Lost, Donnie Darko, Watership Down and time travel....(longish)

1 view

Hamish

Feb 18, 2006, 1:34:30 PM2/18/06
I have always liked the film Donnie Darko, so when I found out the Sunday
Times newspaper (UK) was giving away a DVD of the directors cut tomorrow I
thought I'd look to see what the differences were. I was astonished at some
parallels to Lost.

Now I know TPTB have said no time travel. But some of the similarities are
to close for me to dismiss them. The close up shots of eyes, Watership
Down, Deus Ex Machina, tangent universe (speculation on the group) etc.
Anyone else think these are just too many to be coincidence?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/alternateversions

I'll list the ones that stick out to me:

Changes from the original in the Director's Cut:
<snip>
9 mins: As Donnie is awakened by Frank's voice we see a close up of his eye
opening with Frank reflected in his iris. Also the sequence as he leaves the
house is extended slightly.
<snip>
29 mins: Another shot of Donnie's eye opening as Frank awakens him before he
floods the school, water is seen reflected in his eye this time.
<snip>
53 mins: We see the first of the excerpts from The Philosophy of Time
Travel, concerning the tangent universe.
59 mins: We see Donnie waiting for the school bus a plane flies overhead and
everyone looks up nervously, then the second excerpt from The Philosophy of
Time Travel appears, Chapter 2, Water and Metal. Behind this transition
there is a short new scene where Donnie sits down next to Gretchen and she
asks him why he has blood on his neck.
<snip>
64 mins: Another shot of Donnie's eye opening, along with footage of waves
breaking on a beach.
65 mins: We see Donnie and Gretchen in an arcade, the scene is overlaid by
chapter 7 from the book, The Manipulated Living.
<snip>
74 mins: Karen Pomeroy tells the class they are no longer allowed to study
The Destructors, and that their new book will be Watership Down, however if
any student wants a copy of Graham Greene's book someone has put 20 copies
aside at the Sarasota Mall.
75 mins: Another overlay from The Philosophy of Time Travel, this time
chapter 6, the Living Receiver.
81 mins: Another eye opening shot, this time with flames reflected in it.
87 mins: Another overlay, chapter 10, the Manipulated Dead.
<snip>
92 mins: Karen gives one of her last classes, after the students watch a
section of Watership Down they discuss Fiver (the rabbit)'s visions, and how
trusting those visions of the end of the world would save the warren.
Gretchen and Donnie argue in the class about the meaning of them. Donnie
doesn't see the point of crying over a dead rabbit, Gretchen tells Donnie he
missed the point, and Karen Pomeroy tells the class that the Deus Ex Machina
is what saved the rabbits.
<snip>
106 mins: There is an overlay of Chapter 9, the Ensurance Trap.
110 mins: As Donnie walks around the party, observing people's channels,
there is another montage of his eye, as if he were putting all the clues
together that lead him to thinking he should go to Grandma Death's house.
114 mins: As Donnie is pinned down with the knife to his throat outside
Grandma Death's house, it is now very clear he is saying Deus Ex Machina.
<snip>
118 mins: We see a montage of things reflected in Donnie's eye as Frank
counts down to the end of the world.
120 mins: Another montage as we see the universe collapsing and rewinding as
Donnie travels back through time.
123 mins: The final overlay is of chapter 12, Dreams, which explains why
everyone seems to be having a sleepless night as Mad World plays.

--
Hamish

Bricking it is just lifes way of letting you know it's important

Skinky

Feb 20, 2006, 4:42:54 PM2/20/06
Donnie Darko was an excellent movie. Sometime ago, I myself had brought up
the simularities to Lost. It seems the most common theme is fate.

--
"From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most
precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look

- Alvar Hanso, Address to the U.N. Security Council, 1967