MiSTing: Holodeck Series - part 2

Amanda Van Rhyn

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
[Continued from the last post. Sadly, it's not getting any better.]

> All of a sudden, Jenna bent down. A funny feeling was comming over her. It
> diddn't hurt, but it sure felt bad. What was going on?
> Lucky for Jenna, Katherine knew exactly what was going on. "Oh my GOSH..."
> shouted Katherine, who was now wide awake.
> "It's comming! Jenna's finaly gonna have the egg!"

(The bots are silent, looking up at the screen.)
CROW: Um... am I wrong, or are we about to see a Norn give birth?
TOM: (snuffles a little, then speaks clearly) You're right! The
stupidity has gotten so ridiculous that it snapped me out of my
self-pity! For the sake of myself, I have to go on riffing!
JOEL: Right on, homemade buddies! We'll make it yet! Let's take this
commercial break to prepare...

[Several ads for psychic hotlines and Toaster Strudel later...]

[Back in the Theater.]

TOM: Well, that commercial break was welcome.
CROW: We're sorry about that embarrassing incident, folks. Please
continue enjoying the MiSTing.
JOEL: Please tip your servers.

> -------

CROW: Boy, it sure is nice of this fanfic to give us these convenient
little punctuation breaks.

> "It's WHAT?!" said Susan, perking up.
> "It's comming!" shouted Katherine.

TOM: It's communicating?
JOEL: It's Communist?

> Jenna was now aware of what was happening because instints were kicking in. She squatted >down, closed her eyes and squeezed her gut. Out came the egg. It was that red kind with the >yellow slashes.

CROW: (Katherine) Yes, but is it incredible and edible?

> Katherine got closse to the egg. She touched it's hard, smooth shell. "Bet I can pick it up?" >She asked.
> "If you manage, I'll reactivate the egg so it'l hatch naturaly." replied Blip. Katherine grabbed > the egg and lifted. (With her legs and not with her back!)

JOEL: Why, thank you, fanfic, for that important safety information.

> & lifted. & lifted. She couldn't get the egg up, no matter what she did.
> "No wonder you can't pick them up in the game." commented Katherine.
> "That's because the mass in the egg is in a very condensed state." Blip praddled. "The fetus > is all squished, and the mass is just so great..."
> "OK, OK." sighed Susan. "We get the point. Can we leave it alone and sleep?"

TOM: (Blip) Yes. SLEEEEEEEEPPPPP!

> "We should." Blip answered. "The egg should hatch around 8 in the morning. We have >different forces and pressures on Earth than in Albia, therefore..."
> "Whatever." said Susan, who was too tired to be polite. She flopped on her back and shut >her eyes. Katherine looked at Jenna. She, like other females, had a gene in her body that made > them very tired after giving birth, so she was asleep in the corner.

CROW: So... all Norns have flagrantly useless genes causing them to do
stuff like leaving them and their eggs hopelessly unprotected after
laying.
JOEL: Yup! You got it!

> Rolling over on her side, Katherine fell asleep.
> /Crack, Crackle, Crik, Crik.../ Katherine woke up to the noises of a cracking egg. Susan >heard it too, and sat up. They both watched as a thin crackline formed around the egg. Then the > top half of the shell came off, and sitting inside was a baby boy. He had Purple mountain arms, a purple mountian body,

CROW: Purple Mounty-an? So he's a member of the RCMP?

> and a purple mountian head.

TOM: Everyone, meet Nornly Do-Right.

> He also inherited banana legs from his mother.
> "bub foo dat" said the newly hatched norn, tumbling out of his shell and crawing tword >Susan. Then he saw Katherine. "bub flib dis" he announced. Then his eyes wandered to Blip. >He wanted to foo dat, too. He sat down & said "bibble", out of utter confusion.

JOEL: Aww, put the thing out of its misery. One good stomp should do
it.

> "He needs a name." Said Blip, who had been behind them during the hatching prossess.
> "Hey!" Katherine quietly shouted. "Remember the GreNorn series?"

CROW: Uh, no. That's another fanfic series about these disgustingly
cute things, right?
TOM: Yeah, we were spared from that one.

> "Yeah." said Susan. "My favorite is where Karr fights Rrak an is reborn."
> "Really?" Blip replied. "I always liked the one where Phoenix is born."

JOEL: Thrill as they discuss their favorite fanfic in the middle of
another fanfic!
CROW: Tremble as they try to be overly hip with pop-Creatures-culture
references!
TOM: Quake as whatever small amount of action there was grinds to a
bloody standstill!

> "My favorite has always been where Karr's wife is reincarnated. But anyway, why not name > the baby Karr, in honor of the series? Jenna was a 10th generation norn, this baby is 11th, and I > like to name them in Alphabetical order... so he needs a K name anyway." Katherine >suggested.
> "Good idea!" said Blip.

ALL: (completely deadpan) Rah.

> "OK, so Karr has a name. Now we need to teach him." Susan blankly responded.
> "You doubt me?" replieed Katherine, who pretended to look surprized.

JOEL: (Katherine) But I'm God! I control who lives and who dies!
CROW: Hey... I had dibs on that!

> "To the living room!" Katherine picked up Karr & walked out of the room, with Blip, Susan & > Jenna behind her.
> In the living room, Katherine sat Karr down & then dug a floppy disk out from behind a >throw pillow, along with a few wires. Blip flew infront of Karr, & Katherine put the disk inside > Blip's A:/ drive. Blip's screen, usualy lit up with two green dots for eyes, was changed to the >same screen of the Learning computer.

TOM: Blip - now in SqueamishBot and DitsyBot versions!

> "Push" said Blip.
> "Foo" replied Karr.
> "Push" repeated Blip.
> "Pupu" Karr said, trying to repeat the word.
> "Push" said Blip, again.

CROW: Hey, fanfic! We get the idea! Get on with it!

> "Push" Karr responded, finaly getting it right.
> "Push" Blip said one more time, just for good measure.
> "Push" Karr replied with confedence.
> Blip and Karr kept at it, repeating and rerepeating, until Karr had learned all verbs, all drive > words, all nouns, and a new verb of Katherine's invention, "don't", which means, 'don't do what > you're about to do'.

JOEL: Did we *really* need to be told the definition of 租on't'?

> Jenna had been in the room, and had heard all of these words. She got to learn them too.
> "Now, Blip," said Katherine, "I'm going to hook these wires into Karr, and then to you. Tell > me the mutations." Katherine stuck one end of the wires into Karr's ear. Karr sat very still. >Then Katherine stuck the other end of the wires into Blip. "Read it off to me." She said.
> "Checking Geonme." Blip started. "Mutations... Whoa! What's this? There's some kind of >new gene... what it basicly says is that Karr can identify his mother, father, children and other >siblings from other norns."
> "Cool mutation! But why does that big of one show up now?" asked Susan.

JOEL: Welcome to Deus ex Machina World, Susan!
CROW: Have a lovely time, since everything will be perfect!
ALL: Better Fanfic Living through Plot Holes!!!

> "It diddn't just appear." replied Blip. "The file says that Karr got it from his mother." All >eyes turned to Katherine. She was notorious for hacking norns and making odd mutations, most > of which somehow turned out for the worse.
> "There's really two Jennas." Katherine started, knowing everyone wanted an explanation. >"The first one was naturaly bred, as usual. But I found her moniker, and hacked into it with the > Genetics Kit. I made the genes Blip described and made a clone with those genes. But it didn't > look like it worked real well. So I didn't tell anyone. It was suppost to keep norns from >inbreeding... and so far it has..."

(J&TB snicker.)

> "Gosh. And to think we would have had to wait for C2." Susan sarcasticly remarked.
> "I'll finish." Blip said, ending the issue. "Purple mountian genes present... That's about it."

CROW: Yay... he has the instinct for saving women from being tied to
railroad tracks!

> "Great! I'll just unhook you two..." Katherine said, while detaching the wires in Karr's ear. >Katherine then turned to Blip. She began unconnecting those wires, too. Jenna came tword >them both.
> "Push Computer." Jenna announced.
> "Hey!" shouted Blip.

TOM: (Blip) No... don't push computer *there*...

> He flew up above Katherine's head, causing Katherine to loose her grip. She toppled over.
> Susan had to pick Jenna up and hold her still while everyone got restuated.

JOEL: Hey, new word!

> But, after that, she noticed something rather important. "Where's Karr?" Susan asked. A quick > look around told everyone that Karr had excaped in the confusion.
> Karr had exaped to Katherine's room, unbenonst to everyone else. There, he saw an unusual > black platform. "Mover" he said. Then he crawled tword it. On his way, he tripped over a >switch marked "On/Off". An unusual humming filled the room. Karr decided to push the >mover.
> Meanwhile, in Albia, a grendel was in the garden.

CROW: Notice how they *never* use the controls to pause Creatures when
they're not there?
JOEL: Yeah, and the On/Off switches are just lying on the floor?
TOM: Once again, Better Living Through Plot Holes.

> There were no norns to beat, so he decided he would just munch some carrots and enjoy the >sunshine. He found a nice looking mover, and decided it would make a confortable seat. He sat > down, at the exact moment Karr pushed the mover on earth.
> Back in Katherine's living room, the trio (Forsome?)

JOEL: Ooh, kinky.

> were deciding where Karr had gotten to, when they heard some unusual noises.
> "What's that?" asked Susan.
> Jenna figured it out. "Run Grendel!" she shouted, with a horrified look on her face. She >started running. Katherine caught her and picked her up.
> "No, Karr couldn't of... no..." Katherine stuttered. She didn't believe it.
> "You didn't believe it when Jenna brought Jack to our world, either." Blip commented.

TOM: (Blip) In fact, you still seem to be having trouble with the Earth
moving around the sun.

> They all three realized they'd better check, knowing norns are capable of more than you can >give them credit for, so they ran down the hall to Katherine's room.
> Blip got there first. "Uh oh..." he choked. Susan, and Katherine, who was carrying Jenna, >got there next. They all three looked at Karr's experement. He had brought the Grendel to earth.

JOEL: (Count Floyd from _SCTV_) Ooooh, Scaaaaaaary, boys and girls.
CROW: Yeah, yeah, real scary. This is our break, right?
JOEL: Yupyup, mechanical boychik. Let's go.

[J&TB exit the Theater...]

[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]

(Scene: SoL. Tom, Crow, and Joel appear to be lounging around doing
nothing out of the ordinary.)

(Joel holds up a sign saying "Hi. The bots and I have decided to play a
little joke on the Mads by speaking entirely in Nornish.")

JOEL: Joel what.

TOM: Tom afraid. Tom get no fanfic. Run fanfic?

CROW: No. Crow push fanfic, Crow get yes riffs.

JOEL: Yes! Yes riffs! No fanfic!

(The Mads' light begins blinking. Joel holds up a sign saying "And
there are Pinky and the Brain now.")

TOM: Tom look viewscreen. Push?

JOEL: Joel push viewscreen. (He does. The Mads appear.)

(Scene: Deep 13. Nothing much appears to be out of the ordinary. Dr. F
and TV's Frank are standing around, much in the same way as J&TB.)

DR. F: Hello, my little space trash and organ donor. How goes the
experiment today?

(SoL) TOM: No! Run Mad! Run Fanfic!

JOEL: Joel hurt. Run Mad!

CROW: Run fanfic! No!

(Deep 13) DR. F: What is it now, boys? Been applying more Blue Star
Tattoos lately?
(To Frank, whispered) You know that stupid Norn game. Tell me what
they're saying.

FRANK: Well, Steve, it appears they're not fond of the fanfic.

DR. F: You galumphing gargoyle! I knew that! They're not suppose to
*like* the experiment, you ninny! Give me some more detail!

FRANK: They want to run from it... I'm sorry, Norn language doesn't
*have* much detail, ya know.

DR. F: I give up! I can't work with these people! (To J&TB) Go back to
your little hallucinogenic games, Joelsy-Poo. I've had enough for one
host segment.
(SoL. The Viewscreen blinks off.)

JOEL: Yes! Joel get yes!

BOTS: Yes!

(Joel holds up a sign saying "And now, back to our show.")

JOEL: We've got fanfic sign!!

[6]
[5]
[4]
[3]
[2]
[1]

(Scene: SoL theater. Our heroes get settled.)

> ----------

CROW: So, the tepid plot finally flatlined.

> "Katherine! I thought you left the 'Deck off this time!" Blip fussed.
> "I did... I really did! Karr must've tripped over the switch or something..." Katherine argued.
> The Grendel was totaly confued. He had never seen this part of the world before! And lo, a > baby norn, fresh for the beating!

JOEL: (Church Lady) Isn't that *conveeeeeeenient*.

> Confusion turned to joy as he edged closer to Karr.
> Jenna saw what was happening and jumped infront of Karr. "No!" she shouted, and gave the > Grendel a big smack. The Grendel shouted in pain.
> "Katherine," whispered Susan, "are you positive those genes didn't work?" Katherine stood >by awestruck. Her experement wasn't a total waste afterall! Jenna was showing signs of real >maternal instints.

CROW: No, more like absolutely no sense of self-preservation.

> "grah oooogh" said the Grendel. Was he going to let a wussy little norn beat the tar out of >him? He was made to be strong, while the norns had simply been bred to be cute! He punched > Jenna. Jenna cried out in pain and raised on her haunches. This made her really mad. There >was no way she was going to let him hurt her son.

JOEL: Jenna: mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

> She smacked him so hard, she fell over. So did the Grendel. The Grendel decided this was too > much trouble just for an easy smack on a baby norn, so he ran out of the room.

TOM: Deep Grendel thought there.

> Jenna gave a giggle.
> "Push yes grendel" she shouted triumphantly. "Grendel run norn"
> "Is it me," commented Blip, "or is this not a good sign of things to come?"
> "Who cares!" Katherine spasticly said. "That Grendel is loose in our house and we have to >find him."
> "Oooh, that's right." Susan replied.

JOEL: (Susan) Yeah, it's not just a part of my bad trip anymore.

> Meanwhile, the Grendel had wandered into the kitchen. He took a quick look around, and, >seeing no norns, decided that he might as well explore. He found a table, much like the one in > the kitchen in the hatchery. There, on the table, were a few small bottles. He picked one up, >opened it, and took a drink. It tasted a little like hootch, only different.

CROW: Am I really the only one who's ever had a problem with the phrase
壮imilar, only different'?

> He took several more drinks, and started to feel really good!

JOEL: The Grendel as Captain Trips!

> As he was (trying) to walk accross the floor, Someone else came in. It was Katherine's mom, >but the grendel didn't know that. He stood, looking at her. Would she hurt him? No, she didn't >hurt him. But she did make a very loud noise.
> "Is he in there?" Asked Blip. He and Karr were standing outside the bathroom.
> "Nope." answered Susan. "No sign of the grendel."
> Then they heard Katherine's mom shout. "KATHERINE! I WANT YOU RIGHT HERE, >RIGHT NOW!"
> Katherine poked her head out. "I think we found him" she said. Everyone got out of the >bathroom and filed into the kitchen.

TOM: Wait... there was a scene with the foursome in the bathroom, and
we didn't riff it. That was a great chance there, guys.

> Katherine's mom pointed to the Grendel. "What is that thing, and why is he drinking my >bourbon? I was going to make bourbon balls with it!"
> "Th-that's a Grendel, it's from Creatures." Katherine stuttered.
> "HOW did it get in MY kitchen?" demanded Katherine's mom.
> "M-My latest invention brought it here accidently. I-It's called the HoloDeck, and it links >Creatures to earth, so we can play with norns here...." Katherine explained. But she knew this >was not going to go well.

CROW: (Katherine's mom) Yeah, right. You just had too much cough syrup
again and painted the dog green, didn't you, Katherine? Honesty is the
best policy.

> Katherine's mom looked at Blip, then Susan, then Katherine. (Luckily, she didn't catch Jenna > or Karr, because they were hiding behind Katherine.) Then she calmly stated. "Get that >grondel, or whatever you called it, OUT of my ktichen. Then come back here."
> Katherine and Susan picked the Grendel up (It was so drunk, it didn't mind.) and carried it >to her room, silently. They then placed it on the HoloDeck, and beamed it to Albia.

JOEL: Tragically, two days later, the Glycotoxin and Antigen 6 they
caught from the Grendel killed them.

> Then, they locked the norns inside Katherine's room and marched into the kitchen once more, > awaiting their fate.
> When they got there, they overheard Katherine's mom on the phone. "Right, 111, Firebrook > road. Patient's name, Katherine Riggs. Reason? Creatures Addict. You handle those cases, >right? You've done plenty of them? Good. G'bye." Then Katherine's mom walked into the >kitchen. "Katherine," she said, "I hate to do this, but you leave me no choice.

TOM: (sympathetic-sounding announcer) If you don't get help at Charter,
please, get help somewhere.

> You need to get over Creatures! I called the insane asylum. They're comming over to pick you > up."
> Katherine didn't believe what she heard. "You-YOU'RE SENDING ME TO THE FUNNY >FARM?" She shouted.

ALL: (spoken) Yeehaw!
CROW: (Katherine, singing) They're going to take me away, ha ha!
JOEL: And on that happy note, a word from our sponsor!

[Sorry about the bad formatting... t.b.c. in the next post.]

Amanda Van Rhyn

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
After some gentle critiquing over the host segment in this part of the
fanfic, and after thinking it over myself, I've decided to completely
change it. Tell me what you think of the new host.

--

(Scene: SoL. Tom is standing in front of a rather large, UNIVAC-looking,
beeping-things-and-blinkenlights computer. In the center of it, a sheet

JOEL: Uh, Tom, what's that?

TOM: Oh, it's my Utterly Freaky Fanfic Destructionness Analyzer! UFFDA
for short. I willed it into being with my all-powerful robot mind (We
can see Joel rolling his eyes at this) for use with today's fanfic!
Ta-da!

(Tom takes off the sheet. A complicated-looking display, with a pie
chart and brightly colored lights, is revealed. Needless to say, it's
done in classic Best Brains cheesy special effect style. Would you
expect anything less?)

CROW: This is nice. What does UFFDA do again?

TOM: Oh, glad you asked. Basically, if fed a copy of a fanfic Dr. F
will send us, it will give a reading on its potential damage to our
psyches by analyzing several crucial standbys of bad fanfiction! Which
are: (Tom points out a specific colored light to go with each of these)

Incorrigible pseudoscience and tech-talk!
Logically implausible self-insertion, featuring godlike self-insertion
characters!
Complete and utter overworship of the topic!
Pointless and illogical crossovers, possibly into several worlds at
once!
Sequelization or sequelization potential!
Rapid-fire fourth wall breakage!
And finally, the Ratliff Factor: Ludicrous spelling and grammar errors,
with no explanation or one such as 'This is a good story, all spelling
errors are to be ingored!'

(We cut back to Joel and Crow. They look suitably impressed.)

JOEL: Wow, that's really something, Tom. I'm impressed. Why don't you
ever come up with anything like that for the Exchanges?

TOM: Let's not get into that. For now, let's use UFFDA to analyze the
HoloDeck Series! Joel, the paper feed?

(Joel, as the only one who can reach it, throws a hard copy of today's
fanfic inside the machine. We can hear several things: whirring,
grinding, something going 'sproing', and ants scuttling about. Within 30
seconds, the machine spits out a small printed card onto a tray. Crow
picks it up.)

CROW: Mind if I read? Ahem... "Run. Away. Now. Save. Yourselves."

TOM: Uh oh. UFFDA is never wrong. I got a *baaaaaaad* feeling about
this...

JOEL: Aiee! No time to think, we've got fanfic sign!!

--

- Amanda... I love the smell of rewrites in the morning...
MiSTie # N/A (I don't do fan clubs well)