Times Talk - 2010-05-20 (Mild Spoilers)

thinbluemime

May 20, 2010, 10:58:36 PM5/20/10
Times Talk - 2010-05-20

WHAT IT WAS

http://nytimes.whsites.net/talk/index.php
Thursday | May 20, 2010
8:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Behind the Scenes of "Lost"

Get ready for the conclusion of the hit series: don't miss this compelling
conversation with the masterminds behind "Lost." Hear executive producer
Carlton Cuse and co-creator-executive producer Damon Lindelof reveal the
challenges of crafting a finale that satisfies themselves as storytellers
and the show’s legion of fans. Interviewed by New York Times entertainment
editor Lorne Manly.

Couldn't get tickets? "Behind the Scenes of 'Lost'" will also be simulcast
live to select movie theaters throughout the U.S. and Canada. See the
below link for tickets and theaters.

----------------

REACTIONS (Read from bottom, up)
http://twitter.com/TimesTalks

Thanks to Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, Michael Emerson and Jorge Garcia
for a great talk! Can't wait for Sunday's finale!
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

As a fan of the show, Jorge Garcia thinks the finale will satisfy your
questions.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

There is no time table for Damon, Carlton and Lost for the future.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

The best thing about season six for Michael Emerson is to be able to play
2 characters in one show.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

There is a difference btwn what a character says and what is shown. What
is shown is real. What a character says isn't always true.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

The finale of Lost will show even more of Damon and Carlton's views of
faith.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

Carlton and Damon have no favorite characters but Carlton does love to
write for Ben in particular.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

Jorge Garcia loves the character of Ben on the show. He gets to say the
best lines.
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

And Hurley has just made a surprise appearance!!! Jorge Garcia is in the
house!
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

Michael Emerson's job is to connect the dots between what Ben says and
does and to find the human being in the character.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Michael Emerson! The actor who plays Ben!
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Special Lost guest about to make a special appearance on stage! Who is it?
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

The writers had charts and timelines in the writers room to keep the
storylines and time travelling on track.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Where is Walt? Looks like we may see him again on Sunday!
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

There is no guide book or answer to all Lost questions...just like life.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

As hard as it is to kill off the characters, it's harder to tell the
actors that their character is going to be killed.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

They decide to kill people off the show to raise the stakes of the plot
and show that anything can happen.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

They needed to kill off Charlie in order for the time travel storyline to
work.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

The hardest plot choice for Damon and Carlton was killing off Charlie.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

The writers specifically wanted to make sure in their time travelling
stories, no character could change the future by going back in time.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

We're now watching the clip when Desmond and Penny connect on the phone
for the first time. Oldie but goodie!
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Did Damon and Carlton ever disagree on story developments? Depends who you
ask. Carlton says no. Damon says yes.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Damon and Carlton often worked as referees with their team of passionate
writers.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Damon was a huge Twin Peaks fan and used to watch it with his dad.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Carlton watched a lot of TV as a child, which seemed like a waste of time
but clearly worked out for him.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

According to Damon, there is a Star Wars reference in the first 7 mins of
the Lost finale.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

When fans asked why Hurley wasn't losing weight, the writers created the
Dharma food stash.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

The audience reaction to Lost have somewhat forced a change in the planned
story.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Damon and Carlton admit to making mistakes and say that the fans always
catch their mistakes.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

What impact do fans have on Lost?
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

The Lost writers knew the general story but have been adapting as each
episode was created.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

How much of the story did Damon and Carlton know before they started
writing?
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

RT @YankeesPR: Prior to game Granderson and Aceves greeted fans
http://twitpic.com/1pikvt See Cashman and Levine @timestalks.com in June.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Listening to 'Darlton.' Damon is making an analogy about first dates.
Lorne is asking them a question from the web now. Audience riveted.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Huge crowd here ready for LOST showrunners Damon / Carlton. See simulcast
at a theater near you in one hour! Get list @timestalk.com.
about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

Watching Damon and Carlton of LOST getting mic'd! Show starts 8! Special
LOST finale clip coming. Find your movie theater at TimesTalks.com.
about 4 hours ago via UberTwitter

--
http://www.lostdude.com

tdciago

May 20, 2010, 11:02:00 PM5/20/10
On May 20, 10:58�pm, thinbluemime <thinbluem...@geemail.com> wrote:
> The audience reaction to Lost have somewhat forced a change in the planned �
> story.
> about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Ugh.

tdciago

May 21, 2010, 7:51:13 AM5/21/10
On May 20, 10:58�pm, thinbluemime <thinbluem...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Times Talk - 2010-05-20

Summary of spoilers from http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/

Thanks to Robert, Julian, ZachS, Evelynne, Bryan, Matthew, JSY09, Jim
for sending these spoilers in from the event.

- Just got back, not too many spoilers...but Carlton did let out that
we will see Walt again before all is said and done.
- they also referenced that one of the final scenes involves a lot of
characters and that the very final scene has been known since season 1
- One of the fans in the audience asked if Desmond's line to Jack in
the 2nd season when they first meet in the stadium and Desmond tells
Jack "You have to lift it up" would have any relevance to the finale.
Damon & Carlton said "you will not be disappointed."
- The bigger one, though, was confirmation that we will see Walt in
the finale. Yes, Walt.
- Eloise's knowledge is relevant for the finale.
- Walt will be back in some form.
- Damon would not directly address why Smokey was pulling Locke down
that hole in the S1 finale, so that could be relevant. Same with
whether or not Jacob is actually good, and whether or not there's
anything worth protecting down in the Light Cave.
- There will be a Star Wars reference in the first 7 minutes of the
finale.
- Hurley was involved in the final scene (we knew this already).
- A clip was shown, pretty much an extended version of the Sawyer/Ben/
Flocke one posted here. Sawyer tells Locke that he thinks Desmond is
needed for destroying the Island, Locke says yes. Sawyer then takes
Ben's gun, punches him, and walks away while saying that the group
he's a part of "aren't candidates anymore". Locke then remarks that
the Island will be at the bottom of the ocean when he's done with it,
prompting Ben to question his loyalty (Ben was promised the Island in
return for his help, and assumed that its destruction was figurative
and not literal). Locke then invited him to join him on his boat as he
watches the Island sink. He kneels down to the ground near the well
and notices pawprints.
He realizes that a dog had been there.
- Also, mirrors are very relevant.
- When Ben asks why Flocke isn't running to chase him down Flocke
explains that he intends to use Desmond to destroy the Island.
Naturally Ben isn't too pleased.
- The extended clip ends with Flocke examining the ground near the
well and stating that a dog had been there.
- Widmore was lying when he said Jacob visited him

tdciago

May 21, 2010, 8:10:34 AM5/21/10
On May 21, 7:51�am, tdciago <tdci...@aol.com> wrote:

> - Widmore was lying when he said Jacob visited him

So Desmond was not Jacob's failsafe?

> - One of the fans in the audience asked if Desmond's line to Jack in
> the 2nd season when they first meet in the stadium and Desmond tells
> Jack "You have to lift it up" would have any relevance to the finale.
> Damon & Carlton said "you will not be disappointed."

The rock holding back the waters of the abyss?

"In Jewish legends, it is told that 'since the ark disappeared there
was a stone in its place. . . which was called foundation stone.' It
was called foundation stone 'because from it the world was founded [or
started].' And it is said to lie above the Waters that are below the
Holy of Holies.

When David was digging the foundations of the Temple, a shard was
found at a depth of 1500 cubits. David was about to lift it when the
shard exclaimed: 'Thou canst not do it.' 'Why not?' asked David.
'Because I rest upon the abyss.' 'Since when?' 'Since the hour in
which the voice of God was heard to utter the words from Sinai, "I am
the Lord, your God," causing the world to quake and sink into the
Abyss. I lie here to cover up the Abyss.'

Nevertheless David lifted the shard, and the waters of the Abyss rose
and threatened to flood the earth. Ahithophel was standing by and he
thought to himself: 'Now David shall meet with his death and I shall
be king.' Just then David said: 'Whoever knows how to stem the tide of
waters and fails to do it, will one day throttle himself.'

Thereupon Ahithophel had the name of God inscribed upon the shard, and
the shard thrown into the Abyss. The waters at once commenced to
subside, but they sank to so great a depth that David feared the earth
might lose her moisture, and he began to sing the fifteen 'Songs of
Ascents,' to bring the waters up again."

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/hamlets_mill/hamletmill15.htm

thinbluemime

May 21, 2010, 8:31:56 AM5/21/10
On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:51:13 -0400, tdciago <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 10:58�pm, thinbluemime <thinbluem...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> Times Talk - 2010-05-20

Two summaries that overlap a bit, but both worth a read:

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/05/spoilers-from-times-talks-live-lost.html

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/05/ny-times-talk-lost-live-event-writeup.html

--
http://www.lostdude.com

Tifer

May 21, 2010, 9:29:30 AM5/21/10
On May 21, 7:51 am, tdciago <tdci...@aol.com> wrote:

> - Widmore was lying when he said Jacob visited him

After the episode where the plane was rigged with explosives, I said I
believed Widmore was working with Non Locke. This only strengthens
that theory, since according to Non, he needs Desmond to destroy the
island.

I was a little confused after last week's episode though as it didn't
seem they were working together...

tdciago

May 21, 2010, 12:29:59 PM5/21/10
On May 21, 9:29�am, Tifer <chris.ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was a little confused after last week's episode though as it didn't
> seem they were working together...

I'm wondering if this lie is something that will be made clear on the
show. With both Widmore and Jacob dead (Please be really dead
already!), I don't know how it will be exposed. It would have to come
from Flocke, and it would have to be in the form of exactly what you
suspected.

If it's not exposed, it seems pointless.

thinbluemime

May 21, 2010, 4:46:06 PM5/21/10
On Thu, 20 May 2010 22:58:36 -0400, thinbluemime
<thinbl...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Times Talk - 2010-05-20

Rough Video and Transcript:
http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/05/video-from-times-talks-live-lost-event.html

Audio Ripped:
(soon)

--
http://www.lostdude.com

thinbluemime

May 21, 2010, 5:03:45 PM5/21/10

thinbluemime

May 23, 2010, 2:11:10 PM5/23/10

> Times Talk - 2010-05-20

http://nytimes.whsites.net/talk/2010_live.html

Times Talk Live - Behind the Scenes of Lost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2q8a8X7i_0&feature=related
Part one of eleven part video, nearly 500 MB total

AUDIO RIP Archive (50 MB Total, 11 mp3 files, 64kb/s mono)
http://rapidshare.com/files/390767128/Times_Talk_Live_-_Behind_the_Scenes_of_Lost_AUDIO.zip

--
http://www.lostdude.com