MSTed: various shorts (2/3)

Petrea E. Mitchell

Feb 26, 1995, 12:35:23 PM2/26/95

> From cmcl2!swiss.ans.net!gatech!news-feed-1.peachnet.

CROW: Peachy!

> edu!concert!inxs.ncren.ne!taco.

ALL: Mmm... taco.

> cc.ncsu.edu!eos.ncsu.edu!tfhill
> Sat Sep 10 15:39:30 1994

MIKE: Saturday. September the tenth, nineteen ninety-four at three thir-
ty-nine... A day that will live in infamy.

> Path:cmcl2!swiss.ans.net!gatech!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!concert!inxs.
> ncren.

SERVO: [Swiss] He is Ollie, you are Sven.

> net!taco.cc.ncsu.edu!eos.ncsu.edu!tfhill
> From: tfh...@eos.ncsu.edu
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.goons

CROW: Yay! A post about the Goon Show!
SERVO: That's *Captain* Neddie Seagoon, M.T., M.T., M.T., M.T., and M.T.
MIKE: What're all the M.T.'s for?
SERVO: I get fivepenny deposit back on each of them!

> Subject: PROPOSAL:

CROW: But this is all so sudden-- we've only known each other for five
lines-- and I'm just not ready to settle down yet...

> Oquenorean fan group...

SERVO: What's Oquenorean, Mike?
MIKE: I don't know.

> Date: 10 Sep 1994 07:01:40 GMT

CROW: Isn't this that bunch of guys who want to build a floating city in
the Carribean Sea?
MIKE: That's pretty obscure, Crow.

MIKE: I think that's the author's IQ.

> Sender: tfh...@eos.ncsu.edu (Tony Franklin Hill)

SERVO: [singing] Return to sender...

MIKE: Oh, I get it. The MESSAGE is fourteen lines. As for the header,
who knows.

CROW: [British accent] Moriarty, I think we've found our Charlie.

MIKE: I don't remember that verse being in the Bible...

> We

SERVO: FINALLY!

> here at Oquendorean headquarters are hoping to start new newsgroup
> all about Jose Oquendo,

CROW: And we're posting here because the connection between him and the
Goons is crystal clear.

> the great utility player for the St. Louis
> Cardinals.

MIKE: Are also hoping to collect definite articles for needy.
SERVO: [creepy voice] Newsgroup filthy. Requires special attention. Is
getting special attention...

> We expect a tremendous response.

CROW: In fact, I think I hear the lynch mob now.

> Everyone interested,
> please feel free to reply with comments, suggestions, etc.

SERVO: Hate Mail.
CROW: Flames.
SERVO: Chain letters.
MIKE: Mail Bombs.

> Please
> consider voting for this necessary newsgroup.

MIKE: Okay, I'll consider it. Hmmm... Nope, won't do it.
CROW: About as necessary as a hangnail.

>alt.fan.oquendo

SERVO: .die.die.die.

>tfh...@unity.ncsu.edu

MIKE: Well, it is the state that Jesse Helms is senator of, so maybe
this post might pass.

MIKE: Peace?
CROW: Not for Hill.

SERVO: Many line feeds died to make this post. Think about it, won't
you? Thank you.

> From cmcl2!panix!

MIKE: Isn't it a little late to start panicking?

> MathWorks.Com!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!howland.reston.ans.net!news.
> sprintlink.net!

CROW: I wonder when we're going to see Candice Bergen named spokesman
for the Information Superhighway.
MIKE: When it gets *built*, maybe?

> ns1.unicomp.net!usenet Wed Sep 28 14:18:02 1994

SERVO: Geez, we've gone through this already!

> From: Gl...@seeker.unicomp.net

CROW: Oh no, the Amazing Colossal Man has net.access!

> Newsgroups: alt.bbs.watergate,alt.bbs.waffle,

ALL: [singing] alt.bbs.waffle, we... love... you!

> alt.bbs.unixbbs,alt.bbs.pcbuucp,alt.bbs.pcboard,alt.bbs.majorbbs,alt.
> bbs.lists,alt.bbs.internet,alt.bbs.gigo-gateway,

SERVO: So, you think this is about BBSes?
CROW: This *is* BBS-- a bunch of bull...
MIKE: [warningly] Crow...

> alt.bbs.first-class,alt.bbs.doors,alt.bbs.allsysop,alt.bbs.ads,alt.
> barney.dinosaur.die.die.die,

CROW: Hey, what does that big dumb dinosaur have to do with computers?
SERVO: [superiorly] If you had a Mac you'd know about "Barney Blaster".

> alt.banjo,alt.backrubs,

MIKE: And the obligatory newsgroups that have nothing to do with the
topic, vital for any USENET post.

> alt.bacchus

SERVO: [Mr. Magoo voice] Oh, Mr. Magoo, you've done it again.

> Subject: PART TIME INCOME

CROW: I hope Ben Franklin's shadow doesn't turn up again! Yipe!

> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 94 15:23:45 PDT

MIKE: PDT?
SERVO: Pretty Darn Tasteless.
MIKE: Oh.

[Mike stands up and starts making strange gestures.]
SERVO: [low voice] Mike! What are you doing?
MIKE: [low voice] I'm miming a reply to the author.
SERVO: But you only need one finger to do that!

[Mike sits down.]

> NetManage

CROW: <sigh> GET ON WITH IT!

SERVO: No-ho-hoooo! Please! Not again!

> 1433 alt.bbs.pcbuucp:2668 alt.bbs.pcboard:4036 alt.bbs.majorbbs:4408
> alt.bbs.lists:7713 alt.bbs.internet:21431 alt.bbs.gigo-gateway:533
> alt.bbs.first-class:4881 alt.bbs.doors:496 alt.bbs.allsysop:7231 alt.
> bbs.ads:10217 alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die

MIKE: How about alt.lame-posts.die.die.die?

> :18080 alt.banjo:1081 alt.backrubs:4058 alt.bacchus:734
>

> FUN, TRAVEL & WEALTH AWAIT!

SERVO: [singing]: Come aboard... We're expecting you....

> Join me

MIKE: [Darth Vader voice] On the dark side of the Force.

> in an exciting membership that offers fabulous world
> wide vacations.

CROW: After you're caught, you'll see every federal prison!
MIKE: Might want to get that spacebar fixed.

> In addition, our members can purchase (for re-sale
> or to keep) name brand products at or near manufacturer's cost.

SERVO: Welcome to the glamorous world of wholesaling!

> Members also enjoy low cost group dental insurance, prescription
> drugs, vision care,

MIKE: Every week we'll mail you the entire contents of alt.startrek.
creative. If you can read through it all without getting bleary-
eyed, you have excellent vision!

> and emergency care flight!

SERVO: I'm REALLY going to enjoy that emergency flight to the hospital
after I'm in a car crash.

> There is even a
> unique & safe investment program that will teach YOU how to turn a
> $5,000 investment into millions.

MIKE: Yes, it's the wonderful world of counterfeiting!
CROW: [Struthers] Do you want to turn 5,000 dollar investments into mil-
lions? Sure, we all do!

> However, the best part of the
> membership, is that our members can: BE THEIR OWN BOSS

MIKE: I'm a lousy worker! I'm fired!

> AND EARN A
> LIFETIME RESIDUAL INCOME OF OVER $100,000 PER YEAR!!
>
> THIS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

SERVO: Is a figment of my imagination.

> REQUIRES NO INVENTORY INVESTMENT,

CROW: OR THE SENSE OF HEARING, EITHER!

> AND TAKES LESS
>
> THAN 1 HOUR PER MONTH TO DO!

MIKE: Just like washing Howard Stern's hair.

> ----THIS IS THE BEST "NO HASSLE" PART TIME BUSINESS EVER DESIGNED!----

SERVO: The only hassle.. is this post!

> Here are some highlights of this exciting part time business:

CROW: Highlights for Children.
MIKE: I think Goofus wrote this post.

> * Get started for less than $30!

CROW: And finish with less than $2!

> * No Inventory, No Paperwork, or Quotas!

SERVO: Or results!
MIKE: [singing] Not a single luxury...

> * Can do this from your home or apartment anywhere in the world!

SERVO: But what about condos?
MIKE: Yeah, and what if we're stuck up here in space?

> * THE INCOME POTENTIAL IS UNLIMITED!!

CROW: That is, *my* income potential!

> * The business will not interfere with anything you do now!

SERVO: Because you'll be broke and without a home for it to interfere
with!

> * No need to make phone calls, and it's totally discreet!
> * No need to bother friends or relatives!

MIKE: No calling circles!

> Company supplies leads!

CROW: Company puts lead in your water supply!
SERVO: That would explain their thought processes...

> * Earn Fabulous Vacations from the comfort of your home!

MIKE: Why is he trying to sell vacations to people who don't want to
leave their homes?

> * No Personal Selling Necessary, our system does the selling for you!

SERVO: In fact, we don't even need you! Forget it!

> * EASY TO EARN BIG $$$, anyone can do it!

MIKE: Even Dave Rhodes!
CROW: Even Mike Jittlov!

> * No meetings or presentations are necessary!
> * Rock-solid, long-term program that will produce a lifetime income!
> * YOU CAN MAKE MORE IN ONE MONTH, THAN WORKING ALL YEAR AT A JOB!

MIKE: Well of course, if that job is flipping burgers.

> If this sounds TOO GOOD to be true....

SERVO: Then you're a fantastic judge of character!

> YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO FIND OUT MORE!!!

MIKE: Hello, Better Business Bureau?

> FOR FREE INFORMATION,

CROW: Call Planned Parenthood now.

> & A $100 FREE TRAVEL GIFT.......

SERVO: Sure, that's, what, bus fare from Skokie to Peoria?

> Please send a stamped self-addressed, #10 envelope

CROW: Or a #2 pencil!
MIKE: Or a #9 dream!
SERVO: Help! I keep ending my sentences with exclamation points!
CROW: Oh, no! I've got it too!

> to:
> Glenn Quest

MIKE: I bet Race Bannon put him up to this.
SERVO: Help me! My 1 key is getting worn out!

> P. O. BOX 24469
> FT. WORTH, TX. 76124

CROW: Somebody!
SERVO: Help!
CROW: Get rid of the nasty exclamation-point Glenn beastie!

SERVO: Hey, this is the best part!
CROW: I know! It's my favorite bit so far!
SERVO: Yeah! THE END!
MIKE: Okay, that's enough with the exclamations.

> From cmcl2!yale.edu!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.
> sprintlink.net!uunet!psinntp!interramp.com!usenet Tue Sep 20 21:26:18
> 1994

CROW: spoo.mu.edu?
SERVO: Mmmmm... spoo.

> howland.reston.ans.net!news.sprintlink.net!uunet!psinntp!interramp.
> com!usenet

MIKE: It's deja vu time all over again, folks!

> From: kw...@panix.com

CROW: "Panix." Sums up my feelings about this short, perfectly.

> Newsgroups: alt.fan.goons

SERVO: Moriarty, put our poster's head in this forty-ton steam press for
a moment. PSST! THUD!

> Subject: WEIGHT LOSS GUARANTEED

MIKE: Do you want to bring the Internet to a standstill with a phony
weight loss program?
ALL: Sure, we all do!

> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 18:32:29 PDT

CROW: So Psi-Corps was behind all this spamming. I'm not surprised.

MIKE: Don't Panic!
SERVO: That says 43 lines, not 42.
MIKE: Picky, picky.

SERVO: So, "kw...@panix.com", care to explain that?

> NetManage

MIKE: Geez, the man's Speaker of the House for maybe four weeks and al-
ready he's muscling in on everything in sight...

CROW: Well?
MIKE: I don't--

> How

ALL: Yaah!

> I lost weight online!

CROW: By spending so much time on the dang computer that I never stopped
to have decent meals!

> If you're like me,

SERVO: And I know I am--
MIKE: Then your postmaster needs some talking to.

> you spend hours sitting in front of a computer, getting
> little exercise, and eating whatever happens to be handy. I knew that
> it
> wasn't healthy to be overweight and it certainly wasn't attractive.

SERVO: Look, pal, I was *built* this chubby. Now, please leave me alone!
CROW: But on the net, who cares?

> didn't think I had any alternative that would fit into my computer
> oriented
> lifestyle.

MIKE: "Computer oriented lifestyle"? What a geek.
SERVO: Ahem!

> Luckily, while cruising around the Net I came across someone who had
> been
> in my situation and had taken some herbal tablets as part of an easy,
> inexpensive, online program that produced amazing results.

CROW: Namely, death by starvation.

> Now I'm just as
> skeptical as you are,

MIKE: Oh, I doubt that.

> but when I learned that these herbal tablets contain
> combinations of natural, safe herbs whose dietary powers have been
> known
> for centuries, and that the easy to follow program comes with a 30
> day
> satisfaction guarantee,

SERVO: And that they worked wonders for some guy named Dave Rhodes...

> I decided to give it a try. After all, I didn't
> want meetings, public weigh-ins, or expensive special foods. I wanted
> lose weight online - Quickly, safely, and inexpensively... and keep it
> off!

CROW: [panicky] Keep it off me! KEEP IT OFF ME!

MIKE: Hey, any of you remember the BodyLink?
CROW: Ah, yes! "Your Link to Fitness, Health, and Well-Being." <chortle>

> The results were amazing.

SERVO: I actually *gained* weight from eating too many of the dang
herbs!

> Within a few days after starting the program I
> could feel the difference.

CROW: Within a few *more* days, I had to let out my belt five notches.

> I felt more energetic than I had in years, and
> I was actually eating less without feeling hungry. At last, I had
> control
> over my appetite. I began losing weight , and excess fat (inches).

MIKE: Suddenly, every male reading this article reconsiders.

> My
> usual cravings for junk food were becoming a thing of the past.

SERVO: Replaced by an addiction to the drugs contained in the herbs.

> I became
> totally satisfied with healthy low fat meals and snacks, which as a
> side
> benefit, are much less expensive than junk food.

CROW: If you consider steak to be junk food.

> I lost 26 lbs and 5
> inches

ALL: <ahem>

> around my waist.

SERVO: Oh.
CROW: As for the rest of me, it's still Goodyear Blimp city!

> I believe that this improvement will be permanent because I didn't
> change
> my lifestyle

SERVO: Sure-- huh?
MIKE: Care to run that one by me again?

> or rely on special diet foods. I just used the herbal tablets
> and they enabled my body to change naturally.

CROW: I mean, cyanide can't be bad for you 'cause it's natural, right?

> I hope you're as lucky as me, and try this amazing natural herbal
> program.
> Let me know how you do.
>
> For information on the amazing herbal tablet program, don't contact
> me,

MIKE: --as my own machine will have been buried underneath a pile of
hate mail--

> just email to the Company at: 693...@mcimail.com.

SERVO: Here at the Telephone Company, we serve all sorts of people, from
presidents and kings to the scum of the earth...

> Good luck!

CROW: You'll need it!
MIKE: Ah, that's too obvious.

> Date: 25 Sep 94 20:07:52 EDT
> From: Elizabeth L. Moore

SERVO: What's her middle name?
MIKE: Must be "Less".

> Subject: Very Important
> To: Eric D. Petitt, Kyle B. Teamey, Anil R. Doshi, Ann Marie Nee,
> Keith M. Zorn, Jeremy D. Gwiazda, Timothy R. Jezek, Trevor J. Hart,
> Ysabella L. Castro, Sixten F. K. Otto, John L. C. Maldonado, Rodrego
> A. Byerly

CROW: Wow, check out the subliminals in there: team, pet, knee, an--
[Mike clamps a hand over Crow's beak.]
SERVO: castr...
MIKE: [warningly] Tom...

> THIS IS NOT A HOAX!!

SERVO: This is swamp gas, or perhaps the planet Venus, but not a deli-
berate hoax.
CROW: [as Mike lets go of him] And there goes the Hoax Alarm.

> Since September 25, 1994, this blitz

MIKE: It's a ballroom blitz.

> has been traveling through the
> cyberspace of Dartmouth College,

SERVO: More of a cyber-niche, really.

> as well as the rest of the world.
> Everyone who has received it who has forwarded it to at least ten
> people has
> received at least $100 within the next week.

CROW: You'll just have to trust me on this one, since I'm writing this
*on* September 25...

> Everyone who has received it and ignored it has lost at least one limb
> within
> the next 24 hours.

SERVO: Oh, *I'm* worried!
MIKE: Wow, who's the poor sod who lost more than one limb?

> Here at Dartmouth,

SERVO: We like frenching.

> we study the nature of things,

CROW: 'Cause that David Suzuki is really hot!

> and one of those universal
> dilemmas we ponder is

MIKE: [thoughtfully] Where's the beef?

> whether our existence is determined by fate or free
> will.

SERVO: It's stumped philosophers for millenia, but we'll give you three
credit hours if you figure it out.
MIKE: I don't know about the rest of you, but none of what goes on here
was ever *my* idea.

> Here is your opportunity to prove the latter to the rest of humanity.
> The choice is yours.

CROW: Hey, quit coaching the panelist!

> Should you choose to accept the challenge,

SERVO: ...the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This
file will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim.

> you must
> forward this message in its entirety to at least 10 people, not
> necessarily
> Dartmouth students.

CROW: In fact, I can suggest a Radford University student who should re-
ceive all ten copies.
MIKE: Tonight, on "Not Necessarily Dartmouth Students".

> I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A CHAIN LETTER.

SERVO: I prefer to think of it as a link-o-gram.

> (and Goldsmith's speech at the
> Community at Dartmouth program was not PC).

CROW: What's is the Dartmouth program?
MIKE: Apparently, it's "Sending stupid email 101".
CROW: Just as long as it doesn't start another of those computer holy
wars...
SERVO: Never mind, we're outta here.

...o...2...3...4...5...6...*

[SoL bridge. Gypsy is busy doing something, heavens know what, and whis-
tling. She's wearing her "lipstick", false eyelashes, earrings, fancy,
um, dress, etc. The Mads light flashes.]

<>

[A TV screen can be seen atop the console, showing a frozen frame from
_What to Do on a Date_.]

FRANK: Saaay, what's with the outfit?

<>

GYPSY: Oh, it's just a little thing I wear around the house sometimes.
What's that you're watching?

<>

FRANK: [hastily turning the TV screen away] Uh... heh... just a... thing
that was on.

[awkward pause]

FRANK: You.. uh... like to watch... I mean you-- I mean, what are you
watching? Er, were watching? Uh, like to watch?

<>

GYPSY: Well, I like to watch "Sea Hunt"...

<>

FRANK: Uh, hey! Yeah! [terrible Lloyd Bridges impression] "By this time,
my lungs were aching for air..." But that Admiral Nelson! Is he
corny or what??

<>

GYPSY: I think he's cute.

<>

FRANK: *Cute*? Oh, give me a break! Why, he's... uh, hello? You there?

<>

[The SoL bridge is entirely empty. The commercial sign button flashes.]

[A family of plastic people are hiking in the woods and laughing at other
plastic people who don't have Duracell batteries. A horde of mutant hell-
beasts attacks, and only the family with Duracell batteries is able to
outrun them. They head for a ranger station, but it has already been ta-
ken over and fortified by the Energizer bunny. Ha ha, that good old
American humor!]