Mosley interview (side one)

David Romas

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

This newsgroup message is a copy of the transcript of "side one" of the
fifty-minute audio program _CONVERSATION PIECE: In Touch With Roger E.
Mosley_ Converting the transcript to ASCII has messed up alot of the
original (nice and neat) layout and has made this version difficult
to read. But you always can get a hard copy of this document (which
includes photos and added news clippings) along with a copy of the
audio program itself! Just ship the 60-minute audio cassette of your
preference along with $5.00 (international = $10.00) payable to
David Romas.

David Romas
Magnum Memorabilia
4417 Second Ave #110
Detroit, MI 48201 USA

Magnum Memorabilia is the nonprofit fan organization for Magnum, P.I.
All charges requested for all goods and services merely cover
copying and postage expenses.

_CONVERSATION PIECE: In Touch With Roger E. Mosley_

Program Transcript.

Interview. 3/1/97. 7:00 pm.

On the set of the play _Family Love_ on the stage of Detroit's
Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts.

Participants: Roger E. Mosley
David Romas
Joanne Miyamoto
Chris Turner

_Side One_

[Cue Stevie Wonder's "Conversation Peace"* and lower to run under studio
voice-over insert . . . .]

ROMAS: Hi there. This is David Romas speaking to you from Magnum
Memorabilia: Magnum, P.I.'s nonprofit foundation for collecting,
production, scholarship, and fan services. Today we at Magnum
Memorabilia are very pleased to be able to bring you a conversation
with the actor known to Magnum fans as helicopter pilot Theodore Calvin.
Of course, it's Roger E. Mosley, who, in the Spring of 1997, guest
starred in the world premiere of the hit play Family Love on stage at
Detroit's Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts. I had the good
fortune to catch up with Roger on the evening of Saturday, March
first, right out on the set of his play during his break between the
matinee and evening performances.

Through some communication and media connections in the city, I had
gotten word a couple days earlier that Roger was going to be in
Detroit and so contacted the person handling publicity for the play,
Christopher Turner, and quickly arranged this meeting.

As I walked out onto the set with Chris and my friend Joanne
Miyamoto who was accompanying me to the play that evening, I
didn't realize that Roger and Robert Douglas, the play's
producer/writer/director, already were there. I remarked that it was a
nice touch to have our meeting take place on the set. In that
excellent, deep voice we're all familiar with, Roger boomed, "You're
in SHOW business now, boy!" We shook hands, everyone introduced
themselves, and we got underway.

Despite being in between back-to-back performances and being half
out of costume and heavy with aging makeup (he was playing a
character some twenty years older than himself), Roger was quite
relaxed and at ease, quick with his wit, and extremely giving of his
time and enthusiasm. I found him to be eager to discuss a variety of
aspects of the Magnum series and I was flattered to hear that he was
impressed with my work in the Magnum fan community . . .

[Topic: Scholarship and the Internet]

ROMAS: One of the things I keep an eye on and sort of participate in is
the academic work that's being done on the series. My sense is,
more and more the series has started to be looked at by television
scholars who have research perspectives that they'd like to apply to
the series, or just research "arenas," if you will, that they want
to bring the series into and evaluate it in terms of scholarly
criteria and things like that.

MOSLEY: [Chuckles]

ROMAS: It's interesting. Over the last five or six years, I've come
across quite a tidy little bit of academic publishing that's being
done using the Magnum series.

MOSLEY: Really? I didn't know it was on the Internet and my girlfriend
ran across it just two months ago. She came up with all this
information and research and stuff you'd done on the characters and
everything. It was amazing to me.

ROMAS: One of the things she may have grabbed off of the Internet is a
copy of the Online Episode Guide that I had the pleasure of being
part of the production of. We have a typical episode guide with
brief synopses of the plots --

MOSLEY: Yeah!

ROMAS: After the synopses for each episode, I wrote little fan facts,
you know, like character traits and things.

MOSLEY: Is that you? You got all that information? Yeah, the shows that
I directed and ones that I wrote and stuff like that.

ROMAS: "Missing Melody."

MOSLEY: Yeah, that was interesting.

[Topic: Costuming/Props kept from MPI]

ROMAS: Now, I learned that I was going to get this opportunity, thanks
to Chris, just in the last day and a half or so. But I had a chance
to talk with some of the other Magnum fans that are affiliated with
my organization and some people supplied some questions that they
wanted to ask. And one of the things that came up was: did you get to
keep any of the items from the series?

MOSLEY: Oooh.

ROMAS: Any Island Hoppers T-shirts, a copy of the Team Ring, that sort
of thing?

MOSLEY: Yeah. We got all the rings that we wore on the show.

ROMAS: Oh yeah? Each of you got to keep those.

MOSLEY: Rings, watches, shirts. And the answer to the next question is:
between all these charities and everything, they're all gone. You
know, everybody asks "Can you send us an item from the show? Can
you send us?" To auction off at celebrity auction this, celebrity
auction that.

ROMAS: Yeah.

MOSLEY: So now, ten years later, we don't have -- I can't think of
anything I've got left. [Laughs]

ROMAS: [Laughs] Well, that's good, though.

[Studio voice-over insert]

ROMAS: It can be very good. Celebrity auctions tend to raise enormous
amounts of money for needy charities and medical research in the
fights against various diseases. They represent a vital way in which
popular television programming can have a positive impact on
communities and society.

In fact, in the summer of 1988, not long after Magnum, P.I. finished
it's production run, Tom Selleck and a couple of the show's
producers appeared at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. where a select
few of Tom's mementos from the series were inducted into the
Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History. The series
was being recognized for its early '80s, ground-breaking, supportive
treatment of Vietnam War Veterans -- another way in which television
can have positive
impact.

Of course, for the fans, the vitality and impact of Magnum, P.I.
didn't stop with the end of the television series . . .

[Topic: Fanmail / Resurgence of the series]

MOSLEY: Yeah, well, they're still writing. I get more fan mail . . .
it's like there's been a resurgence of the show. Alot of college
students now come up . . . alot of kids . . . since in most cities
it comes on twice a day . . .

MIYAMOTO: It does here.

MOSLEY: . . . with all the cable hook-ups.

ROMAS: Yeah.

MOSLEY: So, I'm getting a whole new group of people just coming up. I
can tell it's because they're starting to look at it as a new show
to them.

[Topic: Favorite Episode]

ROMAS: One of the folks I talked to today wanted to know, what was your
favorite episode?

MOSLEY: Well, obviously, okay, take the obvious ones out, the ones that I
wrote and directed. But the one that stands out is the one that we
did about the Christmas show where the helicopter broke down on this
island.

[Studio V.O. insert]

Romas: The episode is titled "Operation: Silent Night"

[Insert clip from "Operation: Silent Night."]

* * * * * * * * * *

RICK: What's wrong with this thing?

T. C.: I don't know. It could be the excitor. Could be the points.

THOMAS: Hey, why don't ya bang on it with a ball-peen hammer like you did
that time in Bin Loc? It started right up!

T. C.: Because it might not be the excitor. I only got one shot with
that thing. If we make a mistake, we could melt the whole engine
down.

RICK: Melt the engine?

T. C.: Yeah. And then it could be the voltage regulator. It could
be the battery. It could be the ignition. It could be the starter
button. I don't know. I gotta check everything. This could take --

HIGGINS: Days. What a marvelous challenge: just the four of us against
the elements, survival of the fittest.

RICK: What are you talking about? What elements?

HIGGINS: Man against nature, civilization versus --

RICK: Higgins, this is not a boy scout overnight! We're trapped on an
island that's used for gunnery practice! We're all gonna die here!!

* * * * * * * * * *

MOSLEY: And we had so much fun because we literally went to the back of
the island and we stayed there. We stayed there, like, maybe three or
four days and shot that. And there was nobody but us, the
principals. And all the rest of the stuff was shot "second unit,"
you know, about the boat and the guys planning to bomb the island
and stuff like that. The four of us worked that whole show. And we
were sort of isolated.

[Insert clip from "Operation: Silent Night."]

* * * * * * * * * *

RICK: Look! Footprints! Holy cow, a peg-leg.

THOMAS: That's not a peg-leg, it's a, uh.

RICK: What? What has one left foot and a stick for the right?

T. C.: Robinson Crusoe?

THOMAS: C'mon. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all this.

T. C.: [Imitates a gruff, pirate's voice.] Aye! Pirates, me
hearties! Heh, Heh.

RICK: Or cannibals.

THOMAS: Are you guys both going crazy? There are no pirates, or
cannibals on this island. There is nothing on this island, nothing!

T. C.: [In pirate voice] Aye. Then where is Higgins?

RICK: Probably simmering in a pot right now. We better find him and
find him fast.

T. C.: [Pirate voice] Hah, hah! Hah, hah!

* * * * * * * * * *

MOSLEY: Well, that was my favorite show, that one right there, 'cause we
went around Turtle Bay. And, uh . . .

ROMAS: It's a great one. The cast -- the principal group there --
really comes together strongly in that episode, particularly the
relationship between T. C. and Higgins. There's kind of a scene
there where the two characters are out on the beach and Higgins is sort of
having trouble with the fact that Magnum and, to some extent, Rick
are sort of questioning his -- he perceives himself as the leader of
the survival effort. And T. C. and he have sort of a moment there
which is nice character development.

MOSLEY: He builds a boat and goes marching out . . . [Chuckles]

ROMAS: Yeah, right.

[Insert clip of T. C. and Higgins in "Operation: Silent Night."]

* * * * * * * * * *

T. C.: Jonathan, it was a great try. It didn't work. So what?
We're still gonna get outta here.

HIGGINS: Perhaps you're right. Carry on and all that.

T. C.: There you go.

HIGGINS: You called me Jonathan.

T. C.: Yeah, I did, didn't I?

HIGGINS: Quite. Well then, let's get on with it.

T. C.: Beg your pardon?

HIGGINS: Supper, man. The human body cannot function without proper
nourishment. I've collected some rare vegetation which I think
you'll find quite delectable, very similar to that cultivated in
remote parts of Borneo. I was there, you know.

T. C.: [Laughs.]

* * * * * * * * * *

[Topic: Keeping up with the cast.]

ROMAS: Well, let me ask you this: How do you keep up, or do you keep up
with the other cast members? Do you guys sorta keep in touch?

MOSLEY: It's hard. It's hard. I actually have to take my finger and
dial the phone. You know? I have to go to the gym and work up to get
that strength . . . .

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MIYAMOTO: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: Uh, I went . . . I talked to Larry since I've been here.

ROMAS: No kidding?

MOSLEY: Yeah. And every time Tom gets somewhere his dimples get dirty I
have to clean 'em out.

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MIYAMOTO: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: And John is just, [Imitates John Hillerman's voice] "Oh, my god.
Roger, I'm moving. Are you coming by to see me before I move?"

ROMAS: Coming by to help him move, probably!

MOSLEY: No. No. Are you crazy?! [Laughs] No, he was selling the house
and he brought me by, you know, he called up, wanna come by and see
the house before he moves out to Lake Arrowhead.

ROMAS: Oh yeah?

MOSLEY: We are in touch all the time, all the time. Now that John's in
Arrowhead, though, we can't . . . I mean, you have to go get a real
good Indian friend and you have to do smoke signals, you know.

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: That's the only way to contact him. He's up there, boy.

ROMAS: One of the places where the fans sort of gather online is on the
Magnum, P.I. newsgroup on the Internet and recently, in the last
couple of months, Jeff MacKay has started hanging out around there.

MOSLEY: Really?

ROMAS: And he's posting, you know, telling us about insider things
having to do with the series back, you know, when he was working on it
and he says that every once in a while he gets together with John and
they play golf.

MOSLEY: John Hillerman?

ROMAS: Yeah.

MOSLEY: Okay, you get online and you tell Jeff MacKay I said that is a
total fabrication!

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: You tell him you talked to Roger Mosley in Detroit and he says if
he can produce a picture of John Hillerman with a golf club I will
give him five thousand dollars!

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: Now, he'll go get . . . he'll make John stand there [Imitates
Hillerman again] "I have no idea --." I mean, John is "Mr.
Leisure."

ROMAS: And even golf is too much work, eh? [Laughs]

MOSLEY: Golf? Golf?! John Hillerman? Golf?!

ROMAS: It's too much, huh?

MOSLEY: No, no, no. Here's the only thing that Jeff MacKay could've
meant: that up at Arrowhead there's a golf course that John watches
him drive by on out his window!

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: John with a golf club? I would pay to see that. I would pay to
see that. John is the most un-athletic person. But he loves to
watch gymnastics and stuff on television. He could probably tell you
everything that happened in the Olympics.

[Topic: Conan O'Brien's show.]

ROMAS: I saw your appearance on the Conan O'Brien show . . .

MOSLEY: Oh, yeah. [Laughs]

ROMAS: [Laughs] . . . about a year and a half ago with Larry Manetti.
And the skits that you guys did were hilarious.

MOSLEY: We had so much fun.

ROMAS: Those were great.

[Insert clip from Conan's second skit.**]

* * * * * * * * * *

CONAN (HIGGINS): Oh, no! It's starting again. I can't let this happen.
I will not let this happen!

ANDY (THOMAS): What's with him?

HIGGINS: I trust you have your affairs in order, Magnum.

THOMAS: Higgins, a gun?

HIGGINS: How nice of you to notice. This is one mess of yours I'm
going to enjoy cleaning up!

MANETTI (RICK): Not so fast, Higgins! Don't worry, Thomas, we'll watch
your back.

THOMAS: Man, am I glad to see you guys.

MOSLEY (T. C.): C'mon, Higgie-baby, give us the gun! Here you go, Thomas.

THOMAS: Thanks! What do ya say, guys? We've been waitin' to do this
a long time.

TM/TC/RICK: [Blast away at HIGGINS with their pistols.]

HIGGINS: Oh! I've been killed!

RICK: One more time.

T. C.: Yeah! Yeah!

[They blast away some more.]

T. C.: [Shouts.] That's for them damn dogs!

THOMAS: Well, guys, case closed!

* * * * * * * * * *

MOSLEY: In fact, they called Larry up out of the clear blue sky and said
they wanted to do something, would he be interested and did he
think he could get anyone else. He says "Well, I have no idea how you
can get Tom there," because, at the time, Tom was doing a movie. "I
know Roger will do it," he said. "And John," he said, "unless . . .
you're talking about going to New York in the cold?" He says, "I
don't think I can get John to leave . . .

ROMAS: [Laughs]

MOSLEY: . . . out of there to go to New York in the cold weather." So he
and I decided we would go do it. And we made up something and we just
had a ball. Had a ball.

[Insert clip from Conan's first skit.**]

* * * * * * * * * *

CONAN: Hey, guys!

ANDY: Hey, guys! How are ya? Nice to meet ya!

T. C. / RICK: [Both mumble half-hearted greetings.]

ANDY: How ya doin'? I'm Andy.

CONAN: Hi! Yeah, hey, cool! How are ya? So, isn't it great here in Hawaii?

T. C. / RICK: [They pause, look around. It's actually New Jersey!]

T. C.: Yeah . . . Hawaii . . . great.

CONAN: Yeah! So are you guys in the middle of investigating some crime
or something?

ANDY: Yeah!

RICK: [Pauses] Yeah, we're investigating a crime. Trying to catch
some bad guys.

ANDY: Can you tell us about it?

CONAN: Yeah!

ANDY: . . . the crime? . . . the bad guys?

RICK: Top secret.

T. C.: Yeah, that's right. Top secret.

CONAN: Uh . . .

ALL: [There is a long, awkward pause.]

CONAN: So, ah, I guess you guys need to get back to chasin' those bad
guys, huh?

ANDY: Yeah!

T. C.: Uh . . . yeah. Rick, we better go get the helicopter.

* * * * * * * * * *

[Topic: Hawaii]

MOSLEY: You ever been to Hawaii?

MIYAMOTO: My sister lives there.

MOSLEY: Oh, your sister lives there?

ROMAS: As a matter of fact, I just had the pleasure of going over in
January to present a paper that I wrote on the Magnum series at an
academic conference of the Popular Culture Association. And while I
was over there on Oahu I stayed with Joanne's sister.

MOSLEY: Oh.

ROMAS: Her sister was very kind to put me up while I was there.

MIYAMOTO: And you met the Set Director.

ROMAS: Yes. I don't know if you remember Rick Romer?

MOSLEY: Yeah.

ROMAS: He was Lead Set Designer for about four years. I met Rick Romer
while I was over there. I met Margaret Doversola . . .

MOSLEY: Yeah! Margaret?

ROMAS: . . . and Tammy Hasegawa out at the studio.

MOSLEY: I'll be darned.

ROMAS: They allowed me to come into the Diamond Head facility there and
go through their storage areas and check out all the stuff that's
still there from the Magnum series.

MOSLEY: You saw mockup helicopters and stuff?

ROMAS: Didn't see any mockup -- I saw things like the surf-ski that
Magnum used to work out on, you know. I found some photographs of
the Island Hoppers chopper in flight that had been used to decorate
your office set. They took me through the sound stage and
everything's clear now but Rick showed me, imaginary you know, where
things had been: Higgins' study, Magnum's guest house. He sort of
painted the whole picture for me walking through the studio. And I
also went around and checked out some of the location places like the
Makai Pier that they used as the Island Hoppers headquarters and Ms.
Anderson's estate that they, you know, did the outdoor scenery for Robin's
Nest. Went around to the three different locations that they used
as the King Kamehameha Club. And just had a ball. And this was all
in my spare time outside of my academic, you know, I had some
academic things that I had to get done there like presenting my paper and
hob- knobing with other pop culture scholars.

[Topic: Guest Stars]

ROMAS: How about guest stars? The show had some pretty notorious, if
you will, guest performers -- you know, like Frank Sinatra, Angela
Lansbury -- over the years. Who stands out for you as the most
awesome person that the series brought over to work with?

MOSLEY: Carol Burnett, probably.

ROMAS: Carol?

MOSLEY: Toss-up between her and Ernest Borgnine . . .

ROMAS: Oh, yeah.

MOSLEY: . . . as far as I was concerned. Well, then I have to throw in
Roscoe Lee Browne 'cause he was just great. Just his whole attitude
when he came and his whole . . . just his whole involvement and
everything was just great.

ROMAS: Okay, now, I'm blanking on placing him.

MOSLEY: Roscoe Lee Browne?

ROMAS: Yeah.

MOSLEY: Remember, he came on . . . he was the butler of, um, what's this
actor's name?

ROMAS: Oh, in the black and white episode?

MOSLEY: No, it was a color episode. He was the butler of this guy who
kept faking his death.

ROMAS: Oh! Yes.

MOSLEY: And we had a big costume ball where we all dressed up.

[Studio V.O. insert]

ROMAS: The episode is called "Of Sound Mind."

[Insert clip from the costume ball in "Of Sound Mind."]

* * * * * * * * * *

BROWNE/
CARLETON: Mr. Magnum.

THOMAS: [Greeting guests in a suit of armor. The visor on his helmet
keeps falling down over his face.] Hello. Hello. So glad you
could come.

CARLETON: Oh, Mr. Magnum, I knew we should not have oiled this visor.

T. C.: [Enters dressed as a French Royal. Greets everyone in French.]

CARLETON: [Replies in French.]

T. C.: [Inquires in French whether Thomas likes his costume.]

THOMAS: [Replies in French that he does.] Oh, and it's so good to see
her majesty!

RICK: [Enters dressed as the queen to T. C.'s king!]

THOMAS: You look divine, just divine!

RICK: [Points angrily at T. C.] He said that he'd get my costume for
me. I'm not gonna forgive him for this!

T. C.: [Makes a ribald comment in French and asks if Thomas agrees.]

THOMAS: Oui!

RICK: You'll pay for this. You will pay for this! You'll BOTH pay for this!

OTHERS: [Burst out laughing.]

* * * * * * * * * *

ROMAS: . . . is his British -- ?

MOSLEY: Who?

ROMAS: Roscoe. Is his British accent real?

MOSLEY: Yeah, he had a British accent. No, Roscoe, he's from New York.

ROMAS: Oh, he is. Okay. See I'm not familiar with his work so I didn't
know whether he really was British. Because he, you know, plays a
British accent in that episode.

MOSLEY: No, Roscoe Lee Browne falls in there with James Earl Jones and
Sydney Portier and all of those . . . a very well-respected,
Shakespeare, stage, the whole works.

[Insert clip from "Of Sound Mind."]

* * * * * * * * * *

THOMAS: Oh, Carleton, this is Higgins. He's sort of the Major Domo
around here. Higgins, this is Carleton. He's my . . . friend.

CARLETON: Oh, you don't have to make excuses, sir. [To Higgins.] I'm
Mr. Magnum's man servant.

HIGGINS: [Bursts out laughing.] Oh, really, Magnum, the lengths you'll go
to for a joke! How did you acquire this man servant?

THOMAS: I inherited him.

HIGGINS: [Laughs.] Oh, yes of course, the will! I suppose you inherited
the entire MacLeash fortune.

THOMAS: Just about.

HIGGINS: [Chuckles.]

T. C. / RICK: [Enter the guest house.]

RICK: Congratulations, old buddy!

T. C.: Ha! I always knew my boy would make good! Ha, Hah!

HIGGINS: Perfect, the supporting players. You can finish the performance,
however, without the audience. I have more important things to do
--

CARLETON: [Hefting one of Magnum's suit cases.] I say, Higgins, if
you're leaving just now, would lend a hand? There's a good chap.

HIGGINS: What?

CARLETON: I say, but I would appreciate a little bit of brotherly assistance.

HIGGINS: If there is the slightest validity to what I am witnessing, I can
now be certain that our creator is not only indifferent . . . He is
cruel!

* * * * * * * * * *

[Topic: T. C.'s traits]

ROMAS: One of the other things that I was personally curious about is:
I've collected alot of the press releases and other things that have
been published on the series from the early years when it was just
getting underway and some of the reports that I have indicated that
all four of you, actually, had a fair amount of input into the directions
that your characters went and the characteristics that were shaped
into your individual characters. And so I was wondering what
were some of the things about Theodore Calvin that were supplied by
you . . . that you actually, you know, made sure were part of him?

MOSLEY: Number one is that, when the show was initially started, I was
supposed to have a struggling, fledgling, financially strapped
helicopter business. And I refused to be the only black person in
Hawaii and be broke. And they reversed, they decided Tom would be
broke and I would be financially well off. Except I was always bailing
him out.

ROMAS: It played . . .

MOSLEY: So that was my contribution.

ROMAS: . . . really well.

MOSLEY: Another contribution was making the character from Grambling.

ROMAS: That was one of the aspects of him that I was going to ask
directly, if the Grambling background was your . . . .

MOSLEY: Yeah, that was definitely my input.

ROMAS: He was a teetotaler. Was that . . . ?

MOSLEY: That was definitely my input. And he read alot. If you go back
over alot of shows . . . research had been submitted to me that very
seldom did you find black characters portrayed in anything;
television, film, whatever, where they appeared to desire
knowledge. Never showed them with a book or reading anything.

[Insert T. C.'s poetry reading from "Paradise Blues." T. C. and Alexis
Carter are flying in the chopper.]

* * * * * * * * * *

ALEXIS: Where are we going?

T. C.: To see the sun come up over Paradise. [Pauses.] And usually
this is where the music and the poem begin.

ALEXIS: What poem?

T. C.: Oh, it's just . . . just something I read and put to music.

ALEXIS: Yeah?

T. C.: Yeah.

ALEXIS: Well, c'mon, I wanna hear the poem.

T. C.: Oh, c'mon, I don't have a voice like James Earl Jones or
nothin'. I can't --

ALEXIS: C'mon! I wanna hear the poem.

T. C.: Okay . . . The glory of the day was in her face
And the beauty of the night was in her eyes
And over all her loveliness, the grace of morning
Blushing in the early sky.

* * * * * * * * * *

MOSLEY: So my character read and did not drink. When we did the pilot,
they had one scene with me talking to him and I'm holding a beer
bottle.

ROMAS: Yes, and it's the only time in the whole eight years of the show
that T. C. is shown drinking, as far as I know.

MOSLEY: Right. And I'm inviting him to come and why I had it there I
don't know. And so after that, when the show got picked up, I told
them "If we continue on the show, my character doesn't drink, ever.
And I was surprised at how many times that became an issue with
directors.

ROMAS: No kidding.

MOSLEY: No drugs, no alcohol. And I never lost a fight on screen.

ROMAS: Yeah. Even the one episode where T. C. came to blows with Magnum
it was a draw. [Laughs]

[Insert clip of the beginning of their fight in "Thicker Than Blood."]

* * * * * * * * * *

THOMAS: I'm not gonna let you do that, T. C.

T. C.: You're not gonna what?

THOMAS: There's gotta be a better way out of this.

T. C.: I checked all the angles man. And there ain't no way. Now I
appreciate what you're tryin' to do, like I said. [Removes his Team
Ring and puts it into Thomas's hand.] But it's time for T. C. to get
out of here.

THOMAS: You're not.

T. C.: Yes I am. Even if we gotta do a instant replay of our first
meetin' in Saigon.

THOMAS: That's exactly what you gotta do.

[T. C. sets down his luggage and punches Magnum in the face. Their
brawl begins.]

* * * * * * * * * *

MOSLEY: And they had written one scene where I said that this guy had
attacked me but it was never shown.

ROMAS: Yeah. I recall which one you're referring to there.

[Insert clip where T. C. explains getting beat up in "China Doll."]

* * * * * * * * * *

RICK: Take it easy. You've got a couple of cracked ribs. Lie back.

THOMAS: T. C., you okay?

T. C.: No!

THOMAS: What happened?

T. C.: You're in big trouble, boy.

RICK: Yeah, he's in big trouble. You've got cracked ribs and a
concussion and he's in big trouble. Alright, look out.

THOMAS: I'm sorry.

MEI LING: Shouldn't you get him to a doctor?

RICK: Snow Pea, I patched and stitched these two jokers so many times
in 'Nam, I know 'em better than their momma's.

THOMAS: What kinda trouble?

T. C.: I don't know. But I could guess. Chinese dude, Rick's size,
asking who I brought in from Kauai and where he could find him.

MEI LING: Did you tell him?

T. C.: Does it look like I did?

THOMAS: He did this?

RICK: Chinese guy about my size?

T. C.: He caught me by surprise. Man, I ain't never seen nothin like
this boy. He just blinked and BOOM. Never saw him move.

THOMAS: T. C., I've seen you whip half-a-dozen guys in a bar fight.

T. C.: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I must be gettin' slow. I mean, just wham,
bam . . . the whole thing only took five seconds. I'm just surprised
he didn't kill me.

* * * * * * * * * *

ROMAS: And your background in the dramatic arts and T. C.'s love of the
opera, the ballet, I always perceived --

MOSLEY: That was me.

ROMAS: Really? I always imagined that was your input. His desire to
help the kids, you know, all his coaching. I know that you started a
. . . didn't you start a youth repertory theatre in Los Angeles?

MOSLEY: Yeah, but I've been coaching youth sports for the last
thirty-some years. I coach a track team now, our high school is a
top-ranked national track team.

[Fade in saxophone bridge from Magnum theme variation by Mike Post.]

[Studio V.O. insert]

ROMAS: This program continues on side two of your audio cassette.