where is metropolis

CALVIN D RUBY

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96
to ja...@ccia.com

there is a metropolis in illonois!

Jamie

Brad Ferguson

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <31A0FA...@ccia.com>, CALVIN D RUBY <JA...@ccia.com> wrote:

> there is a metropolis in illonois!
>

> Jamie

Yes. Population approximately 8,000. Not to be confused with Metropolis,
NT, population 12 million.

There's also a Metropolis in Nevada, part of a place called Wells.
Population must be about five. Wells is on the map, Metropolis isn't.

These are the only two known Metropoli in real-world North America (and I
don't think the one in Nevada is very widely known).

--
Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

Dedi Shy

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96
to Brad Ferguson

I saw the movie "Supergirl" a few days ago, and a map showing Metropolis was
shown in it, placing it in mid-USA. I was very suprised to see that, I've
always thought it was on the east coast.

Lynn Walker

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Dedi Shy (sh...@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:
: I saw the movie "Supergirl" a few days ago, and a map showing
: Metropolis was shown in it, placing it in mid-USA. I was very suprised
: to see that, I've always thought it was on the east coast.

Yeah, I know. On Lois and Clark, it *is* on the east coast. In
TAG,D, when Dr. Kline was tracking the sattilite, the map showed, that
New Troy was on the east coast.

And we all know, of course, that the city of Metropolis is in the
state of New Troy.

In fact, I'm surprised that it isn't "New Kroy". "Kroy" spelt
backwards is York. New York is also on the east coast.

--
Lynn B. Walker
lwal...@freenet.npiec.on.ca

Chris Cypser

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

lwal...@freenet.npiec.on.ca (Lynn Walker) writes:

Someone once said that Metropolis is New York during the day, and Gotham
City is New York during the night.
--
Chris Cypser - http://www.nyx.net/~ccypser
I feel more like when I came in than I do now. Don't you?

Christopher D Blue

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

In article <4t0a2u$k...@brain.npiec.on.ca>,

Lynn Walker <lwal...@freenet.npiec.on.ca> wrote:
> And we all know, of course, that the city of Metropolis is in the
>state of New Troy.
> In fact, I'm surprised that it isn't "New Kroy". "Kroy" spelt
>backwards is York. New York is also on the east coast.

Okay--everyone who just made a mental note to listen *a lot*
closer next time they think the name of the state is going to be
mentioned, *raise your hands!*

Later,

--Blue!
----------------------------------- |-| *
|-| _ * __
Those fools on the Science Council--THEY LAUGHED AT ME! |-| | * |/'
They said I was MAD...that my theories wouldn't work! |-| |~*~~~o~|
But I'll show them--I'LL SHOW THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! |-| | O o *|
/___\ |o___O__|

Kerr Avon

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <4t34sd$c...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>, ccy...@nyx10.cs.du.edu says...

>lwal...@freenet.npiec.on.ca (Lynn Walker) writes:
>

>Someone once said that Metropolis is New York during the day, and Gotham
>City is New York during the night.

I had always thought that Metropolis was supposed to be Washington DC and
Gotham City was supposed to New York.

But, I could be wrong.

Brad Ferguson

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

As vastly different as they are, both Metropolis and Gotham City are
supposed to be New York. (Indeed, Batman stories were set in New York
durign the early 1940s.) It was comics writer and artist John Byrne (who
revamped Superman in the 1980s) who said Metropolis is New York by day,
and Gotham is New York by night.

--
Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

---
Not a sponsor of the 1996 Olympic Games

tc

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

kerr...@prolog.net (Kerr Avon) wrote:

>I had always thought that Metropolis was supposed to be Washington DC and
>Gotham City was supposed to New York.

>But, I could be wrong.

In L&C Metropolis could well be New York, since I don't recall New
York being mentioned in the series (I could be wrong).

However, in the DC Comics universe, New York exists as well as
Metropolis and Gotham - New York is the home of the New Teen Titans.

TC
(t...@zip.com.au)

Mad Mejia)

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

I'm not going to go by anything I know from the comics, just my own
thought, and somethin' I saw on Batman: The Animated Series. I'm
fairly sure that New York and Metropolis are kind of like neighboring
cities in the DC Universe. But I know from an episode of B:TAS that
Gotham is in Long Island. Don't know if any of this helps. Anyways...

hol...@kconline.com

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

churley <chu...@capecod.net> wrote:

>Hi!
> Metropolis isn't New York City because in IASWAA Annette <sp?>
>mentioned the New York Stock exchange. In WHATTA Bill Church's map of
>Metropolis was Manhatan <sp> turned backwards. We do know that Metropolis
> is on the eastern seaboard. But I don't know the actual location.
> Andrea

In reality Metropolis is a small town in Southern Illinois

churley

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

JsJr

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

In <4tor5c$7...@ns.kconline.com> hol...@kconline.com writes:

> In reality Metropolis is a small town in Southern Illinois

True and in L&C-world it is in the state of New Troy which if it
was actually New Kroy it would be York spelled backwards. BUT, in the
state of New York there is a city named Troy. Hmmmmm...

-JsJr