ancient torture techniques

Steve Brinich

Dec 31, 1993, 12:08:18 PM12/31/93
SCENE: Satellite of Love. Tom Servo is polishing a glass globe that
looks just like his own head.

Crow: Whatya doing?
Tom: I'm just.... polishing up a fishbowl. I thought it'd look good
here by the hexscreen (he moves over to the hexscreen and
places the bowl, opening up, just under the hexscreen).
What do you think?
Crow: I think that's silly. First of all, there's no place to put a
fishbowl there. Besides which, we don't have any fish here
to put in a bowl.

(Mike enters from stage right)

Mike: Are you two arguing again?

(Light flashes to indicate an incoming call from the Mads)

Mike: Never mind; let's see what they want this time. (taps button)

SCENE: Deep 13. Dr. Forrester is holding a cheap-looking mask resembling
his own face.

Dr. F: Hello, Matt.
Mike: That's 'Mike'.
Dr. F: Whatever. Anyway, it's time for your Invention Exchange, unless
you need more time to set it up and want me to go first--
Mike: Well, actually no--
Dr. F: OK, I'll go first. Of course, a mad scientist in my position has
his share of enemies, and some of them are a bit too tough to
be beaten off directly. The next best thing is misdirection:
getting them to vent their frustrations on something more...
what's the word... 'expendable'. (Turns toward stage left)
Oh, Frank!

(Frank enters from stage left)

Dr. F: I need you to model this (hands Frank the mask)

(Frank puts on Dr. F mask)

Dr. F: As you can see, the perfect decoy to cover my escape if things
ever get too hot to handle. And now, your turn.

(Mike holds a telephone with several types of bells, horns, and other
noisemakers attached to it.)

Mike: You're finished, then?
Dr. F: That's what I just _said_.
Frank: How long do I have to wear this?
Dr. F: (To Frank) Until I tell you to stop! (To Mike) Well??
Mike: We all know about Caller ID, but it has one big problem: you don't
see the caller's ID until you get close enough to read that little
display window. My invention is a Caller ID Ringer that lets
you know whether the call is worth picking up without even having
to get out of the bathtub.

(Cash register bell rings)

Mike: See, that tells you it's one of those calls from somebody asking
you for money.

(Bugle call of 'Reveille' sounds)

Mike: That tells you it's an Army recruiter calling.

(Foghorn sounds)

Mike: That means it's your boss on the line.

(Poofter pops out of phone, with sound)

Mike: That means a call on the party line.

Dr. F: Yes, yes, I'm sure you've got a million of them, but that's all
the time we have for the Invention Exchange. Now, for your
experiment, I have a special treat. (grins evilly) You remember
L. Detweiler, alias R. Boxx, alias about a dozen other names
I can't be bothered to keep track of?

Crow: I have a bad feeling about this....

Dr. F: Well, we have a rare treat: a post from him under his very own
name (as far as we know). Boy, are you in for some deep
hurting this time!

(Movie alarm goes off)

6....5....4....3....2....1....G

>talk.politics.crypto #1834 (1 + 6 more) | |-<1>
>Newsgroups: talk.politics.crypto,alt.privacy, | |-<1>
>+ comp.org.eff.talk | \-[2]--[2]
>From: ld23...@keller.lance.colostate.edu (L. |-<1>
>+ Detweiler) |-<1>
>[2] ancient torture techniques \-<1>
>Date: Fri Dec 31 04:07:35 EST 1993

(Mike and Crow enter theater)

Mike: Where's Tom Servo?

>Geoff Dale (pl...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: > Congratulations! If you repeat anything frequently enough,
>: > people begin to believe it.

Crow: Repeat?? Isn't once bad enough?

>: That seems to be your strategy. It doesn't work when you so consistantly
>: undermine your credability with rants, tho.
>: So stop posting and this little bit of net.history will soon be forgotten.

(Tom Servo enters theater)

Crow: What took you so long?
Tom: I had to finish with the... fishbowl.

> Hello world, I am not proud of everything I have posted `out there' lately,

Crow: And you have so much to be not proud about!

>but I am even less proud of the ugly depths and grotesque deformities

Tom: Of my terrible secret past.

>I have seen in certain black corners of the Internet lately

Crow: Hey! That's "African-American corners of the Internet"!

> and the
>apalling complacency with which you all view it. The skeletons
>have not only fallen out the the closet,

Mike: They had a falling out, and outed each other, and are now out of
the closet.

> they have danced around us and
>punched us all in the face.

Crow: (Muhammad Ali voice) Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

> My own letters on the subject are an attempt to
>shock you from your silent complacency and `accessorizing'.

Tom: With out lovely line of spring accessories for 1994.

> What happens when trust breaks down?

Crow: (German accent) It decayz into a migzture of Uranium 235 and
Plutonium 238. Very hazzardousz zubsztanzes.

> What happens when people respond
>to their own posts?

Tom: They're schizo?
Mike: Maybe they're just absent-minded.

> When they misattribute writing?

Crow: OK, so they're absent-minded AND schizo.

> When they don't care
>who is behind email addresses,

Tom: Schizo, absent-minded, and now apathetic.
Mike: This is getting hard to keep track of.

> or deceive others about them?

Crow: Schizo, absent-minded, apathetic, and dishonest....
Mike: Is somebody writing this down?
Crow: Hey, you're the only one here with fully functional arms!
Mike: (takes notepad and pencil from a pocket)

> When they
>post multiple messages from different addresses?

Crow: As we come full circle back to schizo.

> Imagine that every one of my posts came from a different address.

Tom: Not hard in this guy's case.

>What is to prevent me? My honesty? My integrity?

All: NAAAAAH!

> What if I am a
>cyberanarchist?

Mike: (jotting something on a notepad) How do you spell that?
Tom & Crow: (turn to look at Mike)
Mike: (tosses notebook and pencil into the air)

> Would I be horrified or delighted at these embezzlements
>of trust?

Tom: He doesn't know how he'd react to his own actions?
Crow: Jeez, enough already with the "schizo"?

> By the squirming and writhing of my victims underneath my
>crushing onslaught?

Mike: Hey! I didn't think the Mads were sending us that kind of movies!

* * *

> I was reading a book about ancient torture techniques.

Tom: Like these posts.

> (Actually, it was
>about something else, but some paragraphs on the subject crept in from
>obvious relevance.)

Mike: Obvious to _you_, maybe.

> The Roman soldiers had invented some of the most grisly torture and execution
>techniques the world has ever seen, perhaps the most humiliating and heinous
>punishments known to man.

Crow: Throw Sandy Frank to the Romans!
Tom: Lippert, too!

> One that I was reading about was called
>`Circle of Eight'.

Crow: (pirate voice) Arrrgh, mateys! I have a sack of doubloons and Circles
of Eight.
Mike: I think that's PIECES of Eight.
Crow: Whatever.

> A blindfolded prisoner stands as Roman soldiers
>(enthusiastic volunteers?) circle him and take turns punching him in the
>face.

Mike: I think his verb tenses are about two thousand years off.

> They take the blindfold off, and ask him, who hit you?

Tom: The guy with the brass knuckles?

> And if the
>prisoner fails to name the person, the game continues, they dance in their
>delight, circling at a faster, more dizzying rate, and pummel harder.

Tom: On the other hand, if he _does_ correctly name the person, he wins
a new 94 B.C. chariot and a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni.

>What is the point of all this?

Mike: I was hoping you'd tell _us_!

> I don't have a major point,

Crow: Imagine my surprise.

> except to
>suggest that this is one of the most evil abominations of humanity I can
>imagine. And that it is shockingly identical to the mentality that a
>cyberanarchist has in hammering others with his fake email identity
>arsenals.

Tom: You can send an arsenal through email?
Crow: What will they think of next?

>Medusa is delighted to punch the blindfolded victim in the face with
>her dizzying circle of tentacles.

Tom: Punched with a circle of tentacles??

> Guess who it is!

Crow: You already _said_ it was Medusa! The tentacles are a dead giveaway.

> Ooops, you're wrong,
>sorry.

Crow: _I'm_ wrong?? I'm just going by what you just said!

> PUNCH. What? No, N.Szabo is a real person. PUNCH. Pseudospoofing
>is immoral? nah. PUNCH. N.Szabo is my roommate. PUNCH. Lies are
>liberating. PUNCH. cypherpunks have never pseudospoofed. PUNCH.
>especially the leaders. PUNCH. and everything in the media is true.
>PUNCH. especially what we say. PUNCH. and our leaders are the
>greatest of all. PUNCH.

Tom: Stop it! The pain! The pain!

>See the blood dripping on the ground, see the hideous disfigurement of
>the victim's face.

Tom: (head explodes)
(Mike and Crow exit hastily, Mike carrying Tom)

SCENE: Satellite of Love. Mike places Tom on a table and begins
looking around frantically.

Mike: Crow! Quick! Help me find a spare head for Tom Servo! We don't
have much time!
Crow: (exits stage left)

(A second Tom Servo enters from stage right)

Mike: Tom Servo! Quick! Help me find a spare head for Tom Servo!

(Mike stops and does a double-take)

Mike: What?!? But you're there (points to Tom Servo on table) with your
head blown apart from illogic overload or something....
Tom: (chuckles) Oh, that! That's just one of the alter egos I use
when I need a break from the Mads' experiments.

(Light flashes to indicate an incoming call from the Mads)

Tom: Quick! Get that out of here! I don't want them to find out....

(Mike pushes the remains of the other Tom Servo out of sight under the
table.)

SCENE: Deep 13. Frank is still wearing the Dr. Forrester mask. Dr. F
is wearing an equally cheesy-looking Frank mask.

Frank: Well?

Mike: Frank? Are you still wearing that silly mask?

(Dr. F rips off his own mask, then Frank's. Frank clutches his nose,
which was pinched by Dr. F's grab).

Dr. F: Oh, stop whining and push the button!

(Frank keeps both hands on his nose and fumbles for the button with his
elbows, hitting it after several tries).

\ | / Mystery Sceince Theater 3000 and associated characters
\ | / are the property of Best Brains, Inc. and used here for
\|/ satirical purposes only.
----O----
/|\ This post is not meant as a personal attack upon
/ | \ the original author (but rather as an impersonal
/ | \ attack upon his ideas and level of logical argument).

randy_antler

Dec 31, 1993, 11:13:55 PM12/31/93
In article <2g1ma2$h...@access.digex.net> ste...@access.digex.net (Steve
Brinich) writes:
: SCENE: Satellite of Love. Tom Servo is polishing a glass globe that

:looks just like his own head.

lots of really funny material deleted :(

: \ | / Mystery Sceince Theater 3000 and associated

characters
: \ | / are the property of Best Brains, Inc. and used
here for
: \|/ satirical purposes only.
: /|\ This post is not meant as a personal attack upon
: / | \ the original author (but rather as an impersonal
: / | \ attack upon his ideas and level of logical
argument).

That was _really_ funny!

At first I was going to write that net.personalities like L.Detweiler make
me wonder why I bother to spend so much time even reading stuff on usenet.
But after reading your "rebuttal" I was rewarded with a humorous treatise.
I was LOL many times. Keep up the good work!