WoF Bonus puzzle question

I am NOT Gene Wood!

Dec 5, 2002, 11:20:51 AM12/5/02
Have there ever been Wheel of Fortune bonus puzzles without R S T L N
or E in them at all? I seem to recall at least one puzzle without any
R S T L N or E in it.

Zach Horan

Dec 5, 2002, 11:24:47 AM12/5/02
>Have there ever been Wheel of Fortune bonus puzzles without R S T L N
>or E in them at all?

Yes. One such puzzle was Zoo in 1992. The contestant had a hunch and picked Z
for one of the consonants and O for the vowel.

Chris Lemon

Dec 5, 2002, 11:35:04 AM12/5/02
"Zach Horan" <zach...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Yes. One such puzzle was Zoo in 1992. The contestant had a hunch and
> picked Z for one of the consonants and O for the vowel.

Ya know, that's a really stupid bonus round puzzle. Either you have a hunch,
and you nail it, like the player did, or, if you don't guess the O, you are
completely screwed, 'cuz there's no way you're gonna reason out a three
letter word in 10 or 15 seconds even if you know nine letters that aren't in
it. That's the WOF equivalent of Dick Clark calling out "Here is your first
subject..."...and the $50 trilon spins around to show you "Things That Are
Etruscan". And you KNOW it's gonna get worse from there...

I've guessed puzzles with no letters before (I'd guess, being the game show
geeks we all are, we all have at least once or twice), but usually they are
longer and a phrase pops into my head that fits in the letter blanks.
--
Chris Lemon
clem...@attbi.com

Zach Horan

Dec 5, 2002, 11:38:30 AM12/5/02
>> Yes. One such puzzle was Zoo in 1992. The contestant had a hunch and
>> picked Z for one of the consonants and O for the vowel.

>Ya know, that's a really stupid bonus round puzzle. Either you have a hunch,
>and you nail it, like the player did, or, if you don't guess the O, you are
>completely screwed

I think WOF compensates budgetwise, at least in part, for higher main game
winnings with tougher bonus puzzles(and you know we'll be seeing a few toughies
in the next week or two after last nights $100K win)

Brian Henke

Dec 5, 2002, 11:53:11 AM12/5/02
>> Yes. One such puzzle was Zoo in 1992. The contestant had a hunch and
>>> picked Z for one of the consonants and O for the vowel.

Another one was BABY in 1994 or 1995. The contestant didn't get any letters
in the puzzle, but guessed BABY right on her first guess and won.

Cincy...@aol.com

Poland is the nation directly south of Canada?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!

Chris Lemon

Dec 5, 2002, 12:37:32 PM12/5/02

> I think WOF compensates budgetwise, at least in part, for higher main
> game winnings with tougher bonus puzzles(and you know we'll be seeing
> a few toughies in the next week or two after last nights $100K win)

Wouldn't surprise me (hence my "Things That Are Etruscan" comment), but
there's "tough", and there's "no friggin' way in hell."

Zach Horan

Dec 5, 2002, 12:39:48 PM12/5/02
>Wouldn't surprise me (hence my "Things That Are Etruscan" comment), but
>there's "tough", and there's "no friggin' way in hell."
>--

Tough on WOF=no friggin way in hell for the average WOF contestant.

whoserman

Dec 5, 2002, 10:22:15 PM12/5/02
has "HAWAII" ever been a bonus round puzzle?

I am NOT Gene Wood!

Dec 6, 2002, 1:38:34 PM12/6/02
carpe...@aol.comnospam (whoserman) wrote in message news:<20021205222215...@mb-ca.aol.com>...

> has "HAWAII" ever been a bonus round puzzle?

I seem to remember "HONOLULU HAWAII" as a mainline puzzle in the early
1990's, but...

I am NOT Gene Wood!

Dec 6, 2002, 5:43:50 PM12/6/02
zach...@aol.com (Zach Horan) wrote in message news:<20021205112447...@mb-fb.aol.com>...

Dang. And I thought WOLF was the shortest WoF Bonus puzzle...

John Brocato

Dec 7, 2002, 4:23:38 PM12/7/02
wachov...@yahoo.com (I am NOT Gene Wood!) wrote in message news:<c0697d58.02120...@posting.google.com>...

> > Yes. One such puzzle was Zoo in 1992. The contestant had a hunch and picked Z
> > for one of the consonants and O for the vowel.
>
> Dang. And I thought WOLF was the shortest WoF Bonus puzzle...

I think I remember AX.

John Brocato

Zach Horan

Dec 7, 2002, 4:28:25 PM12/7/02

>I think I remember AX.

Axe with an E possibly. As for the shortest puzzle under the old bonus round
format, I remember Cher as a bonus puzzle back on the daytime run, before the
RSTLNE was given at the outset.