MSTed: Stephen Ratliff's "A Royal Mess", Part Two (3/7)

Mighty Jack

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
[Theater]

[Mike and the bots enter the theater.]

Mike: You know, if you guys keep this kind of behavior up, Pearl's
going to send us a home safety short.
Bots: We'll be good.

[They sit down.]

>Chapter Seven

Tom: Or is it... Chapter L, but upside down?
Mike: With a special guest apearance by Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt.

> The search was not going well later that day when Admiral and
>Lieutenant Picard brought Queen Victoria to the bridge. "Status of search
>Mister Worf?" Admiral Picard inquired.

Crow: (as Worf) We're still going through a thousand screens of porn site
lists, sir.
Tom: (as Picard) I hate WebCrawler.

> "Of the areas the Enterprise can scan, we have found no reliable
>traces of the Trakce," Worf said. "However, their are several areas we
>cannot scan due to interference caused by mineral deposits nearby."

Mike: The hair ribbon detector canna take much more of this, Captain!

> "Where are those areas?" the Queen inquired.

Crow: Learn the difference between good touches and bad touches.

> "Perhaps I can
>narrow the areas down a little."

Tom: Well, that's rather painful to do.

> "Put a map on screen, Mister Worf," Admiral Picard ordered.

Mike: (as Worf) All I could find was a Denny's place mat map of the USA.
Sorry, sir.

> A map of Essex appeared on the main view screen. Several areas
>were boxed in, near various mountain ranges.

Crow: Hey, I know that area. That's Nondescript Valley in the Vague
Mountains, just over the border from Generica.

> "If I were them I'd want to be near the Capital," Lieutenant
>Picard said. "Center on Londonderry, and about a 100 mile radius."

Tom: Actually, after the bombings, the Capital is scattered over a
450 mile radius.

> The map changed and only one of the boxed areas remained in
>view. The mountain range arched from about two thirds of the way down
>the screens left edge to the Ocean Atlantis. Inside the arch a large

Mike: ... clown named Ronald McDonald stood, merrily hawking his burgers
to all and sundry. One day he... oh, wait. There's just one arch.
Never mind.

>forest stood. In the midst of the forest stood a lone house.

Tom: It was made of gingerbread. The Trakce had built it in the hopes of
luring Marrissa there.
Crow: Their plan was foiled by a pair of pudgy German children.

> The mountain
>range was about 50 miles from Londonderry and had peaks up to 9000 feet
>in height.

Crow: It was an unseasonably warm day. There was a breeze from the
southwest at about ten miles per hour, and the relative humidity
was--would you just GET ON WITH IT already?

> "That house would be the best place for them to be," the Queen
>said.

Tom: ('Hood' voice) Regicidal assassins in da house!

> "Why?" Marrissa inquired. "It's barely inside the unscannable
>area."

Mike: Maybe it has cable.
Crow: I hope that they get that Comedy channel there. I love that show
with the obscene colorforms.

> "It's the Royal Hunting Lodge," Queen Victoria replied. "Since
>the Royal Palace is gone, it is the only Royal residence left on the planet."
> "Then we attack there," Worf stated.

Tom: (as Worf) Or we attack Londonderry. Or Risa. Hell, just give me
something to attack, and I'll attack it.

> "Perhaps we should be a little more subtle," Marrissa
>interrupted.

Mike: (as Marrissa) Bad Worf! Sit! Heel!

> "After all, they probably have a ship some where and their
>ships are nearly as fast as ours. Unfortunately for them, they aren't as
>well armed."

Crow: (as Marrissa) That gives us the moral right to dispose of them as we
see fit!

> "I take it that you have a plan?" the Admiral asked.

Tom: (as Marrissa) Geordi, get me 20,000 gallons of strawberry juice.
We'll flood them out!

> "Don't I always?" Marrissa replied.

Mike: I take it this plan is automatically going to work no matter how
transparent and silly it is?
Crow: Don't they always?

> Into the observation lounge walked Admiral Picard, Commander
>Riker, Lieutenant Commander Worf, and Lieutenant Marrissia Picard. The
>Admiral sat at the head of the table. Commander Riker took the seat to his
>right and Worf, the left.

Crow: At the shoulders of the table.

> Marrissa took the seat next to Commander Riker.

Crow: At the endocrine system of the table.
Mike: Got to hand it to Ratliff, he has the "constant conferences" aspect
of Next Generation down pat!
Tom: So here's the revised seating chart, then:

Laughing Goddess
Boy Marrissa
________________________
[ ]
Shiny [ ]
[________________________]

Ridge-
Head

Crow: How do you *do* that?

>"Now what exactly is your plan?" Marrissa's father asked.

Tom: (as Marrissa) You mean you don't know either?!
Mike: (as Marrissa) I intend to activate my divine powers.

> "It's quite simple," Marrissa said. "Myself, Queen Victoria,
>and Acting Ensign Sutter

Crow: (as Marrissa) ... will build a giant badger and hide inside it
while Sir Lancelot and Galahad...
Tom: Wrong story, Crow.
Mike: A better story, though.

> beam down outside the hunting lodge with three
>securtity officers. If the enemy, whether it be Trakce or Romulan attack,

Tom: (as Marrissa) Then they'll suffer my almighty wrath! Bwahahahaha!!!!

>the Queen and the security officers beam up to the Enterprise and Clara and
>I surrender. They will probably take us to their headquarters.

Mike: (as Marrissa) If they put us in the brig, we'll eat our way out.

> Commander
>Worf will track us and when we stop moving send a team down to rescue us and
>take care of the enemy.

Crow: Hey, describe Riker.

> Simple and quite easy."

Tom: Hey, that's cheating!

> "I don't think so, Marrissa,"

Mike: I prefer to think la, Marrissa; or even ti, Marrissa. But then I
have a music degree and I'm not afraid to use it.

> Admiral Picard said. "First of
>all your plan involves the possible taking of three of the top four members
>of the Essex Royal Family. Second, how do you know that they won't kill you?"

Tom: (as Riker, whispering) Sir, isn't that our plan to deal with our...
"royal" problem?

> "Because it takes those three is why it works, Dad,"

Crow: I think Marrissa took three before the meeting.

>Marrissa replied. "In order to make the visit look possible we need someone
>who knows the lodge to show us around. We also need a young royal for them
>to take hostage who has a better claim than Martin Sussex.

Tom: (as Marrissa) Oh, did I mention, it's absolutely essential that we
dress as clowns?

> Two of us will
>increase the chance of sucess in case my well known resistance convinces the
>enemy I won't cooperate.

Mike: (as Marrissa) The genius here is that Clara is only mortal!

> As for knowing that they won't kill me, I don't but

Crow: (as Marrissa) ... I remember that "death" on Star Trek lasts maybe
three weeks.

>this is the only plan I can find that won't involve security tipping our hand
>by beginning a acre by acre search. I'm sure that we don't have enough
>personnel to do such a thing anyway."
> "We don't," Worf interjected.

Tom: (as Worf) Furthermore, more than half our our security teams are
currently engaged in pursuing a gerbil that escaped from Mrs.
Hagemeyer's first-grade class this morning.

> "However, I still don't see how
>we are going to keep track of you and Clara."

Tom: (as Marrissa) Er, radar?

> "Commander Riker could you help me with this boot," Marrissa
>asked, bending down.

Mike: Ack! Please tell me that this is the only incident we're ever going
to see of Riker undressing Marrissa.
Bots: Mike!

> After a moment they had Marrissa's right boot off. She
>twisted off the heal of her size 4 boot.

Crow: It's not going to heal if you keep twisting at it!
Tom: (as Marrissa) Here's a little trick I learned in boot camp....
[Mike thwacks Tom in the back of the head.]

> "You will note the extra powerful
>communicator and listening devices."

Tom: Ah, Stephen got the "Best of 'Get Smart'" videotape for Christmas.
Crow: *Extra powerful* communicator and listening devices! Now with baking
soda!

> "Are you sure they won't take away your boots?" Riker asked.

Crow: Romulans have a moral code against taking footwear in the
Ratliffverse. It shows up again in "Unto the Next Generation".
Tom: You remember these things?
Crow: I've asked Mike to disconnect my memory module, but no....

> "With that kind of terrain, Commander?" Marrissa said. "They'd
>have to be very foolish.

Mike: So... like your typical Ratliff villain then?
Tom: Oh, sure. I can see how it'd be foolish to take away footgear that
would, um, make it possible for their... prisoners... to... escape.
(starts sobbing) Oh, Mike, it hurts...
Mike: Be brave, little toaster.

> You grew up in Alaska, Commander. You of all people
>should know the value of a good pair of boots."
> "She does have a point, Admiral," Riker replied.

Crow: (as Riker) Nothing in life is more valuable than comfortable footwear.

> "I don't have
>a better plan."

Tom: And whoever is surprised, raise your hand.

> "Neither do I," Lieutenant Commander Worf concured. "What's in
>the other boot?"

Mike: (as Marrissa) Both my feet. I had to put them somewhere.

> "A miniature phaser," Marrissa replied. "You will note that when
>the boot is scanned nothing can be detected.

Crow: (as Marrissa) I got the idea from those terrorists who skyjacked
Denebian Air Lines flight 2038 last month!

> So, Admiral, does my plan get
>the go ahead?"

Tom: The tension mounts... *will* Admiral "Rubber Stamp" Picard approve
yet another hare-brained scheme of Marrissa's?

> "All right, Marrissa, your plan gets the go ahead, if you can
>convince both the Queen and Clara to volunteer," Jean-Luc Picard intoned.

Mike: (as Marrissa) Oh, Victoria! Clara! Certain death! Interested?

>"However, I will hold you personally responsible if this plan results in
>any deaths."

Crow: (as Picard) You will be *so* grounded. And no desserts this time
either!

> "Trust me, Dad, I have no urge to retire from Starfleet before I
>turn 14," Marrissa replied.

Tom: I was starting to think that was the mandatory retirement age.

[Commercials: Another sneak preview of a movie you'll see here by Season
Twelve. Maybe. FIGHT THE POWER!]

>Chapter Eight

Tom: Or is it... Chapter 8, but upside... hold on.

> It had been hard,

Crow: I'm just going to leave that one alone.

> but Marrissa had convinced the command crew

Mike: ... to let her stay out past curfew.

>and the necessary people to carry out her plan.

Tom: Previously, on Stephen Ratliff.

> Now all she had to was
>beam down and hope they took the bait. In addition to the Queen and
>Clara, three security officers where accompanying her down. Marrissa
>wasn't sure about the officers, but you can't have everything.

Mike: That's a first for Marrissa.

> It was a
>good team but Lieutenant Lockard may have not appreciated that last joke
>during the drill.

Crow: Nor the pranks and shenanigans during the band saw.

> "Listen Gentlemen," Marrissa began. "This is a most usual
>mission.

Tom: (as Marrissa) So you redshirts are going to die, and I'm going to
save the day all by my lonesome again.

> As a full Lieutenant, I will be commanding this away team.

Mike: (as Marrissa) So no giggling!

>Normally that means you would be protecting me.

Tom: (as Marrissa) But I have my Praetorian guard to take care of that.

> However this mission as
>I said is different, instead you will be letting me be captured. Your
>number one priority is to protect the Queen. If you do not do your job,

Crow: (as Marrissa) ... Gary Kasparov will throw another hissy fit.

>there is a Prince in Engineering who will be Prince Regent until, my and
>Clara's fate is determined, who will roast you.

Tom: (as Marrissa) Oh, and it'll mean you allowed the forces of evil to
take over this planet.

> You have a problem
>Lieutenant Lockard?"
> "Yes sir," Lockard replied.
> "And what would that be?" Marrissa asked.

Mike: (as Ross) You're *twelve*!

> "I don't see the purpose of the mission," Lockard replied.

Crow: *snort* Join the club.
Tom: Heck, we've been saying this for, what? 26 stories now?

> "First of all, as your Commanding Officer, I don't have to give
>you a reason," Marrissa replied sweetly.

Mike: (as Nelson the bully) *Ha* ha!

> "However, I will be nice this
>once. We are trying to smoke out the people responsible for the deaths of
>the Royal Family of Essex and the House of Parliament.

Crow: (as Marrissa) They're killing the rulers and giving us all lung
cancer!

> Therefore the Queen,
>and a couple other Princesses are the bait. Your job is to see that they
>only take the Princesses."
> "I don't see any Princesses," Ross Lockard replied.

Tom: (as Ross) All I see are koopas and giant blocks.

> "Look again, Ross, and next time you address me off duty try
>Your Royal Highness instead of Risa," Marrissa responded. "It might prevent
>you from getting strawberry juice in your nice brown hair again."

All: [laugh weakly]
Mike: Ah, the incomparable early Ratliff humor.
Crow: Thank you, Stephen Ratliff, for making us not quite laugh at love
again.

> "You are one of the Princesses?" Ross exclaimed.

Tom: (as Ross) I have no problem with letting *you* get captured!
Let's go!

> "Yes, Lieutenant," Marrissa deadpanned. "Now get on the
>platform, we've got a mission to do.

Mike: (as Marrissa) We must build a wall across all England!

> Phasers on stun. Energize."
>
> Queen Victoria, Princesses Marrissa and Clara, Lieutenant
>Lockard and Ensigns Henderson and Diral materialized about a quarter of a
>mile from the hunting lodge on the road to the Royal Hunting Lodge.

Crow: Once again, in case you missed it... the hunting lodge.

> "So
>Victoria, do you get a lot of use out of this Lodge?" Marrissa asked.

Mike: (as Victoria) Nah. It doesn't fetch, it doesn't roll over, heck, it
doesn't do much of anything.

> "Not really," Queen Victoria replied. "I only use it to escape
>from the Press, during some of the Royal events."
> "Royal Events?" Clara asked.

Tom: Royal Red Alert, Royal Static Warp Bubble, Royal Engage Shuttlecraft
Operations....
Mike: Tom, put away the pretty cards and come join us for a little while,
okay?

> "Opening of Parliament, Monarch's birthday, Heir's birthday,
>Birth of new member of the family, coming of age of member of the family,"
>Victoria recited.

Crow: So she only uses it 337 days of the year.

> "By the way Marrissa, when is your birthday?"
> "July 26," Marrissa said as they came up on the Hunting Lodge.

Tom: Ooh, July 26th, that's the anniversary of the establishment of the
Post Office by the Second Continental Congress in 1775.
Mike: Thank you.
Tom: Also the 1907 launch of the U.S. Navy's "Chester," the world's
first turbine-propelled vessel.
Mike: That's... fascinating. Thank you.
Tom: And the start of filming, in 1984, of episodes of "Punky Brewster."
Mike: More than enough, Tom.
Tom: And the launch of Apollo 15 in 1971.
Mike: I'm not letting you log on to the History Channel web site anymore.
Crow: (writing) July 26...
Mike: Crow?
Crow: Well, Mike, we need to send her a card. It's the polite thing to do.

>"Keep your eyes open," she whispered.
> As soon as they entered the clearing a green bolt hit a nearby
>tree.

Tom: Oh no! Not the elm tree! Why do the good always have to *die*?!
Waaahhh!!!

> "Get the Queen out of here," Marrissa said drawing her phaser.
>"Clara and I will cover."

Mike: Marrissa's going to throw a blanket on Ross' head.

> "Lieutenant Lockard to Enterprise, four to beam up."
> As the four dematerialized, Romulans poured out of the house.

Crow: The Romulans are made of liquid metal?

>As they surrounded Marrissa and Clara, they dropped their phasers.

Tom: ... thus making it even more easy than usual for Marrissa to win the
day.
Mike: I think he meant Marrissa and Clara dropped their phasers. Maybe.
Hey, Steve! How about an antecedent or two more in there, huh?

> "So
>the birds have come home to roost," the Romulan Commander said. "Search them,
>leave their communicators on the ground, then tie their hands
>and take them to Headquarters."

Crow: (as the Romulan) Right. That's search Headquarters, tie their
communicators to their hands, and leave them on the ground. No,
wait... it's tie them to Headquarters, and then--look, I'll come in
again.

> On the Bridge of the Enterprise-E, Worf announced, "The Romulans
>have taken the bait. Communicator signals are diverging."

Tom: (as Worf) Also, Mrs. Hagemeyer reports two gerbils and a hamster are
now missing. My teams are responding.

> "Inform me when they stop moving," Admiral Picard said. "I'll
>be in my ready room." He got up and walked into his ready room.

Mike: That's what I like in a commander. He does just what he says that
he's going to do.

> "I do not think the Captain appreciates Marrissa's bold plan,"

Crow: (as muffled Picard) I heard that! Fifty lashes for all of you!

>Worf commented after the door to the ready room closed.
> "He appreciates it all right," Commander Riker responded. "But,
>he wishes Marrissa didn't have to go into danger to execute it."
> "I do not understand," Worf replied.

Tom: Get your own Klingon Rock-em Sock-em Security Chief! Emotional
life sold separately.

> "Perhaps, I can explain," Counselor Troi said. "The Captain,
>loves his adopted daughter.

Crow: (as Troi) And before you ask, I'm not sure why either.

> He would prefer, like most parents, to see that
>no harm comes to her." Worf shook his head indicating that he still did
>not understand.

Mike: "Worf" must be Klingon for "bag of hammers".

> "Worf, would you let Alexander do a similar mission?"

Crow: (as Worf) Sure! Why I'd do anything to get Mr. "I don't wanna be a
warrior!" out of my life!

> "I see your point Counselor."
>
> Meanwhile in the Holodeck of the starship Independence, Jay
>Gordon and his Kid's crew were enjoying command. "Sirek, how is the search
>going?" Jay Gordon asked his Vulcan Security officer.

Tom: (as Sirek) No good--we still can't find the Virtual Valerie program.
I'll keep looking in Riker's files....

> "We have about 14 of the 30 hostile confined," he replied.

Mike: (as Sirek) And 27 of the 40 Easter eggs too!

> "Carry on, Patrick, current course and speed?" Jay inquired.

Crow: We interrupt this program to announce that Ratliff has spelled
"course" correctly. We now return to our fanfic.
Tom: Well, he does succeed in that *occasionally*...

> "Course is 121 mark 5, speed is warp 4,

Mike: Barometer is falling and a high pressure system is moving in from
Canada.

> which is fast as I can
>risk going and still follow the hostile warp signature," the CONN officer
>said.

Crow: (as Patrick) And as fast as we can lay bread crumbs so we can find
our way back.

> "Brian, what is on that heading," Jay asked his OPS officer.
> "The Federation Member Planet Essex," the red haired boy
>replied.
> "What starships are nearby?" Jay asked.

Tom: (as Brian) The Battlestar Galactica, the White Star, the Millenium
Falcon, a Dahak Class Planetoid, and the Heart of Gold, sir.
Mike: (as Jay) Dear God... it's a crossover! We must be in a fanfic!
Helm! Get us as far away from here as possible! Now!

> "The Enterprise-E is in orbit of Essex," Brian replied.

Crow: As opposed to the Enterprise D, which is currently an expensive giant
plow, and the Enterprise F, which does not yet exist.

> "Her
>current mission is to investigate the destruction of their Royal Palace
>and House of Parliament."
> "I think we may have something for Captain Picard,"

Tom: (as Jay) How's that toupee coming?

> Jay said.
>"Tira, did you get around to identifying the warp traces?"

Crow: (as Tira) Yes, sir. They seem to be warp traces.

> "Yes, Jay," the Bajoran Chief Engineer and Second Officer said.
>"They are Trakce warp signatures, modified to work with a Romulan cloaking
>device."

Crow: However, they foolishly left their right turn blinker on.
Tom: Starboard?
Crow: Right.

> "Sirek, compare the unknown life forms with Trakce life signs,"
>Jay ordered.
> "Identity confirmed," Sirek said. "Why didn't the computer
>identify them on its own?"

Mike: We needed some excuse for suspense.

> "The program probably needs updating,"

Crow: Once again in a Ratliff fanfic, better tech support would save the
day.
Tom: Well, Ratliff is a computer lab assistant.
Mike: So?
Tom: Well, one of our authors can empathize with that.

> Jay said. "Open a
>channel to the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E."

Tom: I guess he mentioned the call numbers to avoid confusion with all
the other starship Enterprises in this story.

> "Channel Open," Sibek replied.

Crow: So why didn't they call for help instead of pretending to be real
officers days ago?

> The bridge of the Enterprise
>appeared on screen. Commander Riker was sitting in the command chair.
>Counselor Troi was next to him. Above him stood Worf. Ensign Katherine
>Szustakowski and Data occupied the forward stations of CONN and OPS,
>respectively.

Tom: So, to sum up, the bridge of the Enterprise appeared on screen.

> "Jay, what a surprise, why are you in command of the
>Independence again?" Commander Riker asked.

Mike: (as Riker) Don't they keep catching you and putting you back in bed?

> "A combined force of Romulans and Trakce took over the ship, a
>couple days ago," Jay said. "As usual I was on the Holodeck

Crow: (as Jay) ... using video games to sublimate my desire for true
affection.

> and took
>command after they imprisoned the adult crew. We've been following their
>ship ever since.

Tom: So... there's either a bunch of stupid aliens who haven't noticed
that the ship isn't under their control or there's a bunch of stupid
Kid's Crew members who haven't figured out how to look out the door.

> It seems to have been on a direct course to Essex."
> "Jay get here as soon as you can," Commander Riker said. "I
>have a feeling we will need the Independence.

Mike: (as Riker) We'll also need that hostile force you're bringing.

> Do you need any help?"

Crow: (as Jay) I could use a tutor for history. We're covering the
Philippine Insurrection and I just don't get it.

> "When I arrive I'll need some one to help to uncouple life support

Tom: Yeah, that's one thing you can do to solve your little invasion
problem. A trifle extreme, though.

>and intruder controls from several doors and forcefields," Jay said.

Mike: (as Jay) Our feats of sabotage pretty much wiped out everybody who
wasn't killed by the invaders.

> "They
>locked up the adults pretty good. I think we can restrain our intruders
>from the Holodeck though. We already have 14 of the 30.

Crow: (as Jay) Well, okay, *they* passed out after having the commissary's
"mystery spaghetti," but they're still out of action.

> Patrick,
>increase speed to warp 10,

Tom: (as Jay) Unless that's impossible again this week.

> and give me a revised ETA."
> "Two hours three minutes," the helmsmen replied.

Mike: The two hours is so they can turn into lizards and mate with each
other.

> "I assume you heard that?" Jay asked.
> "Yes, Admiral Picard will expect you then," Riker responded.

Crow: (as Riker) You will be allowed to have Cap'n Crunch, and eat it out
of the blue bowl when you arrive.

> "Admiral, huh, I see someone decided to answer my question," Jay
>commented.
> "You were the little bird at Admiral Necheyev's ear?" Riker
>asked.

Tom: (as Jay) Yeah, it was a nasty transporter accident with Yakky Doodle,
but we got it all straightened out.

> "Yes, but Marrissa was the bug in mine," Jay responded.

Mike: (as Jay) She threatened to lay her eggs in my brain if I didn't
get her dad a promotion. It was creepy.

>"Independence out."

Crow: Mike, the imagery here is not helping me.
Mike: Let's take a break.

[They get up and exit the theater.]

[Commercials.]

[Continued in Part 4]