Shadowy men in a taco bell ad!

Diluted Evil

Sep 19, 2001, 12:00:13 AM9/19/01
I just heard a Shadowy Men song in a taco bell ad. I'm not sure which one.
But after two solid minutes of screaming "DUDE!" at my television, I thought
yas should know.

~Heidi Rat, Space Whore with FENCING ACTION

"Welcome to WHEEL OF FISH!!" ~Kuni, UHF

"But Jimmy has fancy plans....and pants to match." ~Jimmy James

http://www.troppoheads.com/ratty/Rattyland.html

april spring

Sep 19, 2001, 4:06:16 AM9/19/01
>I just heard a Shadowy Men song in a taco bell ad. I'm not sure which one.
>
>But after two solid minutes of screaming "DUDE!" at my television, I thought
>yas should know.

wow.

i think some ad execs stole my cd collection. {g}

shadowy men, tmbg, blur, bnl.. it's all quite scary.

sarah
linne...@tmbg.org
http://glimmer.org/sarah/
"i'm not going to fire a $2 million dollar missile
at a $10 tent just to hit some camel in the butt." -- george w. bush

shimmerfreak

Sep 19, 2001, 6:07:01 PM9/19/01
oh my word. first bnl, then the dandy warhols, blur, now shadowy men.
i guess the new crop of ad men is much hipper than the ones that came
before it.

tara

Fact Girl

Sep 19, 2001, 10:09:17 PM9/19/01
sarah...

>wow.
>
>i think some ad execs stole my cd collection. {g}

Gee, next thing you know, Sloan'll be hawking Chalupas! <g>

Laura, Fact Girl Raised By Premium Cable Pirates
fact...@youareadork.com
"Do you except Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior?"
"No, but I...I love his work."
--"Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

her god, spot

Sep 19, 2001, 10:37:53 PM9/19/01

good music in commercials bothers me.
it pisses me off to be quite frank. it started with gershwin's
"rhapsody in blue" in the usair (or united, who remembers?)
commercial. you can't hear that song with out remembering the exact
tune they used in the spot. and the ocean, and the logo. (or maybe
i'm the only one.) maybe it was delta. who knows? the point is,
they can have "my sharona", i've even kind of given up on "pink moon",
but i drew the line at "bohemian rhapsody" in those godforsaken
mountain dew ads. now they play "one week" in some car commercial.
sure, it's not their best song, and i'm sure they got a truckload of
money for it, but it's the principle. everything that is good or
original or inspiring eventually becomes the concept for a commercial.
and that doesn't entertain me. it angers me.

the moral of the story: gershwin is tainted for me, and i should maybe
read a book.

serra

brought to you by the Home Depot.

Kitana

Sep 20, 2001, 12:03:09 AM9/20/01
Heidi wrote:

>I just heard a Shadowy Men song in a taco bell ad. I'm not sure which one.
>But after two solid minutes of screaming "DUDE!" at my television, I
thought
>yas should know.

Really? Eeeeeeeeeeenteresting.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open. (However, after hours and hours of
TV-watching, I have yet to chance upon this Shoppers commercial that Kevin
is supposedly in. <g>)

--
*Kitana~

"Oh, Koko. You and I, we understand each other.
We're the long-armed people!" -- Julia Child

"Defy the gods? Don't make me laugh." -- The Sumerians

april spring

Sep 20, 2001, 2:09:57 AM9/20/01
>>I just heard a Shadowy Men song in a taco bell ad. I'm not sure which one.
>>But after two solid minutes of screaming "DUDE!" at my television, I
>thought
>>yas should know.

i saw it a couple times tonight. it's with jeff bezos (?), the amazon.com guy
(if you want to hit 'record' when it comes on) ... and the song is "zombie
compromise", track 4 off of savvy show stoppers.

:)

Karakittykat

Sep 20, 2001, 2:44:59 PM9/20/01
>it started with gershwin's
>"rhapsody in blue" in the usair (or united, who remembers?)

It was United. Anyone who ever had to pass through the United terminal at
O'Hare International will never forget that music. Every time I hear it now, I
begin to twitch and envision that godawful neon laser light show you have to
pass under to get to all the gates.
Sometimes I wish they would just ban music from commercials. And laser light
shows from airport terminals.
When I rule the world, right? :)

Kara
"I'm not really a gorilla."
http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/kevinmcdonald

AMYSA

Sep 20, 2001, 11:31:54 PM9/20/01
serra said:

>good music in commercials bothers me.
>it pisses me off to be quite frank.

it doesn't bother me that it's there, it only bothers me when they manipulate
the meaning behind the song or when it's a song by a band who is obviously
selling out by allowing a commercial to use their songs. both of those things
piss me off. the former pisses me off because it's just wrong and it's enough
to keep me from buying a product. manipulate me with your own words, but don't
manipulate me by twisting someone else's words.

with the latter, it works in two parts. i recognize that some bands don't own
the rights to some of their songs and some bands have recorded definitive
versions of songs originally recorded by other bands. with the first part you
have "revolution" selling nikes. with the second part you have "superman"
selling computers. the beatles couldn't do anything about michael jackson
whoring out their song and rem is still getting shit for microsoft's use of a
song they didn't even write. but, "revolution" isn't associated with MJ and
nobody even remembers the clique.

some songs just don't even phase me when they show up in commercials, but i
think others have been put to good use. i think the "pink moon" commercial is
excellent. i can only imagine that that was the inspiration for some of diet
coke's recent ads. i like hearing "speeding motorcycle" on target ads. and even
though they probably don't quite fall into this category, i actually enjoy most
of the gap ads...particularly the one with carol king and her daughter.

sometimes the right song can make an okay commercial into a piece of art.
sometimes it can do nothing but turn you off of a song and a company.

amy
"that's what the internet is for...slandering others anonymously."--banky

Shannon

Sep 20, 2001, 11:47:43 PM9/20/01
am...@aol.comasutra (AMYSA) wrote:

>some songs just don't even phase me when they show up in commercials, but i
>think others have been put to good use. i think the "pink moon" commercial is
>excellent. i can only imagine that that was the inspiration for some of diet
>coke's recent ads. i like hearing "speeding motorcycle" on target ads. and even
>though they probably don't quite fall into this category, i actually enjoy most
>of the gap ads...particularly the one with carol king and her daughter.

I don't mind the gap ads too much. I remember the one with Dave
Navarro. <drool drool drool>

But I also remember nearly passing out from the horror of hearing "I
Melt With You" by Modern English on a Burger King commercial.

Shannon

Kitana

Sep 21, 2001, 12:55:24 AM9/21/01
Kara wrote:

>It was United. Anyone who ever had to pass through the United terminal at
>O'Hare International will never forget that music. Every time I hear it
now, I
>begin to twitch and envision that godawful neon laser light show you have
>pass under to get to all the gates.

Oh, god, yes. Can't stand that neon light show.

Back to the subject at hand, though... I saw the ad for the first time
today. Twice. During the Presidential Address to the Nation, of all things.

april spring

Sep 22, 2001, 12:03:29 PM9/22/01
>Back to the subject at hand, though...

anyone heard the radio version yet? (last night i was in a radio-mood, except
all but 2 of the stations i could actually get to come in on my radio were
airing the celebrity hero tribute thing, so i was listening to the 80's
station. {g})

it's longer.. and they kinda loop that part of the song and then cut to the
ending. heh heh.

will savvy show stoppers now make me crave chicken quesadillas? hmm.. i'm
craving them now.. (damnyoutacobell!)

*complaint: the 2 fast food places that really succeed in making me crave
their food (taco bell, subway) are both out of the way (and coincidentally have
locations at the mall, but that's also out of the way for fast food) ... and
have really shitty employees working there, that either end up ruining my food
or end up in me not getting it at all. just thought i'd throw that out there.
{g}

april spring

Sep 22, 2001, 12:06:07 PM9/22/01
>because it's just wrong and it's enough
>to keep me from buying a product. manipulate me with your own words, but
>don't
>manipulate me by twisting someone else's words.

choice words there..

did you happen to catch the uk adverts (online, obviously {g}) for pizza hut
that used an edited version of TMBG's "twisting" to advertise their twisted
crust? that was quite.. interesting. they're still archived somewhere.
here, in fact:

http://www.spoot.f9.co.uk/tmbgadverts/

april spring

Sep 22, 2001, 12:09:40 PM9/22/01
>i actually enjoy most
>of the gap ads...particularly the one with carol king and her daughter.

i always think i have a dislike for will ferrell, but then i'll see something
like his neil diamond "forever in blue jeans" ad and laugh and say "that was
AWEsome.." {g}

> i think the "pink moon" commercial is
>excellent.

the volkswagen people have really done a great job with their commercials. i
even bought the cd they've compiled of music from their ads. but then again,
they got me to buy one of their cars, too. so.

carmelita cortez

Sep 22, 2001, 1:34:20 PM9/22/01
<< >i actually enjoy most
>of the gap ads...particularly the one with carol king and her daughter.

i always think i have a dislike for will ferrell, but then i'll see something
like his neil diamond "forever in blue jeans" ad and laugh and say "that was
AWEsome.." {g} >>

no, but seriously... SERIOUSLY.

...i've been converted to the dark side.

{g}

*erin

"it's not like i'm mike bullard for crying outloud!" - ed the sock

http://www.glimmer.org/

april spring

Sep 22, 2001, 1:48:24 PM9/22/01
>no, but seriously... SERIOUSLY.
>

>...i've been converted to the dark side.

heheh..

also, picturing him reading a comic called "teen boat" is awesome too. ;)

AMYSA

Sep 22, 2001, 2:30:28 PM9/22/01
sarah said:

>did you happen to catch the uk adverts (online, obviously {g}) for pizza hut
>that used an edited version of TMBG's "twisting" to advertise their twisted
>crust? that was quite.. interesting. they're still archived somewhere.

oh my...i didn't see that. i'll go watch them now.

Tay-vee

Sep 22, 2001, 3:04:53 PM9/22/01

>>no, but seriously... SERIOUSLY.
>>

>>...i've been converted to the dark side.
>
>heheh..
>
>also, picturing him reading a comic called "teen boat" is awesome too. ;)

TEEN BOAT!!!

The ANGST of being a teen, the THRILL of being a boat!!

Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY, not savvy)
==
"Welcome to LA; follow this ASS!" -Dave Foley

"Kevin would be Flintstones vitamins." -Goose, on what drug she'd do with each
Kid in the Hall

AMYSA

Sep 22, 2001, 3:27:43 PM9/22/01
sarah said:

>i always think i have a dislike for will ferrell, but then i'll see something
>like his neil diamond "forever in blue jeans" ad and laugh and say "that was
>AWEsome.." {g}

i know. i stop whatever i'm doing to watch that ad. i live in constant denial
that i actually might like him.

>the volkswagen people have really done a great job with their commercials.
>even bought the cd they've compiled of music from their ads. but then
>again,
>they got me to buy one of their cars, too. so.

i didn't even know they did that, but i just looked up the tracklist and i
might have to buy it. i keep meaning to buy that "as seen on tv" cd, which has
a lot of the same songs and other good ones from other ads.

VW has a fantastic creative team working for them. i wish i was that talented.

carmelita cortez

Sep 22, 2001, 4:11:09 PM9/22/01
<< also, picturing him reading a comic called "teen boat" is awesome too. ;) >>

watching him refusing to take it was actually pretty awesome in itself. {g}

he's a freak!

carmelita cortez

Sep 22, 2001, 4:12:06 PM9/22/01
<< >also, picturing him reading a comic called "teen boat" is awesome too. ;)

TEEN BOAT!!!

The ANGST of being a teen, the THRILL of being a boat!!

hm.

mental note: send copy of teen boat to sarah. (um. with her late presents :p)

you guys are awesomesauce.

*_*