Another X-Files / Homicide Crossover

Caleb Cohen

Nov 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/15/97
to Lucinda Cohen, Eric Sokol

I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).

Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
couple of years.

Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
the like ever being discussed.

Caleb
--
I see the moon, the moon is bleeding
There is a shadow on the sun

James Lloyd Hill

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

In article <346E3B14...@gti.net>, Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote:

>I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
>investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
>in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).

Uh, no.

>Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
>the like ever being discussed.

I've manfully refrained from watching "M.E., Myself, and I" a second time,
but I have a vague recollection that she blew insouciantly into Baltimore
from Texas or Yokelahoma or some such place.

Jim
--
j-h...@ews.uiuc.edu http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/

"I can't believe we're not beating _Bridges._ Not to take anything away
from it, but come on!" -- _Homicide_ Producer Tom Fontana

Theplotter

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

Caleb writes:

<<Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
couple of years.>>

Her name <first> was given as something like 'Genna' or something like that.
Also, I don't remember the credits, but I don't think it was her, just someone
who looked a buttload like her.
The mole was missing on the chin, for starters.

Love,
Plotter
"I don't like to smile unless I have a reason."
-Daria

Dave Locke

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

Caleb Cohen phosphorized:

> I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
> investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
> in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).

From TV Guide: "In the episode "The Jersey Devil," Mulder and Scully
go to Atlantic City to investigate a legendary beast, supposedly
possessed of bat's wings, a horse's head, cloven hooves and a tail,
that is said to inhabit New Jersey's Pine Barrens.
"We have found no substantive link between the mythical creature
and the current holders of the NHL's Stanley Cup."

Information on the legend of the Jersey Devil can be found at
<http://www.serve.com/shadows/jd.htm>.

> Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
> now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
> her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
> show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
> couple of years.
>

> Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
> the like ever being discussed.

From Episode Info on "The Jersey Devil" episode:

Original Air Date: 10/08/93
CAST:
DAVID DUCHOVNY as Special Agent Fox Mulder
GILLIAN ANDERSON as Special Agent Dana Scully
GUEST CAST:
MICHAEL MACRAE as Ranger Peter Brullet
GREGORY SIERRA as Dr. Diamond
WAYNE TIPPIT as Detective Thompson
CLAIRE STANSFIELD as The Jersey Devil
JILL TEED as Glenna
TAMSIN KELSEY as Ellen
ANDREW AIRLIE as Rob
BILL DOW as Dad
HROTHGAR MATHEWS as Jack
JAYME KNOX as Mom
SCOTT SWANSON as 1st Officer
SEAN O'BYRNE as 2nd Officer
DAVID LEWIS as Young Officer
D. NEIL MONK as SWAT Team Officer
WRITTEN BY:
CHRIS CARTER
DIRECTED BY:
JOE NAPOLITANO

The episode guide doesn't list any character named Cox, and doesn't
show Michelle Forbes as having ever appeared on the show.

If you've got other information on this, I'd be interested. Lots of
X-Files watchers in here.

---
Dave dave...@bigfoot.com
http://members.tripod.com/~DaveLocke Homicide: Links on the Sites
"We only do links." Start here for references to all matters H:LotS.

Lynn

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

In article <347a7406....@news.pipeline.com>,
dave...@bigfoot.com (Dave Locke) wrote:

[snip]

>> Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
>> now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
>> her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
>> show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
>> couple of years.
>>
>> Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
>> the like ever being discussed.

[snip]

>The episode guide doesn't list any character named Cox, and doesn't
>show Michelle Forbes as having ever appeared on the show.
>
>If you've got other information on this, I'd be interested. Lots of
>X-Files watchers in here.

She was there. I wasn't really watching it, but she was in the scene when
I turned it on. I only heard her say one line, so maybe she didn't warrant
being credited.

BTW - any of you X-filers ever watch Sleepwalkers? It was on NBC for two
weeks and then suddenly disappeared. I just checked NBC's website and it
isn't even listed. No wonder I hardly watch the networks. Sheesh.

Lynn

Brick Barrientos

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

j-h...@ews.uiuc.edu (James Lloyd Hill) wrote:

>In article <346E3B14...@gti.net>, Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote:

>>I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
>>investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
>>in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).

>Uh, no.

>>Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
>>the like ever being discussed.

>I've manfully refrained from watching "M.E., Myself, and I" a second time,

>but I have a vague recollection that she blew insouciantly into Baltimore
>from Texas or Yokelahoma or some such place.

>Jim

I thought Cox came down to Baltimore from Buffalo. She mentions
Buffalo in the rape case where the victim was alive until the end of
the episode.

Brick

Mehitabel

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

Theplotter wrote:

> Caleb writes:
>
> <<Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
> now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
> her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
> show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
> couple of years.>>
>
> Her name <first> was given as something like 'Genna' or something like that.
> Also, I don't remember the credits, but I don't think it was her, just someone
> who looked a buttload like her.
> The mole was missing on the chin, for starters.
>
> Love,
> Plotter

I just saw that ep a week or two ago and I was pretty sure it was
her...I looked especially for the mole and yep, it was there all
right...

'bel

grav...@scf.usc.edu

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

Lynn wrote:

> BTW - any of you X-filers ever watch Sleepwalkers? It was on NBC for two
> weeks and then suddenly disappeared. I just checked NBC's website and it
> isn't even listed. No wonder I hardly watch the networks. Sheesh.
>
> Lynn

Sleepwalkers is Canceled. I hadn't even heard about it till
I saw the article on its cancellation. BTW, according to Variety,
Homicide still hasn't beat Nash Bridges since the premiere.

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls...

-Jamie

SWK22

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

Considering that the episode of the X-Files took place in 1989, and considering
its wild, paranoid, government conspiracy theme, I was imagining how perfect
Crosetti would've been for this case. He would've eaten it up, for sure --
and then almost certainly driven Lewis crazy for weeks.

deejay

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97
to SWK22

I don't know. I thought Munch had a lot of fun with this. Especially at
the end: "Aluminum foil makes a great hat." Classic Munch. Though I
think the timeline is off as far as H:LOTS goes; in the first H:LOTS ep,
weren't they portraying Munch as a relatively new arrival to the squad?
Also, he didn't start dressing like an undertaker until later in the
series. Finally, if Munch is the primary on this case, where's
Boulander?

Wel,, even if they had brought back Stan, we wouldn't have had any of
the Big Man/Munch by-play we all love. The X-Files dialogue style is
just too damn rigid for that sort of thing, unless it's used to prmote
Mulder/Scully UST.

deejay

ArcherBlue

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

>She was there. I wasn't really watching it, but she was in the scene when
>I turned it on. I only heard her say one line, so maybe she didn't warrant
>being credited.

Any speaking line is credited. I saw the same episode and I saw someone who
looked A LOT like MF, but it wasn't her.

Paul McElligott
arche...@aol.com

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the
extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children
smart."
H. L. Mencken

Bruce Hietbrink

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

> Wel,, even if they had brought back Stan, we wouldn't have had any of
> the Big Man/Munch by-play we all love.

Wouldn't you just love to see the Big Man sitting across the desk
repeating "Defective Monk" over and over?

Bruce Hietbrink

Lauren Koons

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Dave Locke (dave...@bigfoot.com) posted:
: DIRECTED BY:
: JOE NAPOLITANO

oooo, good director....too bad it was a really bad ep. perhaps Joe should
think about joining the cast of Homicide....that would be coool.

--Lauren--

Lauren Koons

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Chris Chan (chri...@po.eecs.berkeley.edu) queried:
: maybe you're confusing this guy with Joe Pantoliano, who was in
: "Bound" and "The Fugitive"?
:
: or maybe I'm confused.

I'm gonna look it up right now on the Web and find out. I think, though,
that you might be right.

--Lauren--

Chris Chan

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

maybe you're confusing this guy with Joe Pantoliano, who was in
"Bound" and "The Fugitive"?

or maybe I'm confused.

chris

Joan P. Quinn

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Actors on TV do not always get credited

Todd

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

In article <64v041$lge$3...@news.nyu.edu>, lk...@is5.nyu.edu (Lauren Koons) thus spake:
>Chris Chan (chri...@po.eecs.berkeley.edu) queried:
>: maybe you're confusing this guy with Joe Pantoliano, who was in

>: "Bound" and "The Fugitive"?
>:
>: or maybe I'm confused.
>
>I'm gonna look it up right now on the Web and find out. I think, though,
>that you might be right.
>

> --Lauren--

He is. You're not.

Todd

Todd

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

In article <651un3$6jb$2...@news.nyu.edu>, lk...@is5.nyu.edu (Lauren Koons) thus spake:

the first
>time that I am wrong.
>:-)
>
> --Lauren--

While you're at it, there's the second one.

Todd

Lauren Koons

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Todd (tpre...@pepvax.pepperdine.edu) wrote:
: In article <651un3$6jb$2...@news.nyu.edu>, lk...@is5.nyu.edu (Lauren Koons) thus spake:

I realize that you might totally enjoy this but I'm going to have to smack
you with my whip a few times for that comment.

--Lauren--

Todd

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

In article <6544kj$qoa$2...@news.nyu.edu>, lk...@is5.nyu.edu (Lauren Koons) thus spake:

>: While you're at it, there's the second one.
>
>I realize that you might totally enjoy this but I'm going to have to smack
>you with my whip a few times for that comment.
>

> --Lauren--

Er, when's that HomiCon again?

Todd

Jeff Schaefer

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

I love Homicide and the X-Files

Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote in article
<346E3B14...@gti.net>...

> I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
> investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
> in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).
>

> Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
> now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
> her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
> show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
> couple of years.
>

> Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
> the like ever being discussed.

D. Barrington

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Jeff Schaefer (JSch...@tek-star.net) wrote:
: I love Homicide and the X-Files

: Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote in article
: <346E3B14...@gti.net>...
: > I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
: > investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
: > in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).
: >
: > Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
: > now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
: > her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
: > show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
: > couple of years.
: >
: > Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
: > the like ever being discussed.

I'm pretty sure that in the Cox's first episode of _Homicide_ she
said that she had previously been a medical examiner in Buffalo.
She moved to Baltimore to be near her ailing father*, so she may
well have grown up there.

I remember noting that Cox must be fairly hot shit professionally
to be able to get the Chief ME position in the major city of her
choice at a relatively young age.

Dave MB

spoiler info for Cox' first season below:

We learn a few episodes later, in the families-of-murder-victims
support group episode, that Cox's dad was an assault victim and
became a murder victim when he finally died of his injuries. Cox
was shown taking particular care of his body...

Lynn

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote in article
><346E3B14...@gti.net>...
[snip]

>> Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,
>> now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
>> her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
>> show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
>> couple of years.
[snip]

They re-ran that x-files ep the following week. It wasn't her. Looked close
enough to be her sister, though.

Lynn

Robert Postuma

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

bar...@fiji.cs.umass.edu (D. Barrington) wrote:

>Jeff Schaefer (JSch...@tek-star.net) wrote:
>: I love Homicide and the X-Files
>

>: Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote in article
>: <346E3B14...@gti.net>...

>: > I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
>: > investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
>: > in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).

CLIP

>: > Do we know Cox's background from Homicide. I don't recall anything of
>: > the like ever being discussed.
>
>I'm pretty sure that in the Cox's first episode of _Homicide_ she
>said that she had previously been a medical examiner in Buffalo.
>She moved to Baltimore to be near her ailing father*, so she may
>well have grown up there.

Saw this episode in the past week on BRavo.
Yes, Cox had been a M.E. in Buffalo . though she had only been there 2
or 3 years. Before that she had resided in Baltimore, where she grew
up. She was returning to be near her ailing father - who had died less
than 2 weeks after she moved back home( during the same episode where
she was introduced ).

In that first episode, Baylis hit on her continiously. At that point
it seemed like she would be Baylis' new love interest on the show.
However, I think after he had found out that he had been flirting with
her in the morgue, while her dead father was mere feet away ( Tim
totally unknowing ), he forever got a creepy feeling at the thought
and never hit on her again.

She mentioned that she always fell for "the wrong guy"-- and a few
episodes later she started her entanglement with Mikey.

Josiah Neeley

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

D. Barrington wrote:

> Jeff Schaefer (JSch...@tek-star.net) wrote:
> : I love Homicide and the X-Files
>
> : Caleb Cohen <coh...@gti.net> wrote in article
> : > I'm watching an old X-Files episode on our local Fox affiliate. They're
> : > investigating an X-File of "The New jersey Devil" which is an old legend
> : > in our state (now the hockey team nickname makes sense, huh?).
> : >
> : > Anyway, they get to South Jersey and the ME is none other than Dr. Cox,

> : > now the chief ME on Homicide in the city of Baltimore. I didn't hear
> : > her addressed by name, so I don't know if they carried that part of the
> : > show with. This character must have pre-dated the Homicide one by a
> : > couple of years.

Except that it isn't the same actress. Believe me, I looked twice and
it's not.

Josiah