MSTed: Agent Action!

Stephen Will Tanner

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

[A MiSTing of the Agent Action! ad that was crossposted all over
the alt.* hierarchy about...3 weeks ago. Dang, I'm slow...]

[Satellite of Love. Mike is relaxing. The bots are reading from
a terminal and nodding appreciatively]

CROW: Hey, Mike, want to join our little circle?
SERVO: Yeah, savor the best things in life while you can.
MIKE: What's all this about?
CROW: net.kooks!
SERVO: Yeah, you can't beat 'em for entertainment value!
MIKE: Well...
CROW: Here, just sample a little of this.
MIKE: [reads, mumbling] Hello Folks, here is some more information
about the guys from Sirius... mmm...mmm-hmm. [looks up] Wow, that's
really...something.
CROW: Vintage John_-_Winston!
SERVO: And sample a little of this.
MIKE: [skims it] Hmm... a distinct nutty aftertaste.
SERVO: Robert McElwaine's trademark!
MIKE: Uh-oh, Yogi the Telepathic Dog is calling.

[Pearl's minivan]
PEARL: Okay kids, ready for another dose of pure spamming satisfaction?

[S.O.L.]
MIKE: Can't I just read deranged rantings from the loons of yesteryear?
SERVO: Yeah, here's a real good one. From September 1993, a very
good year.

[Minivan]
Pearl: Ha ha! You wish. This is an ad for a piece of drek so sexist it'd
make Clarence Thomas look like Gloria Steinem. Posted by bad
actor, bad director, and bad grammarian William Blair. It's called
AGENT ACTION! And I think it'll sting.

[S.O.L.]
SERVO: [lurching at the terminal] Read this bit, here.
MIKE: RE-ORBIT the sexy psychic plants to create born-again p-adics?
Oh no, we've got USENET SIGN!

.
.
.
.
.
> From: ag...@action.com

SERVO: action.com, the ISP with kung-fu grip!
MIKE: You and your kung-fu grip jokes...

> Newsgroups: alt.fan.hello-kitty
> Subject: ****AGENT ACTION!***

CROW: [Starts tipping over to the left]
SERVO: Uh-oh. Here: *
CROW: Thanks!

> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 02:00:16

MIKE: 218 lines about 536 women.
CROW: Yeah, that's if Trent Reznor was Hugh Hefner.
SERVO: Trent Reznor IS Hugh Hefner IS Agent Action!

> 1
> ** "CLONING" MOVIE MAY PROVOKE THEATER RIOTS! **

CROW: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO "CLONE" MOVIE. YOU SHOULD JUST "SIT" QUIETLY
WHILE "WATCHING" MOVIE.
SERVO: Do not yell "clone!" in a crowded theater.
MIKE: Do not yell "theater!" in a crowded fire.

> Anticipation is so high

SERVO: No, Bill, *you* are high.

> for the new sci-fi action movie AGENT
> ACTION! that international theater owners are worried. Some feel
> their venues may be the magnet for riots. One of the movies main
> themes is human cloning.

CROW: [playing dumb] Wow, that's interesting. The FIRST time this was
posted, it didn't mention cloning at all.
SERVO: [Imitating William Blair] Text search...replace all occurrences
of "lasers" with "cloning"...Crosspost to hell and back...

> With cloning as a red-hot topic and the movies anticipated big budget
> look with gorgeous nude US playmates, the number of moviegoers is
> predicted to be record breaking!

MIKE: Remedial wood shop teachers across the nation face the lowest
attendance in weeks!

> AGENT ACTION! is reported to be a sci-fi flick in the secret agent
> "Bond" Style. It sports exotic locations, impressive cinematography,
> and the aforementioned naked, big-breasted actresses.

SERVO: Hey pal, if you'd mentioned big breasts, I woulda NOTICED!
MIKE: Yeah!

>(Including Erika Olsen
> / Playboy
> Mar 97) The movie stars and is directed by charismatic and multi
> talented new leading man William Blair.

SERVO: Who isn't me. Really.

> It features celebrity guest villains and
> co-stars the
> talented Jerry Lee Kmiec.

SERVO: Oh, is the great Jerry Lee Kermit going to...
CROW: [interrupts] That's K-miec.
MIKE: Maniac?
SERVO: ENIAC.
MIKE: Epicak.
SERVO: Jimmy Smits.

> AGENT ACTION! is currently in the middle of a heated bidding war
> by international distributors.

MIKE: [French accent] YOU take eet!
SERVO: [German accent] Nein, YOU must take it!

>The winner may have more than just an ordinary hit on
> its hands.

SERVO: Did we mention naked women?

> It may have the milestone catalyst of an international event.

CROW: Yeah, and...huh?

CROW: My God, it's full of Perths.

> 2
>
> OSCAR PICK FAVE FOR 97 ? AGENT ACTION!

SERVO: New Super Bleach, with Agent Action.

> Talk for the next Oscars has already started. And the news is
>overwhelming for one film: AGENT ACTION!

CROW: Now I know Oscar the Grouch likes trash, but I don't think
he likes trashy MOVIES, as such.

> What "ACTION" seems to have is what the current Oscar picks lacked:
>both great directing, great acting, and great writing all in one.

MIKE: [sarcastic] That is both cool, awesome, and far out.

>And the lions credit is aimed at one man;

SERVO: And the credit is aimed at one man's loins;

>multi -talented star and director William Blair.l

SERVO: Who, I reiterate, is not me.

> Insiders are predicting Blair may receive the most multiple Oscar
>wins ever: As best actor, best director, and best writer.

MIKE: Don't you mean, "BOTH best actor, best director, and best writer?"

>What's more: as producer and special
>effects director of photography consultant: he might also nab the best
>picture Oscar and cinematography Oscars, too! Can Blair and AGENT
>ACTION! pull off this unprecedented feat?

MIKE: Will the Swiss navy conquer the world?
SERVO: Can the Amiga become the #1 OS by 1998?
CROW: Will Satan be skiing to work?

> It would certainly be a day for the all time record books. Of
>course this is just speculation at this point. One thing is certain,
>though, 1997 is the year for moviegoers to enjoy AGENT ACTION!

SERVO: Ask for it at the video store in 1998 and they'll say: AGENT WHO?

CROW: No more asterisks?

>3
>
> CAN AGENT ACTION! CRUSH SCHWARZENEGGER?

SERVO: Well, yes and no.
CROW: Huh?
SERVO: I mean yes, we'll can Agent action, and no, we won't crush
Schwarzenegger.
CROW: Ahh.

> One fact seems clear: William Blair is the world's hot new action
>star! Not only that, he appears to be a World-Class director as well.

MIKE: Two words, Will: Decrease dosage.

>It is this multi-talent
>capability- and freshness- that has Schwarzeneger and Stallone scared -

CROW: Freshness?
MIKE: Remember that freshness goes better!
SERVO: Arnold Schwarzeneger...is...The Freshmaker!

>yes, the
>world seems to be saying, replace these old fogies with new talent!

SERVO: The voices in my head also seem to be saying, hit them in the
dressing room with a pipe.

> William Blair, and AGENT ACTION! seem to be the cure for the
>movie goers
>case of tired old action star Blues! Arnold / Sly - next stop is the
>old folks rest home
> for you!

SERVO: Yes, the voices seem to be saying, slip live ammo into their prop
guns...
MIKE: Tom, that's just TOO dark.

> We're William Blair fans now! Long live # 1 action star William
>Blair! - AGENT
>ACTION!

CROW: Sieg HOOTERS! Sieg HOOTERS! Sieg HOOTERS!

>///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>///////////////////////////

SERVO: Man o man, I wish those were Traskmobile tracks.

>4
>
> SEX, NUDITY, AND AGENT ACTION!
>
> For the many curious to see big breasted naked actresses

CROW: I take back every bad thing I said about this movie!
SERVO: Woo woo woo woo!
MIKE: Um, guys...

>in AGENT ACTION!,-
>there is good news.

CROW: Big gazongas!

>A preview/trailer

SERVO: Whatever you call them things.

>is now reportedly in the cutting stages.
> This minute and a half of selected scenes should wet the palate

SERVO: ...and the pants...

>of the curious.

CROW: Massive mammaries!

> AGENT ACTION!, a "Bond" type thriller set in the near future, is
>highly anticipated.

CROW: Golden bozos!
SERVO: Crow!
MIKE: Do you need a time out, Crow?
CROW: [sniffles] I'll be good.

>It reportedly features the aforementioned Big breasted actresses (
>including Erika Olsen/ Playboy Mar 97 ) among several other ravishing
>beauties.

SERVO: Want attention? Use breasts.
MIKE: A message from the National Breast Council.

> The movie is said to star and be directed by multi talented new
>leading man William Blair.

SERVO: Who, let me mention again, is not me.

>Celebrity guest villains round out the colorful cast.
> The movie apparently also features lush exotic locations from
>around the world.

MIKE: Including the rock quarry down the street, and my uncle's garage!

>Excellent cinematography and a tight nit thriller story round out this

MIKE: Whoa! Don't speed-read the middle part of that line, guys.

>highly anticipated production.
> This is probably the most anticipated movie on the planet today.

CROW: The anticipation for the highly anticipated production is very high.

>And the thought of a trailer - possibly soon downloadable on the net - is
>fantastic.

SERVO: I used my new NetScape plugin to download the thought of a trailer!

>But hurry please!

SERVO: [agitated] Ok! Ok! [confused] What am I doing?
MIKE: [agitated] I don't know, just DO IT FAST!

>The wait is almost more than curious movie buffs can bear!
>

>****************** ///////////////////////////
>************************* ///////////////

SERVO: Bill, you should really choose ONE annoying paragraph separator
and stick with it. Asterisks and slashes just don't mix.

>5
>
> JAPANESE "ABREAST" OF AGENT ACTION!

SERVO: [deep voice] I MADE A FUNNY!

> Tokyo.

SERVO: Saigon.

> If there's one group of moviegoers clamoring to see AGENT
> ACTION! -
> It's the Japanese. They certainly have a yen
> for big breasted naked

MIKE: ...Robots!

> blondes - and
> AGENT ACTION! will supply that - and more!
>
> Nippon theater owners apparently are in a rare fight to obtain
>the first prints of AGENT ACTION! It is said to be the most anticipated
>movie in the Orient.

CROW: Except for the new Jackie Chan movie.
SERVO: And the new Hello Kitty film.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>6
>
> WHY DOES AGENT ACTION FEATURE NUDE BREASTS?

ALL: Because Will is one obsessed puppy.

> 'Cause Secret Agents love them!

MIKE: Superspies come runnin' for the great taste of porn!

>How could Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or
> Pierce Brosnan battle villains without a little jiggle?

CROW: [voice of Sean Connery from Goldfinger] Oh, Pussy...

> And the same goes for new Agent
> extraordinaire William Blair - AGENT ACTION!
>

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MIKE: Uh-oh. The asterisks and slashes have cross-bred to produce
a bunch of plus signs.

>7
>
> RUSH - FOR WORLD WIDE RELEASE

MIKE: Is that their new album? "For World Wide Release"?
SERVO: No, that's what Bill wrote on the package containing the
video tape of Agent Action.
CROW: And then he got arrested for sending a bomb in the mail!

> IS AGENT ACTION! THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE?
> Film fans, critics, and cinephiles the world over are engaged in a
>heated debate.

SERVO: [shocked voice] STUFFING INSTEAD OF POTATOES!?
CROW: Less filling!
MIKE: Macintosh forever!

> Is the new Sci-fi action film AGENT ACTION! the greatest movie ever
>made?

MIKE: We heard you the first time you asked!
CROW: Is the new Sci-fi-action-"Bond"-type-thriller-Agent-Action!-starring
new-leading-man-William-Blair-highly-anticipated-big-breasts-bidding
war-international-distributors-Olsen-Playboy...<gasp for air>
...even FINISHED yet?

> Opposition is fierce. Names such as Welles, Kubrick, Scorsese,
>Spielberg, and Oliver Stone are of course getting huge support.
> Movies such as Citizen Kane, 2001, Goodfellas, ET, and Platoon are
>being heralded as the all time champs.
>
> And yet, the new found furor won't subside.

SERVO: Ich bin der new-found fuhrer, und ich will not subside!

>AGENT ACTION! now has its own legions of rising vocal fans.

CROW: We thank both of you!

>And its star/ director William Blair is

MIKE: Starving for attention, apparently.

>receiving the lion's share of the credit.
> Can this new group of fans, of a movie not yet even released be
> right? Can the few purportedly bootlegged copies of an advance rough
>cut be enough proof?
>Is AGENT ACTION! such a highly commendable piece of celluloid?

SERVO: Will Ant Man save Lucy from the Dynamite Twins?
CROW: Will the narrator stop using so damn many rhetorical questions?

> History be damned these new fans seem to be saying. Forget the
>work of the "old fogies", William Blair

ALL: [tired voice] Who isn't me.

>Is the brilliant purveyor of cinema's
>future!
>
> And AGENT ACTION! is proof - at 24 frames per living color
>second!

MIKE: All paragraph dividers are equal.
SERVO: But some are more equal than others.
CROW: And some girls' mothers are more equal than other girls' mothers.

>8

MIKE: Eight...eight...I forget what eight was for...

> SEX, ROMANCE, AND AGENT ACTION - WILLIAM BLAIR!
>
> Girls, Good News - William Blair is single! Yes the 6 ft, 185 lb.
>leading man is available! And if his blue eyes don't get you - his
>charming and suave manner will!

CROW: Was there ever a more pitiful plea for sexual attention?

>Check him out in AGENT ACTION! Then in his exciting new upcoming feature
>THE RIDE!
>
>((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
>(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

SERVO: Oh, so the rest of the article is SO parenthetical it's practically
non-existent.
CROW: This would cause so many LISP errors it's not even funny.

>9
>
> WAR! - BIDDING BATTLE BREWING

SERVO: Bigger bosoms better!
MIKE: Beowulf battles big beasts!

> Major movie distributors are sharpening their pens.

CROW: [Grinding whining noises]
SERVO: Mr. Johnson--no, Mr. Johnson, only pencils go in the sharpener.
Mr. Johnson...

> Agents and Lawyers are taking sides. Telephone faxes are arming for
>duty.

MIKE: Arm faxes! Calibrate pagers! Copiers on stun! Turbines to
speed!

> Why? For the bloody battle over the international distribution
>rights to AGENT ACTION!
>
> The movie world landscape is now upside down. How? Witness ancient
>releases like Star Wars now doing first run BlockBuster business. Plus
>expensive new releases are bombing.

SERVO: As are cheap no-name releases like Agent Action!

>With this confusion its a new war out there. And formerly
>defended movie turf is up for grabs!
>
> Which studio army can capture the anticipated blockbuster AGENT
>ACTION!?
>
> Will it be a major battaliion force like UNIVERSAL? Of can a rising
>guierrila army like Miramax or Gramercy capture the goods?

SERVO: I can't take it, guys...I've got to close those parentheses!
Here goes...))))))))))))))
CROW: Wow.
SERVO: ))))))))))))))))))))))) [pant gasp]
MIKE: Hang in there...
SERVO: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))! Phew!

> No one can predict the battle's outcome yet. But one victor is
>certain: the Audience. The World Audience - millions of popcorn and
>action loving troops who will be the happy victors as they embrace
>viewing AGENT ACTION!

SERVO: Millions of happy people embracing?
CROW: Sounds like PR for the 1960's.

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SERVO: Next jewelry item: a 54-carat line, embedded in spam!

>10
>
> WILLIAM BLAIR - TRUE INDEPENDENT - NOT SUNDANCE ASS- KISSER
>
> While most Independent filmmakers nowadays are just shameless ass
>kissers - of Sundance "god" Robert Redford, William Blair stands alone.

CROW: No one will play with William Blair. But William Blair is
not discouraged. William Blair is running for president.

> The so called Independent movie movement is sickening.
>Independent -
>Independent of what?

SERVO: In your case, Will, independent of any redeeming human value.

> Most of these films are undisguised "auditions" for studio jobs.
>And the cast lists of these movies look exactly like their Studio
>cousins: Tori Spelling for godsakes!

SERVO: Tori Spelling for godsakes!
MIKE: Shannon Daughery for Mayor!
CROW: Shoes for industry!

> And most of these butt-kiss directors need to start living a
>life - rather than patterning these grotesque homages to angst populated
>by the ever tiring Steve
>Buscemi ( Whoever said this guy could act? )

CROW: You got your ennui in my weltschmerz!
SERVO: You got your weltschmertz in my ennui!

> The real barfola however, is how the "intelligensia" and
>"psuedo hip" are

SERVO: ...surrounded by quote marks.

>pronouncing Oscar kudos on these lightweight nothing movies.
>
> Lets face if folks: Ransom was a much better film than Fargo.
>Wake up you morons.

SERVO: Don't flatter your audience, Bill.

>Can anyone even sit through Fargo twice without
>falling into a deep coma.

CROW: Oh, I sure did love dat Fargo flick. Dat was a good one.
SERVO: Oh, yah, and I sure do love dem Packers.

> And last years Spitfire Grill - what a joke that was!

MIKE: PLEEZ SEND NOOD ONDER WATER SPITFIR GRILS!

>It had all the thrills and
>technique of a bad TV movie of the week!
>
> Is there hope? Damn tootin!
> And my vote for movie of the year is AGENT ACTION!

CROW: Well, that'll put it one vote above "Jungle to Jungle".

> It cuts the sprocket holes
>off those "independent" lemming-ized ass-kisser movies .
>
>///////////////////////////////////////////////
>////////////////////////////////
.
.
.
.
.

SERVO: Why? Why must we endure this?
MIKE: What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime...
CROW: Uh, guys? I can explain.
SERVO: Really?
CROW: Yes. Look at this chart.

[pulls out this chart:]
COST OF MUCH-NEEDED [] COST OF
PSYCHIATRIC HELP [] INTERNET ACCOUNT
[]
50 bazillion dollars [] $20/month

MIKE: I see. This might explain...
SERVO: START to explain.
MIKE: This might start to explain...
SERVO: ATTEMPT to explain.
MIKE: This might start to attempt to explain the madness
that is William Blair.
Servo: Maybe.
CROW: Pretty spiffy chart, huh?

[Minivan]
PEARL: Sorry guys, I'd love to stay and chat, but I saw a great ad on
the personals channel. Seems he's a 5'10'' actor, director, and
producer, with enchanting blue eyes--he's coming over to pick me up,
so I'm just going to leave the van on cruise control until it's
time for this week's experiment, ok?

[Satellite of Love]
MIKE: Well, I really think...
SERVO: [hits Mike] Shhh!
MIKE: Oof! [to Servo] What? What?

[Minivan]
PEARL: Bye, guys. I'm off to spend an exciting evening with...Agent
Action! [fixes her lipstick, and pushes the button]

--
Stephen Tanner (tan...@math.wisc.edu)
IS AGENT ACTION! THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE?

Whitney Anne Fitzgerald

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

On 16 Apr 1997 18:19:26 GMT, tan...@math.wisc.edu (Stephen Will
Tanner) wrote:

[snippage of post]

I shouldn't have tried to read this at work...it's hard to maintain an
air of professionality when coffee's coming out of your nose....

Whitney (wishing she'd seen the original Agent Action! post)
Whitney Anne Valentine Fitzgerald
MSTie #2136
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHUNK"
-- Crow T. Robot, "The Mole People"

Maciej Jeremiah Smuga-Otto

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

Stephen Will Tanner (tan...@math.wisc.edu) wrote:
: IS AGENT ACTION! THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE?

THIS
SENTENCE! DOES IT
NOT INCLUDE AN
EXCLAMATION MARK?

The above was a french-canadian free verse kibaiku. If you ROT-13 it,
you'll get the same thing, but ROT-13ned. Obscure, pointfree, downright
suicidally depressing.

Just the way Greatland likes 'em.
--
Maciek,