MiSTing: TimeLapse 7/8

Chris Mayfield

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM8/20/95
[Continued from part 6]

>From: dpi...@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Demetrius Pietz)
>Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek

Tom: I understand recreation, and I understand Star Trek, but how
does art figure in?

>Subject: REPOST "Time Lapse" 4/5 new stuff
>Date: 16 Sep 91 21:21:18 GMT
>

> The Enterprise sat quietly in the hanger.

Tom: Must he start every chapter with the Enterprise sitting
somewhere?
Mike: Maybe it's a deeply symbolic structural thing.
Crow: Or maybe he just keeps repeating himself. Volley.

> On the battle
>bridge the bridge crew was getting things orginized for the raid

Tom: [slyly] A panty raid.

>on the Poltar station. Picard sat at his command chair quietly
>listening to

Mike: KMST, the light FM.
Tom: More Reba!

> the details of what had transpired after the
>explosion of the saucer section.

Crow: [Picard] And then I did what?
Tom: [Crusher] Asked everyone to touch your "captain's log."
Crow: [Picard] I am so ashamed.

> "I have a hard time beliveing that I did that."
> "Well sir, you were out of

Mike: Order.
Tom: Money.
Crow: Clean underpants.

> sorts. But it's good to have you
>back."
> "It's good to be back."

Mike: One of these days Demetrius is going to surprise us and come
up with an original phrase of his own.

> The conversation was interupted by a transmision.
> "All ship captains

Crow: On the ice. It's all captains skate now.

> please report to the briefing room." the
>signal said.

Tom: Unfortunately, no one heard it because the signal was a high
amplitude radio wave.

> "Well I guess that's me. If you all will excuse me."

Mike: [Picard] I need to see a man about a Denebian Slime Devil,
if you know what I mean.

> Picard got up and left. He walked quickly and calmly to the
>briefing room.

Crow: Once he got there, though, he collapsed into a sobbing pile
of jelly.

> Ariving he adjusted his uniform and walked in.
> "Gentelmen, time has come to strike back at the Poltar.

Tom: The Federation Strikes Back!

> We
>have obtained the needed information from our ageints in the
>field.

Mike: They surveyed the lot. We should be able to begin
construction next month.

> Now the station is located in sector 14. It has a
>complement of thre ships.

Tom: The NiƱa, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria Alonza Conchita.

> Two frigets and one light battle
>cruiser.

Tom: It has half the calories of a regular battle cruiser.

> As well it has a battery of four

Crow: AAs.

> phasers. I want to send
>two ships against it.

Mike: The Kamikaze and the Hari Kari.

> The rest of us will procede at low warp to
>the Poltar headquarters. If all goes well

Mike: All will end well.

> the station will be
>taken out prior

Tom: Richard Prior.

> to our arival at the Poltar base. The ships
>assigned to the station are the Enterprise and the Kalthow.

Tom: Hot walk?
Crow: Law koth?
Mike: I don't think this is any fancy anagram, guys.

> After
>the station is destroied they are to meet us

Crow: At the McDonalds on Ohio Street.

> at the base to help
>in the attack. If they are unable to destroy the station then

Mike: We are seriously screwed.

>there won't be anyone to meet at the base."

Tom: Because they'll be dead.

> "If there are no questions

Crow: [Epstein] Ooh! Ooh! Mistah Kottah!

> than be set to launch in three
>hours."
>
> The Federation ship Enterprise

Mike: The good ship Lollipop.

> and Romulan Kalthow sailed
>into the blackness of space.

Tom: [mysteriously] And were never seen again...

> "Mister Worf, keep a close look on the sensors."
> "Aye sir."
> "Now entering

Crow: Missouri, the Show-Me State.

> sector 14 sir."
> "Thank you mister Data. Mister Worf..?"
> "There is nothing here sir! It must be a trick!"

Mike: Mr. Copperfield's illusions are accomplished without the aid
of camera tricks.

> "Raise the Kalthow."
> "Aye sir."
> "Kalthow, this is the Enterprise,

Tom: And you're not.

> it would seem that our
>quarry is not here."

Mike: It looks like we'll have to get our marble somewhere else.

> "So it would seem...."
> "Sir, a large object is uncloaking!"

Mike: I hope it's not Roseanne. Ulgh.

> "Shields up! On screen mister Data."

Crow: Why would they want Data on--oh, I get it.

> The main viewer blinked. Then showed a aft view of the
>Enterprise.

Tom: [dumb voice] Enterprise has a big butt. Dis!

> Even farther a large shape was fadeing in. As it took
>a more solid form four green lances of light spread out from the
>station.

Mike: Look out! Hal Jordan's gone rogue!

> The phasers impacted with the Enterprise. The ship
>rocked violently as warning lights lit up all over.

Tom: Tilt! Tilt!

> "Kalthow it would appear our target is present."

Crow: Double dur-hey.

> Another volly hit the Romulan ship breaking communication.

Tom: And wouldn't you know, the warranty just expired.

> "Mister Worf, return fire full spread. Direct all unneeded
>energy

Mike: In a production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

> into the shields. Shields and weapons systems have top
>priority. LaForge bring us around, get the station

Tom: TBS? WGN? CNBC?

> in a 90 degree
>cross fire."
> The Enterprise slid around the station.

Crow: I will kill you, Ted Turner!

> The Romulan ship
>began to fire repeated barrages of plasma torpedos and phasers
>that errupted into a violent dance apon the stations shields.

All: [hum "Sabre Dance"]

>Long arcs of ruby light hit the stations shield straining them
>even further. And volly after volly

Crow: After volley after volley after volley after volley...

> of photons peppered the area
>like fireflies.

Crow: You got your simile in my metaphor!
Tom: You got your metaphor in my simile!
Mike: It's two lame images that go worse together!

> "Mister Worf, any sign of the stations complement ships?"
> "Not yet, sir."
> "Sir, the station shields are starting to fail."

Crow: Kiss those Goodwill Games aloha, suckers!

> "Good, increse phaser intensity and prepare an anti-matter
>spread."

Tom: I can't believe it's not anti-butter.

> The station tried desperatly to fend off the two ships.

Mike: It jammed the airwaves with episodes of "Captain Planet."

> The
>Poltar phasers fired maddly back and forth between the two ships.

Crow: The Poltar ships are shooting each other?

>The shield glowed and strained under the force of the weapons.
>Then like an egg in a vice it gave way.

Tom: Ewww! I see a beak!

> The phasers were now able
>to hit the station. The two vollies crashed thorugh the colapesed
>shield and hit the station hard.

Crow: So we're supposed to believe the phaser went through the
shield, turned 45 degrees, entered the station here, moved upward
from the point of entry, and exited here?

> The uppermost levels were
>destroid instantly.

Mike: And this is for colorization!

> Molten steel and air bled out into the void
>of space.

Tom: It's going to take more than a band-aid to fix that.
Mike: Maybe mommy can kiss it and make it all better.

> A plasma shot hit and invelopped most of the station.
>The outer

Crow: Limits.

> layers were burnned away. Crewmen from the station were
>blown, silently screaming, into space.

Mike: It blowed up good.
Tom: It blowed up real good.

> "Sir, now reading two ships approching from starboard."
> "Bring us around. Prepare to fire."
> The Enterprise swung around to meet the new threat.

Mike: Up With People.

> As they
>came to bare on the ships

Crow: They're mooning them! Whoo!

> the Enterprise was hit full force by
>both vessels. Explosions rocked the ship.

Tom: Gently to sleep.

> Sub-systems burnt out
>and the bridge filled with the unmistakable smell of electrical
>fires.

Crow: Oh, that's me. I had a burrito earlier.

> "Mister Worf, fire. Full anti-matter spread as well. LaForge
>bring us around

Tom: I just can't get enough of that phrase.
Crow: But you're forgetting "volley."

> to 134 mark 8, increase to warp 4. Mister Data
>rerout dammage systems."
> The Enterprise slid out to gain a better vantage point.

Mike: I think we could see better if we were on the opposite side
of the galaxy.

> The
>Kalthow, after finishing off the station proper,

Tom: Went after the affiliates.

> also turned to
>face the new

Crow: Christie Minstrels.

> ships. Phasers from the Romulan ship lept into
>space.

Mike: They would probably be more effective if they were aimed at
something.

> They slid and crackled down the sides of the Poltar
>shields. The Enterprise released a mass

All: Ewww!

> of anti-matter that
>filled the sky

Crow: [strained] There is no sky and no night in outer space.

> like fireworks. The bits of anti-matter hit the
>first Poltar ship square. The Enterprise followed up with a

Mike: One-two punch to the face.

> burst
>of phaser fire. The phaser shattered and past through the badly
>dammaged shield and severed a nascell

Tom: Lorena Bobbit in the 25th century!

> from the ship. The Poltar
>ship sputtered sparks then spun out of control into the chared
>remains of the station.

Mike: Tell CNN to watch its back.

> The resulting explosion threw all three
>remaining ships back.

Crow: Which is pretty amazing when you consider that space has no
air with which to transmit shockwaves.
Mike: Cynic. You probably don't believe in FTL travel either, do
you?

> The second Poltar ship had turned its attention to the
>Romulan. A mistake on its part.

Crow: What?
Tom: That's what we need! A mistake on its part!

> The Romulans, in the thrill of
>the fight, launched a consert

Mike: Everybody play Haydn on my mark!

> of plasma torpedos and phasers. The
>combination hit and tore the Poltar ship apart.

Tom: Was it a good idea to construct spaceships out of wet tissue?

> "Damage report mister Data."
> "Minor damage to

Crow: Plot. Storyline holding.

> secondary hull and navigation sub-systems."
> "Sick bay reports no casulties."

Tom: Sensors report no Sickbay.

> "Status of the Kalthow?"
> "Sensors report field fluctuations on her shield as well as
>damage to her weapons systems."
> "Sir, third Poltar ship

All: [singing] I saw three Poltar ships on Christmas day...

> appearing behind the Kalthow!"
> "Is the Kalthow taking any action?"

Mike: Are they hiring women and minorities?

> "Negitive sir. I don't believe they seem them!"

Tom: Is anyone who they're supposed to be in this fanfic?

> "Mister Data warn the Kalthow!"
> "I am unable to raise them sir."
> "Poltar ship weapons are powering up...they have lock on the
>Kalthow!"

Crow: It's a Schlege Lock--the Doberman of locks!

> "Lock all weapons on the Poltar ship! Prepare to fire!"
> "Unable to sir.

Tom: How exactly does one "sir?"

> Interferince from the Kalthows shield
>fluctuations is making lock impossable."

Mike: [singing] To lock the impossible lock...

> "Sir they are fireing!"
> "Fire phasers at the Poltar ship!"

Tom: What a brilliant tactical move!

> "But sir we are unable

Crow: To tell who is saying what.

> to lock on..."
> "Take a good guess mister Worf!"

Tom: The Boer War? Tristram Shandy? PV=NRT? Pass!

> The Poltar ship phased in. The blind Kalthow just sat there.
>Then in a blinding fury

Mike: Hey, the ship's already blind. You don't have to rub it in.

> the Poltar released its full arsonal
>unmercifly. The explosions threw the Kalthow like a rag toy.

Crow: Raggedy Ann! No!

> The
>final jolt threw it into the Enterprises weapons ment for the
>Poltar ship. The accedental

Tom: Tourist.

> shot ripped through the Kalthow
>engineering section.

Crow: [Worf] Oops.

> The matter/anti-matter chamber exploded like
>a small nova.

Mike: Suddenly it's "one shot-one kill."
Tom: At least when he's court-martialled, Worf can blame it on
Picard.

> The Poltar ship turned into the night

Crow: NO NIGHT! NO NIGHT! VOLLEY VOLLEY VOLLEY! HA HA HA HA HA!!
Mike: [grabbing him] Crow! Are you all right?
Crow: I'm not quite dead. I'm getting better. [breathes deeply a
few times] Sorry Mike, I had to let it out. I'm better now.
Mike: [unsure] I hope so.

> on a direct
>course for the Headquarters station. The trailing engine lights
>followed the ship in a mad chase to cath up.

Tom: [lisping] They're catching up! Inconthevible!

> "Sir the Poltar ship is on a direct course with the
>Resistance fleet."

Crow: They're heading for the next action sequence.

> "Alert the fleet."
> "I am unable, captain. The radiation from the Kalthow's
>explosion is preventing transmission."

Mike: Was that supposed to be technobabble?
Crow: If it was, then I *really* hate this fanfic.

> "Must be why they're in such a hurry. Going to send their
>message in person."

Mike: It's a singing telegram.

> "Agreed mister LaForge."
> No one had even noticed his arival on the bridge.

Tom: Or the ticking package he was holding.

> But the
>conversation flowed so evenly to include him.

Mike: So then that dickweed Geordi says--oh, hi there. We were
just talking about you.

> "Well mister LaForge, let's see just how well the new speed
>holds out.

Crow: What do you do? Shoot the captain.

> Maximum warp after the Poltar ship. They must not
>reach their destination."

Tom: See to it that Mr. Poltar has a nasty accident, if you know
what I mean.

> "Aye, sir ready to engage warp drive."

Crow: Have you reduced the psychological distance between you two?

> "Mister Data, engage."
> The crew could almost feel the ship

Mike: Seeing how they're in contact with it...

> as it lunged forward;
>reaching speeds that had previously been thought impossable.

Tom: Velocities exceeding the speed of light.

>Stars streeked past. The g-forces that couldent be adjusted for
>by normal systems sucked

Crow: [Beavis] Heh, heh, gravity sucks!
Mike: Never do that again.

> the crew into there seats. For the
>briefest of moments it reminded Picard of the old Earth roller
>coasters.

Tom: Then the acceleration crushed his fragile body and everybody
died. The end.
Mike: You just might be over doing that, Tom.

> "Sir, we are no able to transmit a message to the fleet."
> "Do so, mister Data."

Crow: [Data] But I just said that we can't.

> "Distance to Poltar ship?"
> "About 500,000 kilometers. And they are pulling away."

Tom: Even if they're only traveling at warp 1, they're only 1.67
seconds behind the other ship. They're practically tailgating!

> "What's our speed?"
> "Now reading warp 13.25."

Tom: I'm just waiting for the Poltar ship to hit its brakes.
Crow: Hey! Earlier they said they could only go warp 13.
Mike: You're complaining about continuity this late into the post?

> "Time to fleet?"
> "About 2 hour 12 minutes."
> The Enterprise ran headlong into

Tom: A star. The end.

> the unknown. Time ticked by.
>A combination of antisipation and fear

Mike: Picard: the fragrance of command.

> filled the ship. Picard
>sat in

Tom: Dr. Crusher's lap.

> his command chair. His eyes stareing into the screen;

Crow: [Picard] Man, I love Seinfeld.

>watching the stars fly by. His fingers tapped out the slow rythem
>of his heart beat.

Tom: Tap...tap...tap...tap...tap...
Crow: [Worf] STOP THAT INFERNAL TAPPING!!

> Then a dot appeared. It was small, almost
>unseen. As they got closer it became larger.

Mike: Thank goodness the law of perspective still works in the
future.

> This small dot in
>the middle of space,

Mike: This realm, this England.

> just sitting there, slowly nudged the bridge
>crew out of their state of

Tom: Confusion.

> daydreaming that the stars haad placed
>them in. Then like a waterfall the activity level shot up.

Crow: But waterfalls go down.
Mike: I can only guess at what he meant with that last simile.

> "Sir now reading an object dead ahead."

Tom: "Dead" being the operative word here.

> "Identify it please mister Data."

Crow: [Data] I'll call it George, and I'll love it and hug it...

> "It would appear to be one of the resisstance fleet's ships."
> "Life signs?"

Crow: [Groucho] Either this ship is dead, or my chronometer has
stopped.

> "None."
> "Sir," said Worf, "I am now reading

Mike: Thank you, Levar Burton, for opening up a new world of
adventure for me.

> several more ships and
>debrey. And I am also reading several destroied Poltar ships in
>the area."

Tom: They've entered the Secret Starship Burial Grounds.

> "Slow to warp 3."
> "Aye sir, warp 3."
> "How far are we from the Poltar headquarters?"
> "We are 4.35 parsecs away."

Tom: Now, are warp speeds logarithmic or linear?
Mike: I don't know. Why?
Tom: Because if it's linear (i.e. warp 3=3c), 4.35 parsecs at warp
13 would take about a year to travel, and if it's logarithmic, it
would take 4.48x10^(-5) or 8.49x10^(-94) seconds to get there,
depending on whether you use factors of ten (warp 3=c*10^3) or of
the speed of light (warp 3=c^3) respectively.
Crow: Once again, math rears its ugly head.

> "Alert the fleet tell them we are on our way."

Crow: Mike, what's deja vu?
Mike: It's the feeling that you've seen or done something before.

> "Aye sir."
> "Resume course and speed."

Mike: Stop. Now speed up again. Stop! Speed up! Again!

> The Enterprise slid away from the broken ships. A cold draft

Crow: Was passed around.
Mike: [Worf] I juss wanna say that I love you guyss.
Tom: Booze. Seek out and explore it.

>sweeped through the battle bridge.

Tom: The Enterprise had developed a hull breach. Everybody was
sucked into the empty vacuum of space where they died. The end.

> The draft was so soft that
>even Data seemed to shiver just the slightest bit.

Crow: Maybe he just remembered seeing Patrick Stewart naked in the
dressing room.
Tom: That was an image I could have gone my whole life without
bringing up.

> As if breaking into a crowded room the Enterprise was

Mike: Stared at by the other ships, and self-consciously wondered
if it's fly was open.

>suddenly surounded by all sorts of ships. Like a crowded night at
>a disco,

Crow: Ah, Demetrius Pietz, master of imagery.

> ships danced around one another, lights filled the sky.
>For a brief moment it looked like a New Years Eve party.

Tom: Except that there weren't any people, phaser fire was
everywhere, and it was all set against the empty background of
outer space.

> Then a
>hit shock the Enterprise.

Mike: Or a shock hit the Enterprise. I forget which.

> "Mister Data, full power to shields. Mistar Worf, target the
>nearist Poltar ship, fire when ready.

Tom: [Worf] I have to go the bathroom first. Then I'll be ready.

> Helmsman, bring us around
>to 735 mark 8."

Mike: Jennifer 8
Tom: Butterfield 8
Crow: Henry VIII
Mike and Tom: Huh?

> The Enterprise swung into the fray like a car into L.A. rush
>hour.

Crow: In other words, it sat there for an hour and a half in the
same place.

> They came in below and behind a Poltar ship. Worf's fingers
>flew over

Tom: Deanna.

> the control pad. Phasers lept from the Enterprise and
>sliced the ship like a roast.

Mike: Who wants to carve?
Bots: I do! I do!

> Worf reaimed and fired again at
>another ship. This one was lucky and survived the hit,

Tom: This one went wee-wee-wee all the way home.

> but not
>before surendering the upper levels of the hull. It was like
>shooting ducks in a barrel.

Crow: It was like mixing your metaphors.

> A Poltar phaser rippled over the
>Enterprise's shields. Well maybe not, these ducks shot back.

Mike: Daffy and Donald: Out for Justice.

> "Sir shields are at 89% and dropping."
> "Understood LaForge. Divert power from everywhere needed.

Tom: Take it away from all the essential systems.

>Shut down all unused sections."
> "Sir two Poltar gunboats have dropped in behind us."

Mike: They're the Merrimack and the Monitor.

> "Bring us around to 635 mark 3, increase speed."

Crow: Just what kind of coordinate system is this guy using?
Cylindrical? Spherical? Cartesian space with fixed origin? What?
Mike: Probably just good, old, making up numbers.

> "They are following and closing.", said Worf as he lauched a
>few photons aft, keeping the main phasers trained

Tom: Heel phasers! Roll over! Good weapons.

> on the ships
>before them."
> "Mister Data, readings on that damaged freighter."

Crow: The damaged freighter
Fell victim to the Poltar.
Bang! It is no more.
Mike: That was Crow T. Robot reading his "Haiku for a Damaged
Freighter."

> "Readings indicate a cargo of tri-nethaltien, an old style
>solid perpelent used by the Klingons.

Mike: It's the U.S.S. Plot Device.

> No life signs."
> "Mister Worf target that freighter. Fire a single photon

Crow: Any particular wavelength, sir?

>timed detonation when the gunboats pass it."

Mike: And they will pass it. Count on it.
Tom: But how does Worf know how long to set the timer?
Mike: Uh...

> "Aye sir, torpedo away."
> The lone torpedo sailed from the ship. It slowed and dove at
>the freighter.

Tom: The torpedo made its way to the freighter, fertilizing it,
and starting the chain of life over again.

> Then seconds later the Poltar ship flew over the
>freighter.

Mike: Over? Which direction is "up" in space?
Tom: The top of the TV screen.

> The torpedo detonated. The fireball consumed the two
>gunboats. The shock wave rocked the Enterprise.

Crow: See above.

> Then as the wave
>disapated another explosion hit the ship."

Tom: Wait, someone was talking there?

> "Mister Worf, damage report."

Mike: Look! He spelled damage correctly!
All: [cheers and applause]

> "Comeing in sir. Decks three through nine report damage to
>the outer and inner hulls. Hull breach reported on decks five and
>nine.

Tom: [singing] Breaching nine to five, what a way to make a
living...

> Shields are at 27% and falling."
> "Decompress decks five and nine. Move all personel to the
>inner

Mike: Ear. Reroute power through the stapes.

> decks. Divert all power except for life support to forward
>shields."

Crow: *All* power?

> "Aye sir."
> "Bring us with in 300 kilometers of the base."

Crow: But you just had me divert engine power to the shields.

> "But sir at that range we will be unable to withstand the
>bases firepower."

Tom: Yeah, it'll only be an entire state away.

> "Understood mister Data, just do it."

Mike: Life is short. Die hard.

> "Aye, sir 250 kilometers and closeing."
> The Enterprise inched forwards.

Crow: Tom...
Tom: Thank you, Crow. At one inch per second, 250 kilometers would
take almost four months to traverse.
Mike: You guys are being way too anal retentive about this.

> The base, not seeing the
>Enterprise as any threat shot only pop shots at it.

Tom: Let's see...there's a massive Galaxy class starship which is
far more immense than anything the Resistance has got. I guess
it's not a threat.

> The few
>phaser strikes weakend the forward shield.
> "We are now within 300 kilometers of the base, sir."

Crow: You're here, but the Poltar have the travelers checks there.

> "Good. Full power to all phasers, lauch full volly of photon
>torpedos in consert with

Mike: The Three Tenors.

> anti-matter spread. Prepare to evacuate
>ship."