REVIEW: Futurama: Bender's Big Score!

Jonah Falcon

Nov 29, 2007, 3:43:58 PM11/29/07
http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/11/29/review-futurama-benders-big-score-film/

Two years after having been cancelled, Futurama returns in the form of
the first of four direct-to-video films, Bender's Big Score. The big
question is, after two years of hiatus, does the show retain its
cutting edge humor and its care for its characters?

The answer is, depressingly, not really.

(review continued in link)

UsualNoise

Nov 30, 2007, 11:44:34 PM11/30/07
Jonah Falcon <jonah...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/11/29/review-futurama-benders-big-score-
> film/

Thanks, but I disagree. I very much enjoyed the movie and I thought the refs to
past episodes were interesting side stories, not destructive to the originals. I
have to watch it again to really grasp all the interesting time travel stuff, but
first time through I'm very happy with how the comeback has started.

As a fellow Futurama fan, I can't believe you would recommend renting over
buying. I'd buy it and be happy even if it was the worst piece of crap I'd ever
seen ... since it would increase the likelihood of more releases. :) A bad
episode of Futurama is still better than 90% of sitcoms on network TV.

Regarding Jurassic Bark ... I don't think it diminished it, it actually made me
feel better about what happened to the dog. Because of the new history
introduced in 'Big Score' he now had Fry in his life right up until his death at
the hand of Bender.

Regarding Luck of the Fryish, again it's kind of nice that Fry was around to
spend time with his nephew in the new history. There's no reason his nephew
wouldn't still wind up with the clover since Fry again disappears in 2012 (I
think that's the year).

Anyway, I'd give it 3.5 or 4 out of 5 stars. Not Futurama perfection, but a nice
start ... and certainly wonderful to see after the long hiatus.

--
UsualNoise

Jym Dyer

Dec 1, 2007, 4:21:04 AM12/1/07
=v= I loved it.
Al Gore got the best lines.
<_Jym_>

Brion K. Lienhart

Dec 1, 2007, 2:56:35 PM12/1/07
Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= I loved it.
> Al Gore got the best lines.

I loved it too. I didn't even notice it was Al Gore in the cab until I
watched it the 2nd time (with commentary).

Mutley

Dec 15, 2007, 1:25:34 PM12/15/07
Jonah Falcon <jonah...@mindspring.com> wrote:

I bought it from Amazon and watched it last nite. It was still good .
Waiting for the others to come out..

Sunny

Dec 16, 2007, 12:10:16 AM12/16/07
The reviewer was, in my opinion, too kind. Bender's Big Score was the
most boring animated, adult-oriented, cartoon I've ever seen. I have
watched every episode of Futurama at least three times...and everytime
I watch one, I find new twists and turns that I've missed before.

In Bender's Big Score, BBS, I'm lucky if I could come up with half a
grin every fifteen minutes. Contrast that against an episode of
Futurama that I watched right after BBS--that would be the one where
Zap Brannigan destroys DOOP headquarters and is drummed out of the
service, only to end up leading a mutiny on Captain Leela's Planet
Express Ship.

Unlike BBS, the Brannigan episode had me laughing about every fifteen
seconds...sometimes uproariously.

So, to say I'm disappointed in BBS would be a massive understatement.

That said, it really isn't hard to figure out what the problem was.
All of the cutting edge writers went on to other projects, and
obviously either couldn't come back...or didn't want to come back.
This only makes sense, in that they surely couldn't sit around waiting/
wondering if Fox were ever going to bring the series back.

The acting was fine...but the actors were just stuck with totally
mundane garbage in the way of writing. Even so, I'm willing to give
the next three movies a chance, and am hopeful that they weren't in
the can prior to somebody with a clear eye having the chance to tell
Groening just how lousy BBS truly was. (So that adjustments could be
made.) Time will tell.

Sunnovia

UsualNoise

Dec 17, 2007, 12:16:43 AM12/17/07