American scripts

Michael C. Cerone

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
Someone posted on this newgroup saying that since Highlander the series
is filmed in Canada and France that only European and Canadian writters
are eligable to submit scripts. Is this true? Someone else told me
that it is in fact filmed in Seatle. I thought it was filmed in
Vancouver and I do remember Canada passing a law about Canadian
buisnesses using only Canadian help, so I tend to believe the no
American's need apply post, but I wanted to see if anyone else has
heard this.

thanks

Mike Cerone

Claire Maier

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
Michael C. Cerone (cer...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Someone posted on this newgroup saying that since Highlander the series

Highlander is not filmed in Seattle. It's filmed in Vancouver and
Paris. And it's true that only Canadian and French writers are eligible
to submit scripts (on rare occasions citizens of another European Union
country can be used). But it isn't because of where the show is filmed,
it's because the Canadian and French *governments* are helping to fund
the show, and their taxpayers' money is going to get jobs for the
citizens of their own country, not someone elses'.

Even so, if Highlander were accepting money from only one government,
they would be able to use some outside writers-- the countries don't
require that all of their employees be of the country, only some of them
(about half). But since Highlander has this sort of arrangement with
*two* governments, the non-Canadian employees must be French ones, and
vice versa.

This leaves almost nothing for anyone else, and what little there is is
generally used for the actors, but even they must be predominantly
Canadian or European Union. This is why Highlander has so many recurring
actors who are either Canadian (Jim Byrnes, Lisa Howard, Philip Akin),
French (Alexandra Vandernoot, Michel Modo), or British (European Union)
(Adrian Paul, Peter Wingfield, David Robb). The only recurring American
actors are Stan Kirsch and Elizabeth Gracen.