Lindelof on Season 2: Orlando Sentinel 7/25/05

J. Anthony Crumpton

Jul 25, 2005, 2:17:05 PM7/25/05
>From The Orlando Sentinal: http://tinyurl.com/agazc

Lost will plunge into the mysterious hatch in its first episode, series
co-creator Damon Lindelof says.

"You will see everything that's in there. What is in there will change
everything about how they live on the island," Lindelof says. "We are
erring on the side of giving away too much as opposed to being too
vague."

The producers are meeting the nation's TV critics to collect awards.
The Television Critics Association honors Desperate Housewives as
program of the year. Lost earns prizes as best new program and top
drama. Both series are likely to start their second seasons in
mid-September.

The hatch looms as the main topic on Lost, and producers plan a bold
revelation.

"I can guarantee you there will be people [viewers] who do not like
what they find in the hatch," Lindelof says. "We found this door in the
10th episode of the show, and 13 episodes later they finally open it
up. So what's inside has to be something big."

Although the contents can be construed as science fiction, Lindelof
rules out a few possibilities.

"There aren't aliens in there," he says. "There isn't a time-travel
portal. They aren't going to find a ship they blast off into space."
The ill-fated voyage of the raft forms another major plot. A band of
vicious strangers set the craft afire and seized the boy Walt (Malcolm
David Kelley). Three other castaways -- Michael (Harold Perrineau),
Sawyer (Josh Holloway) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) -- were left struggling
for survival in the ocean.

"If they will reconvene with the main group becomes the story fodder of
the first seven or eight episodes," Lindelof says.

The show will continue to examine characters' lives through flashbacks
before the plane crash put them on a remote island. Those plots will
include more on the marriage of Jack (Matthew Fox); the injury that put
Locke (Terry O'Quinn) in a wheelchair; the rock-star existence of
Charlie (Dominic Monaghan); the fugitive past of Kate (Evangeline
Lilly); and the lottery lifestyle of Hurley (Jorge Garcia).

Michelle Rodriguez joins the cast as a passenger who was in the tail
section and who survived elsewhere on the island. The recurring numbers
-- on the flight, hatch and lottery ticket -- will become "the driving
and fundamental plot point of the second season," Lindelof says.
Viewers will know how the plane crashed by season two's end, he
promises.

But Lindelof stresses the people are the main element. "The island just
serves as a conduit to tell character stories," he says. "No one is
really watching the show for the answers to those mysteries. They're
watching to see: Will Kate and Jack hook up?"

rwgibson13

Jul 25, 2005, 3:31:17 PM7/25/05

> But Lindelof stresses the people are the main element. "The island just
> serves as a conduit to tell character stories," he says. "No one is
> really watching the show for the answers to those mysteries. They're
> watching to see: Will Kate and Jack hook up?"

Well, I wouldn't exactly say "no one" :-)

RWG (seems like maybe he ought to read the newsgroups and message
boards a bit more often :-)

J. Anthony Crumpton

Jul 25, 2005, 4:21:31 PM7/25/05

True, that. Personally, I'm not that invested in the 'ships.

Steven L.

Jul 25, 2005, 4:24:04 PM7/25/05

Perhaps we could take an informal poll of the posters to this NG:

On a scale of 1-5 (1 = unimportant, 3 = somewhat important, 5 = very
important), please indicate how important each of the following
questions is to you:

1. What is the "monster?"

2. Where is Lost Island?

3. What is under the hatch?

4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk again?

5. Will Kate and Jack hook up?

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

WG...@webtv.net

Jul 25, 2005, 4:59:11 PM7/25/05
]Poll: What Do You Care About Most? was:
] Re: Lindelof on Season 2: Orlando Sentinel
] 7/25/05

] 8:24pm (PDT+7) From:
] sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net (Steven L.)

]2. Where is Lost Island?------------5
]3. What is under the hatch?--------4
]4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk
] again? -----------5
]5. Will Kate and Jack hook up?-----1

You could add a few more to your list like

6. How did they survive the plane crash?----5

7. What is the "real deal" with the French Lady?-----------5

8. Why did Boone have to die?---------5

9-1000, etc. etc!

Stephen Donner

Jul 25, 2005, 5:29:39 PM7/25/05

That takes a plentiful heap of audacity, and I'm sure he'll be sorry for
this quote later.

Steven L.

Jul 25, 2005, 8:34:03 PM7/25/05

9. Why is Jack no longer married?........1
(and that's only because I'm not allowed to give it a zero)

Steven L.

Jul 25, 2005, 8:39:33 PM7/25/05
Stephen Donner wrote:

Even in professional reviews of Lost in newspapers and magazines, the
mysteries like Hurley's numbers and the hatch get the full play. I
haven't read one column in any newspaper or magazine that gave a flying
crap whether Jack and Kate will hook up.

rob...@bestweb.net

Jul 25, 2005, 9:06:13 PM7/25/05
Steven L. wrote:

> > ]On a scale of 1-5 (1 = unimportant, 3 =
> > ] somewhat important, 5 = very important),
> > ] please indicate how important each of the
> > ] following questions is to you:

> > ]1. What is the "monster?"----------1
> > ]2. Where is Lost Island?------------3
> > ]3. What is under the hatch?--------5

> > ]4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk

> > ] again? -----------2

> > ]5. Will Kate and Jack hook up?-----1

> > You could add a few more to your list like

> > 6. How did they survive the plane crash?----2

> > 7. What is the "real deal" with the French Lady?-----------2

> > 8. Why did Boone have to die?---------1

> 9. Why is Jack no longer married?........4

10. Did they really fool Dr. Jack with the "death" of someone missing
legs early in the show, or did he really die, or is Jack
shilling?.....5

11. What business did Korean Man have in the USA?.....5

12. Is The Kid really a child?.....3

13. Where is the radio distress call coming from, and what was it
really about?....3

14. Is Locke a double agent?.....5

15. What is the motivation of the people who arranged this mass
kidnapping?......5

16. What's the "real deal" with Fugitive Kate and the Marshal?.....5

17. Does Rose really have a husband?.....2

18. Why did they want Then-Pregnant Lady on that flight?......3

19. Did Drowned Lady really drown, or was that just misdirection?.....2

20. Is this the first time Oceanic employees have pulled such a
stunt?.....2

21. How long have The Numbers been engraved on The Hatch?.....3

22. Which Losties are the kidnappers willing to sacrifice, and which
are they really interested in?.....5

23. Did the smuggler's airplane crash, or is it another prop they
planted to get more heroin there?.....4

24. How did the Other Man get there?.....4

Robert

Steve Wadding

Jul 25, 2005, 10:19:13 PM7/25/05
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in news:9DfFe.4848
$Uk3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Even in professional reviews of Lost in newspapers and magazines, the
> mysteries like Hurley's numbers and the hatch get the full play. I
> haven't read one column in any newspaper or magazine that gave a flying
> crap whether Jack and Kate will hook up.

Who cares if Jack and Kate hook up? I want to know why the maréchal hated
Kate so much!

Steve W.

John Wilson

Jul 26, 2005, 7:09:52 AM7/26/05

5

5

5

> 4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk again?
5

> 5. Will Kate and Jack hook up?

0

John Wilson

Jul 26, 2005, 7:10:32 AM7/26/05
"J. Anthony Crumpton" <tony_c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> But Lindelof stresses the people are the main element. "The island just
> serves as a conduit to tell character stories," he says. "No one is
> really watching the show for the answers to those mysteries. They're
> watching to see: Will Kate and Jack hook up?"

NO NO NO NO NO!

If this is what the writers believe than this will indeed end up being like
The Matrix (see thread I posted "I am scared that Lost may turn into The
Matrix ...").

TNKEV

Jul 26, 2005, 8:08:41 AM7/26/05
WG...@webtv.net wrote:
> ]Poll: What Do You Care About Most? was:
> ] Re: Lindelof on Season 2: Orlando Sentinel
> ] 7/25/05
>
> ] 8:24pm (PDT+7) From:
> ] sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net (Steven L.)
>
> ]Perhaps we could take an informal poll of the
> ] posters to this NG:
>
> ]On a scale of 1-5 (1 = unimportant, 3 =
> ] somewhat important, 5 = very important),
> ] please indicate how important each of the
> ] following questions is to you:

]1. What is the "monster?"----------4
]2. Where is Lost Island?------------1
]3. What is under the hatch?--------5

]4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk
]
]5. Will Kate and Jack hook up?-----1

> You could add a few more to your list like
>
> 6. How did they survive the plane crash?----1
>
> 7. What is the "real deal" with the French Lady?-----------3
>
> 8. Why did Boone have to die?---------1
>
> 9-1000, etc. etc!

rwgibson13

Jul 26, 2005, 10:28:34 AM7/26/05

It's tough to see in a printed interview, but it certainly wouldn't
surprise me if the remark, if not meant tongue in cheek, was an
outright joke that somehow lost something between the telling and the
printing :-)

RWG (who definitely knows there are some "Lost" viewers watching to see
if Jack and Kate hook up :-)

Tere

Jul 26, 2005, 11:03:09 AM7/26/05

Yeah, I agree. It wouldn't be such a hit if there wasn't a "monster," a
hatch, the Others, polar bears, medical miracles, etc. They know that.
Tongue in cheek definitly.

Kira Dirlik

Jul 26, 2005, 11:18:11 AM7/26/05

Yeah, me too. And how Locke hurt his legs in the first place. And
will Charlie succumb to the inner Mary (or rather, Mary's innards).
And will Clare's baby be "special"? And the adventures of the raft
guys. And what happened to Walt and why did they take him? I don't
give a hoot about the 'ships, either.
Kira

Kira Dirlik

Jul 26, 2005, 11:26:35 AM7/26/05
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:24:04 GMT, "Steven L."
<sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote:

>Perhaps we could take an informal poll of the posters to this NG:
>
>On a scale of 1-5 (1 = unimportant, 3 = somewhat important, 5 = very
>important), please indicate how important each of the following
>questions is to you:
>

>1. What is the "monster?" 5
>
>2. Where is Lost Island? 2
>
>3. What is under the hatch? 5

>4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk again? 5
>

>5. Will Kate and Jack hook up? 1
Kira

Steven L.

Jul 26, 2005, 12:07:04 PM7/26/05
rwgibson13 wrote:

> It's tough to see in a printed interview, but it certainly wouldn't
> surprise me if the remark, if not meant tongue in cheek, was an
> outright joke that somehow lost something between the telling and the
> printing :-)

If the writers really thought that we're primarily interested in whether
Kate and Jack will hook up, then the final cliffhanger scene in the
Finale wouldn't have been the opening of the hatch. The final
cliffhanger scene would have been Jack and Kate sharing a romantic
dinner by a campfire.

Steven L.

Jul 26, 2005, 12:08:20 PM7/26/05
Kira Dirlik wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:19:13 -0500, Steve Wadding
> <svw_...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in news:9DfFe.4848
>>$Uk3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>>

>>>Even in professional reviews of Lost in newspapers and magazines, the
>>>mysteries like Hurley's numbers and the hatch get the full play. I
>>>haven't read one column in any newspaper or magazine that gave a flying
>>>crap whether Jack and Kate will hook up.
>>
>>Who cares if Jack and Kate hook up? I want to know why the maréchal hated
>>Kate so much!
>>
>>Steve W.
>

> Yeah, me too. And how Locke hurt his legs in the first place. And
> will Charlie succumb to the inner Mary (or rather, Mary's innards).

Mary? Who is Mary?

Shevek

Jul 26, 2005, 1:11:37 PM7/26/05
Steven L. wrote:
> Kira Dirlik wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:19:13 -0500, Steve Wadding
>> <svw_...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> "Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in news:9DfFe.4848
>>> $Uk3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

>>> Who cares if Jack and Kate hook up? I want to know why the maréchal
>>> hated Kate so much!
>>> Steve W.
>>

>> Yeah, me too. And how Locke hurt his legs in the first place. And
>> will Charlie succumb to the inner Mary (or rather, Mary's innards).
>

> Mary? Who is Mary?

The Virgin Mary.

--
Shevek

(Quitar pi para responder por e-mail)

poldy

Jul 27, 2005, 11:58:38 PM7/27/05

"J. Anthony Crumpton" <tony_c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But Lindelof stresses the people are the main element. "The island just
> serves as a conduit to tell character stories," he says. "No one is
> really watching the show for the answers to those mysteries. They're
> watching to see: Will Kate and Jack hook up?"

There are a lot of viewers, including many on this group, who care about
the mysteries, generating all kinds of theories.

They aren't watching because they think this is another Moonlighting
where the male and female leads are slowly in the process of "hooking
up."

Maureen Goldman

Jul 29, 2005, 6:19:58 PM7/29/05
>"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote:

>On a scale of 1-5 (1 = unimportant, 3 = somewhat important, 5 = very
>important), please indicate how important each of the following
>questions is to you:

1. What is the "monster?" 3

2. Where is Lost Island? 2

3. What is under the hatch? 4

4. How is Locke, a former cripple, able to walk again? 5

5. Will Kate and Jack hook up? 1 (actually zero)

Missy

Aug 6, 2005, 3:59:41 AM8/6/05

"poldy" <po...@kfu.com> wrote in message

Honest to god, I don't understand how that quote was so misunderstood by so
many people. :P Reading comprehension has really taken a nosedive in recent
years. :)

Look at the whole quote, not just the last sentence. The last sentence is
simply ONE example of what he is talking about in the whole quote. That
it's the HUMAN aspect that keeps people tuning in.

If we didn't care about any of the characters, what happened to them and
their relationships with each other and how that affected their response to
the island's mysteries the show wouldn't be the hit it is. The mysteries
mean nothing without the characters, they couldn't tell the story of them
without the characters. If this show as about nothing but "mysteries" they
wouldn't spend so much time showing us flashbacks to make us understand how
the characters became who they were when that plane crashed and why they
react the way they do to things going on on the island.

Nearly all the most popular shows through the years, except police
procedurals like Law and Order perhaps--last as long as they do and are as
popular and well loved as they are because of the attachment people form to
the characters. Obviously the stories need to be well written and so on but
it's to see how whatever happens next effects the characters that generally
keeps people coming back for more week after week year after year.

Damon is actually showing he is very smart indeed with that comment.
Mystery alone will not keep a show going, mysteries wear out quickly without
characters for people to become invested in.