[MiSTed] Duty Now For The Future (by Devo) -- Part 1

Rbrav

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/9125/mst3k.html

Part 1
---

By Raul Gonzalez [Rb...@aol.com]
Additional author: Annnnnna [Tr...@mind.net]

[The S.O.L. Mike and Crow are standing next to Tom, who is scribbling on a
pad.]

TOM: Adjective.
MIKE: Poofy!
CROW: Fudge-arrific.
TOM: Fudge-arrific it is.
MIKE: Aw.
TOM: Ok. Noun.
CROW: Celery.
MIKE: Horseshoe.
CROW: Antenna.
MIKE: Bratwurst.
TOM: Bratwurst.
MIKE: Yes! I love Mad Libs.
TOM: Next... adverb.
MIKE: Smellily.
CROW: Repulsively.
MIKE: Loathsomely.
CROW: Erratically.
TOM: Bingo. Noun.
MIKE: Commercial.
TOM: How ironic.

[Break]

[The S.O.L. They're still at it.]

CROW: Traffic.
MIKE: Pidgeon.
CROW: Lava lamp.
MIKE: Spaghetti.
CROW: Nostril.
MIKE: Lira.
CROW: Scenery.
MIKE: Lambada.
CROW: Methane.
TOM: Methane it is.
MIKE: Hmph.
TOM: Verb.
CROW: Flay.
MIKE: Bloat.
CROW: Flabbergast.
MIKE: Irradiate.
CROW: Puncture.
MIKE: Galvanize.
CROW: Submerge.
MIKE: Spelunk.
CROW: Gargle.
TOM: Good one.

[The Mads sign flashes.]

MIKE: Well, there's Bill and Fossey...

DR. FORRESTER: Why, hello, Mike. Lovely day, isn't it? Oh wait, I forgot... you
don't have weather. So sorry.
MIKE: Well, there was that meteor shower a few hours ago...
DR. FORRESTER: As if I care. Now, I'm in a hurry because my drycleaning's
almost done. What's your invention?
MIKE: Well, I thought up a really great one this week. It's...
DR. FORRESTER: Too bad, mine's better. Now, this week, I'm sending you...
MIKE: But I didn't even get to show you my Roadkill First Aid Kit! I...
DR. FORRESTER: Shut up. My drycleaning's done, and I have to go get it. This
week, I'm sending you Step 2 of your de-evolution: Duty Now For The Future.
MIKE: Devo? Cool!
DR. FORRESTER: Oh crap, I forgot the effect wore off! Maybe if I set it to a
different frequency... Frank! Fetch me the Helmet O' Hate!

[TV's Frank brings him the helmet. He turns a dial on the side and presses a
button. There is a bright flash.]

MIKE: Devo? Again?
TOM: Argh!
CROW: Please don't do this to us! I'm sorry I sent you that mailbomb! Really!
DR. FORRESTER: Stop whining. Now bye!

[Music sign]

MIKE: We've got music sign!
TOM: Wait, I need one more noun... ah...

[6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...]

>DEVO CORPORATE ANTHEM

TOM: "Corporate Anthem"? Devo sold out!
CROW: I wonder who actually bought them...
TOM: I doubt Microsoft needs a monopoly *that* badly.
MIKE: (announcer voice) In music news today, Devo sold out for an estimated $5
per member and a family size pepperoni pizza. Dozens of geeks and losers
across the country are dismayed.

>[instrumental]

CROW: Well, at least we don't have to listen to vocals for now.
TOM: Enjoy it while you can.
MIKE: Let's try to fall asleep.

TOM: This sounds like a funeral march. Who died?
MIKE: Apparently, the lead singer.
CROW: Good riddance.

MIKE: I've heard this before. Sounds like a TV theme...
CROW: Probably Mastergeek Theatre.

TOM: It's over? After a minute?
CROW: Do we hafta listen to him sing now?

>CLOCKOUT

TOM: I wish they hadn't clocked in to begin with.

>[drum roll]

TOM: (ringleader voice) And now, presenting the sideshow...

>All right!

TOM: Get ready...
CROW: Get set...
MIKE: 1... 2... 3...
ALL: SUCK!!!

>Clockout!

CROW: Does that mean we can leave?

>I got my coat

MIKE: The one he left peanut butter in the pockets of.

>I got my keys

TOM: I got my left hand! I got my...
MIKE: Hush, that's all over now.

>I got my head down to my lungs
>And move my feet

CROW: I'm really going to need a diagram to picture that.
TOM: Is this Devo or Clive Barker?
MIKE: He's also got his thighs down to his toes and his pinkies down to his
kneecaps.

>Me, I got all the secretaries

TOM: Devo? Near women? There's something wrong with this picture...
CROW: Did you just figure that out now?

>Down on their knees

TOM: Oh please GOD stop singing!!

>Look at 'em scoot

CROW: Aren't they precious?

>They gonna clockout

MIKE: They go home early. They come in late.

>I got my money

CROW: He hasn't spent his $5 yet.

>Tied up in stock

TOM: Let's see... Euro-Disney... ValuJet... some Taiwanese businesses... there
we go.

>I got my mammy

MIKE: All slapped.

>Take my doggie for a walk

TOM: Bite him! Bite Devo!

>Me, I got the biggest little business

CROW: Devo's Auto Parts.

>Down on the block

MIKE: At this rate, we'll be the smallest company around!

>Get ready get set

TOM: Brace yourself...

>'Cause we gonna clockout

MIKE: Yeah, I'd like to clock something, all right.

>Down on all fours

CROW: Geez, this song's kinky.

>'Cause we gonna
>We gonna

CROW: We gonna *what*?
MIKE: Oh, the anticiii...
TOM: ...pation...

>We gonna

TOM: Calm down, take your time. Now, where were we?

>We gonna clockout!

CROW: Oh, yeah. That.
TOM: There, doesn't it feel better, getting that out of your system?
MIKE: I'd sure like to get Devo out of my system. As it is, I've lost half my
brain cells in this past 4 minutes or so.

>Take my advice

CROW: Buy high, sell low. No, wait...

>Hear my decree

TOM: ('proclaiming' voice) You shall care... for no song... on this album...

>I'm afraid the future's gonna be

CROW: With us still around.
TOM: I'm scared, Mike. Hold me.
MIKE: Uhm...

>Maintenance free

TOM: Will the future also have the fresh scent of pine?

>I got the big brush for your bowl

CROW: A toothbrush for a toilet bowl.
MIKE: I'm sure Devo got a lot of demerits during military service.
TOM: Devo was in the military? No wonder we screwed up Vietnam.

>Baby can't you dig my plea

CROW: Ooh, he's babbling again.
MIKE: At least it's not about fruit ooze...

>Gonna gag

TOM: Beat you to that.

>Unless we clockout

CROW: I'm about to black out.

>[weird synth noises]

TOM: Darn, the phone's still busy.

>No, no, no

MIKE: (sobbing) No... no...

>TIMING X

CROW: At least we missed the first 9 Timings.

>[instrumental]

TOM: You know, so far two out of three songs have been instrumentals. I'd say
that's a pretty good sign.

CROW: Ooh, Kraftwerk gets stoned.

TOM: Hey! Drums and a guitar! Blasphemy!

MIKE: I hope they have some more instrumentals later on.
TOM: And we haven't heard the background singers yet. This album may not be so
bad...

>WIGGLY WORLD

MIKE: Say wha?
TOM: My mistake.

>[music starts]

MIKE: No, I'd say *this* is Kraftwerk stoned, except that this also has
guitars...
CROW: And Kraftwerk had talent...

>They say the fittest shall survive

CROW: Does that mean that Dan Quayle's actually fit?
TOM: A million years of evolution.

>Yet the unfit may live

TOM: Devo being a prime example of this.
CROW: Silly Darwin.

>Let 'em wear gaudy colors or avoid display

MIKE: Or just drop anvils on their heads.
TOM: Hey, this *is* Warner... home of Bugs Bunny...
CROW: Anvils! I want anvils!

>Hey it don't matter

CROW: Nope, it sure don't.
MIKE: Grammar, that is.

>It's all the same

TOM: Yup, so far every one of these songs is worse than Hanson.
CROW: That takes skill.

>So I do this and I do that

MIKE: You do *what*? This is radio!
CROW: Yeah, I bet this song got a lot of airplay.

>So I do this and I do that

TOM: He does this and he does that...

>So I do this and I do that

MIKE: Can you do that on television?

>So I do this and I do that

CROW: Oh, thanks. That makes it much clearer.

>-It's never straight up and down

TOM: Oh no!
MIKE: Not them...

>-It's never straight up and down

CROW: I though Warner sprayed for these guys after the first album!
TOM: Shoo. Go 'way.
MIKE: Oh, the horror...

>-It's never straight up and down

CROW: It's moving again.
TOM: Call the janitor.

>It's never straight up and down

TOM: Sometimes, it gets diagonal, y'know...
MIKE: Or it just runs around in circles.

>Oh you got a nickel

CROW: Ooh, shiny.

>I got a dime

TOM: He's actually a few cents short of a dime.
CROW: Can you say half-cent?
MIKE: I have a Susan B. Anthony dollar...

>I'd like ta get ta know ya

TOM: He sounds like a stalker.

>But I haven't got the time

MIKE: And besides, I don't wanna get to know you.

>You gotta walk like a mannequin

CROW: Yeah, let's watch that movie instead of listening to this.

>Roll like a tire

TOM: Float like a blimp.
MIKE: Actually, here, it'd be sink like a stone.

>Act on reaction

CROW: Toss this album out the window before opening it.
MIKE: All hail Dave Marsh.

>Dodge the big spud fryer

MIKE: I had a dream like that back when I worked at Burger King.
TOM: So that's what's up with their fries, right?
CROW: Well, when you've got Mr. Potato Head advocating cannibalism...

>Wiggle on the bottom

TOM: This is the bottom, all right.

>Wiggle on the top

CROW: (singing) Wiggle 'til you're high, wiggle 'til you're higher, wiggle 'til
you vomit fire!
MIKE and TOM: What?
CROW: Dylan.
MIKE: Oh. Crank up that turntable, yessir.

>Wiggle up the middle and laugh a lot

CROW: (forced laughter noises)
TOM: Wiggle till milk shoots out of your nose.

>Cause I been living in a wiggly world
>-Wiggly world

CROW: I bet Ralph Wiggum likes these guys.

>-Wiggly world

MIKE: I wonder how long these guys spent sniffing their Magic Markers.

>I gotta tell ya I've been living in a wiggly world, now

CROW: What I'd give for an adjectiveless world.

>-Wiggly world
>-Wiggly world

TOM: I'm beginning to get the feeling that he's living in a wiggly world.
Crazy, huh?

>Well I been living in a wiggly world

MIKE: Shut up and send a postcard.

>-Wiggly world
>-Wiggly world
>I gotta tell ya I've been living in a wiggly world

CROW: Quiet, you.

>-Wiggly world
>-Wiggly world

TOM: Maybe he needs Dramamine.
MIKE: I know *I* do!

>-Wiggle wiggle wiggle

TOM: I wish I had a verb blank left.

>-Wiggle wiggle wiggle

CROW: Grown men are singing "Wiggle wiggle wiggle". This is a sign of the
Apocalypse.

>-Wiggle wiggle wiggle
>-Wiggle wiggle wiggle

CROW: It's drownout time again...
TOM: La la la la la...

>Hey, I've been living in a wiggly world
>-Wiggly world
>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world

MIKE: I think I'm gonna get myself a lobotomy when this is all over.

>-Wiggly world
>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world

CROW: Does it rain gummi worms there?

>-Wiggly world
>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world

TOM: (stoner voice) Man, the world is *wiggling*...
MIKE: There's been a heavy emphasis on drugs this album.

>-Wiggly world
>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world

CROW: Sounds like the drummer is really straining back there.
TOM: I'm surprised his arms didn't fall off after that second song.

>-Wiggly world

CROW: Parallel dimension?
MIKE: I bet Devo owns a TechnoDrome.

>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world
>-Wiggly world

TOM: Man, at least the movies don't repeat like this...

>Well, I've been living in a wiggly world
>-Wiggly world
>Well, I've been living in a wiggly, wiggly world!

CROW: Mike, can I have a wiggly world?
MIKE: Not until you're older.

>BLOCKHEAD

TOM: Head like a block, all right.
MIKE: No, more like brain like a block...

>[music starts]

CROW: What is this? 11/8?
TOM: Gaah.

>Never leaves a gap

CROW: Help! Help! I'm trapped in the Gap!

>Unfilled

TOM: Unleaded.
MIKE: Uneducated.
CROW: Uninspired.

>Always pays on time

MIKE: Well, they say time is money, so I guess it's ok to pay in time.

>Always fits the bill

CROW: With what? Clothing?
TOM: You know, gas bills look really cute when you put sweaters on 'em.

>He comes well prepared

MIKE: Does he have earplugs on?

>Cube top

CROW: Wait a minute! He's wearing a *tube top*? Eeew.
TOM: I'd have stuck with the sweater.
MIKE: Gee, if you're stuck in the Gap, at least buy something decent.
CROW: Don't forget, this band wears yellow plastic from head to toe.

>Squared off

TOM: Like a chopping block?

>Eight corners

CROW: Hm. Needs trimming.

>90-degree angles

MIKE: At least he's a good cube.

>Flat top

TOM: Isn't that a Dick Tracy bad guy?
CROW: (young Ned Flanders) I'm Dick Tracy! Take that, Pruneface! Now I'm
Pruneface! Take that, Dick Tracy! Now I'm Prune Tracy! Take that...
MIKE: Crow!
CROW: Hehe...

>Stares straight ahead

MIKE: (hypnotized voice) Devo... melting brain... can't concentrate... must...
stare into space...

>Stock parts

CROW: Yup! We've got all your parts stocked at Devo's Auto Parts!

>Blockhead

MIKE: Gee, last album he was a mongoloid.
CROW: What is it with this band?
TOM: I think they're jealous.

>Never tips over

TOM: Uh-oh. He took so much LSD that he thinks he's a glass of orange juice. If
he tips over, he'll break and spill.
CROW: What?
MIKE: I heard that actually happened to somebody.

>Stands up on his own

CROW: Well, lookit that! He's bipedal.
TOM: Good li'l rugrat, ain't he?

>He is a blockhead

MIKE: We're blockheads all...

>Thinking man full grown

CROW: ..sniff... seems like just yesterday he was learning to stand up... they
grow so fast...

>He comes well prepared

TOM: Dandruff shampoo?
MIKE: Check.
TOM: Pencil sharpener?
MIKE: Check.
TOM: Nose hair trimmer?
MIKE: Uh... check...

>Cube top

CROW: C'mon, do a sphere...

>Squared off

TOM: Why 'squared off'?
MIKE: I suppose it'd be hard to be 'triangled off'.

>Eight corners

TOM: It's a Magic 8-Block!
>90-degree angles

CROW: Now do an acute angle...

>Flat top

MIKE: No room for a brain.

>Stares straight ahead

TOM: ...shiny, shiny headlights...

>Snake eyes

CROW: Isn't he from G.I. Joe?

>Blockhead

MIKE: Well, they remembered the song title...

>[guitar solo]

TOM: Where's Hendrix when you need him?
MIKE: Hendrix? Where's Hinckley when you need him?
CROW: I think he's a few albums later.

>Flat top

CROW: They're singing this again?
TOM: Wow, two drownouts in a row.

>Stares straight ahead
>Stock parts

TOM: Stock parts, or ignore your inventory. It don't matter, it's all the same!
Right? RIGHT?
MIKE: Uh-oh...

>Blockhead

CROW: La la la...

>Never tips over
>Stands up on his own

TOM: Must... keep... proper... equilibrium...

>He is a blockhead

CROW: That he is.
MIKE: I want the mongoloid back.
TOM: You just want the mongoloid women.
MIKE: Stop that.

>Thinking man full grown

ALL: (humming something else)

>He comes well prepared
>Cube top
>-Blockhead

CROW: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

>Squared off
>-Blockhead

TOM: I bet the backup singers wrote this part.
CROW: They should write more of this. That way, I could fall asleep properly.

>Eight corners
>-Blockhead

CROW: Tom... if I don't survive this awful, awful, tape, I want you to... to...
TOM: Eat you?
CROW: No! To paint my tombstone purple.
TOM: Oh. Ok.
MIKE: Actually, Crow, I already sold you to Brake-O.
CROW: Damn. Well, as long as it's not Devo's Auto Parts.

>90-degree angles

MIKE: Hey, the background singers forgot!
CROW: Woo-hoo!

>Flat top
>-Blockhead

CROW: D'oh!

>Stares straight ahead
>-Blockhead
>Snake eyes
>-Blockhead

MIKE: I wonder if he'd be a good paperweight.

>Blockhead
>-Blockhead

TOM: Echo?

>Cube top
>-Blockhead

CROW: (singing along) Steak fries!

>Squared off
>-Blockhead

CROW: Free drinks!

>Eight corners
>-Blockhead

CROW: Bad breath!

>90-degree angles

CROW: Ma... oops.

>Flat top
>-Blockhead

CROW: Scalp itch!

>Stares straight ahead
>-Blockhead

CROW: Tight pants!

>Snake eyes
>-Blockhead

CROW: Bug bites!

>Blockhead
>-Blockhead

CROW: Strobe light!
TOM: Well, that was gruesome.

>STRANGE PURSUIT

MIKE: It's at strange as strange can be, y'know.

>Intersecting love lines

CROW: Form alternate interior love angles.
TOM: Who dubbed this the geometry album?
MIKE: Just as long as we don't have to do proofs.

>Drew us closer every day

MIKE: Aren't you supposed to use 1-800-COLLECT for that?
CROW: Who would accept a collect call from Devo?
TOM: Toni Basil.

>Always kept your distance

CROW: Those radioactive suits kinda make people think there's a problem,
y'know.

>When you felt my presence near you

TOM: You don't ever want to bump into Devo while walking down the sidewalk.

>Love keeps on rolling over

CROW: Yeah, and Love also hogs the blankets.

>You'd fly in retreat

TOM: Three tickets to Anywhere That Devo Is Not, please.

>I would follow without shame

CROW: Or dignity.
TOM: Or sanity.
MIKE: Or talent.

>A stupid spud staggering to the flame

TOM: Spud? Hehe...
CROW: Burn, Devo! Burn!
TOM: Are you ok, Crow?
MIKE: Is he ever?

>To be had and rehad

MIKE: And thrice had again.

>An innocent victim of the pain

MIKE: Now he knows how *I* feel.
TOM: I like that line.
CROW: Except for the 'innocent' part.

>Now it's strange, it's so strange

MIKE: How bizarre.

>-It's a strange pursuit

CROW: Why? Why are they on every song?

>-It's a strange pursuit

MIKE: Deep into the center of the planet Venus.

>-It's a strange pursuit

TOM: It's an AK-47, and it's the last thing you'll ever see.
MIKE: Play nice, Tom.

>I come running like the fat boy in lead shoes

CROW: Feel free to fall into any given river.

>Like the fat boy I'm huff puffing after you

CROW: Oh, this is so romantic.
MIKE: Big sweaty guys. A popular theme in love poetry.

>It's hopeless to hope for

TOM: A quick, painless death?

>The one thing that I'm wanting

CROW: A fan base?

>'Cause it's strange, it's very strange

MIKE: It's beyond strange at this point.

>-It's a strange pursuit

TOM: It's another Wes Craven flick.

>Darling I'm dazzled

CROW: (movie star voice) Oh darling, how daaaaaaazzling.

>But you know I'm too frazzled

MIKE: That's some mighty bold usage of the letter 'z' there, pal.

>-It's a strange pursuit

TOM: It's the background singers from Hell.
CROW: I think Devo just went karaoke and hired bums off the street.

>I've taken my mind apart

MIKE: A mind is a terrible thing to take apart.
TOM: Ah, they wouldn't miss it.

>And lost some of the pieces

CROW: Yeah, you gotta put all the pieces in the hubcap, then when you
reassemble it they'll be easy to find.

>-It's a strange pursuit

TOM: (groaning) It's torture that won't end.

>It never gets tough
>When you're gettin' real rough

MIKE: I wish they'd stop singing this stuff.
CROW: It's already way more than enough.
TOM: Ugh.

>-It's a strange pursuit
>Darling I'm dazzled

MIKE: This rancid piece of crap passing itself off as music is brought to you
by the letter "Z".
CROW: (Elmo voice) Elmo no like Devo.

>But you know I'm too frazzled

TOM: Oh, stop whining, you little pansy.
CROW: And gimme back my cocoa.

>-It's a strange pursuit
>I've taken my mind apart

TOM: Into eight pieces, each one guarded by one of Dr. Wily's powerful robot
creations!

>And lost some of the pieces

MIKE: I found this under the couch. Is it part of your brain?

>-It's a strange pursuit

CROW: It's over!
TOM: That was a lesson in how *not* to do filler...

---
End Part 1