Magical

Tavie

Feb 28, 2006, 9:29:34 PM2/28/06
It was everything it should have been. There was a definite theme
running through the material... people having babies, people getting
fat, people dealing with middling celebritydom, people breaking up
because they're getting fat, people going back in time... but I
wouldn't at all say it's more "grown up" or anything. I think they've
found a way to age gracefully. That's all I could think afterwards;
that they DID it. They found a way. They're still themselves. They
acknowledged their age ("We're the Kids in the Hall," said Dave, "and
we're all in our mid-seventies") and they did what they've always done.
It was seamless, like no time has passed. They even did their women
"Rivoli-style", with crappy wigs and oversized sweater dresses.

I loved, loved, loved it. I don't know what my favourite thing was.
Kevin's "unfinished song" was a high point; I consider that another
"recurring character" of the few that popped up in this show-- The Kid
in the Hall We Don't Like. (As Scott's
crazed-recognizing-Dave-on-the-street-guy would say, "That's your
PERSONA, eh?") And Kevin's high pitched giggle, oh my god, how I've
missed it.Bruce had some great quotables as always. There was one
during the last sketch (TOGA!) that was so good that I actually bent
down mid-sketch to grab my notebook out of my bag and scribble it down
(something I hadn't dared do throughout, sitting in the front row so
visibly, and loath to miss a SECOND of the action on stage). The quote
was, "The world is a terrible place, and I find my participation in it
to be optional." Scott's character in the Brokeback Mountain sketch was
NOT Danny Husk-- but Danny Husk has his own movie that is written and
NEEDS to be made. Dave was on FIRE. He lit up the damn stage. I'm not
just talking the tractor-beam eyes, people, he was so DAVE. The image
of him bouncing around in the colander hat holding up the "time
machine" screen is burned into my corneas now. I hope it never fades;
just thinking about it makes me laugh. And Mark's Professor character
is my new favourite character. I really want him to reappear. A lot.

Dark, yeah, but it spoke to me. (More gleemonex?)

Anyway... I'm on cloud NINE. I can't stop buzzing about it. The very
highest point of it all was their excitement. Scott's ENERGY after the
show, like he was running around on this terrific performance high that
HE didn't want to end any more than WE wanted it to end-- and I asked
around, and although I could get no FIRM answers because there are
logistics to be dealt with, everyone WANTS to tour. After the show I
asked Bruce, "So, are you gonna do it? You gonna go on tour again?" and
although he didn't answer verbally, he looked deeeeeep into my eyes and
nodded very seriously and slowly.

That was good enough for me, dammit!

I wish I could live this weekend all over again.

--
Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY)
"Follow this ASS!" - Dave Foley

girloclock

Feb 28, 2006, 10:18:08 PM2/28/06
thanks for that summary, tavie. i'm still giddy about the whole thing and
don't know how i'll ever be able to sum it up properly.

it was my first time seeing them (i was really upset about missing the
2000/2001 tours) so the thursday show in particular was amazing for me. and
i loved seeing how it had evolved on saturday night.. scott was either
impressed or appalled when i mentioned how they had cut a lot out of the
intervention sketch.

i had such an amazing time, it was absolutely worth the trip and sucking up
my fear of flying. a lot of the fun was getting to meet liz, tavie, gina,
and cheryl! you guys were so great and so friendly. i hope we get to hang
out again at another kids in the hall event soon! ;)

jamie

"Tavie" <Ta...@aol.com> wrote in message

Shannon

Mar 1, 2006, 8:06:02 PM3/1/06
On 28 Feb 2006 18:29:34 -0800, "Tavie" <Ta...@aol.com> wrote:

>It was everything it should have been.

Oh, this makes me happy. It all sounds so wonderful. I hope they do
tour, and HELLO PLEASE COME TO KENTUCKY if they do. For I am but a
poor soul with a lot of student loan debt (even though I'm 34, woe)
and can't travel far.

I'm happy for you, Tavie, it sounds like an amazing time. :)

--

Shannon

"It's time to revert to that great punk rocker Shakespeare
and "to thine own self be true." It's really the punkest idea
of all time. Don't do what people tell you to, just because
they're saying it real loud and like they know what they're
talking about. Make up your own mind. Do your own thing. Heal
the way you need to heal." -- Ryan Adams

Tavie

Shannon

Mar 1, 2006, 8:26:50 PM3/1/06
On 1 Mar 2006 17:08:45 -0800, "Tavie" <Ta...@aol.com> wrote:

>I think they definitely owe a few shows to the South! As I recall, it
>was woefully neglected in 2002...

WOEFULLY. I don't think I even got to a show that year. And that,
friends and neighbors, is just Not Right. Besides, we loved them here
last time. Love, I tell you.

--

Shannon

"Open your mouth and if nothing will come through
Remember you're the one that sings
And it's a gift, life's a beautiful thing
Oh, don't waste it doll" -- Ryan Adams

Kitana

Mar 2, 2006, 12:07:51 AM3/2/06
Tavie wrote:

> And Mark's Professor character is my new favourite character. I really want him to reappear. > A lot.

I'm sure you knew the first part of this sentence would catch my
attention...

> Dark, yeah, but it spoke to me. (More gleemonex?)

... now I'm all ears. Say more? For I am surrounded by such characters.
(I say no more, because Google Groups won't let me get rid of this
email address. Bullshit.)

> Anyway... I'm on cloud NINE. I can't stop buzzing about it. The very
> highest point of it all was their excitement. Scott's ENERGY after the
> show, like he was running around on this terrific performance high

Good times... did he raid the minibar afterwards?

> I wish I could live this weekend all over again.

MWAH!

Tavie

Mar 2, 2006, 9:31:23 AM3/2/06

Kitana wrote:
> Tavie wrote:
>
> > And Mark's Professor character is my new favourite character. I really want him to reappear. > A lot.
>
> I'm sure you knew the first part of this sentence would catch my
> attention...

He's funny, with an accent (how could a Mark professor not have an
accent?) and a leather headband. Jamie got some pictures of him.

> > Dark, yeah, but it spoke to me. (More gleemonex?)
>
> ... now I'm all ears. Say more? For I am surrounded by such characters.
> (I say no more, because Google Groups won't let me get rid of this
> email address. Bullshit.)

Oh, I meant the whole thing-- my sentences got broken up-- not that the
Professor was *particularly* dark-- that whole sketch was VERY silly.
Bruce's retarded Swedish sexpot teenager was a hoot.

> > Anyway... I'm on cloud NINE. I can't stop buzzing about it. The very
> > highest point of it all was their excitement. Scott's ENERGY after the
> > show, like he was running around on this terrific performance high
>
> Good times... did he raid the minibar afterwards?

He ordered a holy TON of food at the afterparty!

> > I wish I could live this weekend all over again.
>
> MWAH!

No, I'm running out of kisses... ::taps cheek:: "97...98...99...100!"

Kitana

Mar 18, 2006, 12:08:49 AM3/18/06
Tavie wrote:

> Oh, I meant the whole thing-- my sentences got broken up-- not that the
> Professor was *particularly* dark-- that whole sketch was VERY silly.
> Bruce's retarded Swedish sexpot teenager was a hoot.

Yeah, I watched the clip that Jamie posted on youtube-- my imagined
sketch wasn't as silly, and much, much darker.

> > > Anyway... I'm on cloud NINE. I can't stop buzzing about it. The very
> > > highest point of it all was their excitement. Scott's ENERGY after the
> > > show, like he was running around on this terrific performance high
> >
> > Good times... did he raid the minibar afterwards?
>
> He ordered a holy TON of food at the afterparty!

That's my boy.

> No, I'm running out of kisses... ::taps cheek:: "97...98...99...100!"

Yes, masssssssster.

K.