a nervous breakdown.

> Mulder casually glanced at whoever had caught Gordon's
>attention and nearly dropped his drink.
> "WOWZY WOW WOW!

CROW: Oh God, it's Arch Hall Jr.
SERVO: Just kill us now.

> LET ME TELL YOU COOP,
>THERE'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT A REDHEAD."

MIKE: [singing] There is ab-so-lute-ly nothing like a dame!

> Dana stood a bit breathless at the entrance to the lounge,
>grateful for the few stairs that descended so she could get a good
>look into the room.

SERVO: So some stairs go down and some go up?
CROW: The laws of physics are nullifiable in Twin Peaks

> People were dancing and the band from the
>previous night played lurching tunes from a small raised stage on
>one end of the floor.

CROW: [singing wheezily] Jumpin' Jack Flash is a gas gas gaaaaackkkk!!!

> She quickly spotted a group of suits and
>Mulder's head poking out amongst them.

SERVO: [as Scully] Mulder! Stop hiding in Robert Hall's

> Gathering her skirt, she
>ventured out into the room of milling people.

CROW: They're grinding wheat into flour?
MIKE: I don't think so

> Mulder swallowed, his throat suddenly dry, and placed his
>glass on the tray of a passing waiter. He had glimpsed her for only
>a second before she descended the stairs and disappeared into the
>crowd, but what he had seen...

CROW: What? He's seen her practically every day for the last three
years! Don't tell me there's something he hasn't seen yet!

> "Gordon, that's Special Agent Dana Scully."
> "SPECIAL AGENT IS RIGHT! MY GOODNESS,
>COOP. SHE'S HEADED THIS WAY! HOW DO I LOOK?"

SERVO: Compared to what?

> "Fine, Gordon, just fine."
> Mulder put his hands in his pockets coolly, trying
>desperately not to look as expectant as he felt.

MIKE: Let's hope his water doesn't break

> She slid past a few people, both hands full of her trailing
>long-sleeved dress, a rich burgundy velvet that sloped in a gentle
>curve off of her shoulders and clinged just tightly enough in the
>right places.

CROW: Seattle, San Diego, Albuquerque...

> Her auburn hair was piled in curls atop her head,
>trailing wisps framing her full face. Mulder noticed with relief that
>her makeup was the same as usual;

MIKE: She's still mostly water and carbon, with a few trace elements

> if one more thing about her had
>been different, they'd probably be scraping his jaw off the floor with
>a spatula.

CROW: [announcer] Come on down to SPATULA CITY! (r)

> Dana smiled a bit shyly as she approached them, seeing their
>stares, and a few steps away from Mulder, tripped in the most
>inelegant manner.

SERVO: Nothing worse than an acid flashback in the middle of a party.

> Mulder shot out a hand and caught hers, holding
>it firmly as she regained her balance.

MIKE: They must be practicing their circus act
SERVO: *The Circus!!* Nononono...
MIKE: Speaking of tripping -
CROW: He's still not over those shorts we saw a couple of years ago

> "Whew. Thanks Mulder. This dress is a bit too long for
>me."

CROW: She's not used to dressing this femmey

> She pushed a wisp of hair out of her eyes and smoothed down
>the wrinkles in her dress, obviously enjoying his speechless
>reaction.

SERVO: Anything that can shut Mulder up is fine by us

> He cleared his throat and tried to think of something
>safely neutral to say.
> "Scully, you have a neck!" he said suavely.

ALL: *D'OH!!!*

> She only smiled at him, amused.
> "Really, you look great, great" he said, desperately trying
>not to sound desperate for words.

SERVO: You, it's, y'see, heh heh heh, that is, we, I, ummm...

> Constance appeared at his elbow,

ALL: YAH!!
SERVO: She's David Copperfield in drag!

>smiling broadly at Scully, who gave a small flourish to her outfit.
> "Constance helped me. I couldn't have done this without her."
> "Agent Mulder, you've got a puddle of drool on your shoes!"

MIKE: That happens, sorry

> Both women laughed merrily at Mulder's expense, which he
>took gladly upon hearing the sound of Dana's uninhibited laughter.
> "EXCUSE ME, AGENT SCULLY. I DON'T BELIEVE
>I'VE HAD THE PLEASURE."

CROW: [as Cole] NOT FOR A LONG LONG TIME!! IT WAS BACK DURING THE
FORD ADMINISTRATION, AND...
MIKE: Crow, don't go there!

> Scully smothered her laughter and shook Gordon's hand
>politely, "Gordon Cole?"
> "YOU KNOW MY NAME! FELLAS, STAND BACK. I'M GONNA NEED SOME AIR."

MIKE: Wouldn't laughing gas be more appropriate?
SERVO: [D.Hopper] DON'T LOOK AT ME! DON'T EVER LOOK AT ME!!!
MOMMY!!!! MOMMY!!!!

> Scully felt like a little girl again; the little girl who snuck
>into Mother's closet and tried on her favorite clothes, smearing
>lipstick and blush everywhere then proudly walking into public,
>feeling like a movie star.

CROW: Now she actually has something in common with Mulder

> She had to admit to herself that she felt a
>bit glamorous...even a bit sexy. It was freeing and delicious, and

MIKE: Low in saturated fats

>she could feel the relaxation easing into her bones with each passing
>minute.

MIKE: Oh, she's just been hittin' the hotel bar again
CROW: Booze really makes you a hit at parties
SERVO: This message brought to you by the Booze Council [tm]!
Booze satisfies.
CROW: Booze: have some today!

> "Quite a transformation, Agent Scully, quite a
>transformation."

SERVO: It's more than meets the eye

> "Thanks, Albert."
> "You know, formal wear is a tricky thing.

MIKE: Not as long as you have that whole "opposable thumb" deal
mastered

> Either people
>bring it down to their level- look at Mulder here, he slouches even
>in a thousand dollar tux..."
> "Rental," Mulder informed him.

CROW: That's pretty stiff for one night

> "...or people 'dress up' to their level. Now, I've seen some
>Bureau women, all dolled up for some shindig or another, but

CROW: Shindig?
MIKE: You know, a hullabaloo
SERVO: A hootenanny
MIKE: A Jubilation
SERVO: A soiree'
CROW: Hey, that's French!

>without that stiff Bureau regime, that Bureau authority, they were
>like a mass of spineless, formless jelly.

SERVO: Insert your own Bill Clinton joke here

> I'm saying unabashedly that
>you, Dana, have turned my knees to jelly this evening."

ALL: EWW-W-W-W!!

> "Yes Dana, you look like a vision."

CROW: And you sound like a, er, sound

> "Thank you Cooper, you look very handsome yourself.
>How is our guest of honor?"
> "Wondering who all these people could be."

MIKE: They could be aliens, or vampires, or spirits, or living shadows, or
giant leeches, or -
SERVO: Stow it, Mulder!

> Harry Truman stepped over to Dana, "Agent Scully, I'd like
>you to meet my wife, Annie."

SERVO: I saw your show on Broadway - very nice!

> Scully looked at the woman on Truman's arm and
>recognized not her appearance, but the aura of goodness about her
>that Cooper had described in his tapes.

MIKE: I don't recall the face, but your glow is familiar

> "Nice to meet you, Annie."
> "Agent Scully."
> "Dana."

CROW: Chief?
SERVO: McCloud?

> "LIKE THE WOMAN IN THE PAINTING."
> "What painting, Gordon?"

SERVO: Guernica

> "YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN, COOP. SEASHELLS,
>RED HAIR DOWN TO KINGDOM COME. BOTTLE-SOMEBODY!"

MIKE: Barbara Eden?

> "Ah, Botticelli. BOTTICELLI'S BIRTH OF VENUS,
>GORDON?"
> "EST-CE QUE VOUS DESIRER DANSER AVEC MOI?

CROW: Translation, anyone?
MIKE: I'm not sure, but I think he just accused Fred Astaire of "filling
my vacuum cleaner with quiche"
SERVO: I think he asked for a boiled tractor and some duct tape

>THAT'S FRENCH, YOU KNOW, MS. SCULLY. DIDN'T
>SPEND THE LAST FEW YEARS IN EUROPE FOR NOTHING.

CROW: [as Cole] AT LEAST IT WON'T BE ONCE THEY APPROVE THAT
DARN EXPENSE ACCOUNT

>I CAN SAY A LOT MORE BUT I THINK I BETTER GET TO
>KNOW YOU A BIT BETTER FIRST."
> Mulder could see the top of Dana's lip curling as she tried to
>smile convincingly at Cole and seized the

SERVO: Hey!

> opportunity.

SERVO: Oh. OK.

> "She can't hear you, Gordon," he said smoothly, taking
>Dana up in his arms and steering her towards the dance floor.

CROW: Boy, she lets him get away with a lot
MIKE: Well, think about it, who would you rather have after you -
Mulder or Gordo?
CROW: [long pause] I hope those aren't my only options
SERVO: Cooper?
CROW: [sighs] I'd just get a sammich and stand in the corner!

> Scully peered around his shoulder as they wandered
>amongst the other couples and looked gratefully at Mulder, who
>murmured,

MIKE: "The Truth is Out There" (tm)
SERVO: [Scully] Ix-nay, we're off duty!

> "Twinkletoes."
> Scully struggled, trying to gather the loose folds of her
>dress and still follow Mulder's lead. "Where have I heard that
>before?" she managed to smile. She got a handle on her

SERVO: Toilet?
CROW: Car Door?
MIKE: CB Radio?

> situation
>and then nodded fractionally towards Gordon. "He's quite a
>character."
> "Yeah, Gordon's a classic."

MIKE: He's a 1955 Buick Super

> "He seems harmless enough."
> "That's what worries me."

SERVO: D'oh!!

> "Mulder," she began carefully, "does this animosity towards
>Cole have anything to do with his connection to the 'Blue Rose'
>cases and Project Bluebook?"

SERVO: Sounds like he got the blues
MIKE: He got the blues real bad!

> Scully felt Mulder stiffen in her arms

CROW: Well, I would too if -
MIKE: I wouldn't, if I were you
CROW: But you're not me, are you?
MIKE: One more thing to be grateful for.
CROW: Sure, but - hey wait a minute!

> and he steered her
>closer to the stage where the band was playing. He leaned in close
>and spoke under the cover of the music.
> "What do you know about it?"

SERVO: [German accent] You vill tell me all you know about Allied
shipping routes!

> "Um, just what I read from Cole's profile and Cooper's
>notes. I also have a case file I just downloaded from the FBI
>database that I haven't read yet;

CROW: Another wacky misadventure from "The Mixed-up X-Files of
Agent Dana K. Scully",

> the murder of a Teresa Banks?"
> "You've been doing your homework," Mulder said
>appreciatively.

SERVO: [as teenager] Yeah, but that Algebra stuff's really got me
stumped!

> "I try," Scully replied. "Care to let me in on what you
>know?"
> "I've been meaning to discuss this with you Scully, but was
>afraid that-" he paused, his lips pursing.
> "What?"

MIKE: The elves would show up with the hurting sticks!

> "I was afraid you wouldn't believe me," he said quietly.
> Scully sighed, giving Mulder's shoulders a small shake,

CROW: A Shamrock Shake

>"When has that stopped you before?"
> Mulder looked down into Dana's eyes, smiling at their
>lovely clarity and openness. "Project Bluebook was looking for
>evidence of E.B.E.'s , a military operation.

CROW: So the military is looking for the heebie-jeebies
SERVO: JEEBIES, HEEBIE, ONE CASE, *SIR*!

> I believe that Gordon
>Cole's 'Blue Rose' cases were to find proof of the existence of the
>Black Lodge. They both found what they were looking for; here in
>Twin Peaks."
"And the connection is...?"

CROW: Kevin Bacon

> "I'm not sure. Maybe there is no connection." Mulder saw
>that his words did not make Scully very comfortable and attempted
>to lighten her mood.

MIKE: [as Mulder] So, been kidnapped by any aliens lately?

> "Hey, this is a party. We can discuss this
>tomorrow, after you've read the Banks case. You were supposed
>to live a little, remember?"
> "Let my hair down?" she said with mock incredulity.

SERVO: Let your jaw go slack with amazement

> "You've got a gravity defying 'do, Agent Scully," Mulder
>observed matter-of-factly.
> Scully looked upwards, as if contemplating the dynamic of
>her pinned curls.
> "The night is still young, Mulder," she said finally.

SERVO: [as announcer] The mating ritual of the domestic FBI agent is
complex, yet beautiful

> Mulder fought to keep a straight face and retaliated by

CROW: Sticking her hand in a bowl of warm water

>giving Scully a low dip, rewarded by her small gasp of surprise and
>burst of laughter. As they settled into an easy rhythm, Mulder felt
>the room slow into a sluggish pace.

MIKE: Someone must have turned on "My So-Called Life"
SERVO: Yeah, that usually sucks all the life right out of a room.

> A spotlight framed his head as
>the rest of the crowd was plunged into darkness. He turned his
>head to scan the room and saw Cooper, his face also illuminated by
>a light.

SERVO: Spotlight dance on Fox and Dale!

> In his arms, Dana seemed frozen in time, unaware of the
>changes in the room. There was movement out of the corner of his
>eye

CROW: Gross, Scully's eye mites are infectious

> and Mulder looked to the stage.
> A tall, gaunt man in a bow tie, shirt and slacks, also
>illuminated by a harsh spotlight, stood on the stage.

SERVO: It's Bill Nye, the Science Guy!

> He was
>waving his arms as if in warning, his mouth moving with unspoken
>words.

CROW: He's saying, "Don't... let... them... move... you... to...
Saturdays!"

> Mulder turned his head to look at Cooper, who was staring
>fixedly at the giant.

MIKE: [as Cooper] I'm *sure* he was on "Next Generation" once or twice!

> Lights began to flash and then the room was
>thrown into complete darkness, a few screams being heard during
>the split second it took for the lights to return.

SERVO: Aw man, these Jaycee haunted houses are just so *lame*!

> "Mulder! What happened?" Scully cried as the brief panic
>ebbed out of the crowd.

MIKE: [as Eb] Boy, Mr. Douglas, wuz that that BOB feller?
CROW: [as Hank Kimball] Hey there, Mr. Douglas, oh, I see ya got
BOB there, well, y'know, maybe not BOB, maybe more like a
Robert or somethin'...

> Truman hurried towards the stage, Annie
>trembling with fear behind him, as he soothed the crowd.
> "Everyone, stay calm. Just a hiccup in the power, nothing
>to be alarmed about."
> "Harry!"

MIKE: Look, I'm in electrolysis, so lay off!!

> Mulder and Scully rushed to the stage where Cooper stood,
>bending over a body that lay exactly where the Giant had stood.

MIKE: Barry Bonds is down!

> "Cooper, what is it?" Truman asked as they gathered
>around the inert form.
> "HOLY COW!"

SERVO: They've been transported to Wrigley Field.
MIKE: And the Cubs are playing the Giants
CROW: In bow ties

> Cole said as he also made his way to
>Cooper's side. "COOP...MEET SPECIAL AGENT CHESTER
>DESMOND!"

CROW: Chester Tate?
SERVO: Let's split guys
[Mike and bots start to leave]
CROW: Chester Cheetah?
MIKE: No, no, Crow, *Desmond*.

Commercials - 1) RI-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-COLA-A-A-A-A-A-A!!!!!!!!
2) Thea Vidale. Jeff Foxworthy. Dom Irrera. Cathy
Ladman. Rondell Sheridan. Margaret Cho. Richard
Lewis. Ellen Cleghorne. Drew Carey. You want more?!?
Carole Leifer. Louie Anderson. Elaine Boosler. George
Wallace. Yakov Smirnoff. Gallagher...
3) Soloflex, uh, NordicTrac, uh, oh, whatever!!

bi...@Traveller.COM
Best if Used by Date on Label