flashbacks are slightly different when re-visited

Rick Harrison

Apr 30, 2009, 11:17:42 PM4/30/09
from http://lostroom23.blogspot.com :

in one episode, Sayid told Ben and Jack, ''I don't want any part of
this. And if I see you, or him again, it will be extremely unpleasant
for all of us.'' But in the Sayid-centric ''He's Our You,'' we saw the
scene again, but this time Sayid spoke solely to Ben: ''And if I see
you again, it'll be extremely unpleasant for us both.'' Another
example: Young Ben's roaming bullet hole. When Sayid shot him in ''He's
Our You,'' the hole was on the one side of his chest. But in the next
episode, ''Whatever Happened, Happened,'' it was on the other. And so
we must decide: is Lost getting sloppy with the continuity, or do these
discrepancies mean something?

from http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Variable :

In the continuation of the scene from "Confirmed Dead" in which Daniel
reacts to the news of the faked Oceanic Flight 815 crash, Daniel's hair
is shoulder-length, whereas in the old scenes from season 4, he has
short hair.

Yakka

May 2, 2009, 1:59:11 AM5/2/09
In article <300420092317429308%nick...@surname.net>, Rick Harrison
<nick...@surname.net> wrote:

> from http://lostroom23.blogspot.com :
>
> in one episode, Sayid told Ben and Jack, ''I don't want any part of
> this. And if I see you, or him again, it will be extremely unpleasant
> for all of us.'' But in the Sayid-centric ''He's Our You,'' we saw the
> scene again, but this time Sayid spoke solely to Ben: ''And if I see
> you again, it'll be extremely unpleasant for us both.''

That was a glaring change in Sayid's statement and can't be a
production error -- it must be deliberate. But what does it mean? Does
it mean the past is being changed and WHH is a lie?

Scott Bryce

May 2, 2009, 2:03:28 AM5/2/09
Yakka wrote:
> Does it mean the past is being changed and WHH is a lie?

WHH is the prevailing theory until Daniel discovers that there is a
variable. Unfortunately for Daniel, he may have been wrong.

rwgibson13

May 2, 2009, 6:20:03 AM5/2/09
On May 2, 12:59 am, Yakka <nickn...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article <300420092317429308%nickn...@surname.net>, Rick Harrison
>
> <nickn...@surname.net> wrote:
> > fromhttp://lostroom23.blogspot.com:

> > in one episode, Sayid told Ben and Jack, ''I don't want any part of
> > this. And if I see you, or him again, it will be extremely unpleasant
> > for all of us.'' But in the Sayid-centric ''He's Our You,'' we saw the
> > scene again, but this time Sayid spoke solely to Ben: ''And if I see
> > you again, it'll be extremely unpleasant for us both.''
>
> That was a glaring change in Sayid's statement and can't be a
> production error -- it must be deliberate. But what does it mean? Does
> it mean the past is being changed and WHH is a lie?

It's not a production ERROR, it's the director deciding to use a
different take from the same shoot...

RWG (it actually happens a lot on LOST)

Bob

May 2, 2009, 5:42:40 PM5/2/09

That's not merely a different TAKE. You don't change dialog from take
to take, unless they're ad libbing. So it means the characters
actually did it over with alterations. And what better evidence could
you get that their actions are as insincere as those of the actors
portraying them on "Lost"? Can you think of any other reason people
would do a do-over? Would King Lear call back his daughters after
sending one away to go thru that whole scene again?

Bob in the Bronx

tdciago

May 2, 2009, 8:08:44 PM5/2/09
On May 2, 5:42�pm, Bob <robg...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> �So it means the characters
> actually did it over with alterations. �

No, they just edited out "or him," which was the part of the sentence
that referred to Jack.

rwgibson13

May 2, 2009, 8:10:27 PM5/2/09
On May 2, 4:42 pm, Bob <robg...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> On May 2, 6:20 am, rwgibson13 <rwgibso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 2, 12:59 am, Yakka <nickn...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > > That was a glaring change in Sayid's statement and can't be a
> > > production error -- it must be deliberate. But what does it mean? Does
> > > it mean the past is being changed and WHH is a lie?
>
> > It's not a production ERROR, it's the director deciding to use a
> > different take from the same shoot...
>
> That's not merely a different TAKE.  You don't change dialog from take
> to take, unless they're ad libbing.

Yes, they do it all the time. Ask your good friend Damon if you don't
believe it. Heck, they talk about it in the DVD collections...the
actors are free to ad lib and the directors change written lines of
dialogue all the time. Geez, how long have you been watching this show
again? Seriously, get out your DVD collections and watch the extras.
You may learn something.

Another recent example is at the end of "Bentham," with the exchange
between Locke and Ben when Ben wakes up. At the beginning of "Dead is
Dead," it's shot from a different angle and Locke's expression is
different. The way he says his lines is different. Go back and look
for yourself if you don't believe it.

It has nothing to do with any stupid "conspiracy" except the one
between the producers, the director and the actors. Each director
uses the scene they like better or the one they think adds something
different. Of if, say Emerson and/or O'Quinn aren't comfortable with
it, they'll accomodate them and use a different take.

Seriously, this kind of thing goes on all the time in serial
television. On just about every show. Its not unique to LOST.

This is one of the aspects of LOST that the "fans" just need to get
the fuck over. For all the convoluted plotlines and such, it's JUST A
FUCKING TELEVISION SHOW!!
It's filmed just like every other television show (well, okay, except
the location shooting sometimes makes it a bit more difficult to
correct errors once they are filmed) and is shot, edited and produced
just like just about every other television show.

Mistakes happen. And sometimes re-shoots just aren't feasable, so you
end up with some crewmember in a shot that they can't fix in editing.
Or one director (or a producer) thinks another director made a bad
decision in choosing a shoot from a scene, so he uses a different one
later. It happens. Get over it. These production guys aren't miracle
workers here (especially the shooting crews), and are second-guessed
all the time, just like on every other television show.

Geez, I like LOST and I like the great majority of the LOST fans I
deal with online, but LOST isn't Orson Welles personally overseeing
each and every frame of film from the camera to the editing room to
the network airing here. And they don't have ten years to produce
each episode.

RWG (and they have multiple takes of just about every scene in the can
in case they change their collective minds later)

Steven L.

May 3, 2009, 1:15:27 PM5/3/09
rwgibson13 wrote:

> It has nothing to do with any stupid "conspiracy" except the one
> between the producers, the director and the actors. Each director
> uses the scene they like better or the one they think adds something
> different. Of if, say Emerson and/or O'Quinn aren't comfortable with
> it, they'll accomodate them and use a different take.
>
> Seriously, this kind of thing goes on all the time in serial
> television. On just about every show. Its not unique to LOST.

There is one aspect of this that is probably unique to LOST:

Because of the "mystery" aspect of this serial, the actors often don't
know in advance what they are playing. To deal with this, the directors
will shoot the scene in multiple possible ways, and let Darlton pick the
particular take that they think fits their plans.

Yunjin Kim said that the directors did that with Sun's pregnancy. She
didn't know how to act the scenes with Jin--should she act happy that
she's carrying Jin's baby, or should she act upset because Jae might be
the father? So, the director had her act the scene one way to suggest
that Jin was the father of her baby. Then they had her act the scene a
different way to suggest that Jae was the father of her baby. Both
these films went to Darlton, who kept the choice a secret for a while.

This also helps avoid spoilers leaking out. No one on the production
crew knew whether Sun's baby was Jin's, because YunJin Kim acted out the
scene that way, and then again in a different way.

> Geez, I like LOST and I like the great majority of the LOST fans I
> deal with online, but LOST isn't Orson Welles personally overseeing
> each and every frame of film from the camera to the editing room to
> the network airing here. And they don't have ten years to produce
> each episode.

Since you brought up that example: Here's a list of known and
identified continuity goofs in "Citizen Kane":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/goofs

--
Steven L.
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Jim Gysin

May 4, 2009, 7:24:58 PM5/4/09

rwgibson13 sent the following on 5/2/2009 7:10 PM:

> This is one of the aspects of LOST that the "fans" just need to get
> the fuck over. For all the convoluted plotlines and such, it's JUST A
> FUCKING TELEVISION SHOW!!
> It's filmed just like every other television show (well, okay, except
> the location shooting sometimes makes it a bit more difficult to
> correct errors once they are filmed) and is shot, edited and produced
> just like just about every other television show.
>
> Mistakes happen. And sometimes re-shoots just aren't feasable, so you
> end up with some crewmember in a shot that they can't fix in editing.
> Or one director (or a producer) thinks another director made a bad
> decision in choosing a shoot from a scene, so he uses a different one
> later. It happens. Get over it. These production guys aren't miracle
> workers here (especially the shooting crews), and are second-guessed
> all the time, just like on every other television show.
>
> Geez, I like LOST and I like the great majority of the LOST fans I
> deal with online, but LOST isn't Orson Welles personally overseeing
> each and every frame of film from the camera to the editing room to
> the network airing here. And they don't have ten years to produce
> each episode.
>
> RWG (and they have multiple takes of just about every scene in the can
> in case they change their collective minds later)

Admit it. You work for Darlton, and your job is to confuse people on
this newsgroup. :)

--
Jim Gysin
Waukesha, WI