Bill Cullen -- Da Man!!

RLaskyjr

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

I was up in one of my lately recent fits of insomnia so I tuned into the
beloved GSN for some late night entertainment. I caught Blockbusters with Mr.
Cullen. One of the contestants was picking a letter on the board and chose
"F". When she saw the "F" blinking, she commented that she was thinking "H",
but said "F".

Bill Cullen replied, "Oh, 'F' it!", prompting a slight delay in the game for
the laughter.

I was shocked! Now I respect Bill more than ever. He's da bomb!

You can call me K-Rob. Check out my website at
http://members.aol.com/rlaskyjr/krob.html

Send me any replies to: kr...@mindless.com or rlas...@aol.com

BroFrost1

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Imagine how I felt when I read an earlier post about the TTTT appearance with
the bird breeder or whatever...

"I once saw a guy in the bathroom holding his bird," or something like that.

Brandon

Mebranden

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
1-24-1999:

«««One of the contestants[on last night's "Blockbusters" episode on GSN] was

picking a letter on the board and chose "F". When she saw the "F" blinking,
she commented that she was thinking "H", but said "F".

Bill Cullen replied, "Oh, 'F' it!", prompting a slight delay in the game for
the laughter.

I recall a 1971 or so episode of "3 on a Match" in which they started
revealing the categories for a round of play. They pulled the slides to reveal
the first two, Bill read them, and then the third slide got stuck.

Bill started jamming his fingers at the stuck slide, when it suddenly broke
free, and his fingers got pinched in the frame around the opening for the third
category. "Ouch!," he said as he pulled out his fingers, then he announced the
third category, which happened to be "Bird Words", and then said, "I almost
said a 'bird word' there!"

By the way, there is the story out there (but the tape is probably gone
today) of the time Joe Garagiola used "some language he was not proud of" in a
flubbed take of a commercial he produced for airing during an episode of "Sale
of the Century" during either 1971 or 1972. He then re-did the commercial, but
when the show aired, NBC aired the wrong take of it, forcing him to go on
before his "Sale of the Century" show the next day with an apology for the
embarrassment that resulted.

Michael Brandenburg
(IRS employee since 1984 -- and they could be in for some embarrassment in
the coming weeks, too!).

Kenneth Johannessen

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
> By the way, there is the story out there (but the tape is probably gone
>today) of the time Joe Garagiola used "some language he was not proud of"
in a
>flubbed take of a commercial he produced for airing during an episode of
"Sale
>of the Century" during either 1971 or 1972. He then re-did the commercial,
but
>when the show aired, NBC aired the wrong take of it, forcing him to go on
>before his "Sale of the Century" show the next day with an apology for the
>embarrassment that resulted.
>
> Michael Brandenburg
> (IRS employee since 1984 -- and they could be in for some embarrassment
in
>the coming weeks, too!).

Here's the actual story, as taken from the 12/17/71 edition of "The New York
Times":

GARAGIOLA SWEARS TAPING COMMERCIAL AND IT GOES ON AIR

Joe Garagiola, the St. Louis Cardinals baseball catcher turned TV performer,
blew his lines taping a television commercial, cursed and, through a
technical error, the strong language went on the air yesterday.

The National Broadcasting Company, producer of "Sale of the Century," a
morning game show on which the incident occurred, assured viewers later that
"we're extremely sorry." Mr. Garagiola, in an apology to be aired on
today's show at 11 a.m., will say:

"There was a technical error which resulted in my using language I'm really
not proud of. It was done under pressure and unfortunately was heard on the
air. I sincerely apologize for that language and I assure you it will never
happen again."

NBC explained that the show was taped several weeks ago, but for timeliness,
a Christmas commercial was done on Wednesday.

The first three introductions to the commercial were bad, NBC explained, and
at the end of the third run-through Mr. Garagiola turned to the technicians
and said, "Jesus Christ, I'm sorry, goddammit..." and then went on to do a
fourth.

By error, NBC said, the third version was the one aired, going to NBC
affiliates all over the country, except on the West Coast, where the correct
version of the commercial appeared.

k.j.

SJim67

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
I agree. Bill Cullen has always been a favorite of mine. I like him alot on
Blockbusters (too bad GSN buries it on late night.) He can be funny, but he
never lets it overwhelm the show, like alot of current hosts try to do.

He was also great on shows mostly known for other hosts. TJW and Pyramid, for
example. That's not an easy thing for a lot of guys to do.

ep99...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Joe recounts this story as well as some other amusing game show anecdotes in
a chapter of his 1988 auto-bio "It's Anybody's Ballgame." Also in there are
some funny bloopers from his years on the Today Show, such as the time Hugh
Downs got tounge-tied trying to say "Sealtest Strawberry Fudge Tarts" and he
reversed the t and the f on the last two words.

Eric Paddon

scArA

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Watching a Cullen episode of Blockbusters once, where someone fell
asleep at the switch, and a whole bunch of letters still had red and
white tiles. So gradually they cleared, and one started flashing, and
then another started flashing. I think it was "B." So Bill took charge
of the situation. "As soon as I pull this card, you can't change it."
He did. I don't remember exactly what happened, as I am too lazy to
check the tape.

--John (scArA) Plasket
d-range at earthling dot net
Approaching rapidly: scArA's page of stuff
http://www.early.com/~twisted/

"Well, ain't that cute... BUT IT'S WRONG!!"

C Alliaume

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

In article <19990124175030...@ng53.aol.com>, mebr...@aol.com
(Mebranden) writes:

> By the way, there is the story out there (but the tape is probably gone
>today) of the time Joe Garagiola used "some language he was not proud of" in
>a flubbed take of a commercial he produced for airing during an episode of
>"Sale of the Century" during either 1971 or 1972. He then re-did the
>commercial, but when the show aired, NBC aired the wrong take of it, forcing
>him to go on before his "Sale of the Century" show the next day with an
>apology for the embarrassment that resulted.

You don't suppose the guy picking the commercial tapes in 1971 was the same guy
choosing the first episode of TTTT 19 years later?

Just a thought.

-- Curt Alliaume
----------------------
Game Shows '75
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/2827/gameshow.html

Gary Flinn

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
rlas...@aol.comRobLasky (RLaskyjr) wrote:

>I was up in one of my lately recent fits of insomnia so I tuned into the
>beloved GSN for some late night entertainment. I caught Blockbusters with Mr.
>Cullen. One of the contestants was picking a letter on the board and chose

>"F". When she saw the "F" blinking, she commented that she was thinking "H",
>but said "F".
>
>Bill Cullen replied, "Oh, 'F' it!", prompting a slight delay in the game for
>the laughter.
>
>I was shocked! Now I respect Bill more than ever. He's da bomb!

Bill Cullen (as well as Gene Rayburn) are considered, in the history of
game show hosts, the deans of the humorous game show hosts who can milk
laughter out of any moment in which they can. It's sad that a good chunk
of their prime game show hosting chores were given the bulk eraser
treatment. Thank goodness the 1970s incarnation of Match Game is
completely intact and shows Gene Rayburn at his best. I mourn the erasing
of Bill Cullen on "Eye Guess".

CatLuver74

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
>It's sad that a good chunk
>of their prime game show hosting chores >were given the bulk eraser
>treatment.

Ummm.....not totally with Bill. The following Cullen shows have survived....

TPiR nighttime (and a few daytime)
I've Got A Secret
To Tell The Truth (70s)
Winning Streak (one episode)
Pass The Buck
TJW
Blockbusters
Chain Reaction
Child's Play
$25,000 Pyramid, etc.

But I agree with ya...would like to see Eye Guess and also Three On A Match and
also Blankey Blanks...Cat

Gene: "102 year old Mr. Perriwinkle said 'Augggggggggh....I must be getting
for-get-ful. I went on my second honeymoon and I forgot ______'"
Patti Deutsch: "I said that he forgot 'Why'" (wild cheering)
From Match Game PM (1976)

Kenneth Johannessen

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
>The first three introductions to the commercial were bad, NBC explained,
and
>at the end of the third run-through Mr. Garagiola turned to the technicians
>and said, "Jesus Christ, I'm sorry, goddammit..." and then went on to do a
>fourth.
>
>By error, NBC said, the third version was the one aired, going to NBC
>affiliates all over the country, except on the West Coast, where the
correct
>version of the commercial appeared.

Ya gotta wonder if that technician is the same one who accidentally sent the
"Joe DiMaggio has died" bulletin crawl out over "Dateline NBC" last night,
much to the surprise of a very-much-alive Mr. DiMaggio, who happened to be
watching "Dateline" at that time, and saw his own death announced!!

Hmmmmm.....

k.j.

glock...@sprynet.com

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
In article <19990125021249...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
catlu...@aol.comKILLJUNK (CatLuver74) wrote:

> The following Cullen shows have survived....
> TPiR nighttime (and a few daytime)
> I've Got A Secret
> To Tell The Truth (70s)
> Winning Streak (one episode)
> Pass The Buck
> TJW
> Blockbusters
> Chain Reaction
> Child's Play
> $25,000 Pyramid, etc.
>
>But I agree with ya...would like to see Eye Guess and also Three On A Match
>and also Blankey Blanks...Cat

"Blankety Blanks" does exist (at least some of them) in GSN's vault. Also,
you left out "The Love Experts", "Hot Potato", & "Password Plus". (All of
which GSN has.)