is everyone ok?

Gleebs

Sep 11, 2001, 12:12:15 PM9/11/01
i can't believe this.

are you all of you guys ok??

two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.

i live right near an airport, and my friend is coming to bring me to his house
in a few minutes.

i just can't believe this.

-gleebs
http://charmingdelusions.net/gleebs
..fro ho for life..
"i would love for the time to come where somebody can talk about me and not
have to talk about britney and christina in the same sentence; we're really,
really different." -jessica simpson

Kitana

Sep 11, 2001, 1:12:49 PM9/11/01
Gleebs wrote:

>are you all of you guys ok??

Gina IM'ed and Tavie's okay and on her way home. Erica's in Brooklyn, I
think. (I hope so. Pace is too close to the WTC for my comfort.) According
to sarah, erin's okay. I have yet to hear from Matt or Goose.

The circuit board at NYU is completely tied up, so I haven't heard from my
brother. My mum's in Oswego, at work, and my dad's in Albany, at home, since
he works in one of the government buildings which was evacuated. They'll
call me when they hear from my brother. According to a family friend,
Washington Square is perfectly fine (doesn't even have much smoke) so I'm
not worried about him. But from now on, he better answer his goddamned phone
when we call!!!

I still can't fucking believe this.

>two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
>we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Gleebs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I hope everybody's loved ones are okay.

>i live right near an airport, and my friend is coming to bring me to his
house
>in a few minutes.

That sounds like a good idea.

Stay safe, people. Because we need you. (And when we think about it, we
REALLY need you. <g>)

--
*Kitana~

"Oh, Koko. You and I, we understand each other.
We're the long-armed people!" -- Julia Child

"Defy the gods? Don't make me laugh." -- The Sumerians

I own Stummies

Sep 11, 2001, 2:39:28 PM9/11/01
I can't believe this either. I was just sitting in a waiting room waiting to
get my surgery and I see on the news that the twin towers are on fire. I just
kind of watched it and thought "Didn't this happen to the empire state
building? Ay, it'll be ok." Then I went into my surgery and almost the minute I
was about to fall asleep I heard this lady gasp. Then when I woke up the
doctor informed me that both buildings have collapsed, the pentagon was on
fire, and there was another plane that crashed somewhere in PA.

Jeepers' creepers. Terrorists. Another War. All I can do is shiver and hope
that everything works out smoothly with the rescuing crew, and no evil gas will
spread.

: : :n a t a l i e n o o d l e h e a d: : :
"A lot of creative people hear voices, have crazy thoughts, want to jump of
bridges. So fucking what?" -Thom Yorke
"You smell like ass." -Betty Bunt Cake
"I say things that are really propound." -Dan

beth the marvelous

Sep 11, 2001, 2:47:23 PM9/11/01
I'm really in shock and having a little trouble since it hits so close to home
(I'm right in NJ). Watching kids leaving school in tears, because their parents
work there is one of the hardest I've ever experiences.

My prayers goes out to everyone and I'm really happy that everyone from the
newsgroup is safe, because I was worried about all of you.

I'm sure Scott and Mark are okay, but they're in my prayers as well.

beth
http://www.envy.nu/hipsville

Thomas F. Van Horne

Sep 11, 2001, 2:52:38 PM9/11/01
In article <Snrn7.15719$BS1.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Kitana" <myevi...@angelfire.com> wrote:

>Gina IM'ed and Tavie's okay and on her way home. Erica's in Brooklyn, I
>think. (I hope so. Pace is too close to the WTC for my comfort.) According
>to sarah, erin's okay. I have yet to hear from Matt or Goose.
>
>The circuit board at NYU is completely tied up, so I haven't heard from my
>brother. My mum's in Oswego, at work, and my dad's in Albany, at home, since
>he works in one of the government buildings which was evacuated. They'll
>call me when they hear from my brother. According to a family friend,
>Washington Square is perfectly fine (doesn't even have much smoke) so I'm
>not worried about him. But from now on, he better answer his goddamned phone
>when we call!!!
>
>I still can't fucking believe this.
>
>>two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
>>we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.
>
>{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Gleebs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
>
>I hope everybody's loved ones are okay.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kitana, Gleebs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hey, K, thanks for the update-- keep cool, history happens-- just try to stay
out from under and hope everybody is OK.

The SHEER BLATANT USELESS PATHETIC POINTLESS _STUPIDITY_!!!
its not as if this will change US policy somehow
its not as if this so much as scratches America's economy
its not as if this does ANYTHING to America's ability to wage war

just kills a bunch of people for absolutely no purpose.

So now we'll retaliate and blow up a bunch more people and in a few years this
will just be another old disaster. <anger, sadness, frustration>

I'm Hip... I'm Cool... I'm 45! (well, at least one out of three)
www.hometown.aol.com/ohi0knight/

--Tom V.

Alan Cohen

Sep 11, 2001, 3:01:59 PM9/11/01

> I'm Hip... I'm Cool... I'm 45! (well, at least one out of three)
> www.hometown.aol.com/ohi0knight/

Damn, I was just about to ad that as my sig. The third part unfortunately
applies to me. And only the third.

Alan

Paranoid Android

Sep 11, 2001, 3:17:02 PM9/11/01
>are you all of you guys ok??

Physically, yes. I hope everyone else is ok too - I was so worried about
everyone. I was in school when we heard about it. Classes pretty much ended
(for me anyway) and we went to the auditorium to watch the CNN coverage of
it.....it was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen in my life.

>two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
>we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.

{{{Gleebs}}} ....although pathetic brackets can barely express how upsetting
this whole thing is.

Oh fuck, I really hope everyone is okay. And Scott & Mark, too. (I heard they
were in NYC)

~Jessica~
....toast "loving". it's when you "love" or get "loved" with toast.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/jesspage

XRocKxStaRzX

Sep 11, 2001, 3:30:48 PM9/11/01
i'm ok. are the rest of you ok?

AMYSA

Sep 11, 2001, 3:32:29 PM9/11/01
Ohi0K...@aol.com said:

>So now we'll retaliate and blow up a bunch more people and in a few years
>this
>will just be another old disaster. <anger, sadness, frustration>

i think you're oversimplifying the enourmous long term impact that this is
going to have on the united states as well as the rest of the world. this is an
act of terrorism that's never been seen before. this will change things.
perhaps not in the way that the terrorists want, but certainly in a way that
will effect all of us for a very long time.

amy
"that's what the internet is for...slandering others anonymously."--banky

XRocKxStaRzX

Sep 11, 2001, 3:33:14 PM9/11/01

>I'm sure Scott and Mark are okay, but they're in my prayers as well.

SCOTT AND MARK?!?!? WHAT?!?!?

carmelita cortez

Sep 11, 2001, 4:02:39 PM9/11/01
amy said:
<<
>Ohi0K...@aol.com said:
>So now we'll retaliate and blow up a bunch more people and in a few years
>this
>will just be another old disaster. <anger, sadness, frustration>

i think you're oversimplifying the enourmous long term impact that this is
going to have on the united states as well as the rest of the world. this is an
act of terrorism that's never been seen before. this will change things.
perhaps not in the way that the terrorists want, but certainly in a way that
will effect all of us for a very long time.

i had a much longer post than this... but i think amy's right, and that's all i
can really bring myself to post.

completely shocked,
*erin

Thomas F. Van Horne

Sep 11, 2001, 4:16:42 PM9/11/01
In article <20010911153229...@mb-fl.aol.com>, am...@aol.comasutra (AMYSA) wrote:
>Ohi0K...@aol.com said:
>
>>So now we'll retaliate and blow up a bunch more people and in a few years
>>this
>>will just be another old disaster. <anger, sadness, frustration>
>
>i think you're oversimplifying the enourmous long term impact that this is
>going to have on the united states as well as the rest of the world. this is an
>act of terrorism that's never been seen before. this will change things.
>perhaps not in the way that the terrorists want, but certainly in a way that
>will effect all of us for a very long time.

May be my warped perspective-- for the last 12 years I've been
involved in Disaster Recovery planning for major corporations and had to deal
with routine, specific planning for someone setting off a small nuclear weapon
in midtown Manhatten (among other lovely thoughts).
There IS no solution that we will accept, so we will continue to
accept the risk. We have absolutely no defense against terrorist attacks in
this country and CANNOT have any real defense (we're not going to -- not able
to -- break up Manhatten just because it represents an enormous concentration
of resources/people in a small area -- and it cannot function as a city with
meaningful security measures that would block this kind (or other kinds) of
attacks.)
Jerusalem, Tokyo, Manhatten, London are ALL primary targets and can't
avoid it whiile they continue to exist and while this attack may now wake up
the general populace to that fact, anyone who's studied it has been living
with that reality for years.

Peardream

Sep 11, 2001, 4:27:21 PM9/11/01
>>I'm sure Scott and Mark are okay, but they're in my prayers as well.

i am praying for their safety also. this is such a horrid day....one of my
first thoughts were of scott, and then my thoughts turned to those of you who
reside in New York.....i feel devestated and helpless.....we are not as safe as
we believe we are....using our own planes against us---it's awful.

i don't know what else to say.=(
peardream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was a cesarian birth because my
mom always liked that hairstyle."- Dave Foley
"I had the peardream again."
"Was I there?"
"Yes, I think I'm insane."
"I know you are."

Tilly

Sep 11, 2001, 4:31:58 PM9/11/01
Whew...I was gonna ask. I live in NYC and I'm alright...I was going
down the list of people I knew that could've been affected and I was
worried about Tavie and Kitana for a while. I'm relieved you guys are
okay.

I am in shock.

~Tilly
-------

Tay-vee

Sep 11, 2001, 5:48:15 PM9/11/01
Gleebs:

>two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
>we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.

I haven't read any further messages but I hope your cousins are safe and
accounted for. My thoughts are with you and your family. And everyone's. My
thoughts are everywhere.

Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY, not savvy)
==
"Welcome to LA; follow this ASS!" -Dave Foley

"Kevin would be Flintstones vitamins." -Goose, on what drug she'd do with each
Kid in the Hall

her god, spot

Sep 11, 2001, 10:28:26 PM9/11/01
Tay-vee wrote
> Gleebs:
>
> >two of my cousins were in the world trade centre when it was attacked, and
> >we've heard from one of them already...we're still waiting on the other.
> I haven't read any further messages but I hope your cousins are safe and
> accounted for.

i can't imagine what your family is going through, and i hope for the
best for all of you.

>My thoughts are with you and your family. And everyone's. My
> thoughts are everywhere.

i've never been so filled with love and so overwhelmed by hatred all
at once. i never want to feel this again.

serra

Chikako

Sep 12, 2001, 12:55:13 AM9/12/01
It's been quite a while since my last post here. Probably most of you
guys don't know or remember me, but I just wanted to come out and say
something about that awful incident that just happened this morning.
I'm a Japanese girl who's working in California. My boss called me up
at home around 7:30 AM PST this morning and told me to turn on the TV
right away. Then I saw the horrific image of WTC collapsing to the
ground. I was really shocked by it but couldn't take off my eyes of
it. My parents, relatives and some of my friends called or Emailed me
from Japan in the afternoon. They knew that I lived far away from NY,
but the incident was a huge news in Japan as well and they wanted to
make sure that I wasn't in NY at the moment by any chance. Then I
thought I might have been there. I mean, I had no plans to visit
there on business or anything this morning, but I imagined if I had
have and I shivered. That could've happened to any of us. I really
hope everyone here is okay...

Chikako

shimmerfreak

Sep 12, 2001, 9:25:07 AM9/12/01
i'm relieved everyone here seems to be okay. i'm not a really religous
person, but i did a lot of praying yesterday, and i think i'll
continue that in the weeks to come. it's going to be a long time
before we have answers, and even longer before we can go back to the
way life was before, if we can ever do that.

::hugs to all of you::

tara

Tay-vee

Sep 12, 2001, 12:13:30 PM9/12/01
Chikako, I remember you. We met after the KITH show in Detroit.

I know what you mean about your family being worried even though you're so far
away. There's been a lot of coverage here of the horror at the LA airports
where the planes were bound. And I think everyone in the country is affected in
some way-- knew someone who was killed or almost killed.

I met a man from Tokyo yesterday as I was walking. He was only in town for a
month, staying in a hotel. I can't spell his name right because my sister isn't
awake to help me but it sounded like "Shizoko". He was asking passersby to
borrow their cell phones, holding out a calling card to prove they wouldn't be
charged, trying to call Tokyo and let his family know he was all right. No
one's cell phones worked and he looked so lost. The people I was walking
with-- good people, strangers I met who were all in the same situation-- we saw
him sitting on a bench just staring into space, not sure of where to go,
afraid. We asked him to join us and he walked with us but he was afraid to
leave at first because he said the squirrels and birds were in the park (where
we were resting) and he wanted to stay where they were.

He's okay now. He went home with one of my walking friends. I'm sure he was
able to call Tokyo from her home. It's all so scary.

Thomas F. Van Horne

Sep 12, 2001, 12:39:40 PM9/12/01
In article <20010912121330...@mb-cg.aol.com>, ta...@aol.complaintbx (Tay-vee) wrote:

.

>afraid. We asked him to join us and he walked with us but he was afraid to
>leave at first because he said the squirrels and birds were in the park (where
>we were resting) and he wanted to stay where they were.
>
>He's okay now. He went home with one of my walking friends. I'm sure he was
>able to call Tokyo from her home. It's all so scary.

Tavie,

I am so glad you are OK. I can't imagine what it was like to
witness that first hand and then to be caught up in the evacuation of a
major portion of Manhattan -- that used to be considered a bad joke in
planning circles -- the evacuation of even a major part of Manhattan was
widely thought to be a practical impossibility in under 3 days until they did
it yesterday-- I am just very glad that you, Kitana, and all our electronic
friends in the hub are OK.
I live under one of the major approaches to Port Columbus and always
have at least 4 or 5 planes in my sky at some altitude and I was just
realizing that I hadn't heard even a faint jet since yesterday...
4 teams with box cutters and other improved knives including 4 trained
pilots-- say 16 people...

moowoo2

Sep 12, 2001, 3:16:40 PM9/12/01
I know it has been said many times, but this is all so sickening. I am relieved
to hear that everyone here is ok, and I hope that whomever is still missing loved
ones I hope that you near positive news from them soon.

I am far from both NY and DC. My husband was on his way to Montreal, but the
flight turned around and landed back in Spokane. However, one of my friends was
in NY on a business trip and was scheduled to be in the WTC yesterday. I have
not heard from her and am incredibly worried. I remain optimistic that as she is
not one to be up early that she was not in fact there. Her parents are in fact
also in transit somewhere and I can't get through to them either. I am keeping
my fingers crossed.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all in these terrifying times.
val

Shannon

Sep 12, 2001, 7:27:51 PM9/12/01
ta...@aol.complaintbx (Tay-vee) wrote:

>I met a man from Tokyo yesterday as I was walking. He was only in town for a
>month, staying in a hotel. I can't spell his name right because my sister isn't
>awake to help me but it sounded like "Shizoko". He was asking passersby to
>borrow their cell phones, holding out a calling card to prove they wouldn't be
>charged, trying to call Tokyo and let his family know he was all right. No
>one's cell phones worked and he looked so lost. The people I was walking
>with-- good people, strangers I met who were all in the same situation-- we saw
>him sitting on a bench just staring into space, not sure of where to go,
>afraid. We asked him to join us and he walked with us but he was afraid to
>leave at first because he said the squirrels and birds were in the park (where
>we were resting) and he wanted to stay where they were.
>
>He's okay now. He went home with one of my walking friends. I'm sure he was
>able to call Tokyo from her home. It's all so scary.

Oh god. That's so awful. How many people must be in that kind of
predicament, stuck so far from home and unable to get in touch with
anyone. This whole thing is so terrible. I'm more upset today than
yesterday. I guess it's sinking in. And that story about the guy on
the plane in Pennsylvania who called his wife has really slammed it
all home for me, I think.

Shannon

gina

Sep 12, 2001, 7:28:23 PM9/12/01
Beth wrote:
>I'm really in shock and having a little trouble since it hits so close to home
(I'm right in NJ). Watching kids leaving school in tears, because their parents
work there is one of the hardest I've ever experiences.
<
{{{Beth}}}

That is so sad...
I think that we are all going to be in shock for awhile. It crushes me
everytime I look at that skyline and see those towers gone.
I hope that all of you and your families are safe and well.

Gina

Shut the doors, they're comin' in the windows! Granny Sousley

Kitana

Sep 12, 2001, 10:23:54 PM9/12/01
Val wrote:

>However, one of my friends was
>in NY on a business trip and was scheduled to be in the WTC yesterday. I
have
>not heard from her and am incredibly worried. I remain optimistic that as
she is
>not one to be up early that she was not in fact there.

Oh, Val. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Let's hope for the best. Maybe she slept in. I hope so.

Your friend and her parents are in my thoughts tonight.

Celia

Sep 13, 2001, 10:09:01 PM9/13/01
Val I was thinking about you a lot today even before I read this post. I figured you
had to have known someone connected to the event somehow and was hoping you'd had
good news not bad. I hope you've had word by now. I will continue to keep you in my
thoughts.

~Celia

Djinifer

Sep 14, 2001, 11:30:15 PM9/14/01
I'm checking in late, but just wanted to pop up here and say something. I'm
certainly relieved that all my NYC friends are OK and I hope everyone here
has heard from their loved ones and all is well.

I was listening on the radio in my office as the whole thing unfolded--it
seemed like the world was ending. I'm still so shocked and almost
physically ill. I don't want to listen to anymore news, but I can't help
but listen.

We're certainly going to see some changes and they're probably long overdue,
to be honest, in terms of airline security and improvements in government
intelligence gathering.

It's good to be able to come here and talk. I am so thankful for the
internet.

Stay safe,
--
Djinifer
Djin's Kids in the Hall Audio Page

Thomas F. Van Horne

Sep 16, 2001, 12:00:34 PM9/16/01
In article <tq5ij7m...@corp.supernews.com>, "Djinifer" <djin...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

>We're certainly going to see some changes and they're probably long overdue,
>to be honest, in terms of airline security and improvements in government
>intelligence gathering.
>
>It's good to be able to come here and talk. I am so thankful for the
>internet.
>
>Stay safe,

All blessings are mixed-- Bin Laden's organization communicates by encoding
secondary messages in GIF formatted images posted to usenet boards--
undetectable if you don't know the keys-- you can download the encode/decode
utility tools all over-- the application technology sprang up so fast, I
gather, that NSA has gotten caught flat footed.

jinxykat

Sep 16, 2001, 12:34:35 PM9/16/01
This is a little belated, I know, but it's good to hear that you all seem to
be OK. What a horrific and sickening series of events. . .
I live right next to a major military base, which worries me somewhat, but I
know it's nothing compared to what those of you in and around NY and
Washington are experiencing. My heart goes out to you. . .

Peace,
Shilo

"I figured how far can you coast on charm? Well, pretty far actually."
-- Dave Foley

Djinifer

Sep 16, 2001, 4:30:34 PM9/16/01
Tom said:

<<All blessings are mixed-- Bin Laden's organization communicates by
encoding secondary messages in GIF formatted images posted to usenet

boards--undetectable if you don't know the keys-- you can download the

encode/decode utility tools all over-- the application technology sprang up
so fast, I gather, that NSA has gotten caught flat footed>>

Well, I'm certainly not going to blame the internet's existence. The
government was monitoring his phone calls until the media leaked it and he
began using encrypted internet messages and porno chat rooms instead (making
him much harder to track). The internet is merely a tool and can be used
for many purposes.....definitely a mixed blessing, and a reality.

Thomas F. Van Horne

Sep 16, 2001, 8:46:58 PM9/16/01
In article <tqa2o9h...@corp.supernews.com>, "Djinifer" <djin...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
>Tom said:
>
><<All blessings are mixed-- Bin Laden's organization communicates by
>encoding secondary messages in GIF formatted images posted to usenet
>boards--undetectable if you don't know the keys-- you can download the
>encode/decode utility tools all over-- the application technology sprang up
>so fast, I gather, that NSA has gotten caught flat footed>>
>
>Well, I'm certainly not going to blame the internet's existence. The
>government was monitoring his phone calls until the media leaked it and he
>began using encrypted internet messages and porno chat rooms instead (making
>him much harder to track). The internet is merely a tool and can be used
>for many purposes.....definitely a mixed blessing, and a reality.

Yeah, and its really just the power of these machines, of which the esoteric
coding systems are just examples. Some of my old Radio Astronomy buddies are
Ham radio buffs and operate an internet backbone over amatuer radio lines-- if
the hard backbones were destroyed, they could restore the internet with
wireless packet transmitters, so long as they had the computers (bandwidth
would be a bit of a premium). The good in the tech is it empowers indivduals,
the bad is it empowers BAD individuals--

The wisest words I ever heard on television: "I guess I've learned that one
person really can make a difference... but most of the time they shouldn't"
--Marge Simpson

Djinifer

Sep 16, 2001, 9:25:23 PM9/16/01
Tom said:

<<Yeah, and its really just the power of these machines, of which the
esoteric coding systems are just examples. Some of my old Radio Astronomy
buddies are
Ham radio buffs and operate an internet backbone over amatuer radio lines--
if the hard backbones were destroyed, they could restore the internet with
wireless packet transmitters, so long as they had the computers (bandwidth
would be a bit of a premium). The good in the tech is it empowers
indivduals, the bad is it empowers BAD individuals-- >>

Yes, exactly. (You know, I think I actually understood most of that <g>).