Sick of Gypsy

Kathryn M Jones

Apr 12, 1994, 11:59:28 PM4/12/94
While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time
she comes onscreen? So the Brains are a bunch of guys and they don't know how
to write a good female character--just don't include one! She's humorless,
gullible, in fact she's stupid. Yeah, yeah, she supposedly runs all the higher
functions of the satellite, but I bet that would include serving up grub, if
we had to worry about how the guys eat and drink. The time she came out beating
on a lyre, proclaiming herself the Hellistic (I think it should be Hellenic)
ideal was a personal low point for me. It was at that point that my husband
accepted that I wasn't just imagining things; that she was in fact just a
patsy. I suppose every good comedy needs a straight man/woman, but this is
ridiculous. It would be entirely in character if they were to get rid of her
by having her decide she has a future as a Can-can star on a French space
station. I personally would love to see her tie a little pin-striped bonnet
on her head and shoot herself out the airlock.

Kathryn Jones

John W. Kupec

Apr 13, 1994, 1:09:46 AM4/13/94

I must _strongly_ disagree! Gypsy is multifaceted. Naive, yet sophisticated.
Intelligent, yet retarded. Gypsy must be sniffed like a fine cognac,
as you delicately warm her with the body heat from your moist palms.
She has nuances. She's nobody's fool. Let her entertain you. Let
her make you smile. The Gypstress grows on you like a melanoma- but
a _good_ melanoma.

Time for a sammich...
--

John Kupec (ku...@agouron.com)
Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Erin Cash

Apr 13, 1994, 1:36:55 AM4/13/94

>I personally would love to see her tie a little pin-striped bonnet
>on her head and shoot herself out the airlock.

Whoa, time to switch to decaf. Personally, I really like Gypsy.
I don't think she's stupid. She's just very specialized. All her
brain power is being used on higher functions so her social skills
aren't what they could be. That's all part of her charm though as
far as I'm concerned. I don't know how the Brains keep from laughing
every time Jim Mallon does that voice.

--
__ . ------------------------------
|_ \ "Rodents of unusual size? \

Charlie Ray

Apr 13, 1994, 11:15:45 AM4/13/94
In article 19...@midway.uchicago.edu, km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes;
<stuff deleted>

>It was at that point that my husband accepted that I wasn't just imagining things;
>that she was in fact just a patsy.
<more stuff deleted>

>Kathryn Jones

I don't think you should call Gypsy a patsy since she does stand up for herself.
Remember the caricaturist skit at the beginning of The Magic Sword when Gypsy
tells Joel to bite her? She also acts as a protector for the other 'bots. In one of
the first couple of Mike episodes Gypsy reminds Mike that she can take him.
I certainly understand your point of view though. You might try what I do to easy my conscience - think of Gypsy as the Lenny of the SOL; big and kind-hearted, but kind
of slow.

Charlie

P.S. For all of you punsters out there (you know who you are) that would be Lenny
from "Of Mice and Men" not Lenny from "Laverne and Shirley".

Pat Gomes

Apr 13, 1994, 11:28:00 AM4/13/94
In article <agf.35....@asc.upenn.edu>,
Geoff Falen <a...@asc.upenn.edu> wrote:

>I don't necessarily agree with having Gypsy shoot herself out the airlock, but
>I do agree that her character is not as well done as Tom and Crow. And while
>we're on the subject of that voice---more than once I've felt that Jim Mallon
>should sacrifice some effect for increased CLARITY. Maybe I'd think Gypsy was
>a better character if I could understand more of what she says. It's not
>always a big problem, but sometimes I just can't understand what she's saying.
>Especially if I'm out of tapes and can't run the skit back several times.
>Frustrating.

Well, I guess the same could be said of Donald Duck, Geoff, but I think
in both cases it would be detrimental to the characters to change their
voices. It would take away some of their persona.

Gypsy's voice is a very nice voice.

over and out,
Pat Gomes

William December Starr

Apr 13, 1994, 12:44:07 PM4/13/94

"Stay alive! Whatever happens, stay alive!"
[Usually delivered in a Richard Burton/Harris-like voice...]

Geoff Falen

Apr 13, 1994, 6:23:17 AM4/13/94

Erin Cash writes:
> Whoa, time to switch to decaf. Personally, I really like Gypsy.
>I don't think she's stupid. She's just very specialized. All her
>brain power is being used on higher functions so her social skills
>aren't what they could be. That's all part of her charm though as
>far as I'm concerned. I don't know how the Brains keep from laughing
>every time Jim Mallon does that voice.

I don't necessarily agree with having Gypsy shoot herself out the airlock, but

I do agree that her character is not as well done as Tom and Crow. And while
we're on the subject of that voice---more than once I've felt that Jim Mallon
should sacrifice some effect for increased CLARITY. Maybe I'd think Gypsy was
a better character if I could understand more of what she says. It's not
always a big problem, but sometimes I just can't understand what she's saying.
Especially if I'm out of tapes and can't run the skit back several times.
Frustrating.

Geoff Falen
Annenberg School, U of PA
a...@asc.upenn.edu

larson erik howard

Apr 13, 1994, 2:07:42 PM4/13/94
wds...@world.std.com (William December Starr) writes:

>"Stay alive! Whatever happens, stay alive!"

"Stay alive no matter what occurs...I will find you!"

was in the motion picture (or at least the commercial for the motion
picture) of _The_Last_of_the_Mohicans_.

>[Usually delivered in a Richard Burton/Harris-like voice...]

It was shouted by Daniel Day Lewis in the film.

--Erik Larson

Jon P LeVitre

Apr 13, 1994, 3:20:43 PM4/13/94
dkra...@crl.com (Daniel J. Kraemer) writes:
>William December Starr (wds...@world.std.com) wrote:
>: "Stay alive! Whatever happens, stay alive!"

>: [Usually delivered in a Richard Burton/Harris-like voice...]
>"Stay alive! Whatever may occur, I *WILL* find you!"

>Daniel Day Lewis' charcter says it to the woman he's in love with (Madeline
>Stowe) as she's about to be captured by indians, and he's escaping
>by running away into the forest...

I don't want to be too picky (ok, maybe I do :), but he wasn't
running into the forest, he was about to jump out of cave into/through
a waterfall.

jonl

Craig Schafer

Apr 13, 1994, 4:42:42 PM4/13/94

How can you say that about my beloved Gypsey???? I think she is absolutely
the glue that holds the crew together. What with her innocent demeaner,
her loveable teenage-ish crush on Richard Basehart, not to mention the fact
that she does have the enormous responsibility for running the higher
functions of the SOL. (Take a look. That's right. Take a long hard stare.)
So please don't bash her! She can't help it if she was designed that way!

--
Craig Schafer ek...@cleveland.freenet.edu

"It was then that I realized that I was born of two
father's...Elias and Megaweapon"

Robert Ware Middleton

Apr 13, 1994, 5:41:22 PM4/13/94
I just have to write in to say that I LOVE GYPSY. Not just admire, but
LOVE. She adds a non-cynical, non-wisecracking element to the show. She
does have her priciples, though, as I think she proved in her one-woman
show, "Gypsy!" She lovely, lovable, and easily the most even tempered
character on the show. Not only has she the most responsibilities
(whatever those might be), Not only did she save Joel (the only one smart
enough to have pulled it off, I might add), ad nauseum, but she also
seems to be the only one looking for depth of character. Remember the 'I
don't get you sketch'?? Whilst Crow & ye Tom Servo are simply jokesters,
Gyps is searching for higher ground in her interpersonal relations.
>>>Anyway, maybe you think my praise has gone to far (especially for a
baby carseat with a flash-light on the top of it!)...my point is, it's
all in how you interpret it. If you want to see Gypsy as an insult to
women, being the only female character (and voiced by a man, no less),
then I guess you can. But personally I feel that Gypsy and Magic Voice
are clearly the most stable personas on the SOL.

I guess that's a little more than my 2 cents. maybe even a dime's worth.
robM p.s. my first letter to mst3k info included a song declaring my
ardent love for Gypsy (set to the tune of Gilligan's Island)

Marissa Westerfield

Apr 13, 1994, 8:47:03 PM4/13/94
km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:

>While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time
>she comes onscreen? ... She's humorless, gullible, in fact she's stupid...

>The time she came out beating on a lyre, proclaiming herself the Hellistic
>(I think it should be Hellenic) ideal was a personal low point for me...

>I personally would love to see her tie a little pin-striped bonnet
>on her head and shoot herself out the airlock.

Ouch! I must make a few points in Gypsy's defense:
First of all, she is NOT humorless. There was that great joke she played
on Joel and the 'bots that one time when she, ah, she, um...ok, I can't
remember anything offhand, but I'm sure something will come to me! And she's
DEFINITELY not stupid, even though she does tend to perseverate on single
words or phrases during what should otherwise be normal discourse. Who
else could have come up with her "cheating" essay? Terse, but brilliant.
Even if you do not see those same sterling qualities in her that I do,
there is no way she should win a "least favorite character" contest. THAT
award should go to Cambot. No offense to the little guy, but there's just
not much personality there.
I gotta admit, your reaction sounds a lot like that of my SO's--his
main response to Gypsy's every appearance is "Gypsy sucks." I hope, though,
that I am not the only person who would be saddened by Gypsy's disappearance
from the show.

Gypsy puts the "love" in the SOL!

Mcc...@fwva.saic.com

Apr 13, 1994, 9:02:53 PM4/13/94
km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:
>While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time
>she comes onscreen?

I hope so! Gypsy is a saint! She is the voice of reason! Long live Gypsy!
I'd rather listen to Gypsy talk all day than, say ... Kathy Ireland!

Maggie McCann
mcc...@fwva.saic.com
"Will xerox body parts for Maker's Mark"

CMAlberts

Apr 14, 1994, 12:02:03 AM4/14/94
In article <Co7IH...@world.std.com>, wds...@world.std.com (William December
Starr) writes:

The line is, I think, from the most recent big-screen version of 'Last of the
Mohicans', where it is delivered by Daniel Day-Lewis to Madeline Stowe. Let
others correct me if I'm dead wrong, but I think I'm right. Which piece of
bot-fodder is this found in and where.

The full line: "Stay alive. Whatever happens, stay alive. I _will_ find you."

--Colin

john nevins

Apr 14, 1994, 8:26:52 AM4/14/94
exu...@exu.ericsson.se (Charlie Ray) writes:

>Charlie

Of course Gypsy can take Mike. What about that skit (I can't place the
episode, alas) where Joel is playing a _nasty_ version of
Rock-Paper-Scissors with Tom & Crow, and Gypsy hurtles in from the side,
bowls Joel over, and screams "Gymkata!"

As for not being bright, that's selective viewing on your part. Me, I
like Gypsy a whole lot. Is she single?

Basho
"Oh Doctor Forrester..." "DON'T YOU DO IT! DON'T YOU DO IT!!!"

Harlan Freilicher

Apr 14, 1994, 10:59:35 AM4/14/94
In article <2ohlg2$p...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> ek...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
(Craig Schafer) writes:

>How can you say that about my beloved Gypsey???? I think she is absolutely
>the glue that holds the crew together.

Actually, all things considered, the glue that holds *most* of the crew on
the SOL together is probably Elmer's.

| Harlan Freilicher | " " |
| har...@acpub.duke.edu | -Cambot |

Pebbles

Apr 14, 1994, 12:43:29 PM4/14/94

Craig Schafer <ek...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu> wrote:

>How can you say that about my beloved Gypsey???? I think she is absolutely
>the glue that holds the crew together. What with her innocent demeaner,
>her loveable teenage-ish crush on Richard Basehart, not to mention the fact
>that she does have the enormous responsibility for running the higher
>functions of the SOL. (Take a look. That's right. Take a long hard stare.)
>So please don't bash her! She can't help it if she was designed that way!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who loves Gypsy the best.
She's so cute! She's so nice. She's so clueless - god bless
her. My favorite skits are the Gypsy centered ones.
Needless to say, I loved the Cheating short and all of`
Mitchell. Go Gypsy!!!

Cybermuffin

M14...@mwvm.mitre.org

Apr 14, 1994, 1:28:08 PM4/14/94
>km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:
>>
>>While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time
>>she comes onscreen? ... She's humorless, gullible, in fact she's stupid...

Bring me the head of Kathryn Jones! Gypsy is my hero! I even
like Richard Basehart now! Gypsy's clearly the only one on the
SOL who has even the first clue about what's going on! Isn't
Gypsy the one who left the theatre saying: "This really isn't
a very good movie"????? In my not-so-humble opinion, I say we
could do with a lot more Gypsy, and a lot less Kathryn M Jones!!!

=======
Note for the humor-impaired-> :-)

I speak only for myself, not my employer.

Jeremy P. Frantz

Apr 15, 1994, 1:25:05 AM4/15/94

>km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:

>Who else could have come up with her "cheating" essay?
>Terse, but brilliant.

And don't forget her marvelous job in one of the "I Accuse my
Parents" skits. Are _you_ happy in your work?

JP.

Daniel J. Kraemer

Apr 15, 1994, 9:49:26 AM4/15/94
Harlan Freilicher (har...@acpub.duke.edu) wrote:
: In article <2ohlg2$p...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> ek...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu

I noticed something last night and wanted to ask if anyone else did...
During one of the skits in "Lassie: The Painted Hills" when the showed
Gypsy, I noticed that her mouth was not straight... Like, her lower lip
hung down more on the right than on the left.... Didn't know if it was
always like that or if some of the "maintenance" hadn't been done before
the show?

By the way, let me say I really enjoy Gypsy as well... Some of the
funniest moments of the host segments involve her..

--

-Dan Kraemer
dkra...@crl.com

"Secret Agent Super Dragon in a deadly game of Hungry, Hungry Hippo!"
-Crow, "SASD"

Diane Barlow Close

Apr 15, 1994, 12:32:52 PM4/15/94
John Roth <ro...@math.washington.edu> writes:
>Gypsy is indispensable. Not only is she Mom-- necessary but irrelevant to the
^^^
Gosh, I knew there was a reason why I didn't like her. No, Kathryn M.
Jones, you're not alone -- I, too, cringe everytime the trashy gypsy makes
an appearance. I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female
character on this show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)

(Yes, I know, I'm risking death by making anti-Gypsy statements among this
raving horde. :-)
--
Diane Close
cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com

Dale Abersold

Apr 15, 1994, 2:44:36 PM4/15/94
west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu (Marissa Westerfield) writes:
> Even if you do not see those same sterling qualities in her that I do,
> there is no way she should win a "least favorite character" contest. THAT
> award should go to Cambot. No offense to the little guy, but there's just
> not much personality there.

Hey, what about the nifty score ticker he put up during "Sidehackers"? And
all the times he reedited the movie for Mike/Joel and the bots during skits...

Plus, there's the hamster...

Dale Abersold "Tutto nel mondo e burla"
sl...@cc.usu.edu -Arrigo Boito

Larry Scher

Apr 16, 1994, 8:41:57 PM4/16/94

>"Stay alive! Whatever happens, stay alive!"
>[Usually delivered in a Richard Burton/Harris-like voice...]

Actually, I think (I say 'I think' so you won't flame me if I'm wrong) it's
"Stay alive! Whatever may occur, I will find you!"
which was severely overused in the ads for "The Last of the Mohicans". I
ended up seeing the movie and I thought it was incredibly boring.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely
mind-boggingly big it is..."
-HHGTG
-Spengo

Larry Scher

Apr 16, 1994, 8:43:21 PM4/16/94
>Harlan Freilicher (har...@acpub.duke.edu) wrote:
>: In article <2ohlg2$p...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> ek...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
>: (Craig Schafer) writes:
>: >
>: >How can you say that about my beloved Gypsey???? I think she is
absolutely
>: >the glue that holds the crew together.
>
>: Actually, all things considered, the glue that holds *most* of the crew
on
>: the SOL together is probably Elmer's.
>
>: --
>:
>: | Harlan Freilicher | " "
|
>: | har...@acpub.duke.edu | -Cambot
|
>:
>
>I noticed something last night and wanted to ask if anyone else did...
>During one of the skits in "Lassie: The Painted Hills" when the showed
>Gypsy, I noticed that her mouth was not straight... Like, her lower lip
>hung down more on the right than on the left.... Didn't know if it was
>always like that or if some of the "maintenance" hadn't been done before
>the show?
I noticed that too. I just let it pass, cuz there's no reason Gypsy has to
look perfect all the time. Sometimes Crow's mouth is crooked too, but I
guess that can happen when you have a mechanical mouth that gets used a lot.
-Spengo

Scott M. Fabbri

Apr 16, 1994, 10:54:00 PM4/16/94
Erin Cash <ca...@math.orst.edu> wrote:

> I don't know how the Brains keep from laughing
>every time Jim Mallon does that voice.

My one claim to MST 3K fame is that I do a passable Gypsy. It freaks
the cognoscenti out if I do it on the phone (I know they're calling
from Caller ID). The problem is, it's tough to work "That's not
Sinbad" into a conversation. . . :-)
\ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

William December Starr

Apr 16, 1994, 8:25:15 AM4/16/94

In article <2omfjk$h...@fido.asd.sgi.com>,
cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) said:

> I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female character on this
> show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)

Well make up your mind -- which do you want? :-)

-- William December Starr <wds...@world.std.com>

"I am Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."

Chris Crayton

Apr 17, 1994, 8:43:58 AM4/17/94
>> Even if you do not see those same sterling qualities in her that I
do,
>> there is no way she should win a "least favorite character" contest.
THAT
>> award should go to Cambot. No offense to the little guy, but there's

What about Magic Voice? She isn't even the same throughout all of the
episodes, and the only time that she was really funny was when she was drunk
during the last Gamera party, and the dialog she had with Servo about making
out. I would vote for her as "least favorite character."

+----------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| | cra...@delphi.com |
: Chris Crayton :--------------------------------------:
| Proud member of Team OS/2 | What do you think, Sirs? |
+----------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Susan Hamson

Apr 17, 1994, 2:33:02 PM4/17/94
km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:

>While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time

>she comes onscreen?...I personally would love to see her tie a little

>pin-striped bonnet on her head and shoot herself out the airlock.

>Kathryn Jones

What a novel idea! Actually, I can't say that I hate Gypsy, but I too
cringe when she appears on camera! I don't know why they bothered to
even write in a female character if they're going to have one so
intellectually insulting.

Yeah she does some funny things, but let's face it--the whole dynamic of
the SOL is that it's a boys' club where silly, clueless girls aren't
welcome. Her attempt at ragging on Hercules and the Captive Women is a
perfect example of this. Why didn't they give this character an
authentic female voice and some intelligence?

I LOVE Joel, Mike, Servo and Crow to death, but they would have been
better served if they just left this insulting female stereotype out of
the works from the very beginning.

-------------------------
Susan Hamson
sha...@clam.rutgers.edu

john nevins

Apr 17, 1994, 4:39:06 PM4/17/94
sha...@clam.rutgers.edu (Susan Hamson) writes:

>km...@quads.uchicago.edu (Kathryn M Jones) writes:

>>While we're on the subject of Gypsy, am I the only one who cringes every time

>I LOVE Joel, Mike, Servo and Crow to death, but they would have been

>better served if they just left this insulting female stereotype out of
>the works from the very beginning.

>Susan Hamson
>sha...@clam.rutgers.edu

I'll probably get flamed for this, but....

"repeat to yourself it's just a show/I should really just relax."

Basho
"gymkata! Gypsy crushes Joel!"

terry r lenn

Apr 17, 1994, 10:42:15 PM4/17/94
wds...@world.std.com replies to cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com:

>> I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female character on this
>> show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)

> Well make up your mind -- which do you want? :-)

Oooh, ouch. Guess you're gonna be dating your hand for awhile, eh? :-)

trl

Brian K!z!K MacDonald

Apr 17, 1994, 11:13:25 PM4/17/94
Well, the "Sick of Gypsy" thread somehow triggered the idea
for THIS thread... (I kave no idea why).

But anyway, here are some of my favorite magic voice moments
from the episodes IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, GAMERA VS. GOAS,
INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN...

(******* SPOILER ALERT FOR THE ABOVE EPISODES *****************)

^L

IT CONQUERED THE WORLD had Magic Voice relay the scores on
the Star search contest that Joel and Crow attempted.

GAMERA VS. GOAS has Magic Voice (and the bots) go into some
hyperdrive-protocol-thing-whatever that forced them to imitate raspy
voiced actor legends... Magic Voice's rasp was the one that triggered
a laugh attack in me.

And of course, who can forget Magic Voice's incarnation in
INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN,.. even PAST the spoiler alert, I dare not
give away what exactly Magic Voice is.... er, I MEAN, DID.... sorry!

K!z!K

Stephen R Shaw

Apr 17, 1994, 11:59:26 PM4/17/94
Well, this particular member of the gender doesn't mind
Gypsy per se, but the occasions on which she adds much to the
MST experience are indeed rare. I do think that another funny
male character would be preferable. (Working in the architectural/
engineering profession, I'm used to the boys' club). 'Course, if
they WANT an offbeat, wacky, zany, loopy kinda female character,
I volunteer. ('Though trading CA for Michigan.... brrrrrrr!)

On the favorite "Manos" lines topic:

Joel: "How come every frame of this film looks like someone's last
known photograph?"

Any fellow MST'ers in the Bay Area interested in forming a 12-step
program, er, club?

We could start out easy and work our way up to "Fu Manchu...."

-La

p.s., still looking for bios of the "brains" and information on the
College Tour coming to Berkeley.... Mail c/o s...@crl.com Thanx

Marissa Westerfield

Apr 18, 1994, 1:12:13 AM4/18/94
While I understand the opinion of some of the posters that Gypsy is a poor
excuse for a female character, I am going to take one more shot at
rationalizing her part in the show. I have to agree that there seems to be
a disturbing trend in comedy towards restricting "real" women to unfunny
roles (I am mainly thinking of sketch comedy shows here)--thus all the funny
female characters in "SNL" are played by men in drag and the women are
relegated to the role of (ahem) straight man. And don't even get me started
on "Kids in the Hall"!

"MST3K," however, takes place in a closed environment. By that I mean there
are very few places in the context of the show where Best Brains *can* put
a new character. Gypsy isn't a real female character, after all, (my
apologies here to all the men I am about to offend) she was invented by
Joel Robinson to keep him company; and while I am sure he did the best he
could, he *is* just a guy, and so unlikely to do better than compile his
personal collection of stereotypes about women into Gypsy. Hell, if I had
to program a guy, I'm sure there are a bunch o'men out there that would not
consider my efforts flattering ("Hey, hand me the remote, wouldja?" ;-) ).

Anyway, I *would* have been very disappointed in Best Brains if the show had
called for a (human) woman character and she were either Gypsy-like, played
by Jim Mallon, or both. I do wish they'd use Mary Jo Pehl more often in
host segments tho'....

Marissa

William December Starr

Apr 18, 1994, 7:57:09 AM4/18/94

In article <Apr.17.14.33....@clam.rutgers.edu>,
sha...@clam.rutgers.edu (Susan Hamson) said:

> What a novel idea! Actually, I can't say that I hate Gypsy, but I too
> cringe when she appears on camera! I don't know why they bothered to
> even write in a female character if they're going to have one so
> intellectually insulting.
>
> Yeah she does some funny things, but let's face it--the whole dynamic
> of the SOL is that it's a boys' club where silly, clueless girls
> aren't welcome. Her attempt at ragging on Hercules and the Captive
> Women is a perfect example of this. Why didn't they give this
> character an authentic female voice and some intelligence?

A question of fact: Back in The Time of the Beginning, when Joel, Josh,
Trace, et al. were developing and creating the show, was there anybody
on the Best Brains team who was (1) female and (2) willing and able to
do voice acting (and puppetry?) on a regular, full-time basis?

If the answer is no, a fair amount of what's complained about above can
be excused on the grounds that there was no way in hell Jim Mallon or
anybody else on the team could do that falsetto voice on an in-every-
scene basis (imagine what his throat must have been like by the time he
finished all that shrieking in "Mitchell"), so if they were going to
have a female character at all, it would have to be one with a good
excuse for only showing up in brief segments and not participating in
the riffing.

Of course, you could still argue that, faced with that choice, it would
have been less insulting to women if they'd chosen not to have a female
character at all...

William December Starr

Apr 18, 1994, 8:07:06 AM4/18/94

In article <CoFou...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
terry r lenn <tl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> said:

wds...@world.std.com replies to cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com:

>>> I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female character on this
>>> show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)
>>

>> Well make up your mind -- which do you want? :-) [wdstarr]

> Oooh, ouch. Guess you're gonna be dating your hand for awhile, eh? :-)

Look, I know it's just a Usenet posting and I should really just relax,
but... Huh??? All I was saying/implying -- in jest -- was that "decent,
intelligent" and "Tom Servo" were mutually incompatible concepts... how
does that equate with an insult to women?

john nevins

Apr 18, 1994, 8:58:07 AM4/18/94
west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu (Marissa Westerfield) writes:

>Marissa

I suppose I agree with you, but let's remember that Crow & Tom are hardly
paragons of behavior, either. The only _really_ well-rounded characters
are the humans, which is as it should be; after all, the other characters
are programmed. But, yes, it would be nice to see well-rounded female
characters once in a while...

Basho
"...tv's main cat, Franklin..."

Diane Barlow Close

Apr 18, 1994, 10:23:59 AM4/18/94
Marissa Westerfield <west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu> writes:
> [stuff deleted]

>"MST3K," however, takes place in a closed environment. By that I mean there
>are very few places in the context of the show where Best Brains *can* put
>a new character. Gypsy isn't a real female character, after all, (my

Actually I'm surprised that Mike, being the new guy on the SOL, hasn't
wanted to customize the robots or make any new ones that would provide
better company for him, personally. After all, these "friends" were
created by Joel, and Joel's idea of a friend might not be Mike's idea of a
good friend.

(And I was disappointed that they sent Mike to the SOL, rather than, say,
Dr. Forrester's new FEMALE temp secretary?? How about that for a plot
twist?)

Maybe the fact that Mike is a new guy, with different wants and needs than
Joel will mean we might get a new character, created by him, on the show
sometime? Just the jealousy among the other 'bots would make it worth
it. :-)

Kate Wrightson

Apr 18, 1994, 10:37:31 AM4/18/94
Marissa Westerfield (west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu) wrote:
: rationalizing her part in the show. I have to agree that there seems to be

: a disturbing trend in comedy towards restricting "real" women to unfunny
: roles (I am mainly thinking of sketch comedy shows here)--thus all the funny
: female characters in "SNL" are played by men in drag and the women are
: relegated to the role of (ahem) straight man. And don't even get me started
: on "Kids in the Hall"!

Marissa -

I'll agree on SNL, where there is an available pool of (ostensibly) funny
women, especially Ellen Cleghorne who is WASTED, do you hear me Lorne
Michaels, WASTED. But KITH? Well, since the troupe is all-male, I don't
have a problem with all the drag. In fact, I think it's funny and well
done. If there were female Kids, I'd have a big problem, but there
aren't, so I don't.

It's all Lorne's fault, anyway. :)

Kate

terry r lenn

Apr 18, 1994, 11:00:45 AM4/18/94
Concerning a recent humorous exchange with D. B. Close, wds...@world.std.com
(William December Starr) asks:

DBC> I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female character on this
DBC> show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)

WDS> Well make up your mind -- which do you want? :-)

TRL> Oooh, ouch. Guess you're gonna be dating your hand for awhile, eh? :-)

WDS> Look, I know it's just a Usenet posting and I should really just relax,
WDS> but... Huh??? All I was saying/implying -- in jest -- was that "decent,
WDS> intelligent" and "Tom Servo" were mutually incompatible concepts... how
WDS> does that equate with an insult to women?

Gosh, just goes to show how folks can misunderstand one another on the net.
I assumed you were kidding around because of the smiley, but it really does
read as if you're saying, "...well, make up your mind--which do you want? An
intelligent character or a female one?".

trl

"...pour yourself a cup of tea then think about the bubbles."
-Harry Nilsson

Michael Blackmore

Apr 18, 1994, 11:49:35 AM4/18/94
In article <CoGEJ...@world.std.com> wds...@world.std.com (William December Starr) writes:

I don't think that this can be considered a fair point. Since men can do a
falsetto voice in every scene no problem. One of the most famous female
puppet voices (or should I say muppet) was Miss Piggy and she was voiced by
a man. As were many of the "female" muppets. Why they chose to do Gypsy as
they did, I don't know? But I doubt that not being able to do a falsetto
voice for a long period of time is one of the reasons.

- Michael B.
mich...@ksgrsch.harvard.edu

Diane Barlow Close

Apr 18, 1994, 12:27:04 PM4/18/94
terry r lenn <tl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>Concerning a recent humorous exchange with D. B. Close, wds...@world.std.com
>(William December Starr) asks:
>
> DBC> I really wish there was a decent, intelligent female character on this
> DBC> show. A female version of Tom Servo would be nice. :-)
>
> WDS> Well make up your mind -- which do you want? :-)

[all the controversial in-fighting stuff deleted]. Well, as the one who
made the original post to which the followup was directed, I must say that
I did "get" the joke and I thought it was pretty darned funny! No problem
here! I was ROTFL. :-)

Eric Fein

Apr 18, 1994, 2:01:00 PM4/18/94
In <CoGEJ...@world.std.com> wds...@world.std.com (William December Starr) writes:

>A question of fact: Back in The Time of the Beginning, when Joel, Josh,
>Trace, et al. were developing and creating the show, was there anybody
>on the Best Brains team who was (1) female and (2) willing and able to
>do voice acting (and puppetry?) on a regular, full-time basis?

Well, technically, there is one female in the team. Who else but...Magic
Voice! No, she probably doesn't do puppetry, but she is a regular voiceover
feature on the SOL...

I'm tired of Gypsy too...I can't even understand what she says half the
time!

Eric
--
This message will self destruct.

Diane Barlow Close

Apr 18, 1994, 5:11:50 PM4/18/94
I, <cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com>, wrotes:

>(And I was disappointed that they sent Mike to the SOL, rather than, say,
>Dr. Forrester's new FEMALE temp secretary?? How about that for a plot
>twist?)
>
>Maybe the fact that Mike is a new guy, with different wants and needs than
>Joel will mean we might get a new character, created by him, on the show
>sometime? Just the jealousy among the other 'bots would make it worth
>it. :-)

Or how about the Brains revealing that Dr. C.F. failed the audit Mike was
supposed to be doing and Dr. F. get's put on probation. The person who
has to drop by on a semi-regular basis, to make sure Dr. F. is "bad"
enough to remain as a member of the mad scientist org., turns out to be a
particularly evil *female* mad scientist! We could have all kinds of plot
twists and turns as Dr. F. goes from being sexist and trying to snowball
her because she's female, to falling in love, to jealousy plots involving
Frank and Frank's worry about her usurping Frank's place in the lab. Or
she could suggest getting rid of Frank and Frank could fight it...

Well, I can think of a few ways to get "real" women on the show -- how
about you (all)? (Neat thread, btw. Comedy combined with soc.feminist.

Chris Crayton

Apr 18, 1994, 7:31:45 PM4/18/94
>Of course, you could still argue that, faced with that choice, it would
>have been less insulting to women if they'd chosen not to have a female
>character at all...

Everybody may be being a bit too sensitive about Gypsy. After all, she is
arguably the most important person on the SOL, as she keeps the whole thing
running. Since there are several women writers, it probably isn't fair to
say that there is a general animosity to women amongst the Brains.

I think that a much more pertainent question is What the heck do all of
those Mentos adds really mean?

+----------------------------------+
+--------------------------------------| He's not dead, he's resting! |
| Chris Crayton [cra...@delphi.com] +----------------------------------+

RLMA...@miamiu.bitnet

Apr 18, 1994, 7:35:12 PM4/18/94
In article <2ostsl$4...@bonnie.ics.uci.edu>, bmac...@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Brian

K!z!K MacDonald) says:

> Well, the "Sick of Gypsy" thread somehow triggered the idea
> for THIS thread... (I kave no idea why).
>

> But anyway, here are some of my favorite magic voice moments
> from the episodes IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, GAMERA VS. GOAS,
> INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN...

If you haven't seen it, then I can forgive you, but if you have, HOW
COULD YOU FORGET MAGIC VOICE'S SCENE IN "ATOMIC BRAIN?" That was A-
1 hee-larious! Since you put in spoilers though, I shan't say just
what she did, but I will say that it must be awful hard for
disembodied voices to find a date... Hee...

> K!z!K

? "Dish of ice cream? Don't tempt me!!!!" ?
? ?
? Lee Masheter, MSTie savant | Pilgrim of St. Damon, ?
? rlma...@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu | Patron Saint of the ?
? (Shew, that's a big 'un!) | Confused ?

mary virginia burke

Apr 18, 1994, 7:48:55 PM4/18/94
In <2out2m$n...@fido.asd.sgi.com> cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:

>I, <cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com>, wrotes:
>>(And I was disappointed that they sent Mike to the SOL, rather than, say,
>>Dr. Forrester's new FEMALE temp secretary?? How about that for a plot
>>twist?)
>>
>>Maybe the fact that Mike is a new guy, with different wants and needs than
>>Joel will mean we might get a new character, created by him, on the show
>>sometime? Just the jealousy among the other 'bots would make it worth
>>it. :-)

>Well, I can think of a few ways to get "real" women on the show -- how

>about you (all)? (Neat thread, btw. Comedy combined with soc.feminist.

How about if the temp agency sends a supervisor (played by me, of course) to
Deep 13 to find out what happened to Mike, or at least try to get his overalls
back? Dr. F will be so smitten with her (did I mention that I'm playing her?)
that he lets Frank run the store for a while and whisks her away for a
romantic weekend at Los Alamos. And Mike gets fined for losing the overalls.
And Dr. F decides that this woman (viz. me) is his soulmate, helpmeet, sweet-
meat, sugarbeet, etc., and brings her (that's me, you know) back to Deep 13
to live in endless bliss. But I, er, she gets to flirt with Mike too.

That is my theory, which is mine. (*ahem, ahem*)

Cheers--MVB

terry r lenn

Apr 18, 1994, 7:49:45 PM4/18/94
cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) declares:

> [all the controversial in-fighting stuff deleted]. Well, as the one who
> made the original post to which the followup was directed, I must say that
> I did "get" the joke and I thought it was pretty darned funny! No problem
> here! I was ROTFL. :-)

No controversial infighting here, Diane. Can't you see the smilies? I wasn't
the only one who took it that way; it's how it looked to some poeple. So
that's why I responded to WSD's post: in order to find out. Besides, I
thought it was a lame explanation--a lot of people on this group in previous
articles have argued over whether Tom or Crow was the most "emotionally mature"
robot, and many claimed that Tom must be more advanced because he seems
"intelligent, witty, urbane and sophisticated...a real 'bot about town."
If you're into doing personality inventories on robots, I suppose the above
describes Tom well enough.

Anyway, chill out. If you've read many of my posts, you'd have known that
almost everything I write is tinged with humor. If I wanted to rip a new
one in public it would've been obvious. Also, I don't always use emoticons
because I dislike them, and even when they are used people still somehow
misunderstand.

trl

Mark B Sachs

Apr 18, 1994, 9:15:31 PM4/18/94
In article <2out2m$n...@fido.asd.sgi.com> cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
>Or how about the Brains revealing that Dr. C.F. failed the audit Mike was
>supposed to be doing and Dr. F. get's put on probation. The person who
>has to drop by on a semi-regular basis, to make sure Dr. F. is "bad"
>enough to remain as a member of the mad scientist org., turns out to be a
>particularly evil *female* mad scientist! We could have all kinds of plot
>twists and turns as Dr. F. goes from being sexist and trying to snowball
>her because she's female, to falling in love, to jealousy plots involving
>Frank and Frank's worry about her usurping Frank's place in the lab. Or
>she could suggest getting rid of Frank and Frank could fight it...

Hah! I like it! That would be a nifty idea, and it fits in with the whole
attitude -- mise-en-scene, if you will -- of the show, too. Hmm... if
Joel, upon his return, lets them use his Gizmonic Institute trademarks
again, she could be one of the Institute's directors.

>Well, I can think of a few ways to get "real" women on the show -- how
>about you (all)? (Neat thread, btw. Comedy combined with soc.feminist.
>:-)

Assuming I can find the right person to play Dr. Gloria Monday on the
homebrew MST3K film the local fans and I are putting together, you just
might get a chance to see how it would work out. :-)

-Mark "We can't have nice things, can we?" Sachs

Mark B Sachs

Apr 18, 1994, 9:25:55 PM4/18/94

[Opening: Bridge, Satellite of Love. Mike, Tom, Crow, and Gypsy are
playing Monopoly.]

<Mike> ...three... four... five... Okay, Gypsy, you landed on Community
Chest. Take a card.

[He holds up a card for her.]

<Gypsy> You... won... second... prize... in... a... beauty... contest!
Collect $10!

[The red light begins to flash.]

<Tom> Oh, now what?
<Crow> Great. Manhattan and Baltic Avenue are calling.
<Mike> What's the deal, sirs? It's not experiment day!
<Gypsy> And I was winning!
<Mike> Yeah!

[Cut to Deep 13.]

<Dr. F> Did I interrupt your playtime, Milton Bradley? Too bad! But you'll
be glad to hear today's experiment is mercifully brief... it's a little
carbon blob we found on, of all places, alt.society.generation-x -- so you
should be able to relate to it, Temp-Boy. [smirks] Send them the article,
Frank.
<Frank> [melodramatically] At once, Leader Forrester... [hits a random switch]

[SOL Bridge]

<Mike> Aaaahh! We've got megabozo sign!

*...6...5...4...3...2...1...

Article 20686 of alt.society.generation-x:
From: dchr...@uoguelph.ca (Don B Christie)
Newsgroups: alt.society.generation-x
Subject: Re: buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Date: 15 Apr 1994 04:31:04 GMT

<Tom> Hey, the abbreviation of the beast!

<Crow> I suspect this post is going to be anything _but_ nermal.

kurt scaletta (KSCA...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU) wrote:
: bleep.

<Tom> Hey, kurt, this is a family newsgroup! Clean up your language!

: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

<Mike> So. A row of "z"s with a "*bleep*" in the middle.
<Tom> Yup.
<Crow> Pretty much.

: social power only manifests itself in the exclusions of those who do
: not possess it.

<Crow> I think it's already too late to salvage this post with witty social
commentary, kurt!
<Tom> [sarcastic] If that is your _real_ name.

: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

<Tom> Oh, great. Mike, get up there and fiddle with the antenna or something.

[Mike gets up and starts messing with the screen.]

: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*zzzz

<Crow> Ahh, that didn't work, it's worse now. Try moving it the other way.
<Tom> Try hitting it!

: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Mike hits the screen.]

<Tom> There, it's OK now. Thanks, Mike.

[Mike returns to his seat.]

<Crow> Gee, it would be a shame if that screen broke down, wouldn't it.

: what is true of wolves and apes is true of humans.

<Mike> Not true. At least wolves and apes don't post dippy screeds like
this to Usenet!

: zzzzzzzzzz*bleep*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*

<Crow> zzzzzzzzzz...
<Tom> Crow! Hey, Crow! Oh, no... the post's put him to sleep!
<Mike> Crow! Wake up!
<Crow> ...zzzzzzzzzzz...

: the alpha alpha alpha of generation x is:

<Tom> Crow!
<Mike> [shaking him] Crow!
<Crow> ...zzzzzz*bleep*zzzzzz...

: RUSH LIMBAUGH!

<Crow> [waking up] AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

: !media hits the streets and starts counting noses.

<Tom> [Schwarzenegger] I'm here to hit the streets and count noses, and
I'm all out of noses.
<Crow> [still shaking] Don't EVER do that!
<Mike> Hey, you guys! Robot Roll Call!

: > affirmation through denegration.

<All> Cambot!

: > acceptance through denial.

<All> Gypsy!

: > assimilation through division.

<All> Tom Servo!

: > action through passivity.

<All> Croooooooow!
<Tom> Heh, heh.

: A hero even for those who hate him:

<Mike> Ed Wood, Jr.?
<Crow> Penn Jillette?
<Tom> Carl Macek?

: RUSH

<All> Oh, yeah, him.

is a big fat ICON

<Crow> Heh. Ditch the extra "I" and you've just about got it...

: z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip

<Tom> It's on the blink again!
<Mike> No, wait a minute, it'll probably clear up.

: the omega omega omegas of generics are:

<Mike> See?
<Tom> Oh. Actually, I kind of wish it _had_ stayed on the blink.

: nerboyz, fatchix,

<Mike> What is this? Make Your Own Language Day at the University
of Maine, or what?

sundry pathetic anti-social or socially handicapped

: L-O-S-E-R-S (You know who I mean)

<Crow> [sniggering] I think we _all_ know who the real L-O-S-E-R is, k-u-r-t.

: (Where would you be without them?)

<Mike> Happy?
<Crow> Much more psychologically well-adjusted?
<Tom> Able to sleep at nights?

: Due to the interactive nature of this medium, you may react in
: the space below.

<All> IT STINKS!

: >
: >ZZZZzzzz ZZZZzzzz ZZZZ-HAHHH!!! - OH Shit, man that was weird...
: >what a dream! Wait - why are my arms dead. I have no feeling in my
: >arms or legs and why am i lying in the middle of this massive
: >post-modern-cathedral with free parking and over 112 shops and services
: >for MY convenience. I need the Simpson's - any body got last weeks tape
: >of the Simpsons?

<Mike> Oh, I think I saw this bit in "Brazil."

: >
: >
: > don (still sweating...)
: >
: >
: >
: > WE DON'T NEED AUTHORITIES
: > This obvious attempt at trolling WE NEED INFORMATION
: > through signification was caused by: -Kathy Acker

<Crow> Oh! _Trolling_! Ha ha ha! Kill him.

: Kurt Scaletta (ksca...@maine.bitnet)'s
: unhappy childhood. e-mail for pooh pics.

<Tom> [sarcastic] Oh, _may_ we?
<Mike> Let's go, you guys.

...6...5...4...3...2...1...*...

<Crow> Well, geez, that was just _weird_.
<Tom> What was the point? Just a bunch of buzzing noises and a totally
irrelevant political diatribe in the middle?
<Mike> Actually...

[CRASH! The SOL rocks sharply.]

<Crow> What in the Sam Hill was _that_?
<Mike> Cambot! Give me rocket number 9!

[Cut to outside the Satellite of Love. A really funky blobby looking
ship glides past. Cut to inside, as the hexfield opens revealing
an unshaven, cadaverous man wearing sunglasses and a straitjacket.]

<Mike> Hey, what luck! Kurt Scaletta, author of today's post, has dropped
by the satellite!
<kurt> yo.
<Mike> Hey, Kurt, the bots and I were just wondering about that post
of yours you made. Like, what did you really mean to say? Is it a
postmodern sort of thing, or what?
<kurt> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*
<Tom> Oh, nice one, Nelson. Let me try. Yo, Kurt dude! What's this
about the "alpha alpha alpha" of Generation X being Rush Limbaugh?
Did you mean in a sense of being a recognizable personality, or --
<kurt> z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*z*blip*
<Tom> Is that a yes?
<Crow> Me next, me next! Hey, Kurt Stairmaster! Are you really saying
that the biggest problem about being Generation X is all the boneheads
trying to portray it as a monolithic bloc?
<kurt> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
<Mike> Um.
<Crow> Geez. This is kind of embarrassing.
<Mike> Well, er, I can't think of anything else to say. Do either
of you have another question for Kurt?
<Tom> I don't.
<Crow> Me neither.
<Mike> Huh. Well, goodbye, Kurt.
<kurt> want some pooh pics?
<All> No! No, that's okay!

[The hexfield closes.]

<Crow> I wonder what _he_ wanted.
<Tom> I wonder what he meant by "pooh pics." [shudders]
<Mike> What do you think, sirs?

[Deep 13. Dramatic music swells in the background.]

<Dr. F> Well, I --
<Frank> I thought the whole scene was full of psychological and historical
significance!
<Dr. F> Oh, shut up and push the button, Frank.

\ | /
\|/
--*-- click!
/|\
/ | \

======================

Disclaimer: MST3K, et cetera, are trademarks of Best Brains Inc. and I
swear upon a stack of Bibles I'm not getting any profit out of this.
This is also not a personal attack on Mr. Scaletta, although he's
really asking for it, don't you think?

-Mark "Send them the anime, Dr. Monday!" Sachs in Deep 23

> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*bleep*zzzzz

Erin Cash

Apr 18, 1994, 10:24:41 PM4/18/94
In article <CoHBH...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> mvb...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (mary virginia burke) writes:

>How about if the temp agency sends a supervisor (played by me, of course) to
>Deep 13 to find out what happened to Mike, or at least try to get his overalls
>back? Dr. F will be so smitten with her (did I mention that I'm playing her?)
>that he lets Frank run the store for a while and whisks her away for a
>romantic weekend at Los Alamos. And Mike gets fined for losing the overalls.
>And Dr. F decides that this woman (viz. me) is his soulmate, helpmeet, sweet-
>meat, sugarbeet, etc., and brings her (that's me, you know) back to Deep 13
>to live in endless bliss. But I, er, she gets to flirt with Mike too.
>
>That is my theory, which is mine. (*ahem, ahem*)

Sounds good. Just one question. Who would they get to play her?

--
__ . ______________________________________________________________
|_ \"Yes, I did it. I kiIled Yvette. I hated her so much, it,

Pete McNab

Apr 18, 1994, 10:37:04 PM4/18/94
Kate Wrightson (kwri...@moe.coe.uga.edu) wrote:

[...]

It's not Lorne's fault that Monty Python's Flying Circus did the exact same
thing. Carol Cleveland, the most common female character on MPFC said in an
interview a couple of years ago that this was because none of the guys could
write a decent female character, so they would just write their version of
women, which was easier for them to portray.

Pete McNab | "Don't give me any of that intelligent
pmc...@soda.berkeley.edu | life stuff. Find me something I can
| blow up." -Lt. Doolittle, _Dark Star_

"Horror is that which we have not yet come to terms with."
- Ramsey Campbell

fRiNgE

Apr 19, 1994, 3:58:42 AM4/19/94
In article <2ou55v$8...@fido.asd.sgi.com> cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
>Marissa Westerfield <west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu> writes:
>> [stuff deleted]
>>"MST3K," however, takes place in a closed environment. By that I mean there
>>are very few places in the context of the show where Best Brains *can* put
>>a new character. Gypsy isn't a real female character, after all, (my
>
>(And I was disappointed that they sent Mike to the SOL, rather than, say,
>Dr. Forrester's new FEMALE temp secretary?? How about that for a plot
>twist?)
>
>Diane Close
> cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com
> I'm at lunch today. :-)

Well, with all this talk of female characters aboard the SOL, I figured I'd
repost my MST3K fanfic called Joel 1/2. Keep in mind this was written almost
a year ago, before the switch from Joel to Mike.

Matt

--

OK, so by now pretty much everyone on here knows that Joel is leaving *sniff*
and that Mike Nelson is replacing him. The big question now is how are they

In Another Dimension...

Joel 1/2

[Opening Song]

1..2..3..4..5..6..G

[SOL. Balloons are everywhere, on the walls, table, Joel & the 'bots holding
some. A bit of confetti is scattered on the table. It looks as though
another party is occurring. Crow and Tom are talking in the background]

JOEL: Oh, hi everyone and welcome to [sucks on balloon] the Satellite of
Love. My name's Joel Robinson and these here are my bots. [his voice is a bit
higher due to the helium]

TOM: [also high pitched due to helium] Howdy do!

CROW: [sounds vaguely like a chipmunk] Pleased ta meet'cha!

JOEL: [sucking again on a balloon] We were just relaxing up here, having a
little party, when one thing led to another and, well, [taking another drag]
we started talking about helium.

CROW: Yeah, helium. Wooo. [Lets go of a balloon. It flies briefly about
the ship]

TOM: [Trying to sound low and serious even though he now sounds more like
Bobby from Howie Mandel's Bobby's World] Yes, helium, that amazing element
used for party balloons and cold fusion experiments which also has the power
to make your voice sound really goofy and high.

CROW: [Now sounding like a chipette] Yeah, high. Just get a load of this.
Mi mi mi mi mi. Ha ha. Woooo. [Lets another balloon go]

MAGIC VOICE: [Also high pitched] Commercial sign in fifteen seconds. Can
you lower the helium concentration a bit? I'm starting to get affected too.

JOEL: Sure. Sorry, Magic Voice. We just got a little carried away there.
You know what they say, [Takes another pull. Now sounds like a chipmunk
himself] boys will be boys.

CROW: [Takes a pull himself] Yeah, and chipmunks will be chipmunks. Wooo.
[Lets go of this balloon]

JOEL: [To Crow] Now, come on Crow, Magic Voice asked us to ease up.

CROW: OK. But it's so much fun. [A small balloon escapes from under the
table in front of Crow]

MAGIC VOICE: [one or two more balloons escape from Crow. As Magic Voice
speaks, each word gets successively higher] Commercial sign in
five...[higher] four...[higher] three...[you get the idea] two...*SQUEAK!*

JOEL: Now you've done it, Crow.

TOM: [Like a chipmunk] Yeah, Crow, you have to spoil everything.

JOEL: [Looking up] Don't worry Magic Voice, we'll have you fixed up in no
time. [To camera] We'll be right back. [Hits button]

[Commercial Break]

[SOL looks normal again. Or at least cleaned up, no more balloons. Everyone
sounds normal. Joel talks to Crow center left (from our perspective). Tom is
on the right side (Joel's left. i.e. - C J T, not that it matters much).]

JOEL: Now, Crow, you shouldn't do things like that, especially if someone
asks you not to.

TOM: Yeah, Crow.

Joel: [Turns to Tom] Now, Tom, Let's not start... [Light on table starts
flashing] Uh-oh! Big Joe Bob and Doreen are calling, guys! [Hits button]

[Deep 13. Frank is walking aimlessly in the background.]

DR. F: Well now, Joel, enough with the name calling. Let's get on with this
week's invention exchange.

[SOL. Joel now holds what appears to be a typical laser gun. Black, shiny,
green light on the side, maybe a red trim, etc.]

JOEL: Well Sirs, my invention this week came to me while trying to fix Magic
Voice. You see, heh, the 'bots got a little carried away with the helium and,
well,... Anyway, you know how when you used to go to high school dances, all
the boys would line up on one side of the gym, and all the girls would line up
on the other. It took time for the two to mingle, and when they did there was
invariably more of one than the other. Well, my invention this week solves
this problem. It's a sex-change ray gun. I call it the Jhusenkyu 2000. You
just point it at the person, pull the trigger, and presto, they are now of the
opposite sex. I was going to use it on Magic Voice but, ah-heh, she doesn't
have a body. So now to demonstrate the uses of the Jhusenkyu 2000, our very
own Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo.

CROW: Wow, what a dull dance.

TOM: Yeah, and all the girls are already dancing with someone else, or don't
know how to dance.

CROW: What'll we do?

TOM: Well, we could dance with each other...

CROW: Two guys dancing together? We'd never live it down.

JOEL: Ah, but now with the new Jhusenkyu 2000 you can do just that without
fear of ridicule. Observe. [Joel fires the gun at Tom. A red beam comes out
and envelopes Tom in a red glow for a second, then fades. Being a robot,
there is of course no physical change.]

TOM: [His/her voice now an octave higher.] Wow. Now we can dance.

CROW: Wow, Tommy, I never knew you looked so good as a girl.

TOM: Now don't joke too much Crow. Next time it's your turn. Joel, party's
over. Change me back, OK?

JOEL: No problem. [He fires again. This time, a blue glow envelopes Tom.]
How's that?

TOM: [Now back to his old self] Great. Thanks.

JOEL: What do you think, Sirs?

[Deep 13]

DR. F: Very intriguing. But how do we know it really works? You've only
used it on a robot so far.

[Cut to SOL]

JOEL: Well, I could... [Suddenly, the green light on the gun starts flashing
red and beeping.]

TOM: Um, Joel, is it supposed to be doing that?

JOEL: No, there's a circut overload. Quick, Cambot, open the airlock and
give me rocket #9. [Joel throws the gun out the airlock to right of bridge.]

[Cut to typical view from rocket #9 as an explosion from the front right rocks
the ship.]

[Back to inside the SOL. It rocks (cambot) slightly for a few seconds ala
Star Trek. Crow and Tom are still front. Joel's back is to us at the
airlock.]

TOM: Whew. That was a close one.

CROW: Yeah, good thing we weren't caught in the explosion. Right, Joel?

JOEL: [Female voice] Umm, well... [Joel turns toward cambot. He is now
definately female.]

[Bots try to suppress laughter. A few snickers escape.]

TOM: Well, *some* of us weren't caught in the explosion.

CROW: Are you sure that wasn't an IQ gun? Beause you definitely look
[snicker] *smarter* to me. [Laughs]

JOEL: Ha ha. Very funny. [To cambot] Well, Sirs, you can see it works.
You wouldn't happen to have a GRX-17 (TOM: [In background] He's cute! JOEL:
[Turning to him] Stop it.) that you could send up, do you?

[Deep 13. Frank is on the left, Dr. F. on the right. Frank is holding a
similar ray gun, but slightly bigger, with the top opened up. Dr. F holds a
small crystal in his hand, between thumb and forefinger.]

DR. F: A GRX-17, also known as the transmutation crystal? Yes, I happen to
have *one*, for our invention this week, coincidentally. You know, Joel,
these things are very hard to come by. Frank just managed to find this one by
chance.

FRANK: Yeah, you know, it was the funniest thing. I was down talking with
the mole people when we...

DR. F: Shut up, Frank.

FRANK: But I was talking.

DR. F: I don't care. Let's get on with the invention exchange.

FRANK: [Throwing a temper-tantrum and whining] But I was talking!

DR. F: Yes, yes, Frank. Later. Anyway, Joel, our invention this week is for
those people who don't seem able to act their age. Now you can regress them
physically to match their mental state with our pistol of youth. It also
worked on our miracle grow babies. We were, um, getting a couple of
complaints. Ah-heh. [Puts GRX-17 crystal into gun and closes the top.]

FRANK: Um, Dr. F. You said I could fire the gun.

DR. F: No, I didn't, now give it to me. [Grabs the gun from Frank.]

FRANK: No. No fair! You said I could fire it. It's not fair! [Starts
jumping up and down, whining and throwing a temper-tantrum.]

[Dr. F. shoots Frank with the gun. There is a puff of smoke, and now a two
year old is standing where Frank was. He still has the styled hair, but the
clothes don't fit as well now. The kid Frank continues to jump up and down
and begins to cry.]

DR. F: See? Now you can act your age. [Turning to camera.] Anyway Joel,
I'll send up the crystal once I've taught Frank his lesson. In the meantime,
I hope you enjoy this week's feature. It's called "Cat Women of the Moon" and
it is a spunky load of noodles. [Turning back to Frank] What's the matter,
gonna cry, huh? Cry, Frankie, baby.

[Cut to SOL. Movie Sign]

JOEL: Oh, we've got movie sign. [Hits button]

G..6..5..4..3..2..1

[Nearly two hours of bad movie later. Trust me, it's good MST3K material.]

1..2..3..4..5..6..G

[Usual letter, etc. Tom reads the address.]

JOEL: Well, that's it. How about letting me change back. What do you think,
Sirs?

[Deep 13]

DR. F: Well, Frankie, will you behave now? [Frank nods] OK, then. [Shoots
Frank with gun. A cloud of smoke and TV's Frank is back standing there.]

FRANK: Mine! You said I could shoot it! [Tries to grab gun.]

DR. F: Now Frank, be careful, that's the only GRX-17 we have.

FRANK: Mine! [Yanks gun out of Dr. F's hands. It falls to the floor and
breaks.] Oops.

DR. F: [Screams] *FRANK!*

[Screenshrink (for lack of a better term) as we hear Frank start to cry, which
continues through the credits.]

[Whoosh]

[]

What do you think, Sirs? Send comments to mdu...@husc.harvard.edu
All comments quite welcome.

Matt mdu...@husc.harvard.edu

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Matthew Duhan mdu...@husc.harvard.edu
Look, when I want my opinions I'll ask me for them!
HRSFA, IGP, MST3K, TMBG, MP, LA, DNA--any more initials and I'll go insane
I have animal magnetism. When I go outside, squirrels stick to me.

Stephen R Shaw

Apr 19, 1994, 4:39:00 AM4/19/94
Sorry, dude, I've been known by "La" since I was 10.

;-)

Harlan Freilicher

Apr 19, 1994, 10:59:51 AM4/19/94
(Diane Barlow Close) writes:

>Actually I'm surprised that Mike, being the new guy on the SOL, hasn't
>wanted to customize the robots or make any new ones that would provide
>better company for him, personally. After all, these "friends" were
>created by Joel, and Joel's idea of a friend might not be Mike's idea of a
>good friend.
>

>Maybe the fact that Mike is a new guy, with different wants and needs than
>Joel will mean we might get a new character, created by him, on the show
>sometime? Just the jealousy among the other 'bots would make it worth
>it. :-)

Suspending the "it's just a show" factor for a moment, let's remember
that our boy Mike isn't exactly Mr.Wizard with machinery. We got to see him
try to fix Crow and accidentally turn him into Arnold Horschack, while
gleefully declaring, "I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!" We've
seen his invention exchanges, which have generally been less than "gizmonic."
And every time he tries to do anything vaguely technical on the satellite,
he goes straight for the manual. Joel's kind of the guy you ask to help you
set up your VCR, and he figures out a way to give you free Cable while
he's at it. Mike's more like the guy who's pretty sure he doesn't need to
call Joel for help, if he reads the instructions carefully enough. Then
again, Tom & Crow have built robots, and they don't even have working
hands, so who's to say?

| Harlan Freilicher | " " |
| har...@acpub.duke.edu | -Cambot |

pat walsh

Apr 19, 1994, 1:33:11 PM4/19/94
Diane Close writes:

>Or how about the Brains revealing that Dr. C.F. failed the audit Mike was
>supposed to be doing and Dr. F. get's put on probation. The person who
>has to drop by on a semi-regular basis, to make sure Dr. F. is "bad"
>enough to remain as a member of the mad scientist org., turns out to be a
>particularly evil *female* mad scientist! We could have all kinds of plot
>twists and turns as Dr. F. goes from being sexist and trying to snowball
>her because she's female, to falling in love, to jealousy plots involving
>Frank and Frank's worry about her usurping Frank's place in the lab. Or
>she could suggest getting rid of Frank and Frank could fight it...

How about a different type of jealousy plot -- say, Frank's attracted to her
also? Then Frank could play Torgo to Clay's Master.

- Patrick Walsh
University of Virginia Department of Physics
p...@virginia.bitnet, p...@virginia.edu, p...@gomez.phys.virginia.edu
"Can we break your head open now and eat the popcorn?" - Crow, _Undersea
Kingdom_, from _The Indestructible Man_ episode

mi...@cruzio.com

Apr 19, 1994, 2:32:02 PM4/19/94
In article <Apr.17.14.33....@clam.rutgers.edu>, sha...@clam.rutgers.edu (Susan Hamson) writes:
> Yeah she does some funny things, but let's face it--the whole dynamic of
> the SOL is that it's a boys' club where silly, clueless girls aren't
> welcome. Her attempt at ragging on Hercules and the Captive Women is a
> perfect example of this. Why didn't they give this character an
> authentic female voice and some intelligence?
>
> I LOVE Joel, Mike, Servo and Crow to death, but they would have been
> better served if they just left this insulting female stereotype out of
> the works from the very beginning.

Stereotype? There are people out there who think that women can't speak
intelligibly, are capable of advanced math/physics/engineering, and can't
think of anything funny to say to a bad movie? Gosh.

You must remember that Joel created Gypsy for a wonderful purpose. (i.e.
"doing all the work around here")

Plus, you have to admit that if they DIDN'T have a female (and I use the word
loosely here. We are talking about a robot, after all) character, people
would be complainging about that, too.

Besides, who would Tom have been able to go on a date with, if not Gypsy?
(sure, she dumped him. But its better to have loved and lost than . . . oh,
never mind.)

[The preceding post was brought to you by a male. It is therefore evil and
should not be payed any attention to.]

--
I wish it were darker so you couldn't see my .sig. Pitch black would be nice.

mi...@cruzio.com
(All opinions expressed here are mine, so bite me.)

mi...@cruzio.com

Apr 19, 1994, 2:41:32 PM4/19/94
In article <2ou55v$8...@fido.asd.sgi.com>, cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
> Actually I'm surprised that Mike, being the new guy on the SOL, hasn't
> wanted to customize the robots or make any new ones that would provide
> better company for him, personally. After all, these "friends" were
> created by Joel, and Joel's idea of a friend might not be Mike's idea of a
> good friend.

The problem there is that the point has been clearly made that Mike is not
"robotically" inclined. Could be funny to have him keep trying and failing,
however. (Could maybe replace the invention exchange for a while.)

> (And I was disappointed that they sent Mike to the SOL, rather than, say,
> Dr. Forrester's new FEMALE temp secretary?? How about that for a plot
> twist?)

Well, I don't know. I mean, a woman is okay for occasiional skits and such,
but I don't think the actual hosting of the show could be done by a woman.
You know, all those "hormonal" problems women have periodically. I mean,
they couldn't be expected to actually run things. There'ed be that one
episode every month where she'd probably refuse to watch the movie and just
sit around eating frozen yogurt and complaining about her thies and . . .
<sees hordes of angry females marching up waving torches and farm implements>

poopy!

<ducking back under rock I crawled from>

mi...@cruzio.com

Apr 19, 1994, 2:44:53 PM4/19/94
In article <2out2m$n...@fido.asd.sgi.com>, cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
> Or how about the Brains revealing that Dr. C.F. failed the audit Mike was
> supposed to be doing and Dr. F. get's put on probation. The person who
> has to drop by on a semi-regular basis, to make sure Dr. F. is "bad"
> enough to remain as a member of the mad scientist org., turns out to be a
> particularly evil *female* mad scientist! We could have all kinds of plot
> twists and turns as Dr. F. goes from being sexist and trying to snowball
> her because she's female, to falling in love, to jealousy plots involving
> Frank and Frank's worry about her usurping Frank's place in the lab. Or
> she could suggest getting rid of Frank and Frank could fight it...
>
> Well, I can think of a few ways to get "real" women on the show -- how
> about you (all)? (Neat thread, btw. Comedy combined with soc.feminist.
> :-)

Yes! I like it! And we could get Sybil Danning, and she could wear lots of
tight and/or skimpy things and Frank could get punished for being a bad boy
and . . . um, or did you have something else in mind?

Pat Gomes

Apr 19, 1994, 5:10:50 PM4/19/94
In article <CoHBI...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
terry r lenn <tl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:
[context deleted]>

>Anyway, chill out. If you've read many of my posts, you'd have known that
>almost everything I write is tinged with humor. If I wanted to rip a new
>one in public it would've been obvious. [snipons

Terry! To rip one in public? How gross! And "it would've been obvious,"
too! My gosh, where is this newsgroup heading?

over and out,
Pat Gomes

cline...@cobra.uni.edu

Apr 19, 1994, 7:47:20 PM4/19/94
In article <jnevins.766673887@bgsuvax>, jne...@bgsu.edu (john nevins) writes:
>>Marissa
>
> I suppose I agree with you, but let's remember that Crow & Tom are hardly
> paragons of behavior, either. The only _really_ well-rounded characters
> are the humans, which is as it should be; after all, the other characters
> are programmed. But, yes, it would be nice to see well-rounded female
> characters once in a while...

How soon they forget. Don't you remember Nuveena? Her character was so
well developed in one show that I felt that I had known her forever (do you
believe in love at first sight) She was only allowed to stay one show because
her character was so well defined and developed that they had no further
depths to explore.

Kendall
"Go to bed old man." - Joel

RLMA...@miamiu.bitnet

Apr 19, 1994, 8:04:22 PM4/19/94
In article <2out2m$n...@fido.asd.sgi.com>, cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow

You mean soc.feminist isn't allowed to be funny? ;) (Please, don't
throw anything larger than a pen at me)

Here's a coupla/few ideas: One's a cop-out, though:
Have Nuveena recur a la Torgo. I thought Bridget was hysterical with
all of her pseudo-modern-dancing-fever, and her trilly little future
talk was most humourous.

But if Dr. F _were_ to have a probation scientist (female), and I
think it's a _fabulous_ idea (!) I have to fight to the front of the
line to push for Mary Jo Pehl in the role! I think she'd do just
GREAT as a mad scientist. Bridget would do well, I'm sure, but from
seeing the two of them on the show, I would have to say that Mary Jo
would make the better mad scientist.

Anyhow, my non-copout idea would be to have a liaison and/or contact
(at the Swiss border perhaps?) for Mike to try to convince to rescue
the bots and himself, or perhaps even to bring the satellite down.
I have lots of humourous things that could happen with that in my
head, but I don't think any of them would translate well to type, so
come up with your own! It's fun! =) (I think this idea would only
work if they stopped doing the invention exchange, which I really
hope they don't.) There's a thought! Dr. F's probation scientist
could judge the invention exchange! Imagine how miffed Clay might
become when she rules that Mike's invention was far more evil and/or
sadistic. I think the Fabio do-it-yourself kit would fall under
that category. =)

My other idea would be to have someone besides a probation scientist
who would need to visit Deep Thirteen. She could be a plumber, a
geologist (Deep 13 _is_ in the Earth's center, remember) or some sort
of strange, super-intelligent member of a subterranean race that was
for some reason obsessed with Geechy Guy...

Now wouldn't _that_ be disturbing, AAAaaaAAAhhh!

>--
>Diane Close
> cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com
> I'm at lunch today. :-)

And may your lunch nourish and strengthen you...

Greg Gershowitz

Apr 20, 1994, 3:02:56 PM4/20/94
>>Well, I can think of a few ways to get "real" women on the show -- how
>>about you (all)? (Neat thread, btw. Comedy combined with soc.feminist.
>>:-)

Hmm. What's the problem with the "reel" women on the show?

-Greg "My cable's working, it's a miracle!!" G
--
"No matter who you are, no matter what you look like, deep down in
the gunny sack of your soul, in the top drawer, in the back, on the

Wendy Scher

Apr 20, 1994, 10:30:49 PM4/20/94

>In article <Apr.17.14.33....@clam.rutgers.edu>,
>sha...@clam.rutgers.edu (Susan Hamson) said:
>
>> What a novel idea! Actually, I can't say that I hate Gypsy, but I too
>> cringe when she appears on camera! I don't know why they bothered to
>> even write in a female character if they're going to have one so
>> intellectually insulting.

>> Yeah she does some funny things, but let's face it--the whole dynamic
>> of the SOL is that it's a boys' club where silly, clueless girls
>> aren't welcome. Her attempt at ragging on Hercules and the Captive
>> Women is a perfect example of this. Why didn't they give this
>> character an authentic female voice and some intelligence?
>
>A question of fact: Back in The Time of the Beginning, when Joel, Josh,
>Trace, et al. were developing and creating the show, was there anybody
>on the Best Brains team who was (1) female and (2) willing and able to
>do voice acting (and puppetry?) on a regular, full-time basis?
>
>If the answer is no, a fair amount of what's complained about above can
>be excused on the grounds that there was no way in hell Jim Mallon or
>anybody else on the team could do that falsetto voice on an in-every-
>scene basis (imagine what his throat must have been like by the time he
>finished all that shrieking in "Mitchell"), so if they were going to
>have a female character at all, it would have to be one with a good
>excuse for only showing up in brief segments and not participating in
>the riffing.
>
>Of course, you could still argue that, faced with that choice, it would
>have been less insulting to women if they'd chosen not to have a female
>character at all...
>
>-- William December Starr <wds...@world.std.com>

I don't think so. True, I used to hate Gypsy because I found her insulting,
and I still am not used to her voice alone, but I think she's a nice female,
well, character. I love it when she acts "doggish" (many people even act
doggish, to tell you the truth) and when her light goes out when she's
sleeping. She especially seems doggish when she sleeps. Well, that's just
my opinion (and nobody's money.)

"You're just too goofy for your own good!"
-David Letterman, to Jon Lovitz
-Spengo

Matt Drozdowski

Apr 21, 1994, 10:11:27 AM4/21/94
Diane Barlow Close (cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com) wrote:

[...]

The only problem with that is Mike doesn't actually know *how* to program a 'bot.
I mean, part of the fun of his being trapped is his learning basic maintenance of
Crow, Tom, Gypsy and Cambot so they don't break down half way through an experiment.
In fact, if he was to create a robot, it would probably resemble the russian 'bots
from the time he spent in space for Russia back during the first season.

Matt Drozdowski aka mat...@esu.edu

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 21, 1994, 12:03:53 PM4/21/94
cl...@lunch.asd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:

> Marissa Westerfield <west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu> writes:
> > [stuff deleted]
> >"MST3K," however, takes place in a closed environment. By that I mean there
> >are very few places in the context of the show where Best Brains *can* put
> >a new character. Gypsy isn't a real female character, after all, (my
>
> Actually I'm surprised that Mike, being the new guy on the SOL, hasn't
> wanted to customize the robots or make any new ones that would provide
> better company for him, personally. After all, these "friends" were
> created by Joel, and Joel's idea of a friend might not be Mike's idea of a
> good friend.

Mike probably wouldn't have the technical skills. Remember what
happened when he just tried to do some maintenance.

/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|>
<pr...@mvp.rain.com,agora.rdrop.com>

"I was this close to becoming... EPSTEIN."

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 22, 1994, 12:21:01 PM4/22/94
p...@sphinx.phys.Virginia.EDU (pat walsh) writes:

> Diane Close writes:
>
> >Or how about the Brains revealing that Dr. C.F. failed the audit Mike was
> >supposed to be doing and Dr. F. get's put on probation. The person who
> >has to drop by on a semi-regular basis, to make sure Dr. F. is "bad"
> >enough to remain as a member of the mad scientist org., turns out to be a
> >particularly evil *female* mad scientist! We could have all kinds of plot
> >twists and turns as Dr. F. goes from being sexist and trying to snowball
> >her because she's female, to falling in love, to jealousy plots involving
> >Frank and Frank's worry about her usurping Frank's place in the lab. Or
> >she could suggest getting rid of Frank and Frank could fight it...
>
> How about a different type of jealousy plot -- say, Frank's attracted to her
> also? Then Frank could play Torgo to Clay's Master.

Naah. Frank could never make passes as ineptly as Torgo.

/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@mvp.rain.com,agora.rdrop.com>
** Pioneering the use of the parasitic sig block **

Wsduncan

Apr 22, 1994, 10:47:11 PM4/22/94
>Nope. It's "Stay alive, no matter what occurs! I *will* find you!"
Right. I broke up laughing in a theater when the preview showed that line.
Those who loath that bit of tripe should check out Mark Twain's essay on James
Fenimore Cooper. It's quite entertaining.
(Sorry I don't have my books handy so I don't recall the title...
Anyone out there have a Twain anthology handy?)

Wsduncan

Apr 22, 1994, 11:05:05 PM4/22/94
In article <Apr.17.14.33....@clam.rutgers.edu>,
sha...@clam.rutgers.edu (Susan Hamson) writes:

>I LOVE Joel, Mike, Servo and Crow to death, but they would have been
>better served if they just left this insulting female stereotype out of
>the works from the very beginning.

No one seems to have read the FAQ's...
Gypsy is a robot as are Tom and Crow. Most of Gypsy's processor cycles are
devoted to keeping the ship in orbit and running the life support systems which
keep Mike (and previously Joel) alive. This accounts for her somewhat stunted
personallity. I don't recall her ever being presented as stupid only as
somewhat limited in her verbal skills.
If you want to look for hidden meanings in the casting of a "female" robot in
such a roll you might consider that as the one who maintains the home and cares
for the "family" on the SOL. she is representing her gender well. Without her
they wouldn't last any longer than it takes for an orbit to decay.

You might also take the view that as a working Mother Gypsy is just too damn
tired after working all day to be as clever as the kids who just sit around all
day watching movies.

Just my 2 cents...
bill

Basho

Apr 23, 1994, 9:17:14 AM4/23/94
wsdu...@aol.com (Wsduncan) writes:

I'm working without a reference guide here, but I think the essay is
called "The Literary Offenses of James Fennimore Cooper." A very
entertaining bit.

Basho
"Did I mention I cried?"

Phineas

Apr 24, 1994, 8:55:46 AM4/24/94
jne...@bgsu.edu (Basho) writes:

> wsdu...@aol.com (Wsduncan) writes:
>
> >>Nope. It's "Stay alive, no matter what occurs! I *will* find you!"
> >Right. I broke up laughing in a theater when the preview showed that line.
> >Those who loath that bit of tripe should check out Mark Twain's essay on Jam

> >Fenimore Cooper. It's quite entertaining.
> >(Sorry I don't have my books handy so I don't recall the title...
> >Anyone out there have a Twain anthology handy?)
>
> I'm working without a reference guide here, but I think the essay is
> called "The Literary Offenses of James Fennimore Cooper." A very
> entertaining bit.
>
> Basho
> "Did I mention I cried?"

I used to read books for the blind at the local library and once chose to
read his book of The Deerslayer. Try to read it out loud sometime. It's
impossible. I couldn't get past the first chapter, not that much
anything happened. He has sentences that run on for the length of a
large paragraph and words no one has ever heard of in this galaxy, not to
mention all the accents and....

Joel: Uh, Phineas, you're way off script here.

Sorry

--Phineas Narco

Kate Wrightson

Apr 24, 1994, 9:13:58 AM4/24/94
Wsduncan (wsdu...@aol.com) wrote:

: If you want to look for hidden meanings in the casting of a "female" robot in
: such a roll you might consider that as the one who maintains home and cares

: for the "family" on the SOL. she is representing her gender well. Without her
: they wouldn't last any longer than it takes for an orbit to decay.

Why does it take housework to make Gypsy "represent her gender well"?
I'd think that managing the functions of the SOL would be just as
representational of a female bot's skills. Plus, we never hear of Gypsy
doing "female" housework (I'm trying not to fall into this trap :) such
as dusting or dishes or changing Joel's sheets.

I'd suggest that you read the FAQs too :) Remember, Joel *created* Gypsy
to run the SOL so he wouldn't have to. He therefore has the knowledge,
but not the desire, and it's inaccurate to say "Without her they wouldn't

last any longer than it takes for an orbit to decay."

IMHO, Gypsy is a robot. Not a girl bot or a boy bot, but a bot with a
really annoying voice, which is why she is not my favorite.

Kate, a Tom Servo kinda girl

Joseph Merlino

Apr 25, 1994, 7:57:44 PM4/25/94

In article <2phhul$j...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu>, ca...@math.orst.edu (Erin Cash) writes:
|> In article <2phala$d...@search01.news.aol.com> gizm...@aol.com (Gizmonic) writes:
|>
|> >Jeepers, I thought I was gonna get through this whole thread without someone
|> >finally bringing up this obvious point! In one of the episodes (and I'm sure
|> >one of our more anal cohorts will be glad to name it); the "higher functions of
|> >this satellite" were actually shut down, and Joel and Gypsy had an intelligent
|> >conversation. And she *is* the one who got Joel off the SOL - even if it was
|> >because of a misunderstanding.
|>
|> Can someone tell me what episode this is. I would love to see it.

---> The fabulous "Mitchell", of course! (512?)

Just Another Redneck Paisan
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
--Joe Merlino / "I prefer my emotion as a feeling, rather
ko...@acs.bu.edu / than as a style."
(std disclaimers apply) / -Richard Thompson
T/_/H/_/I/_/N/_/K/_/_/A/_/T/_/_/Y/_/O/_/U/_/R/_/_/O/_/W/_/N/_/_/R/_/I/_/S/_/K/
obmst3k: "Milk: It does a body DEAD!" -Tom Servo
"You're not fully dead unless you're ZESTfully dead." -Crow T. Robot

Lulu

Apr 25, 1994, 8:54:23 PM4/25/94
> __ . ______________________________________________________________
> |_ \"Yes, I did it. I kiIled Yvette. I hated her so much, it,
> |__ |~ | |~) \ it, the fee- it flame, flames, flames on the side of my
> ca...@math.orst.edu \ face, breathing, breathless, heaving breaths, heaving..."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool .sig ... Madeline Kahn was great in that...

-Lulu

Tammy Davis

Apr 26, 1994, 9:37:28 AM4/26/94
In article <2pdram$3...@hobbes.cc.uga.edu>,

O.K. here's my two cent on Gypsy.

I love her. (Yes, *Her*). She's kind, protective, and does her job
exceptionally well. She's also the only "person" on the SOL that
IMO has changed and evolved over the years. Remember it wasn't
too long ago when Gypsy could barely say a complete sentence -
due to the great demands of running the higher functions had
on her limited memory.

Now however she's more than able to hold her own with Joel/Mike
and the Bots. And since it doubtful that Joel (and definitely
Mike) suddenly found the resources necessary to reprogramm her
with more memory (and/or better social skills), the only
conclusion left is that Gypsy has slowly been able to adapt
to her limited resources enough to develop better social
skills and still keep up her responsibilities in running
the higher functions. (Would Gypsy have been able to
figure out a way of getting Joel off SOL four years
ago? I don't think so.)

Gypsy is an excellent example of someone doing the best they
can with what little they got. And one of the main reasons for
this (aside from her own initative) was Joel's constant support
and patience. He always tried include her in their skits,
conversation, etc. and never berated or criticised when she
got things a little screwed up. If there is one thing that
I miss about Joel's departure, it's his interactions with
Gypsy, which I always found particularly touching.

So that's my two cents (O.K. more like five cents).

--TSD

\ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

Gizmonic

Apr 25, 1994, 4:54:02 PM4/25/94
In article <2pa391$q...@search01.news.aol.com>, wsdu...@aol.com (Wsduncan)
writes:

>>No one seems to have read the FAQ's...
Gypsy is a robot as are Tom and Crow. Most of Gypsy's processor cycles are
devoted to keeping the ship in orbit and running the life support systems which
keep Mike (and previously Joel) alive. This accounts for her somewhat stunted
personallity.
<<

Jeepers, I thought I was gonna get through this whole thread without someone

finally bringing up this obvious point! In one of the episodes (and I'm sure
one of our more anal cohorts will be glad to name it); the "higher functions of
this satellite" were actually shut down, and Joel and Gypsy had an intelligent
conversation. And she *is* the one who got Joel off the SOL - even if it was
because of a misunderstanding.

All you Gypsy-haters: I don't get you.

"We can't have nice things."
gizm...@aol.com (watch for new net.address coming to a .sig near you soon!)

Susan Hamson

Apr 26, 1994, 12:56:38 PM4/26/94
west...@cogsci.ucsd.edu (Marissa Westerfield) writes:

>"MST3K," however, takes place in a closed environment. By that I mean there
>are very few places in the context of the show where Best Brains *can* put
>a new character. Gypsy isn't a real female character, after all, (my

>apologies here to all the men I am about to offend) she was invented by
>Joel Robinson to keep him company; and while I am sure he did the best he
>could, he *is* just a guy, and so unlikely to do better than compile his
>personal collection of stereotypes about women into Gypsy. Hell, if I had
>to program a guy, I'm sure there are a bunch o'men out there that would not
>consider my efforts flattering ("Hey, hand me the remote, wouldja?" ;-) ).

Ya know...this is really the most rational of all the responses so far.
And, I have to admit, I started to give this some thought *after* I
voiced my displeasure over the character of Gypsy. She still grates on
my nerves, but after looking at it in this light I'm beginning to feel a
little empathy for Gypsy.

-------------------------
Susan Hamson
sha...@clam.rutgers.edu

Erin Cash

Apr 25, 1994, 6:58:29 PM4/25/94
In article <2phala$d...@search01.news.aol.com> gizm...@aol.com (Gizmonic) writes:

>Jeepers, I thought I was gonna get through this whole thread without someone
>finally bringing up this obvious point! In one of the episodes (and I'm sure
>one of our more anal cohorts will be glad to name it); the "higher functions of
>this satellite" were actually shut down, and Joel and Gypsy had an intelligent
>conversation. And she *is* the one who got Joel off the SOL - even if it was
>because of a misunderstanding.

Can someone tell me what episode this is. I would love to see it.

--
__ . __________________________________________
|_ \ "Yeah... they both have the special \

Erin Cash

Apr 25, 1994, 8:57:44 PM4/25/94
In article <2phldo$j...@news.bu.edu> ko...@acs3.bu.edu (Joseph Merlino) writes:

>|> Can someone tell me what episode this is. I would love to see it.

>---> The fabulous "Mitchell", of course! (512?)

Yeah, I knew that. I meant which episode had Joel and Gypsy conversing
intelligently when the satellite's higher functions were shut down.

Wsduncan

Apr 28, 1994, 12:14:05 AM4/28/94
In article <2pdram$3...@hobbes.cc.uga.edu>, kwri...@moe.coe.uga.edu (Kate
Wrightson) writes:

>>Why does it take housework to make Gypsy "represent her gender well"?

>>Kate, a Tom Servo kinda girl

What a cool girl...

Really Kate,
I wasn't attempting to say the Gypsy was the ships house keeper. Having been
raised by a single Mother I guess I don't even think that way and so didn't see
that my comment would be seen in that light. What I was trying to say is that
Gypsy is the working Mother in this little family but I guess that make
Mike/Joel the fat assed lazy drunken no good out of work father...
Sorry this is getting a little dark... I must have a touch or Crow.

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 27, 1994, 10:34:44 PM4/27/94
gizm...@aol.com (Gizmonic) writes:

> Jeepers, I thought I was gonna get through this whole thread without someone
> finally bringing up this obvious point! In one of the episodes (and I'm sure
> one of our more anal cohorts will be glad to name it);

[20something] _Wild Rebels_.

> the "higher functions

> this satellite" were actually shut down, and Joel and Gypsy had an intelligen

> conversation. And she *is* the one who got Joel off the SOL - even if it was
> because of a misunderstanding.

/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|>
<pr...@mvp.rain.com,agora.rdrop.com>

Gizmonic

Apr 28, 1994, 1:48:02 PM4/28/94
In article <L11gLc...@mvp.rain.com>, pr...@mvp.rain.com (Petrea Mitchell)
writes:

>> one of our more anal cohorts will be glad to name it);

> [20something] _Wild Rebels_.

> /
>Petrea Mitchell <|> <|>
><pr...@mvp.rain.com,agora.rdrop.com>

Oh, great! Now I've gone and called the great Petrea "anal." Please forgive
me, wonderful Mitchell-person!!

Larry MacGregor
lm...@pnet1.pnet.com <---- look everybody, a real net.provider!!
lm...@aol.com
gizm...@aol.com

Kate Wrightson

Apr 28, 1994, 4:48:02 PM4/28/94
Wsduncan (wsdu...@aol.com) wrote:

: >>Why does it take housework to make Gypsy "represent her gender well"?

: >>Kate, a Tom Servo kinda girl
: What a cool girl...

::chuckle:: Uh huh.

: Really Kate,

: I wasn't attempting to say the Gypsy was the ships house keeper. Having been

OK, that's cool :) But I don't think I buy the J/M as lazy Dad thing ;)
More like Gypsy and Joel/Mike trying desperately to keep one step ahead
of the evil twin toddlers, Crow and Servo? Your basic
two-working-parents scenario....

Kate, going off to purchase a gumball-machine hat

Irene Anastasia Vlavianos

Apr 27, 1994, 1:05:07 PM4/27/94
The eposode where Gypsy liberates Joel is 512 Mitchell.starring
Joe Don Baker (unfortunately) He lands in the Austra;ian
Outback.

The Hunter

Apr 30, 1994, 4:40:50 PM4/30/94
Tammy...@launchpad.unc.edu (Tammy Davis) writes:
>Gypsy is an excellent example of someone doing the best they
>can with what little they got. And one of the main reasons for
>this (aside from her own initative) was Joel's constant support
>and patience. He always tried include her in their skits,
>conversation, etc. and never berated or criticised when she
>got things a little screwed up. If there is one thing that
>I miss about Joel's departure, it's his interactions with
>Gypsy, which I always found particularly touching.

The Gypsy scene I like the best has got to be when Joel, Tom, and Crow
are playing rock, paper, scissors (sp?), and Gypsy *creams* Joel for
beating up her fellow 'bots. I loved that scene!

"The Hunter"
--
+---- The Hunter -- "hun...@iastate.edu" ----------------------------+
+ Bolo Handle: V xarj lbh pbhyq hfr n ebg guvegrra +

Wsduncan

May 1, 1994, 1:34:04 AM5/1/94
In article <2pp7e2$e...@hobbes.cc.uga.edu>, kwri...@moe.coe.uga.edu (Kate

Wrightson) writes:
>>More like Gypsy and Joel/Mike trying desperately to keep one step ahead
>>of the evil twin toddlers, Crow and Servo?
Ok, that I can believe.
By the way someone (Petra) posted that "Wild Rebels" includes a skit where
the higher functions shut down and Gypsy and Joel have a normal conversation.
I need to find a copy ...

Irene Anastasia Vlavianos

May 3, 1994, 11:52:54 PM5/3/94
Hey, let's give Gypsy a break! She may not be the funniest, but
she has her moments. My favorite is here lip synching scene in
'I accus my Parents' it was hilarious!! Besides, she doesn't
get Tom Servo, cause he's the wind, baby!

Todd Gilbert

May 17, 1994, 7:05:04 PM5/17/94
In article <1994May4.0...@Virginia.EDU>, ia...@Virginia.EDU (Irene
Anastasia Vlavianos) wrote:

And let's not forget the one where she put the satellite on auto-pilot
and came into the theatre....I feel her pain :->

Todd

--
tgil...@salsa.abq.bdm.com The owls are not what they seem
or " @nacho.abq.bdm.com And neither are the penguins

"Have you ever noticed that we tend to elevate to the level
of expert anyone who happens to agree with us?"