JS Millionaire 8/18 (spoilers, but you know that)

Jeremy Soria

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
You West Coast viewers might want to wait until about 12 midnight Eastern Time
to read this Update.

*shot of Statue of Liberty at night*
*voice of an ER cast member*

Previously on Millionaire...

Hillary Daw suddenly realizes that she's a MUSIC professor, not a HISTORY
professor when faced with a question about the U.S. Constitution, and after
having answered nine questions correctly, she bails out on the tenth and keeps
$16,000.

Con 4 Participant Norman Payne was the only one who could put four Jackson
siblings in order of youngest to oldest and gets the hot seat.

After sailing through nine questions, he tackles the tenth one about the
Unabomber. After using his 50/50 and AT&T Phone-A-Friend LifeLines, he has a
check in his name for $32,000.

All of ATGS wants to know...

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO?

Oh, wait, that show was cancelled, so instead, they want to know...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

The answer: Norman Payne! Let's see if he'll succeed.

Regis Philbin's your host, rejoining Norman in the center stage. With 10 down
and 5 to go, here is the next question for $64,000:

The name of what toy translates into English as "Play Well"?
A. Atari B. Yo-yo C. Hacky Sack D.Lego

Knowing that it's not Hacky Sack, he uses his last LifeLine, Ask the Audience.

The results: 70-15-3-12, favoring Atari.
"I wonder about those 3% favoring Hackysack."

He's going with Atari - remembering that regardless of what happens, he won't
lose a thing at this point...

Regis: "Oh my gosh...

Norman...

I'm sorry. The correct answer is (D) Lego."

Norman is astounded.

So he leaves with his $32,000. Way to go, Norman!

Total after three contestants: $49,000.

And now, to our next QUALIFYING ROUND:

Place the famous entrepeneurs in order of birth, old to young:
A. Donald Trump B. Bill Gates C. Ted Turner D. Lee Iacocca

Correct answer: D-C-A-B
And the next contestant is... David Honey of Raleigh, North Carolina!

After the break, we discover that David Honey is studying his Ph.D in Computer
Engineering. He's also a marathon runner. Hopefully his running ability will
come in very handy when he takes his 15-question journey toward one million
dollars.

For $100:
What name is given to the calm area at the center of a hurricane?
David correctly answers eye.

For $200:
Which of the following dance styles originated in the 1920s?
The Charleston The Twist The Jitterbug The Minuet
David chooses the Charleston...
...and he's won $200.

For $300:
What city was the setting for the classic TV show Cheers?
He says Boston, which is right for $300.

For $500:
According to legend, Cleopatra was fatally bitten by what creature?
He goes with the asp - certainly not an aspy answer, for $500.

This fifth question is for a guaranteed $1000:
To whom is singer Barbra Straisand currently married?
He correctly answers James Brolin, and he's got at least $1000 in his pocket.

And now, let's have a break with McDonald's, one of the presenters of WHO
WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?.

Okay. Back with David Honea. Not only has David qualified for the guaranteed
$1000, David has also qualified for the US Olympic Trials! We might see him
again in Sydney after this is all over.

So, on we go for $2000, and speaking of the Olympics:
Kerri Strug earned a team Olympic gold medal in '96 despite injuring her ankle
in what event?
A. Balance Beam B. Floor Exercise C. Vault D. Uneven Bars
He confidently says Vault...

...and he has $2000.

For $4000:
Which of the following toy companies makes Barbie dolls?

David: I'm picturing the little box that says "Barbie by Mattel."
Reege: It must have been a long time since you've played with them!
David: It is! And really, I should pull 'em out more often!

He correctly answers Mattel for $4000.

For $8000:
Who was the lead singer of the Commodores?
He knows that it was Lionel Richie - and he's got $8000.

For $16,000:
Katherine Graham is the former publisher of what daily newspaper?
A. New York Times B. Los Angeles Times
C. USA Today D. Washington Post

He says Washington Post...

...and he has $16,000!

And now, the tenth question, with all three LifeLines at his disposal, for a
guaranteed $32,000:

What's the term for a wicker basket used to carry a newly caught fish?
A. Creel B. Purse C. Straw Box D. Hip Box

He takes a deep puffy breath, and admits that he is not a fisherman.

He uses the 50/50, leaving us with:

A. Creel D. Hip Box

Still thinking about it - has a feeling about "creel"...

... but he's not too sure for the risk ...

... so he will ask the audience.

The results: 66-0-2-32 (favoring (A) creel).
David looks at the chart and says that he might have influenced the audience
on his saying that he thinks it's "creel" -- then suddenly asks, "Who picked
C?"

"Wow" he says... and he uses his final LifeLine, the Phone-a-Friend. He asks
his father-in-law Ed.

During the thirty-second discussion, Ed says that he would guess a Hip Box. He
doesn't really know, but he's not sure. David asks Ed what a creel is, but he
doesn't know. Time runs out. Reege, sarcastically: "Thanks a lot, Ed..."

So, for $32,000 or $1000? Will he take the risk?

Yes... He goes for it...

Wait... maybe he doesn't.

Okay... After a lot of thought, most of it edited out because it was a portion
of the program that apparently does not affect the outcome of this question...

He will go for it! He will stick with (A) creel.

If David's answer is right, he's won $32,000.

That is his final answer...

... and ...

Reege: "Your father-in-law said 'hip box'..."
David: "He did."
Reege: "And you didn't listen to him."
David: "I didn't."

Reege: "You were RIGHT! It **IS** a creel! THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

He has won $32,000!

David is now in the same predicament that Norman was in last night... with
time up for this particular episode, he has a guaranteed $32,000 coming to
him.

Current winnings from 4 contestants so far: $81,000.

*******

So, do you have it?

Do you think you've got the grapefruits to take on fifteen questions for a
million dollars?

Then call 1-900-933-9391, now!

The call costs $1.50, and all usual disclaimers concerning 900 numbers apply
(18 or older to call, etc.). Those states who cannot participate in contests
via 900 number will be directed to a toll-free 800 number to participate.
Unfortunately, residents of Alaska and Hawaii are ineligible.

Complete rules are at the ABC website at abc.go.com .

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
is a Valleycrest Production for Buena Vista Television,
Recorded at ABC Television Center in New York City.
MILLIONAIRE: copyright 1999 Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista
Television.
This update is copyright 1999 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

Root for Lezcek in the next Qualifier tomorrow!

- Jeremy (Yeah, I'm back...) May 10, 1982: The day the music died.
We'll miss you, Musicradio 77 WABC.
--
jesoria75 (at) | GSN: Have you | If you think Reggie White is | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | played today? | a jackass, gimme a HELL YEAH~! | 3:16

Buddy, Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Rick Rude, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Kurt Bray

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
to Jeremy Soria
The Wednesday contestant is David Honea (but it rhymes with pony). He was
runner-up in the Jeopardy College Tournament in the early 90s, and I've known him
on-line for several years (both of us are runners and both of us are Jeopardy
players).

To answer an earlier question about the lifeline calls: I was one of David's pool
of five possible lifeline people that might be called. To ensure that you will be
home, they call you up in advance and tell when to be by the phone. Then when
David got in the hotseat they called me again and told me to be ready - the call
might come any minute. But as you know he called on his father-in-law instead of
me. But the gameshow people never called me back to tell me the heat was off, so
I ended up sitting by the phone for the entire 3 hour taping period.

The gameshow people were very detailed and strict about how I was to answer and
speak if called. They said I must let it ring three times and answer with only
"Hello" and so on.

I don't know how David's appearance turns out - I'll find out along with everyone
else on Thursday.

Kurt Bray

Chris M. Dickson

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <37BBA223...@nctimes.net>, Kurt Bray
<cou...@nctimes.net> writes

>To answer an earlier question about the lifeline calls: I was one of David's
>pool
>of five possible lifeline people that might be called. To ensure that you will
>be
>home, they call you up in advance and tell when to be by the phone. Then when
>David got in the hotseat they called me again and told me to be ready - the call
>might come any minute. But as you know he called on his father-in-law instead
>of
>me. But the gameshow people never called me back to tell me the heat was off,
>so
>I ended up sitting by the phone for the entire 3 hour taping period.

It's never been explained, certainly on the UK version of the show,
whether potential phoned friends get any compensation for spending their
time being on call, so to speak. Three hours is a long time to sit and
do nothing, y'know.

Do you do it just for the potential chance to help your friend win lots
of dough, or do they compensate you for your time - and for being
unavailable for anyone else who wants to speak to you during that
period?

Not sure this is kosher, but would there be any interest in setting up
an a.t.g-s network of phoneable friends so that we can ensure access to
an expert whichever topic the question is on?

Cheers!
Chris

--
Chris M. Dickson, Middlesbrough, Great Britain; ch...@dickson.demon.co.uk

Randy Amasia

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
Chris M. Dickson <ch...@dickson.demon.co.uk> wrote in
message news:p9JF1NAv...@dickson.demon.co.uk...

> Not sure this is kosher, but would there be any interest
in setting up
> an a.t.g-s network of phoneable friends so that we can
ensure access to
> an expert whichever topic the question is on?

Or e-mail, ICQ/AOL IM/MSN MS-able.

Kurt Bray

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
to Chris M. Dickson

Chris M. Dickson wrote:

> Do you do it just for the potential chance to help your friend win lots
> of dough, or do they compensate you for your time - and for being
> unavailable for anyone else who wants to speak to you during that
> period?

No, there was no compensation for sitting by the phone. I did it as a favor to
David. I considered it an honor, and never had any thought of payment.

Kurt Bray

Tom Galloway

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <7ph55s$2m...@enews2.newsguy.com>,

Randy Amasia <ran...@loop.com> wrote:
>Chris M. Dickson <ch...@dickson.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>> Not sure this is kosher, but would there be any interest in setting up
>> an a.t.g-s network of phoneable friends so that we can ensure access to
>> an expert whichever topic the question is on?
>Or e-mail, ICQ/AOL IM/MSN MS-able.

Looking at the rules, a "conference call" is explicitly not allowed, so
I'd be wary of setting up a chat room of experts with a fast typer getting
the call and posting the question.

On the other hand, it's not at all clear if there are any restrictions
on how many people can be physically in the room where the call goes to.
I'm thinking a scenario like "Yes, I'd like to use the phone lifeline
to call my friend X, coach of the UMichigan Academic Quiz Team"...where
he happens to be sitting in a room with a speaker phone and a fair
number of the Team in there with him, all with sheets of paper ready
to write down the answer if they're sure of it and stick it in front of
him.

tyg t...@netcom.com

Rhuds...@aol.com

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
to alt.tv.g...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 08/19/1999 12:28:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ran...@loop.com writes:

<< > Not sure this is kosher, but would there be any interest
in setting up
> an a.t.g-s network of phoneable friends so that we can
ensure access to
> an expert whichever topic the question is on?

Or e-mail, ICQ/AOL IM/MSN MS-able. >>

Email: rhuds...@aol.com
ICQ 16210627
Phone number 203-331- Check ICQ profile