-- MSTIED: spam shorts (3/3) --

Rufus T. Firefly

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

> DO YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY FAST?

Servo: Then pump it up full of steriods!
Mike: Brought to you by the Ban Johnson foundation

> Of course you do, we all do!

Crow: Why do I feel like I'm about to see Sally Struthers? NOOOO....
Servo: Calm down, man.

> Here's how to do so with little effort, and, yes IT'S LEGAL.

Servo: Oh well, my interest just escaped.

> And for you doubters:

Crow: YOU WILL ALL BURN IN HELL FOREVER!
Mike: Crow...

> I am laughing all the way to the bank :-) And guess what? I
> was a doubter too!!

Servo: [in a southern preacher's voice] But now I BELIEVE in jesus!
Mike: So is this some jehovah's witness fundraiser?
Crow: Mind if I come in for a couple minutes?

> A little while back, I was browsing these newsgroups, just like
> you are now,

Servo: Wow! This man is psychic!
Crow: Or psych-O, one of the two.

> and came across an article similar to this that said you could make
> thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of

Mike: Well, umm, a couple of thousand dollars. It's not so much the
MONEY, you see, it's the PRINCIPALS involved...

> $6.00!

Crow: Will get you not one, but TWO rentals at Blockbuster with an
additional purchase of eight dollars...

> So I thought, "Yeah, right, this must be a scam!"

Mike: Well, no need to jump to conclusions or anything.

> but like most of us, I
> was curious. Like most of us, I kept reading.

Servo: Like most of us, I kept repeating the same line OVER AND OVER
AGAIN WITH NO END IN SIGHT!
Mike: Calm down, man.

> Anyway, it said that if

Crow: [in a mothers voice] All your friends jumped off a bridge, would
you too?
Servo: Yes.

> you
> send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and addresses stated in the article,

Mike: Then you would NOT find a horses' head in your bed.

> you
> could make thousands in a very short period of time.

Servo: Of course, you ALSO need a regular job...

> You then place your
> own name and address at the bottom of the

Servo: Sea

> list at #6, and post the
> article to at least 200 newsgroups.

Crow: If you want to see Billy alive again.

> (There are about 22,000.) or e-mail them to
> friends, or e-mailing lists...

Mike: Or friends' emailing list, or your e-mail list's friends...

> No catch, that was it.

Crow: That's it? Meaning this doesn't go on any longer? Good, let's...

> Even though the investment was a measly $6, I had three questions that

Crow: Damn.

> needed to be answered before I could get involved in this sort of thing.

Servo: One: What is the capital of Nebraska?
Mike: Two: What is the capital of the Chase National bank?
Crow: Three: How many frenchmen can't be wrong?

> 1. IS THIS REALLY LEGAL?

Servo: [energetically] HELL no!

> I called a lawyer first. The lawyer was a little skeptical that I would

Crow: Be stupid enough to try a thing like this

> actually make any money but he said it WAS LEGAL if I wanted to try it.

Servo: Of course, so is suicide...

> told him it sounded a lot like a chain letter

Mike: Well, it SMELLS like a chain letter... looks like a chain
letter... tastes like a chain letter
All: It IS a chain letter!

> but the details of the
> system
> (SEE BELOW) actually made it a legitimate legal business.

Servo: Ranking right up there with professional assassins, the mafia,
and the tobacco industry!

> 2. Would the Post Office be ok with this...?

Servo: [energetically] HELL no!

> I called them: 1-800-725-2161

Crow: That's 1-800-725-2161 TODAY! Have your credit card ready!

> and they confirmed THIS IS ABSOLUTELY
> LEGAL!

Mike: You know, he's going through a lot of trouble to convince us that
this is PERFECTLY LEGAL... one would almost doubt him.
Servo: Were it not for the down-to-earth genuineness of his story, I
myself would be a doubter.
Crow: Even WITH the down-to-earth genuineness of his story, I'm a
doubter.
Mike: Maybe it's BECAUSE of the supposedly-down-to-earth genuineness.
Servo: Good one.

> (See Title 18,h sections 1302 NS 1341 of Postal Lottery Laws). This
> clarifies the program of collecting names and addresses for a mailing
> list.

Mike: A MAILING LIST? I thought this was a way to get rich quick!
Servo: I'm so ashamed...

> 3. Is this moral?

Servo: [energetically] HELL no.
Mike: Okay, once is funny...
Servo: Bite me.

> Well, everyone who sends me a buck has a good chance of getting A LOT of
> money ... a much better chance than buying a lottery ticket!

Crow: ALMOST five-million to one!

> So, having these questions answered, I invested EXACTLY $7.92 ... six
> $1.00 bills and six 32 cent postage stamps ... and boy am I glad I did! Within
> 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! I was shocked!

Mike: Wait until he finds out that the Unibomber is ALSO on the mailing
list!

> I still figured
> it would end soon, and didn't give it another thought. But the money

Servo: Soon stopped coming in. I was broke and without a home.

> just continued coming in! In my first week, I made about $20.00 to $30.00
> dollars!

Crow: And that DOESN'T include tips!

> By the end of the second week I had a mad total of $1,000.00!

Mike: Well maybe if you'd stop SHOUTING it wouldn't be so mad.
Servo: I didn't know that money had emotions.
Mike: Well, it IS the root of all evil.

> In the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it was still growing.

Crow: [begins to say something]
Mike: No, Crow.

> This is
> now my fourth week and I have made a total of just over $42,000.00 and it's
> still coming in.....

Crow: This is beginning to sound legit. HELP ME!
Mike: Calm down, man. It's only a scam, it's only a scam.

> It's certainly worth $6.00 and 6 stamps!

Crow: [as if in a trance] Yes it most certianly is.
Mike and Servo: Uh-oh

> So now I'm reposting this so I can make even more money! The *ONLY*
> thing stopping *ANYONE* from enriching their own bank account is pure
> laziness!

Crow: Exactly, master.
Servo: SNAP OUT OF IT, MAN!

> It took me all of 5 MINUTES to print this out, follow the directions,
> and begin posting to newsgroups. It took me a mere 45 minutes to post to
> over 200 newsgroups. And for this GRAND TOTAL investment of $ 7.92 (US) and
> under ONE HOUR of my time, I have reaped an incredible amount of money

Crow: I will do the same.
Servo: Listen: [shouting] IT IS ONLY A SCAM! SNAP OUT OF IT!
Crow: WHOA. What happened?
Mike: You were temporalily brainwashed by the evil SpamBot's message.
Servo: We thought you a goner.
Crow: Thanks, guys.

> --
> like nothing I've ever even heard of anywhere before!
> 'Nuff said!

Crow: Good. Let's leave.

> Let me tell you how this works, and most importantly, why it works.

Crow: No, no, really, don't feel pressured on MY account.

> Also,
> make sure you print a copy of this article now,

Servo: Yeah. Right.

> so you can get the
> information off of it when you need it.

Mike: This guy seems to have some fascination with the word "it".
Servo: I think it's a type of O-B panty complex
Mike: I see.

> The process is very simple and
> consists of THREE easy steps.

Crow: One: Stop reading this message. Two: Get a tie. Three: Get a job.
Servo: Four: Get a life.

> ============
> HOW IT WORKS
> ============

Servo: It doesn't.

> STEP 1:
> ------
> Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of
> paper:

Crow: We have your son. If you want to see him alive again...
Mike: That's enough.

> PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
> $1 US DOLLAR PROCESSING FEE IN ENCLOSED.

Mike: In enclosed WHAT?

> (THIS IS KEY AS THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT LEGAL SINCE YOU ARE PAYING FOR AND LATER
OFFERING A SERVICE).

Crow: I think prostitution operates under similar elements.

> Now get 6 $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of paper
> so the bill will not be seen through the envelope to prevent theft/robbery.

Mike: Hey, they'll take every dollar they can get.

> Then, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. You
> should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating the
> above phrase and an U.S. $1.00 bill.

Servo: And, preferably, you should KEEP the envelopes if you want to
make ANY money.

> Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses:

Crow: White House, 1600 Pennsylvania ave, DC

> #1 - D.Necalliski
> 1266 Lisa

Mike: Who's it named for?
Servo: Little girl by the name of Lisa, I presume

> Drive
> Warrington, PA 18976

> #2 - Pete Sharpe

Crow: He's an awfully witty fellow... very SHARP
[Servo and Mike groan]

> 648 Midway Ave.
> Holland,

Mike: The city so great they named an entire COUNTRY after it.

> MI 49423
>
> #3 - G. Rice

Crow: Any relation to Jerry?

> P.O. Box 572
> Humboldt, AZ 86329
>
> #4 - Kim Smith
> 700 Archer Street #1
> McKeesport, Pa 15132
>
> #5 - Peter L. S.
> 1253 Leaside drive
> Pittsburgh, PA 15207
>
> #6 - P. Sunshine

All: "You are P. Sunshine, the only Sunshine..."

> 184 Plymouth Street
> Pittsburgh, PA 15211
>
> STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the
> other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc.) and add YOUR Name as
> number 6

Crow: AND 5, AND 4....

> on the list.
> (If you want to remain anonymous

Servo: Then TOUGH NOOGIES.

> put a nickname, but the
> address MUST be correct. It, of course, MUST contain your country,

Mike: Oh, sure, this offer limited to DICTATORS only.

> state/district/area, zip code, etc! You wouldn't want your money to fly
> away, wouldn't you?).

Crow: Somehow this makes no sense at all.
Servo: Don't worry, it's not supposed to.

> STEP 3: Now post your amended article to at least 200 newsgroups.
> Remember that 200 postings are just a guideline. The more you post, the more
> money you make!

Crow: The less you post, the LESS money you make!

> Don't know HOW to post in the news groups?

Servo: Then you're OBVIOUSLY a nincompoop.

> Well do exactly the following:

Crow: Ask someone who knows how to do it FOR you.
Servo: Do you think they could spare us the in-depth instructions?

> HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS FAST WITH YOUR WEB BROWSER:

Mike: Give your browser an extra dose of Water Joe.

> The fastest way to post a newsletter: Highlight and COPY
> (Ctrl-C) the text of this posted message and PASTE (Ctrl-V) it into a
> plain

Mike: Well, it may be plain, but it won't depart you for someone younger
and richer

> text editor (as Wordpad) and save it.

Crow: ...From a fate worse than DEATH!

> After you have made the necessary changes that are stated above,

Servo: Do not call us. We will call you.

> simply COPY (Ctrl-C) and PASTE (Ctrl-V)
> the

Mike: I feel like I'm in Kindergarten again.

> text into the message composition window, after selecting a newsgroup,
> and
> post it! (Or you can attach the file, without writing anything to the
> message window.)

Servo: It's a free country, after all.

> If you have Netscape Navigator 3.0 do the following:

Servo: Curse Bill Gates to hell forever.

> 1. Click on any newsgroup like normal, then click on 'TO NEWS'. This
> will
> bring up a box to type a message in.

Crow: Prove it.

> 2. Leave the newsgroup box like it is, change the subject box to
> something
> flashy, something to catch the eye,

Mike: I'd prefer something a bit more PRACTICAL.

as "$$$ NEED CASH $$$? READ HERE! $!
> $!
> $" Or "$$$! MAKE FAST CASH, YOU CAN'T LOSE! $$$". Or you can use my
> subject
> title.

Crow: How about, "Dumb stupid scam that actually WORKS!"?
Servo "... At conning hundreds, even THOUSANDS of people!"

> 3. Now click on 'ATTACHMENTS'. Then click on 'ATTACH FILE'. Find your
> file
> on your Hard Disk (the one you saved from the text editor). Once you
> find
> it, click on it and then click 'OPEN' and 'OK'. You should now see your
> file name in the attachments box.

Crow: And if you don't, then, ha! You're screwed.
Mike: Crow...

> 4. Now click on 'SEND'/'POST'. You see? Now you just have 199 to go!
> (Don't
> worry, it's easy and quick once you get used to it.) NOTE: All the
> versions
> of Netscape Navigator's

Servo: He may be rich, but he sure can't spell.

> are similar to each other, so you'll have no
> problem to do this if you don't have Netscape Navigator 3.0.

> ! QUICK TIP!
>
> (For Netscape Navigator 3.x and above)
>
> You can post this message to many newsgroups at a time, by simply
> selecting
> a newsgroup near the top of the screen, hold down the SHIFT, and then
> select a newsgroup near the bottom of the screen. All of the newsgroups
> in/between will be selected. After that, you follow/do the basic steps,

Mike: Basic is relative...

> stated below at this letter, except of step #1. You can go to the page
> stated below in this letter and click on a newsgroup to open up the

Crow: Garage door?

> newsgroups window. Once you've done this, in the same window go to
> 'OPTIONS', and then mark 'SHOW ALL NEWSGROUPS' and 'SHOW ALL MESSAGES'.
> Now
> you can see all the newsgroups and you can apply easier the above tip.

> If you have MS Internet Explorer do the following:

Servo: Panic.

> 1. Go to the newsgroups and press 'POST AN ARTICLE'. To the new window
> type your headline in the subject area and then click in the large

Mike: Well, "big-boned" is how I prefer it...

> window below.
> There either PASTE your letter (which it's been copied from the text
> editor), or attach the file which contains it.

Crow: OR just buy Netscape, it saves ME a hell of a lot of typing!

> 2. Then click on 'SEND' or 'OK'. NOTE: All versions of MS Internet
> Explorer
> are similar to each other, so you won't have any problem doing this.

Servo: Yeah, well, says YOU.

> GENERAL NOTES ON POSTING: A nice page

Mike: You know what they say, "nice pages finish last".

> where you'll find all the
> newsgroups

Servo: Or at least a good portion... maybe... if you're lucky...

> if you want help is http://www.liszt.com/ (When you go to the home page,

Crow: Leave immediately.

> click on the link 'Newsgroup Directory'). But I don't think you'll have
> any
> problem posting because it's very easy once you've
> found the newsgroups. All these web browsers are similar. It doesn't
> matter
> which one you have. (But it makes it very easy if you have Netscape
> Navigator 3.0 or later.

Crow: Don't I remember suggesting this five minutes ago?

> You may download it from the Internet if you
> don't have it.) You just have to remember the basic steps, stated below.

All: SPARE US!

> BASIC STEPS FOR POSTING:
>
> 1. Find a newsgroup and you click on it.

Crow: Is this some rap song?

> 2. You click on 'POST AN/NEW ARTICLE' or 'TO NEWS' or anything else
> similar to these.

Mike: I think we get the point, please...

> 3. You type your flashy headline in the subject box.

All: Shut up.

> 4. Now, either you attach the file containing your amended letter, or
> you
> PASTE the letter. (You have to COPY it from the text editor, of course,
> from before.)

Crow: You mean he's not going to remind us how to copy it from the text
editor? I feel so confused and helpless.

> 5. Finally, you click on 'SEND' or 'POST' or 'OK', whatever is there.

> **REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE! BUT
YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200**

All: Says you.

> That's it! You will begin receiving money from around the world within
> days! You may eventually want to rent a P.O.Box due to the large amount
> of mail you receive. If you wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name
> to use, as long as the postman will deliver it.

Servo: Okay, okay, for God's sake, i know how to do this! I REMEMBER,
DAMMIT.
Mike: Servo...

> **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT. **
>
> ANOTHER EXCELLENT PROGRAM: "AutoPoster" http://www.spck.se/bulk/
>
> MULTIPLE. POSTING ON HUNDEREDS OF NEWSGROUPS AT ONCE . The worlds most
effective AutoPoster to Internet newsgroups!

> A high speed Newsgroup Auto Poster/Newsreader for Windows 95

Mike: This reminds me of the debt the world owes Bill Gates, who, with
his...
Crow: [cutting him off] Mike.
Mike: Yes?
Crow: Shut up.

> Autopost articles to more than 27,000 newsgroups
> Super fast - up to 12,000 posting per hour on a single PC
> Easy to run

Servo: Easy to train! Learns simple commands such as "sit", "stay", and
"kill".

> Built in Special Functions such as:
> Scramble Random Fake Sender
> Rotate Unlimited Postings
> Group Postings
> Force Hits

Crow: You know, these sorta sound like sexual activities, in a way.
Mike: Crow...

> =================
> Now the WHY part:
> =================

Servo: Because it's good, trust me! It is!

> Out of 200 postings; say I receive only 5 replies (a very low example).

Servo: I would have gone higher, but I'm only typing with ONE hand.
Mike: Tom...

> So
> then I made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now, each of the 5
> persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200 postings, each with
> my

Crow: Sure, he COULD have put the name of a poor starving kid, but
NOO...

> name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each of
> the original 5, that is another $25.00 for me, now those 25 each make
> 200
> MINIMUM posts with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will bring
> in
> an additional $125.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around and post the
> MINIMUM 200 with my name at #3 and only receive 5 replies

Servo: WE GET THE POINT! WE GET THE POINT!

> each, I will make an additional $626.00! OK, now here is the fun part,
> each
> of those 625 persons post a MINIMUM 200 letters with my name at #2 and
> they
> each only receive 5 replies, that just made me $3,125.00! Those 3,125
> persons will all deliver this message to 200 newsgroups with my name at
> and if still 5 persons per 200 newsgroups react I will receive
> $15,625,00!
> With an original investment of only $6.00! AMAZING!

Servo: Mmm... not really, I can do it with ONE hand.
Crow: Same here.

> And as I said 5
> put
> those figures at just 15 responses per person. Here is
> what you will make:

Crow: ABSOLUTLY zilch.

> at #6 $15.00
>
> at #5 $225.00
>
> at #4 $3,375.00

Servo: Is this a return to the womb or something?
Mike: I feel so... so young...

> at #3 $50,625.00
>
> at #2 $759,375.00
>
> at #1 $11,390,625.00

Mike: What about zero?

> When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest
> posting
> in the newsgroups, and send out another $6.00 to names on the list,
> putting
> your name at number 6 again. And start posting again. The thing to
> remember
> is,

Mike: "RESISTANCE IS USELESS!"

> do you realize that thousands of people all over the world are
> joining
> the internet and reading these articles everyday, JUST LIKE YOU are now!

Crow: No.
Servo: Shouldn't there be a question mark there?
Crow: I think there was a shortage...

> So
> can you afford $6.00 and see if it really works?

Servo: Read... my.... lips... NO!

> I think so... People
> have
> said, "what if the plan is played out and no one sends you the money?

Crow: You're out six dollars, that's for sure! Ha!

> So
> what! Is there really a chance of that happening when there are tons of new
> honest users and new honest people who are joining the internet and
> newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try?

Servo: My sources say, "yes".

> Estimates are at
> 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands of those joining
> the
> actual Internet. Remember, play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this will work.

Crow: Isn't he going to tell us HOW to play honestly and fairly? These
instructions are SOO inadequate.

> You
> just have to be honest.

Mike: We're looking for a few good men.

> By the way, if you try to deceive people by posting the messages with
> your
> name in the list and not sending the money to the rest of the people
> already on the list,

Servo: You will rot in hell forever.

> you will NOT get as much. Someone I talked to knew
> someone who did that and he only made about $150.00,

Mike: [sarcastic] Oh, sure, a "friend". Right.

> and that's after
> seven
> or eight weeks! Then he sent the 6 $1.00 bills, people added him to
> their
> lists, and in 4-5 weeks he had over 10k.

Servo: So? At Mervis Diamond Importers I can get a 24 carat diamond for
ten thousand dollars.

> This is the fairest and most
> honest way I have ever seen to share the wealth of the world without
> costing anything but our time!

Mike: Well, sure there's hard work, but this is SO much more honest,
really it is...

> You also may want to buy mailing and
> e-mail
> lists for future dollars. Make sure you print this article out RIGHT
> NOW,

Crow: Right.

> also. Try to keep a list of everyone that sends you money and always
> keep
> an eye on the newsgroups to make sure everyone is playing fairly.

Servo: [whining] Mooommm, Billy didn't send me my illegal money through
the mail!
Crow: [motherly] Now boys, when cheating and scamming, play fair.

> Remember
> that HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

Servo: Then why not come out and say it: THIS IS A SCAM!

> You don't need to cheat the basic idea
> make the money!

Crow: But it SURE helps!

> GOOD LUCK to all and please play fairly and reap the huge rewards from
> this, which is tons of extra CASH. Please remember to declare your extra
> income. Thanks once again...

Crow: You're NOT welcome.

Servo: Is it over?
Mike: I guess so...

Servo: NOOOOO! IT WILL NOT BE STOPPED!

> LEGAL? ? ? (Comments from Bob Novak

Crow: Bob Novak, wanted in ten states for mail fraud, money laundering,
and grand larceny

> who started this new version.)
>
> "People have asked me if this is really legal. Well,

Servo: It isn't. But I don't care! Vote for me in 2000!

> it is! You are
> using
> the Internet to

Crow: Scam and con hundreds of people!

> advertise you business.

Mike: I've heard of "small business owners", but...

> What is that business?

Crow: Porn. Pure and simple.
Mike: Crow...
Crow: Bite me.

> You are
> assembling a mailing list of people who are interested

Servo: In scamming other people, who are interested in scamming OTHER
people...

> in home based
> computer and online business and methods of generating income at home.
> Remember that people send you a small fee to be added to your mailing
> list.
> It is legal. What will you do with your list of thousands of names?

Mike: Trade it in towards the next years model?

> Compile all of them into a database and sell them as "Mailing Lists"
> on the internet in a similar manner, if you wish, and make more money.
> How do you think you get all the junk mail that you do?

Crow: I always preferred to believe that the "junk-mail fairy" slipped
them under my pillow at night.

> Credit card
> companies, mail order, Utilities, anyone you deal with through the mail
> can sell your name and address on a mailing list, unless you ask them
> not to, in addition to their regular business, So, why not do the same
> with the list you collect.

Servo: I thought that was a question?

> You can find more info about "Mailing Lists"
> on the internet using any search engine.
>
> " So, build your mailing list, keep good accounts, declare the
> income and pay your taxes. By doing this you prove your business

Mike: Is a total fraud, standing for nothing

> intentions. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and when the cash has stopped
> coming (that means your name is no longer on the list), you just take

Crow: Off your clothes and PARTY NAKED.

> the
> latest posting at the newsgroups, send another $6.00 to the names stated
> on
> the list, make your corrections (put your name at #6) and start posting
> again.

Servo: What, he's not going to tell us how to do THAT? And they call
this simple.

Mike: It's over?
Crow: IT'S OVER!
All: Hooray!

[THEATER... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... HATCH]

[MST3K love theme]

copyright 1998 Rufus T. Firefly
Mystery Science Theater 3000, the characters within Mystery Science
Theater 3000, and all references to those are Copyright 1998 Best
Brains, inc.

JAS

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Thank you for misting this most hated piece of spam. I cannot
understand why it keeps appearing in the newsgroups.