MSTed: 3A DATA ANNOUNCES FIRST ELECTRONIC BOOK

Petrea E. Mitchell

Dec 7, 1994, 7:00:56 PM12/7/94
Here's a little thing I found on a.c-e.n-a a couple hours ago. It's my
first solo MSTing. Was this a mistake?

> From cmcl2!panix!zip.eecs.umich.edu!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!caen!msunews!
> netnews.upenn.edu!dsinc!ub!csn!

MIKE: Sounds like the path is having an allergy attack.

> decwrl!pagesat.net!news.cerf.net!nic.cerf.net!not-for-mail Wed Dec 7
> 16:35:31 1994

SERVO: "not-for-mail"? What kind of a username is that?

> From: pete...@CERF.NET (Scott Peterson)
> Newsgroups: alt.current-events.net-abuse
> Subject: BOOK> 3A DATA ANNOUNCES FIRST ELECTRONIC BOOK: (fwd)

CROW: For the last time, it's a group *about* net.abuse, not *for* it!

> Date: 7 Dec 1994 10:55:26 -0800

MIKE: See that? See that? We got a cool pun on our own name in the
[All laugh stupidly.]

> [ Article crossposted from comp.internet.net-happenings ]
> [ Author was Gleason Sackman ]
> [ Posted on 7 Dec 1994 06:08:41 -0800 ]

SERVO: I wonder if he wears Stussy.
CROW: I bet he's wearing a poopie suit!
MIKE: Huh-- Crow!!
[Crow sniggers.]

> Subject: New Release

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CROW: So this is a release of some sort?
SERVO: Um... I'm not sure.

> December 4, 1994
>
> CONTACT: Stu Sjouwerman
> 3A Data

MIKE: How long before Paramount sues them for that, do you think?

> (813)-586-6363
> st...@pssi.com
>

> 3A DATA ANNOUNCES FIRST ELECTRONIC BOOK:
> 'HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON THE INTERNET... THE RIGHT WAY'
> VIA FIRST VIRTUAL MERCHANT BANK.
>
> The First Electronic Book on the Internet, written in the internet
> language of the future, HyperText Markup Language.

SERVO: <snort> <giggle>
CROW: Uh, right.

> Clearwater, FL -- 3A Data, a budding infopreneur

MIKE: "Infopreneur"? Who wrote this press release, Douglas Copeland?

> has
> released a unique new book that explains to Internet users
> how to use the Internet commercially, but how to stay within
> the 'netiquette', not get flamed and survive successfully.

SERVO: I'm parsing that as "not survive successfully". Somehow that
doesn't sound right.

> This new release is over 200 pages

CROW: Wait, they published a *printed* book in HTML?

> and goes into great
> detail what tools are available on the 'net to promote,
> advertise and deliver products and get paid for them.
>
> The intended public are small businesses and individuals

MIKE: Like Danny DeVito and Mickey Rooney.

> that are interested in selling (information) products on the
> 'net. One of the other unique features is that customers
> can actually inspect the book before they buy it.

SERVO: Wow, now there's something you can't do in bookstores-- huh?

> First
> Virtual allows to download the file, look at the book
> for a while, and then decide if the product is worth the
> price of US$ 9.95.

MIKE: Make sure you know the value of what you steal, that's what I always
say!

> The table of content of 'Make Money On The Internet...
> The Right Way' is as follows:

CROW: The table is bare.

> Introduction
> + You can do it Now!

MIKE: Right now! In the street!

> + What do you want?

SERVO: Who are you? How did you get into my house?

> ++ Internet Growth
> ++ What kinds of information can I sell?
> + Reports with valuable data

CROW: You can make a fortune from cracking any major MILNET site just once!
We'll show you how!

> + Shareware
> + Your own code
> + Other people's commercial programs

SERVO: Watch how the cash piles up when you don't have to pay those pesky
royalties!

> + Articles, Books, Poetry
> + Academic Research
> + Drawings, Maps, Plans, Blueprints
> + Video, Audio Clips, Music

CROW: Duck, Duck, Goose

> + TV Programming, Sound Recordings, News Footage

MIKE: Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe

> + Animation, Graphics files, Photo's

SERVO: Liberte, Equalite, Fraternite

> + Free information from Government Databases
> + An Old Time Golden Nugget: Newsletters!
> + And anything else that can be stored magnetically...

CROW: Like all those old notes stuck to your fridge.

> + What Not To Do.

SERVO: Don't get into a fight over whether to call Pepsi "pop" or "Coke".
CROW: Yeah, everyone knows you call it "swill".
MIKE: C'mon, guys, that wasn't funny to begin with.

> + 'Internet Culture and Netiquette'
> + Spamming

CROW: *Your* key to success!

> + Off Topic postings
> + 'Harvesting' email addresses
> + You will be sorry if you do it anyway...

MIKE: The saints will cry.

> + A counter-cultural example
> + What sells Online?

SERVO: Prodigy sells some of that, don't they?

> + Online Marketing
> + Marketing Defined as opposed to Public Relations
> + Marketing through Online Conferences
> + What Markets are there anyway, Local and International?

CROW: [British accent] Please segregate the sinful markets.
MIKE: [likewise] Wait! How many are there?
CROW: [again] Two.
MIKE: [ditto] It is not enough, I say! Go out and order some more!

> + You are an InfoMerchant (E-Publisher)

SERVO: (Dickweed)

> How to market your product?
> + Marketing Surveys
> + How and Where to Survey?

CROW: How to fix grammar!!

> + USENET
> + Internet Relay Chat

SERVO: [pitchman voice] Now, Frodo, before we start our game of Boogers,
I'd like you to have a look at this new product...

> + Newsletters
> + Internet Advertising
> + Advertising in the right market
> + Online Product Demo's
> + How Much Does It Cost?
> + The Classified Ads on the 'net and off the 'net

MIKE: Draped over your cat, and not draped over your cat.
CROW: Lining the birdcage, and not lining the birdcage.
SERVO: Folded into an attractive origami boat, and not folded into an at-
tractive origami boat.

> + The tools you have on the Internet

CROW: Are nonexistent.

> + Electronic Magazines on the 'net
> + Web Search Engines you can use
> + Cybersex
> + Internet Advertising Risks

MIKE: Remember, if you're going to advertise on the Internet, always use
proper precautions.

> + Examples of Winning Classified Ads

SERVO: "MAKE.MONEY.FAST" and others.

> + What really sells on-line?
> + How to do your research
> + Other people's successful actions
> + Internet's largest Classified Ad Market with 250,000 readers: MISC.FORSALE
> + How to Write a Headline that Attracts Attention

MIKE: To really get attention, be sure to mention at least two parts of
the body in your headline.

> + The Internet Killer App: Mosaic and how it will grow
> + Creating your own World Wide Web Home Page, and the cost of it
> + HyperText Markup Language HTML
> + Style Guides

SERVO: And thirty-one fun things you can do without reading them.

> + Other Introductory Documents
> + Additional References and WWW resources
> + Getting Your Orders in the Door
> + Via E-mail and emailing it back to your customer

CROW: An entire chapter on how to bounce mail?

> + Via First Virtual: Internet Information Clearinghouse

MIKE: You may have already won ten million virtual dollars!

> + Via DigiCash
> + Other Initiatives
> + Credit Card Payments
> + Setting the Price by Survey
> + The exact survey question
> + Selling a 100 for $24.95 or 100,000 for $ 9.95?

CROW: Oh, decisions, decisions...

> + Where to do a Pricing Survey?

MIKE: Somewhere fun, like alt.religion.kibology.

> + Your Legal Responsibilities

CROW: Whatever you do, it's all your sysop's fault, ha!

> + Create a Results Database
> + What sales data to track
> + Create Production Statistics and Graphs

MIKE: Take an economics course or something. Get a degree. Get a real job!

> + And Don't forget the BBSes!

SERVO: [scoldingly] Oh, no! You don't want to leave *them* out of your
reign of terror, do you?

> + How to put ads on BBS systems

CROW: Sneaking them in behind the sysop's back. It's fun!

> + BBSes that actively solicit your advertising
> + A very short manual on how to use your modem with BBS'es

SERVO: I'm guessing we're talking "short" as compared to the average Rob-
ert Jordan novel.

> + Repeat buyers cost even less to acquire!
> + What to do become a successful InfoMerchant and keep it that way?
> + Become a WWW expert
> + Keep your Web page attractive, change it regularly!

MIKE: Use lots of lip and tongue action!

> + Expand your activities with an e-zine
> + Set up an e-mailing List that your customers are on

CROW: Let the one time they indicated a vague interest haunt them forever!

> + Expand your activity with consulting for local companies that
> want to be on the 'net
> + Continuously survey for new products
> + Keep working on your PR and Promotion
> + Expand your viewpoint and continually try to play a bigger game

MIKE: Today foosball, tomorrow-- dwarf-tossing!

> + Make sure you are operating in an ethical way

SERVO: Sure, that's okay once you're established.

> + Work with the following Program For Success
> + Stay in touch with the 'net. Here is a link to over 1,000
> commercial sites!

CROW: Here is your own electronic death warrant to sign!

> + Jump on board NOW, in two years time this window of opportunity
> is gone.
> + If you did not pay for this copy...

SERVO: Then you've got what it takes to make a bundle on the infobahn.
Welcome to the club!

> + Internet InfoMerchant questions and answers
> + Glossary of Internet and World Wide Web related terms
>

> The First Virtual Internet Payment System is fully operational

MIKE: Almost two or three hours a week now!

> and provides the first link between the world of credit cards,
> banks, processing agents and the Internet, according to Lee Stein,
> president and chief executive officer. The merchant banking system
> uses existing technology to enable transactions to take place in an
> electronic marketplace where anyone in the world can now
> purchase or sell all kinds of electronic information, including text,
> images, audio, video, games or computer programs.

CROW: But the regulators should be able to fix all that.

> Information
> and directions for on-line registration are available over the Internet
> through both in...@fv.com and the World Wide Web, http://www.fv.com.
>
> 'First Virtual Holdings has created the launching pad for what we believe
> will become the world's largest and fastest

SERVO: Flop.

> growing cottage industry --
> the buying and selling of information on the Internet," according to
> Stu Sjouwerman, founder of 3A Data. Sjouwerman continues: 'We
> are the first InfoMerchant

MIKE: [snotty voice] We like to use the royal "We".

> to come out with an Electronic Book (E-Book)
> on First Virtual that fully covers the number 1 topic that interests most
> new Internet users:

CROW: Which way to the alt.sex groups?

> Commerce on the 'net, and how to do it without
> risks. In other words, how can I use my computer to generate a
> (second) significant revenue source'.

SERVO: Well, the hard drive makes an intriguing percussion instrument,
if you're interested in making an album.

> As a unique 'first', now through First Virtual, individuals, small
> businesses,
> multinational corporations and even the government can all take
> advantage of

CROW: You.

> this potential global market using their credit card via a
> completely safe, closed loop credit card payment system.

MIKE: Sure, it's just as safe as Clipper!

> 3A Data's
> new E-Book is the first book available through this new electronic store.

SERVO: For the first time.

> You can picture the First Virtual Infohaus

CROW: Aaaaah! Not if you're going to invent a word like *that* to de-
scribe it!

> as an electronic superstore, which
> can be accessed through e-mail, World Wide Web, including Mosaic, and FTP
> The First Virtual Infohaus holds information that InfoConsumers can browse
> and inspect.
>
> Information technology equipment and services are provided to FVH by
> Electronic Data Systems (EDS). EDS has operations in 35 countries
> and reported revenues of $8.6 billion in 1993.

SERVO: And because of the CEO's gambling habits, they still didn't turn
a profit!

> First USA Merchant
> Services, Inc., Dallas, will be the credit card processor for FVH. FVH
> plans to issue its own co-branded VISA card with several unique features,

MIKE: Have we said "unique" enough times for you yet, folks?

> including e-mail notification to confirm each completed transaction.

SERVO: Oh, great. Like my mailbox doesn't overflow quickly enough already.
CROW: That's what you get for using AOL.
SERVO: Hey!!

> First USA Merchant Services processed $17.3 billion in credit card sales
> during fiscal year 1994.
>
> Information and directions for on-line registration are available over
> the Internet

MIKE: And through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go.

> through both in...@fv.com and the World Wide Web, http://www.fv.com.
> Also more in depth information about the E-BOOK can be obtained by sending
> an email message to mo...@3adata.com. A Mailbot will answer immediately.

CROW: Well, that's not going to get you a lot of repeat customers-- oh, I
thought it said "Mailbomb".

> END.

SERVO: Yes! End! END!

> Warm Regards,

SERVO: <sniff> <sniff> You smell something burning?
MIKE: Yeah... kind of like sulphur... brimstone...

> Stu Sjouwerman
>
> 3A Data - PO BOX 1294, Clearwater, FL, 34617 Internet: s...@3adata.com
> -- = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

CROW: [laughs] What kind of InfoMerchant are you if you can't even forge
an auto-.sig correctly?

> = = = =
> 3A Data is a budding InfoMerchant offering reports and electronic books in
> the
> field of electronic marketing. We have just released a new e-book: Make Money

SERVO: Fast.

> On The 'NET...The Right Way. Send email to mo...@3adata.com for info & get
> an immediate mailbot response or check out the Infohaus at http://www.fv.com/
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = = = =

MIKE: Uh-huh?

CROW: Yes?

[Mike hums the Jeopardy "think music".]

SERVO: That's all. Let's get out of here.

Mystery Science Theater 3000, its characters, situations, merchandise,
and ninjas all copyright 1994 Best Brains, Inc. This MSTing not endorsed,
authorized, or supported by anybody. Not intended as a personal attack on
Stu Sjouwerman or 3A Data. This article may be freely distributed as long
as this paragraph remains intact.

--
/ <|> <|> <pr...@mvp.com> <pr...@gm.dev.com>
Petrea Mitchell ** GO NINERS ** <pem...@is.nyu.edu>
> You can picture the First Virtual Infohaus as an electronic superstore, which
> can be accessed through e-mail, World Wide Web, including Mosaic, and FTP
** Canter Siegel green cards spam ** Let's see 'em grep this, Sam-I-Am!

Clarinda Carrington

Dec 8, 1994, 5:28:35 AM12/8/94
In article <3c5ibo$f...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> pem...@acf3.nyu.edu (Petrea E. Mitchell) writes:
>From: pem...@acf3.nyu.edu (Petrea E. Mitchell)
>Subject: MSTed: 3A DATA ANNOUNCES FIRST ELECTRONIC BOOK
>Date: 8 Dec 1994 00:00:56 GMT

>Here's a little thing I found on a.c-e.n-a a couple hours ago. It's my
>first solo MSTing. Was this a mistake?

Definitely not!! Bravo! It's good for what ails ya!

Clarinda