DEAR LURKERS, PLEASE READ!

Jim Larson

Jun 4, 2001, 11:31:18 AM6/4/01
After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I would ask
the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the very least, post
nothing to bias it.

So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.

--
Jim

Crisis? What crisis?

Jun 4, 2001, 12:27:52 PM6/4/01
In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
larso...@yahoo.com says...
What do I think?
1) Generally, this ng is rude as hell to newbies.
Would it kill you to simply post the link (without rude comments) to the
official faq everytime some one comes in and asks a question you've heard
and answered 100 times before? You could also add the link to the SciFi
channel schedule grid and Farscape.Com. Again, all without rude comments.
I've been lurking on on the PaintShop Pro ng and someone there posts the
link to their faq at least once a day.
2) The amount of off topic posting and the length of some of the treads
here is absurd. It took almost 10 minutes yesterday for my dialup
connection to download all the articles that had been posted since Fri.
I don't mind off topic posts as long as they're on a separate thread,
but countless times I've seen an on topic post degenerate into
foolishness after only a few posts because the regulars come in and take
it over. You expect people to wade tru all that b.s. to find the faq
link?
I admit, I find the silly posts by the regulars pretty damn funny at
times which makes me reluctant to use a kill file here, but I don't think
it would kill anyone to keep the chat threads and the on-topic threads
separate. Not everyone has all day to keep checking and reading this ng .
If the threads were kept separate it would be easier for those who don't
like the chat to set their newsreaders to filter it.
3) Flaming is only acceptable when someone puts a spoiler in the subject
line of their post. If you don't like top posting try keeping the threads
a reasonable length. If I were going to reply to a thread that already
had 300 responses I'd consider top postiong too. Doesn't scrolling tru
all that garbage give you a headache or do all of you have the eyesight
of a fighter pilot?
4)"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" The amount
of crap directed at Twinion and those who expressed agreement with him in
the "farscape survey" thread was uncalled for. Most of it seemed to come
from the regulars who devote most of their time here to chatting. If you
want to chat, fine, but do it in your own thread and leave those who
don't agree with you alone.
5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome another
Farscape ng, You could direct all the newbies there and have this place
all to yourselves. I was surprised at how threatened some of you seemed
to be by the idea of another Farscape ng.
Sorry about the length of this reply, typos and spelling. I'm on my lunch
break and don't have time to proof-read. Thank you for your time,
crisis.

brown

Jun 4, 2001, 1:23:37 PM6/4/01
I am re-posting this in the event that Jim Larson might have been
killfiled under the assumption that he was one of the gang of 10
to 15. I also support this suggestion.

P.S. I munged my headers because I realize that I am usually the
one placed in people's killfiles. I repeat for emphasis: I support
Jim's suggestion of letting any newcomers/lurkers/whomever making
posts regarding the show WITHOUT any sort of sarcastic followup.

larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote in

This ~IS~ a public newsgroup and it's time that those who either:
+ are just coming in
+ have lurked for a while
are allowed their say. Free speech and all.

Open house, folks. If you have questions/comments either on a
specific episode or the show in general, now's the time. Inciden-
tally, I say we let this run through the weekend (and longer).
After all, it takes time for messages to propagate through servers
and some folks might only check the group once or twice a week -
and if THAT is the case, they got a boat-load of mesages to sort
through.

J_a_m_e_s (in case anyone killfiles on the occurrence of
my name in a message body) ((my real e-mail is in the
Organization line of the headers))

Dikdikuk

Jun 4, 2001, 1:24:35 PM6/4/01
>Subject: Re: DEAR LURKERS, PLEASE READ!

>From: Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com

>larso...@yahoo.com says...
>> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
>> treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
>> those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions.

I haven't even properly been lurking here lately, too darn busy, but Crisis's
remarks made me want to dive in...

>1) Generally, this ng is rude as hell to newbies.

For which I love it. I've always seen it as a simple Darwinian technique to
ensure that those who won't be amusing contributors to the ng post three 'well,
I've never been spoken to like that before!' remarks and then sod off. I
didn't receive a big bunch of flowers and some hugs the first time I stepped
through the door, nor did I expect to; anyone who did hasn't done their
homework. There are plenty of other FS-based communities out there: if you're
posting here and you don't like the way it works, no-one's strapping you to a
chair to make you stay. In fact, it's always struck me that this ng is about
as Farscape as it gets - a random gaggle of indeterminate entities, thrown
together by chance, fuelled by wit and conflict. Which leads me on to...

>2) The amount of off topic posting and the length of some of the treads
>here is absurd.

Keeping 'on' and 'off' topic posts 'separate' is just plain impossible. A
thread starts off about an episode...someone notes a comparison with another TV
show...someone else makes another connection with another TV show...and bingo!
we wind up talking about FS again, somewhere down the line. It's called
conversation, kids, and it's what we're here for. (Apart from Nick, of course.
Oops, did I just slip off-topic there?)

As for defining what exactly constitutes 'on-topic' - equally impossible. One
of the most interesting threads I ever read here (and it crops up again from
time to time) was the old 'Translator Microbes' debate; we wound up talking
about cultural transmission of all kinds, cross-referencing not just other TV
shows, films, books, etc, but historical cultural precedents, and by the end we
sure as hell weren't talking about FS. As for the totally random off-topic
posts - I think we would have to be really quite amazingly boring people to
talk ONLY about Farscape, and to want to read other posts which were ONLY about
Farscape. In the words of the immortal Billy Bragg, 'I like toast as much as
anyone, but not for breakfast, dinner and tea'.

>3) Flaming is only acceptable when someone puts a spoiler in the subject
>line of their post. If you don't like top posting try keeping the threads
>a reasonable length.

Your flame may be my medium-rare. And is top-posting really that hard to avoid?
Is it? Huh?

>4)"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

This is an ng. People come here to talk to one another. Not all of them will
agree with each other - that's one of the consequences of that pesky little
thing called individuality. You don't want to hear any opinions contrary to
your own? Enjoy dying alone in your giant plastic bubble. (And yes, if I
chose to I could have phrased that less aggressively. But I didn't choose to.
We developed language to allow ourselves to communicate in ways more complex
than simple nouns and verbs permit; rhetoric and passion make life a little
less tedious.)

>5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome another
>Farscape ng,

I don't know of many ngs that actively encourage promotion of other ngs. As
for 'control'...I'm sure some of the regulars would be most flattered by that
supposition. Most, I trust, will just think it's funny.

Apologies for such a long response; I'll be interested to see what other
lurking types throw up.

dik:)

T. Erik Browne

Jun 4, 2001, 1:48:02 PM6/4/01
In article <MPG.158581215d66999598971b@news-server>,

Crisis? What crisis? <cri...@nocrisis.com> wrote:

>5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome another
>Farscape ng, You could direct all the newbies there and have this place
>all to yourselves.

But that's not what would happen. If a new group was created, all the
regulars from this group would start reading the new group, and would be just
as off-topic there as they are here. So while creating a rec.* group for
farscape would attract new people, I doubt it would fix the problems its main
proponent has with this group.

T. Erik Browne | All operating systems suck.
tbr...@best.com | The sooner you learn this, the better.
"Apparently I'm insane. But I'm one of the happy kinds!"

Nick

Jun 4, 2001, 1:55:31 PM6/4/01
T. Erik Browne wrote:

>In article <MPG.158581215d66999598971b@news-server>,
>Crisis? What crisis? <cri...@nocrisis.com> wrote:
>>
>>5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome another
>>Farscape ng, You could direct all the newbies there and have this place
>>all to yourselves.
>

>But that's not what would happen. If a new group was created, all the
>regulars from this group would start reading the new group, and would be just
>as off-topic there as they are here. So while creating a rec.* group for
>farscape would attract new people, I doubt it would fix the problems its main
>proponent has with this group.

I could refrain from being inordinately off topic in a new group.

green

Jun 4, 2001, 2:02:18 PM6/4/01
I have again munged my address so hopefully this will be read
by all interested. My comments within are serious and sincere.
If anyone wishes to be flip or sarcastic in responding, all I
ask is that you change the Subject line so folks won't think
that it is part of a genuine thread. Jim Larson's paragraph
speaks right to the heart of that.

Crisis? What crisis? <cri...@nocrisis.com> wrote:

> larso...@yahoo.com says...
>> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about
>> our treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would
>> like to ask those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their
>> opinions. I would ask the regulars to kindly stay out of this
>> thread or, at the very least, post nothing to bias it.
>>
>> So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us
>> know what you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can
>> understand a reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please
>> consider it.
>>
> What do I think?
> 1) Generally, this ng is rude as hell to newbies.
> Would it kill you to simply post the link (without rude comments)

> to the official faq everytime some one comes in and asks a ques-

> tion you've heard and answered 100 times before? You could also
> add the link to the SciFi channel schedule grid and Farscape.Com.

> Again, all without rude comments. I've been lurking on on the Paint-

> Shop Pro ng and someone there posts the link to their faq at least
> once a day.

Could be done. I could set up one of my Unix text-based accounts
to do that.

> 2) The amount of off topic posting and the length of some of the

> threads here is absurd. It took almost 10 minutes yesterday for

> my dialup connection to download all the articles that had been
> posted since Fri. I don't mind off topic posts as long as they're
> on a separate thread, but countless times I've seen an on topic
> post degenerate into foolishness after only a few posts because
> the regulars come in and take it over. You expect people to wade

> thru all that b.s. to find the faq link?

I agree with you here, crisis. One of the reasons that I try
to change the Subject header any time that I make a followup
that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original Subject
heading of the message - regardless of what was contained in
the message. One can then choose to read/not read by actually
looking at the Subject header of a message/thread. A *gasp*
radical concept that - having the Subject ~actually~ reflect
what is contained in the message. Personally (and I am saying
this to most of the group's regulars) if you are too lazy to
change the Subject header once you veer off the topic, why
bother even following up? But that is just my opinion and
no doubt subject to scorn/ridicule.

> I admit, I find the silly posts by the regulars pretty damn funny
> at times which makes me reluctant to use a kill file here, but I
> don't think it would kill anyone to keep the chat threads and the
> on-topic threads separate. Not everyone has all day to keep checking
> and reading this ng . If the threads were kept separate it would be
> easier for those who don't like the chat to set their newsreaders
> to filter it.

I agree. Hmmmmm... an acceptable convention... Perhaps we could
put FS in the Subject header of messages ~actually~ having to do
with FARSCAPE? Cuz I don't think you are going to get some of
these folks heah to put OT in the headers of their messages.
But I could be mistaken. I would be greatly delighted if I were.

> 3) Flaming is only acceptable when someone puts a spoiler in the
> subject line of their post. If you don't like top posting try
> keeping the threads a reasonable length. If I were going to reply

> to a thread that already had 300 responses I'd consider top posting
> too. Doesn't scrolling thru all that garbage give you a headache or

> do all of you have the eyesight of a fighter pilot?

I tend to agree again. A while back I sort of hinted that folks
who quote anywhere from 40 to 90 lines just to slap a one-liner
on the end were no better than top-posters. That got lost in
the shuffle and I must admit that I, too, have been guilty of
engaging in that silly practice. However, if someone IS going
to top-post, perhaps they could put some extra blank lines
(which after all only consist of ONE character - a carriage
return) or something. I tend to gloss over the first few lines
of a post because it is usually attributions. Does that request
seem unreasonable? (Because I get really vexed when I scroll
all the way down to find nothing at the end - a practice I
acquired from the style of postings to this group)

> 4)"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" The
> amount of crap directed at Twinion and those who expressed agreement
> with him in the "farscape survey" thread was uncalled for. Most of
> it seemed to come from the regulars who devote most of their time
> here to chatting. If you want to chat, fine, but do it in your own
> thread and leave those who don't agree with you alone.

Okay. Here I am going to slightly disagree. Twinion came in and
got all huffy when tasked for his top-posting style and he pro-
ceeded to start slinging the insults. Perhaps he was provoked
by someone insulting him first but one thing you and anyone else
have to realize is that it is usually incumbent on newcomers to
lurk and get a feel for how a newsgroup goes rather than jump in
and start telling folks that they need to shape up and do things
the way that YOU expect 'em to do things. I have agreed with
you about some of the practices in this group. However, twinion
did go off the rails a bit. She deserved what she got IMO.
But that is a difference of opinion, I think, and so I do not
wish to press this matter any further.

> 5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome
> another Farscape ng, You could direct all the newbies there and

> have this place all to yourselves. I was surprised at how threa-

> tened some of you seemed to be by the idea of another Farscape ng.

Personally I wish you folks all the luck in the world in getting
another group started. I don't think that I even responded to
the idea. Sounds great to me. If you do get it off the ground,
you can definitely count on me NOT coming over there to bother
y'all.

> Sorry about the length of this reply, typos and spelling. I'm on
> my lunch break and don't have time to proof-read. Thank you for
> your time,
> crisis.

You expressed yourself very well, crisis.

In the meantime, I fully support the idea of the 'regulars'
of this group not tweaking with nor munging up any on-topic
threads which you (or anyone else for that matter start.
If they do, at the very least they should change the Subject
line of their followup. After all, that is what that line
of the headers is there for: so folks can have a rough idea
of what is contained in the message and decide if they want
to read it or not.

J_a_m_e_s (name modified so folks will read this message)
((my real e-mail address is in the Organization header))

Crisis? What crisis?

Jun 4, 2001, 2:17:09 PM6/4/01
In article <20010604132435...@ng-fz1.aol.com>,
dikd...@aol.com says...

> >Subject: Re: DEAR LURKERS, PLEASE READ!
>
> >From: Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com
>
> >larso...@yahoo.com says...
> >> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
> >> treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
> >> those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions.
>
> I haven't even properly been lurking here lately, too darn busy, but Crisis's
> remarks made me want to dive in...
>
> There are plenty of other FS-based communities
>Snip<
Not on usenet

> >2) The amount of off topic posting and the length of some of the treads
> >here is absurd.
>
> Keeping 'on' and 'off' topic posts 'separate' is just plain impossible
Hogwash. Put "OT" in your subject line so those who don't want to read
know to skip over it.

> As for defining what exactly constitutes 'on-topic' - equally impossible. One
> of the most interesting threads I ever read here (and it crops up again from
> time to time) was the old 'Translator Microbes' debate; we wound up talking
> about cultural transmission of all kinds, cross-referencing not just other TV
> shows, films, books, etc, but historical cultural precedents, and by the end we
> sure as hell weren't talking about FS. As for the totally random off-topic
> posts - I think we would have to be really quite amazingly boring people to
> talk ONLY about Farscape, and to want to read other posts which were ONLY about
> Farscape. In the words of the immortal Billy Bragg, 'I like toast as much as
> anyone, but not for breakfast, dinner and tea'.
I agree with you here. But many people don't want to have to download
headers for articles about Nick's dogs, Tom's cars or the powerwasher he
got his wife for mother's day or the fact that John I. has just announced
he's going to mow his lawn.

> >3) Flaming is only acceptable when someone puts a spoiler in the subject
> >line of their post. If you don't like top posting try keeping the threads
> >a reasonable length.
>
> Your flame may be my medium-rare. And is top-posting really that hard to avoid?
> Is it? Huh?
It is unaccepatable to flame someone who asks for the faq or has missed
episodes of the show and needs to be filled in. If they top post, tell'em
at least once that it is frowned on here. New folks shouldn't have to
read a half dozen or so insults or absurd remarks before getting a
straight forward answer to their question. Telling someone the show has
been cancelled when you know that is false is rude. Period.

> >4)"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
>
> This is an ng. People come here to talk to one another. Not all of them will
> agree with each other - that's one of the consequences of that pesky little
> thing called individuality. You don't want to hear any opinions contrary to
> your own? Enjoy dying alone in your giant plastic bubble. (And yes, if I
> chose to I could have phrased that less aggressively. But I didn't choose to.
> We developed language to allow ourselves to communicate in ways more complex
> than simple nouns and verbs permit; rhetoric and passion make life a little
> less tedious.)
Nope, just saying let a few more folks into the ng that actually want to
talk about Farscape is all, don't go out of your way to be rude to them
and don't take over their threads.

> >5) I would think those of you who control this ng would welcome another
> >Farscape ng,
>SNIP<

> I don't know of many ngs that actively encourage promotion of other ngs.
I do.

> for 'control'...I'm sure some of the regulars would be most flattered by that
> supposition. Most, I trust, will just think it's funny.
They control it by being uncivilized to folks who admit to being new to
the show and making it inpossible for people to actually filter out most
of the off topic chatter.

> Apologies for such a long response; I'll be interested to see what other
> lurking types throw up.
>
> dik:)

Nice talkin to ya dik,
crisis

Mac Breck

Jun 4, 2001, 3:14:44 PM6/4/01
"Crisis? What crisis?" <cri...@nocrisis.com> wrote in message

> In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
> larso...@yahoo.com says...
> > After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
> > treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
> > those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I would ask
> > the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the very least,
post
> > nothing to bias it.
> >
> > So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
> > you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
> > reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.
> >

> What do I think?
> 1) Generally, this ng is rude as hell to newbies.

No it's not. Compared to rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5, alt.tv.farscape coddles
newbies, leads 'em by the hand and feeds 'em.

Mac Breck
----------------
Vorlon Empire
Defender of Marcus and Lennier

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for the new series
"Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
Fall 2001 on The Sci-Fi Channel.

TwinIon

Jun 4, 2001, 3:26:09 PM6/4/01
Hi, my answers as below. Others snipped.

In article <Xns90B67A1DC93...@130.133.1.4>, greeni...@usa.net

(green) wrote:

> I agree with you here, crisis. One of the reasons that I try
> to change the Subject header any time that I make a followup
> that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original Subject
> heading of the message - regardless of what was contained in
> the message. One can then choose to read/not read by actually
> looking at the Subject header of a message/thread. A *gasp*
> radical concept that - having the Subject ~actually~ reflect
> what is contained in the message. Personally (and I am saying
> this to most of the group's regulars) if you are too lazy to
> change the Subject header once you veer off the topic, why
> bother even following up? But that is just my opinion and
> no doubt subject to scorn/ridicule.

I agree. Although I sometime do not do that, I try to change the header
subject if the topic has digressed. Still, not enough people has done that.
If nothing else, at least this ng has proved that if enough people do the same
thing, most will follow.

> I agree. Hmmmmm... an acceptable convention... Perhaps we could
> put FS in the Subject header of messages ~actually~ having to do
> with FARSCAPE? Cuz I don't think you are going to get some of
> these folks heah to put OT in the headers of their messages.
> But I could be mistaken. I would be greatly delighted if I were.

FS actually has the connotation of "For Sale". Of course, on topic and off
topic has the same abbreviation. But it is a step in the right direction.
Maybe some convention can be agreed upon. A wish though that there will be a
few more classifications like [CHAT] for chatting purpose and you can talk
about your car or car all you want, [OT] for off-topic posts like B5 or sci-fi
channel etc... and maybe [FAR] for farscape-related things.

I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of farscape-related stuff be
allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.

> I tend to agree again. A while back I sort of hinted that folks
> who quote anywhere from 40 to 90 lines just to slap a one-liner
> on the end were no better than top-posters. That got lost in
> the shuffle and I must admit that I, too, have been guilty of
> engaging in that silly practice. However, if someone IS going
> to top-post, perhaps they could put some extra blank lines
> (which after all only consist of ONE character - a carriage
> return) or something. I tend to gloss over the first few lines
> of a post because it is usually attributions. Does that request
> seem unreasonable? (Because I get really vexed when I scroll
> all the way down to find nothing at the end - a practice I
> acquired from the style of postings to this group)

You mean after the postings? I have no problem doing it if that is the general
consensus. Although I honestly failed to see how that would help you in
anyway.

So is it something like this?

[top posting]
(3 blank line follows)

[quoted text]

> Okay. Here I am going to slightly disagree. Twinion came in and
> got all huffy when tasked for his top-posting style and he pro-
> ceeded to start slinging the insults. Perhaps he was provoked
> by someone insulting him first but one thing you and anyone else
> have to realize is that it is usually incumbent on newcomers to
> lurk and get a feel for how a newsgroup goes rather than jump in
> and start telling folks that they need to shape up and do things
> the way that YOU expect 'em to do things. I have agreed with
> you about some of the practices in this group. However, twinion
> did go off the rails a bit. She deserved what she got IMO.
> But that is a difference of opinion, I think, and so I do not
> wish to press this matter any further.

Perhaps my mistake was to quote John Seridan: " I will not start a fight, but
I will finish it" and then I start getting replys that made my blood boils
which started all the name callings.

BTW, when I gave the label "peacekeepers" in the context of farscape, do keep
in mind people like Aeryn, Crais and the bunch in "Different Destinations".
There are peacekeepers and there are peacekeepers.

> You expressed yourself very well, crisis.
>
> In the meantime, I fully support the idea of the 'regulars'
> of this group not tweaking with nor munging up any on-topic
> threads which you (or anyone else for that matter start.
> If they do, at the very least they should change the Subject
> line of their followup. After all, that is what that line
> of the headers is there for: so folks can have a rough idea
> of what is contained in the message and decide if they want
> to read it or not.

That would be the best compromise. And those who still do not like top posting
no matter what, you can put me in your killfile if you have not already done
so. This is not said in anger not in spite but rather a wish to be left alone,
if nothing else.

You have a nice lunch now.

Jeffrey M. Johnson

Jun 4, 2001, 3:52:28 PM6/4/01
> I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of farscape-related stuff
be
> allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.

I know that in low bandwidth places (like when I am connected by cellular
link and have forgotten not to auto update the newsgroups) long posts are
problem. While I think a posting like here is my latest FanFic
(http://home.mywebsite.com/fanficIntro.html) is acceptable posting the
entire Fan Fic (I have seen a 200 page one posted on another site in ages
past) is another matter all together.

Jeff

stefaan.dc

Jun 4, 2001, 4:04:19 PM6/4/01
>In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
Should we have this discution again?
Posted on 16/01/2001:

Posted on 08/02/2001:

Have you ever had one of those days, when certain distractions in your
life, that you consider part of your daily activities, are suddenly
rendered completely and totally irrelevant?

Got me to wondering, what do other folks think ATF represents to them?

(forgive me if I don't go first)

~

Mark
(57 replies follows, found at 'http://groups.google.com/')

Maybe someone should post a faq regulary, like the one Stormbringer post
at UMTSF. That's the only suggestion I have for now.
Cheers

--
Fatman Stephen

Traci York

Jun 4, 2001, 4:10:15 PM6/4/01
"Jeffrey M. Johnson" <jjoh...@umn.edu> wrote :

Yep - you are correct Jeffrey. Posting annnoucements about fanfic, and even
discussions about fanfic (where to find it, favorite stories and authors,
etc) is fine, but fanfic itself can be a problem - which is the reason why
many groups start separate groups just for fanfic.

And apparently someone (no, not you Jeffrey <g>) hasn't been paying
attention, because there is no *ban* on posting about for sale/trade
Farscape items.

--
Traci (to reply, remove "NOTHANKS")
"Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold/that lies in the deep

Trystilarn

Jun 4, 2001, 4:23:40 PM6/4/01
Like I need to say whom:

>I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of
>farscape-related stuff be allowed and the "ban"
> taken away from the FAQ.

Oooo, cool, I can't wait for the first round of fanfic
with Crighton rifling through the blue broad's closet
to see what fits.

Probably all of it now that I think on it ....

Nick

Jun 4, 2001, 4:41:48 PM6/4/01
TwinIon wrote:

>I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of farscape-related stuff be
>allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.

There are other groups that have .creative at the end that are used for
fanfic. I think this would work for farscape as well. Someone could
create alt.tv.farscape.creative

Brenda

Jun 4, 2001, 4:26:56 PM6/4/01

Jim Larson <larso...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
> you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
> reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.

I began lurking sometime late last summer. Although I've posted quite a bit
the past week, it's been about ten times more than I've posted all before
then, so I still consider myself fairly new.

This is the only ng I subscribe to although I've visited quite few message
boards, belong to several e-groups (or whatever they are called these days),
and for a long time hung out at the Sci-fi Farscape message board.
Technically they are all the same to me: forums for people interested in
Farscape. However they all have their own distinctive personalities. Some
of them I visited frequently; some of them I left right away. I don't
necessarily like everyone I meet, but I don't consider it my job to change
them into what I think they should be and if it gets to be more than I want
to put up with, I just go some place else. If someone wants to start
another ng or message board or whatever - go ahead (OK, I really have no
idea what that involves. /shrug) But enough with the whining. I get enough
of that in RL.

As to how I've been treated, the worst I can say is that I've been
occasionally ignored, but I'm don't think so highly of myself to believe
that everyone, or even anyone, is going to be interested in my every word.
I I did lurk quite a while and read the FAQ, so I didn't ask anything
really stupid either. I do think that some of the newcomers have been
treated harshly from time to time and personally, I am going to go out of my
way to treat them nicer (if Thinkum doesn't get to them first.) But I also
understand where this is coming from. The thing that finally drove me from
the Scifi BB at the end of S2 was the 100th time someone asked if Aeryn was
really dead. I think my last post went something like "Yes, she's dead.
DEAD, DEAD, DEAD." The ng was like a breath of fresh air.

Off topic posting: Yes, it's excessive. So what? Most of it's more
interesting than disecting J/A's relationship for the 1000th time. Farscape
isn't on 24/7. Eventually everything is discussed to death. I find the
discussion of scifi books and some of the other scifi shows to be
informative. Much of the rest is just damned amusing. If a thread goes off
onto a topic I'm not interested in, I just mark the conversation as read. Of
course, I'm on cable modem so the volumn doesn't bother me. When a post is
first made, I think the title gives a pretty clear indication whether the
post is on topic or off whether it's marked OT or not. For the
consideration of those just scanning the ng for topical infomation, it would
probably be a good idea to make an effort to change the title when the
thread goes off topic.

Brenda

Mark

Jun 4, 2001, 4:50:16 PM6/4/01
In article <3b1be995$0$183$456d...@news.skynet.be>, bk28...@skynet.be
wrote...
<snip, snip snip snip, here SNIPPY!>

> Should we have this discution again?

> Posted on 08/02/2001:
>
> Have you ever had one of those days, when certain distractions in your
> life, that you consider part of your daily activities, are suddenly
> rendered completely and totally irrelevant?

<snip, etc, ets, etc>

> Mark
> (57 replies follows, found at 'http://groups.google.com/')

Why Stef, <sniff> I'm ....<sniff>, speechless...

and your point is so obvious, I'll let it stand for itself.

> Maybe someone should post a faq regulary, like the one Stormbringer post

I know Traci has tried to repost the faq on a fairly regular basis, but
life manages to get in the way sometimes. Hence the realization that most
folks do have lives outside of the net. Also there are a few others that
carry the link to the faq in their sigs. Maybe there is something that
can be done about this, but I think I'm supposed to be in lurk mode now,
so, I'll just be a good boy and go do something.

__
___

Mark

Jennifer Stevenson

Jun 4, 2001, 5:00:35 PM6/4/01
Jim,

I have been lurking in this group for quite some time but have
occasionally posted here and there. My posts have always been treated with
respect. Perhaps that has not been the case with others and I have to say
that I am sorry to hear that. Maybe your recognition of the problem will
alleviate it somewhat.

Jen

Thinkum

Jun 4, 2001, 5:13:15 PM6/4/01
Traci York wrote:

> Jeffrey M. Johnson wrote:
>> Twinlon wrote:
>>>
>>> I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of farscape-related stuff
>>> be allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.
>>
>> I know that in low bandwidth places (like when I am connected by cellular
>> link and have forgotten not to auto update the newsgroups) long posts are
>> problem. While I think a posting like here is my latest FanFic
>> (http://home.mywebsite.com/fanficIntro.html) is acceptable posting the
>> entire Fan Fic (I have seen a 200 page one posted on another site in ages
>> past) is another matter all together.
>
> Yep - you are correct Jeffrey. Posting annnoucements about fanfic, and even
> discussions about fanfic (where to find it, favorite stories and authors,
> etc) is fine, but fanfic itself can be a problem - which is the reason why
> many groups start separate groups just for fanfic.

I would also note, that posting fanfic in a newsgroup is 100% surefire way to
keep any of the show's writers and producers from following the group. The
potential for future storyline copyright suits is too high for them to risk
it. If we are interested in promoting fan feedback to the show, then a
.creative newsgroup is a more appropriate spot for the fanfic.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

T. Erik Browne

Jun 4, 2001, 5:32:34 PM6/4/01
In article <9fgnqi$g0f$0...@pita.alt.net>, TwinIon <twi...@myhome.now> wrote:

>I would also strongly urge fanfic and fortrade of farscape-related stuff be
>allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.

The FAQ is silent on these subjects, but I will quote from the newsgroup
charter:

"Binary files, fan fiction, and spam are expressly prohibited. Advertising
will be allowed if it is on-topic, and is posted no more than once a week."

Fanfic is prohibited because there can be legal problems if people that work
on the show read it, and we don't want to exclude them from the discussion.

Dikdikuk

Jun 4, 2001, 6:33:47 PM6/4/01
>Subject: The whole Lurkerposting shebang

>From: Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com

<snipping madly so as not to annoy, yet attempting to retain enough to make
this make sense>

>> There are plenty of other FS-based communities
>>Snip<
>Not on usenet

Psst. There's a big world out there, if you just tweak them there curtains.

>> Keeping 'on' and 'off' topic posts 'separate' is just plain impossible
>Hogwash. Put "OT" in your subject line so those who don't want to read
>know to skip over it.

Point half taken; the real question I was trying to address was what precisely
constituted 'off-topic'. I'm personally not bothered by posts about Nick's
dog, eg, but I appreciate others might be. The woolly ground is when FS
conversations bleed from specific reference to stuff which is relevant only in
an indirect way.

> It is unaccepatable to flame someone who asks for the faq or has missed
>episodes of the show and needs to be filled in.

'It is unacceptable'?? OK, now who's 'in control'? In all the time I have
lurked and posted here, I have never known anyone get flamed for 'asking for
the FAQ'. If they ask for it, they get it. If they ask a reasonable question,
Thinkum or some equally generous soul will point them to the FAQ and
Snurcher's, and frankly, if they can't find the answers from those two fine
resources (as occasionally is claimed), then they probably shouldn't be in
charge of a keyboard without supervision.

>Telling someone the show has
>been cancelled when you know that is false is rude.

Rude? Probably. But funny. It's an in-joke; all communities have them. And
since it's a very well-worn in-joke, if you've had the courtesy to lurk for a
bit before diving in, you'll get it. (You are going to chew me up for that
'courtesy' remark, aren't you?)

>let a few more folks into the ng that actually want to
>talk about Farscape is all, don't go out of your way to be rude to them
>and don't take over their threads.

Maybe I just see much of the rudeness as humorous - which is how it is meant.
Anyone who doesn't find that sort of humour funny is probably not going to
enjoy being here very much. As for 'taking over someone's thread' - possession
is nine tenths of the law. You send it out into the ether, people can do with
it as they please. I've always rather enjoyed the way a discussion about
wormholes can wind up being about chocolate.

>Nice talkin to ya dik,

Good to meet you too, crisis, and no hard feelings - just chucking my tuppence
across the pond.

dik:)

Mark Morrison

Jun 4, 2001, 7:11:02 PM6/4/01

I'd like to see a .creative newsgroup. I nothing else, I could reduce
the number of websites I trawl through looking for new fic.

Nick

Jun 4, 2001, 7:20:39 PM6/4/01
Dikdikuk wrote:

>Point half taken; the real question I was trying to address was what precisely
>constituted 'off-topic'. I'm personally not bothered by posts about Nick's
>dog, eg,

Everyone keeps mentioning me by name. I am starting to get a complex.

haijak

Jun 4, 2001, 7:28:11 PM6/4/01
In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
larso...@yahoo.com says...

ok it was here I belive that I was seriously reticuled for my spelling
(could be wrong about that) a while (month or 2) ago (I like parens
"()"). that is why I have generally added the followingg signature to
all of my posts on any news group to tell others "I know, don't bother
commenting on the spelling. I don't realy care as long as the reader
can almost make out what I'm trying to say" places like this arn't
exactly havens for professi0nalism.

I generally think some people take some comments to serously.
if someone is mean about a question you asked ignore them.
if someone actualy answers the question be cautious of the quality.
if several people give a similar answer, use your own judgement.
and
if nobody gives you any useful information go hunting on your own
for the answer.

if you take insults sent to public forums personally, your are just to
sensitive to post.

--
Yes my spelling is very poor.
If you would like to kill me pleas send all loaded guns

Crisis? What crisis?

Jun 4, 2001, 7:58:57 PM6/4/01
In article <20010604183347...@ng-fr1.aol.com>,
dikd...@aol.com says...

> >Subject: The whole Lurkerposting shebang
>
> >From: Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com
SNIP

> >> There are plenty of other FS-based communities
Here's the Farscape stuff I can access on my news server:
Alt.binaries.multimedia.farscape
Alt.binaries.tv.farscape.
alt.tv.farscape
I have no use for binary ngs and I bet I'd get an eye full to. My husband
would have a cow if he found out I was in a binary ng on his computer.
As for the SciFi Channel's message board, that script and cookie plagued
monstrosity doesn't count. I'll bet they'd drop a transparent gif on my
hd too.

> Point half taken; the real question I was trying to address was what precisely
> constituted 'off-topic'. I'm personally not bothered by posts about Nick's
> dog, eg, but I appreciate others might be. The woolly ground is when FS
> conversations bleed from specific reference to stuff which is relevant only in
> an indirect way.
True, it is easy for a thread to DRIFT off topic, I see it all the time
and do it myself sometimes too. What's annoying is when someone starts an
on topic thread and it's almost immediately taken over by off topic
silliness and you have to wade thru dozens and dozens of these messages
to locate the on topic posts. I don't mind Nick's posts about his dog
either as long as he doesn't drop them into the middle of the "Eat Me"
episode thread. Apparently you missed the "I can morph this thread in 5
posts" thread from a couple weeks back.

> > It is unaccepatable to flame someone who asks for the faq or has missed
> >episodes of the show and needs to be filled in.

>SNIP<

> 'It is unacceptable'?? OK, now who's 'in control'? In all the time I have
> lurked and posted here, I have never known anyone get flamed for 'asking for
> the FAQ'. If they ask for it, they get it. If they ask a reasonable question,
> Thinkum or some equally generous soul will point them to the FAQ and

> Snurcher's, .
>SNIP<
I've seen this happen to people here. Yes, someone will point them to the
faq eventually, but usually only after a few useless or even rude
comments. Thinkum usually points them to the faq and snurchers.com and
today I noticed Nick (bless'im, without a single silly comment) post the
link for somebody. This ng would be %100 useless without Thinkum.

> >Telling someone the show has
> >been cancelled when you know that is false is rude.
>

> Rude? Probably. But funny,
Not funny if you've just discovered the show.
>SNIP

>if you've had the courtesy to lurk for a
> bit before diving in, you'll get it. (You are going to chew me up for that
> 'courtesy' remark, aren't you?)

Yeah I am because I've said more than once here, I've been lurking here
more than a year. Now, which of us hasn't lurked long enough.

> >let a few more folks into the ng that actually want to
> >talk about Farscape is all, don't go out of your way to be rude to them
> >and don't take over their threads.
>
> Maybe I just see much of the rudeness as humorous - which is how it is meant.
> Anyone who doesn't find that sort of humour funny is probably not going to
> enjoy being here very much. As for 'taking over someone's thread' - possession
> is nine tenths of the law. You send it out into the ether, people can do with
> it as they please. I've always rather enjoyed the way a discussion about
> wormholes can wind up being about chocolate.

Yeah that's o.k. if you got broadband but if you got a reeeeaaaaallll
sssslllooooowwww dialup connection it's a pain and the amount of it that
goes on in this ng is absurd. Some people who only want to read about the
show would appreciate being able to filter the foolishness.

> >Nice talkin to ya dik,
>
> Good to meet you too, crisis, and no hard feelings - just chucking my tuppence
> across the pond.
>
> dik:)

Nope, no hard feelings, take care across the pond,
crisis

Thinkum

Jun 4, 2001, 8:35:45 PM6/4/01
Crisis? What crisis? wrote:
> dikd...@aol.com says...

> Here's the Farscape stuff I can access on my news server:
> Alt.binaries.multimedia.farscape
> Alt.binaries.tv.farscape.
> alt.tv.farscape
> I have no use for binary ngs and I bet I'd get an eye full to. My husband
> would have a cow if he found out I was in a binary ng on his computer.

You might also check out uk.media.tv.sf.farscape (they have not seen Season 3
yet, so be careful not to spoiler them). If your current server doesn't
carry the UK hierarchy, many of us use a free server in Germany that would
probably work for you.

> As for the SciFi Channel's message board, that script and cookie plagued
> monstrosity doesn't count. I'll bet they'd drop a transparent gif on my
> hd too.

There are a number of other Farscape message boards on the web; SciFi's is
the most well-known, but I've heard of at least two or three others that
several folks I know post to, and they've generally commented on how much
better the interfaces are than SciFi's. I could probably dig up URLs, if you
want...

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Dikdikuk

Jun 4, 2001, 8:42:44 PM6/4/01
>> >From: Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com
>SNIP

> Here's the Farscape stuff I can access on my news server:
>Alt.binaries.multimedia.farscape
>Alt.binaries.tv.farscape.
>alt.tv.farscape

I meant beyond your news server. Plus you missed off umtsf. We are nice
people over there.

> This ng would be %100 useless without Thinkum.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hell yeah!

Happy Birthday to Snurcher's - one glorious year of being the most informative
and well-researched and just plain gorgeous site out there.

Wow, Thinkum is going to hate that. Hehe.

>>if you've had the courtesy to lurk for a
>> bit before diving in, you'll get it. (You are going to chew me up for that
>> 'courtesy' remark, aren't you?)
>Yeah I am because I've said more than once here, I've been lurking here
>more than a year. Now, which of us hasn't lurked long enough.

Actually I was expecting to get chewed on for the 'courtesy' element - ie why
are newbies expected to be courteous when the response they get from 'regulars'
is (supposedly) far from it? To which I reply (echoing someone else's other
post a zillion posts ago on this subject): when you walk into someone's house
party and they are playing a song you don't like, you don't march over to the
stereo and put on your Vivaldi CDs. Or, if you do, don't expect to be invited
back.

>Yeah that's o.k. if you got broadband but if you got a reeeeaaaaallll
>sssslllooooowwww dialup connection it's a pain and the amount of it that
>goes on in this ng is absurd.

Hahahahahaha. I live in the UK. We don't even understand the concept of
broadband. I read this group from a dialup connection on the mankiest
pile-of-dren PC you could imagine. (For a guideline - I found a PC of the same
spec in a 2nd hand magazine today for 75 quid ONO...which given that PCs cost
more over here works out as probably equivalent to $75). I lurk here because I
don't always get to see eps the same time as you guys, and because I know I
can't keep up absolutely. But that's no reason not to come and play from time
to time.

Oh, and Nick? It's all personal. I'm just plain obsessed with you.

dik:)

Nick

Jun 4, 2001, 8:53:20 PM6/4/01
Dikdikuk wrote:

>WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hell yeah!
>
>Happy Birthday to Snurcher's - one glorious year of being the most informative
>and well-researched and just plain gorgeous site out there.
>
>Wow, Thinkum is going to hate that. Hehe.

Is it a year already?
I remember when she first got her domain and hadn't even started yet.

>Oh, and Nick? It's all personal. I'm just plain obsessed with you.

thank you, sooz

Thinkum

Jun 4, 2001, 9:08:05 PM6/4/01
Dikdikuk wrote:
> Crisis? What crisis? cri...@nocrisis.com
>>
>> This ng would be %100 useless without Thinkum.

Thank you, Crisis. I appreciate the compliment, but respectfully disagree; I
can guarantee you there are a few folks who think it would be 100% *less*
useless without Thinkum...

We're a broad mix of tastes and personalities here, and I wouldn't trade any
of 'em (even the ones who annoy the dren out of me).

And Traci is my role model. <bg>

> WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hell yeah!
>
> Happy Birthday to Snurcher's - one glorious year of being the most
> informative and well-researched and just plain gorgeous site out there.
>
> Wow, Thinkum is going to hate that. Hehe.

My forgiveness will cost you serious quantities of HobNobs... <beg>

(Seriously, ty for the lovely comments, dik. ;-)

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

*NaNcY*

Jun 4, 2001, 9:08:16 PM6/4/01

First I read that you have lost your harem, then I see this. Poor
Nick, maybe you are having personal personality problems!
--

*NaNcY*
/\_____/\

Thinkum

Jun 4, 2001, 9:17:00 PM6/4/01
Nick wrote:
> Dikdikuk wrote:
>>
>> WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hell yeah!
>>
>> Happy Birthday to Snurcher's - one glorious year of being the most
>> informative and well-researched and just plain gorgeous site out
>> there.
>>
>> Wow, Thinkum is going to hate that. Hehe.
>
> Is it a year already?
> I remember when she first got her domain and hadn't even started yet.

It is indeed. A year ago TODAY, in fact, is when the domain went online.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Gillygan

Jun 4, 2001, 9:18:48 PM6/4/01

}
}So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
}you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
}reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.

Since I post infrequently I guess I am a lurker. I enjoy the ng. It is
lively, spirited and funny. Besides it is just a TV show we are
talking about here. If only FS topics were discussed then once the
show is canceled and off the air the ng will look like
alt.tv.amer-gothic. Farscape may be the substance of this ng but the
OT posts are the soul.
G-

TwinIon

Jun 4, 2001, 10:09:06 PM6/4/01
There are 3 ways to go about it if fanfic were to be allowed :-

1. Post the URL to the actual fanfic site.
2. Put a label like [FANFIC] on the title so that people can filter it off
3. Break up the fanfic in pages

In article <9fgou1$n2q$1...@laurel.tc.umn.edu>, "Jeffrey M. Johnson"

Erica Sadun

Jun 5, 2001, 12:32:02 AM6/5/01
In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote:

> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
> treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
> those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I would ask
> the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the very least, post
> nothing to bias it.
>
> So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
> you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
> reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.

Given that this is the very first post I've read, I'm fully prepared
to say that every poster that inhabits this newsgroups is

(a) evil;
(b) rude; and
(c) suffers from debilitating halitosis and a suspicious family tree.

Fair enough?

That having been said, let's move on. What's the deal with the
blue chick? Of the half dozen episodes I've seen, she was quite
fun while chopping off the pilot's arm but got mushy and sentimental
in others. Which is a better indicator of her character. The whole
"I'll take your pain" while waving around a large axe amused me
no end.

-- Erica, newbie, currently uncliqued.

--
"Digital Photography! I Didn't Know You Could Do That..." (2nd Edition) and
"Digital Video! IDKYCDT..." forthcoming from Sybex Books, September 2001

Nick

Jun 4, 2001, 11:34:28 PM6/4/01
TwinIon wrote:

>There are 3 ways to go about it if fanfic were to be allowed :-
>
>1. Post the URL to the actual fanfic site.
>2. Put a label like [FANFIC] on the title so that people can filter it off
>3. Break up the fanfic in pages

Would someone who has not been killfiled please tell Brainiac the
reasons we have stated for why we do not do fanfic here?

Rick

Jun 4, 2001, 11:32:09 PM6/4/01
Brenda wrote:
> Jim Larson wrote :

At the risk of repeating myself, I LOVE this here Brenda! :)
--
Rick

The public wants what the public gets
But I don't get what this society wants

Jim Larson

Jun 4, 2001, 11:41:34 PM6/4/01
er...@mindspring.com (Erica Sadun) wrote in
<erica-04060...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>:

>In article <Xns90B6751B4950ds...@130.133.1.4>,
>larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote:
>
>> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
>> treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to
>> ask those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I
>> would ask the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the
>> very least, post nothing to bias it.
>>
>> So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know
>> what you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
>> reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.
>
>Given that this is the very first post I've read, I'm fully prepared
>to say that every poster that inhabits this newsgroups is
>
>(a) evil;
>(b) rude; and
>(c) suffers from debilitating halitosis and a suspicious family tree.
>
>Fair enough?

Hardly. Sure (a) and (b) are fine and my family tree contains some unsavory
fruit, but I do not have halitosis.

>That having been said, let's move on. What's the deal with the
>blue chick? Of the half dozen episodes I've seen, she was quite
>fun while chopping off the pilot's arm but got mushy and sentimental
>in others. Which is a better indicator of her character. The whole
>"I'll take your pain" while waving around a large axe amused me
>no end.

Erica, meet Tom. Tom, Erica. There is a difference of opinion on what
happened to Zhaan, but some here think the folks in charge never quite
decided what they wanted out of the character and simply lost focus with
her.

--
Jim

Jim Larson

Jun 4, 2001, 11:51:21 PM6/4/01
Erica Sadun. The name looked familiar, but I couldn't place it until doing
a quick google search.

I used to lurk on the Robert Jordan group several years ago. Eventually, I
decided that Mr. Jordan was unlikely to finish his series in my lifetime
and just gave up.

--
Jim

Thinkum

Jun 5, 2001, 12:00:21 AM6/5/01

I second Nick's motion. Suggestion #1 is just fine, and I would encourage
folks interested in fanfic to post URLs. The other two options are right
out, for reasons that Traci, I, and um...Paul? (sorry, it's late, and I'm too
sleepy to search the thread) stated earlier today.

The usenet convention is to use .creative groups for fanfic. I will
cheerfully, and with a clean heart, support anyone wishing to launch a
.creative group for Farscape.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

freightboy

Jun 5, 2001, 12:14:39 AM6/5/01
Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> said:

It's better to try to find a more general group to post fanfic to
for a while. The convention is that a new group should only be
created if there is 10 on topic posts per day for the preceding
90 days. There certainly has not been that much fanfic posted
on usenet to meet that threshold. OTOH, it's merely a guideline
and here on alt.* anyone can newgroup at any time and for any
reason.

green

Jun 5, 2001, 12:43:45 AM6/5/01
Again, munging the e-mail address to circumvent any killfile
complications... I am re-posting this in order to ensure its
being seen and read and hopefully understood (and hopefully
complied with).

tbr...@best.com (T. Erik Browne) wrote:
> TwinIon <twi...@myhome.now> wrote:
>>

>>I would also strongly urge fanfic and for-trade of farscape-related

>>stuff be allowed and the "ban" taken away from the FAQ.
>
> The FAQ is silent on these subjects, but I will quote from the
> newsgroup charter:
>
> "Binary files, fan fiction, and spam are expressly prohibited.
> Advertising will be allowed if it is on-topic, and is posted no
> more than once a week."
>
> Fanfic is prohibited because there can be legal problems if people
> that work on the show read it, and we don't want to exclude them
> from the discussion.

By the numbers. Binary files are prohibited for obvious reasons.
However, allow me to offer a quick explanation. Binary files
tend to be rather large. If permitted in a non-binary group,
servers will start expiring articles in said group more quickly
to alleviate storage consideration problems. There are two
binaries groups for FARSCAPE - alt.binaries.farscape AND alt.
binaries.tv.farscape. If your server does not carry either of
these, you can either use http://www.newzbot.com to search for
an open server which DOES carry them OR you can use
MailAndNews.com, a web-based mail and news service which carries
BOTH. The interface sucks but you will have access to those
groups.

Fan-fiction? For the reasons stated above. If you are a
budding author and have a raging hard-on to post your stories
here, DON'T. On this issue there will be no bending nor slack
cut. You will be hounded to the ends of the earth. Get your-
self a website or else make it available to folks via e-mail.
Nobody should get on your case if you advertise such (once a
week - more is a tad excessive).

Spam? Do I ~really~... No. Didn't think so.

Look, twinion. We (or at least some of 'we') are making an
effort to meet you halfway here. As I said, there are other
alternatives for fan-fiction besides posting it here. The
group already has enough clutter. Help us out and don't
rock the boat on this one. Thanks.

J_a_m_e_s
((my real e-mail address is in the
Organization header))

stefaan.dc

Jun 5, 2001, 1:02:10 AM6/5/01
>In article <MPG.1585e53cb...@news-server.hvc.rr.com>, haijak
Wise words for a wise man. BTW my spelling is poor too, but I think you
noticed that by now ;-)

--
Fatman Stephen

Crisis what crisis?

Jun 5, 2001, 1:21:10 AM6/5/01
In article <01HW.B741A1A10...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,
thinku...@snurcher.com says...
Thanks for the tips Thinkum. I have never tried to access a free server
but there are a couple of ngs I can't read on all my accounts and I've
been thinking of looking it to that option.
These other message boards, do they run alot of scripts (script errors
drive me nuts) or try to dump cookies and transparent gifs on my hd? That
sort of stuff is why I shy away from web boards, I don't like having to
register either. If they ran at a decent clip on my dial up account I'd
check them out.
thanks again,
crisis.

Crisis what crisis?

Jun 5, 2001, 1:38:39 AM6/5/01
In article <20010604204244...@ng-mm1.aol.com>,
dikd...@aol.com says...
>SNIP

> I meant beyond your news server. Plus you missed off umtsf. We are nice
> people over there.
Not on my server. Thinkum says I could access it from a free server in
Germany.
>SNIP<

> when you walk into someone's house
> party and they are playing a song you don't like, you don't march over to the
> stereo and put on your Vivaldi CDs. Or, if you do, don't expect to be invited
> back.
I never go to parties were I know the music is going to suck, I'm a snob
when it comes to music.

<SNIP<

> Hahahahahaha. I live in the UK. We don't even understand the concept of
> broadband.

Broadband is addictive.

> I read this group from a dialup connection on the mankiest
> pile-of-dren PC you could imagine. (For a guideline - I found a PC of the same
> spec in a 2nd hand magazine today for 75 quid ONO...which given that PCs cost
> more over here works out as probably equivalent to $75). I lurk here because I
> don't always get to see eps the same time as you guys, and because I know I
> can't keep up absolutely. But that's no reason not to come and play from time
> to time.

My sympathy on your lousy computer. How slow is your connection?
Why don't you lurk less and post more? The ng wouldn't seem as if it's
the private domain of a privileged few if more folks like you posted.
Helps drown out the racket from the goofs (or peackeepers as twinion has
dubbed them).
Nice talkin' to ya,
crisis

Marco_dsnb

Jun 5, 2001, 3:54:21 AM6/5/01
On 4 Jun 2001 15:31:18 GMT, larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote:

>After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
>treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
>those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I would ask
>the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the very least, post
>nothing to bias it.
>
>So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
>you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
>reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.

I have been lurking for about six months now. I used to post and have
been called a pig by Anna, ripped apart by Mr. Gutke, and even Tom has
had his fun, but did that stop me from posting, no. I think that it
has to do with my sense of humor, and the simple fact that words on my
computer monitor can't hurt me.
As far as newbies go, there are going to be more of them. Voyager has
ended and there isn't really any good science fiction programs
(although Voyager wasn't that good) out there. If your into teen
angst, there is the WB, but nothing like Farscape. Be patient.
Farscape needs more viewers. For my own part, I want Farscape to run
for years.
As far as the regulars go, they're regulars. If you want to join the
fun do so, but remember to wear you armor and to learn how to laugh.
Here's a little story for the newbies.
A long time ago, I was playing street ball with some friends. And
never did I think that I would get twelve stitches just above my right
eye and just underneath the eyebrow, three stitches in my nose,
mutiple cuts on my eye lid, and my upper cheek, and almost lose my
eye. I was going for a rebound when I got elbowed in the eye,
shattering my glasses and sending me to the asphalt. I remember lying
there holding my hand over my eye, feeling the blood run through my
fingers onto the hot ground. Through the mayham, I heard, "Hey, man.
You okay?", and then I swear I heard someone say, "Hey, that's a
foul." No fucking dah. No blood, no foul. Remember that and to play
nice.
Fate bravi,
Marco

"George Bernard Shaw said, 'My way of joking is to tell the truth.
It's the funniest joke in the world.'"
- The Invisible Man, Episode 15, "Ghost of a Chance"

Marco_dsnb
Fanatic #555-3762
Warrior Priest/Berserker/K.O.T.W.
Rank: First Lieutenant

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 6:38:56 AM6/5/01
On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:35:45 -0400, Thinkum
<thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote:

>Crisis? What crisis? wrote:
>> dikd...@aol.com says...

>> Here's the Farscape stuff I can access on my news server:
>> Alt.binaries.multimedia.farscape
>> Alt.binaries.tv.farscape.
>> alt.tv.farscape
>> I have no use for binary ngs and I bet I'd get an eye full to. My husband
>> would have a cow if he found out I was in a binary ng on his computer.
>
>You might also check out uk.media.tv.sf.farscape (they have not seen Season 3
>yet, so be careful not to spoiler them). If your current server doesn't
>carry the UK hierarchy, many of us use a free server in Germany that would
>probably work for you.

<snip>

Crisis, I don't think you'd like umtsf at the moment. The only
ongoing threads are - complaining about Sky's spoilers, Blake's 7,
Spaced vs Ultraviolet and soccer...

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 6:55:38 AM6/5/01
On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:20:39 -0500, Nick <ni...@snurcher.com> wrote:

Interesting. I'm starting to develop a simple.

Trystilarn

Jun 5, 2001, 7:00:44 AM6/5/01
markmo...@cableinet.co.uk (Mark Morrison):

>Crisis, I don't think you'd like umtsf at the moment. The only
>ongoing threads are - complaining about Sky's spoilers, Blake's 7,
>Spaced vs Ultraviolet and soccer...

Yes, but think of all the marvy opportunities to deliver little
finger-wagging lectures on How This Place Should Really
Be Run. I'm sure it would be appreciated.

John Iwaniszek

Jun 5, 2001, 7:49:35 AM6/5/01

You know what? I'm starting to think you are just sourpuss.

Tom Francis

Jun 5, 2001, 8:40:30 AM6/5/01

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

I love these complaints about slow connections and downloading the
THOUSANDS of posts.

I download twice a day - usually average 300 or so posts during
hiatus and more during the season run and it never takes more than
30 seconds.

And I've got the lousiest dialup connection in the universe.

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 11:15:59 AM6/5/01

Wouldn't bother me, his posts don't show up on my newsreader.

He posted on a rpg ng I read, and the same thing happened there.

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 11:17:12 AM6/5/01
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:40:30 -0400, "Tom Francis" <to...@neca.com>
wrote:

Ditto, and I dl bodies, too.

Jim Larson

Jun 5, 2001, 11:20:28 AM6/5/01
markmo...@cableinet.co.uk (Mark Morrison) wrote in
<3b1cf9ba...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>:

>On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:40:30 -0400, "Tom Francis" <to...@neca.com>
>wrote:

<snip>

>> And I've got the lousiest dialup connection in the universe.
>>

>Ditto, and I dl bodies, too.

How do you fit them into the little wires? Feet first or head first?

--
Jim

Tom Francis

Jun 5, 2001, 11:45:52 AM6/5/01

"Jim Larson" <larso...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

He chops them up into little bits - get it - bits?

Jim Larson

Jun 5, 2001, 11:58:03 AM6/5/01
"Tom Francis" <to...@neca.com> wrote in <9fiuos$4aq05$1@ID-
36512.news.dfncis.de>:

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha.......no, what's a bit?[1]

--
Jim

[1] Kidding. But I hope to God that's obvious.

Tom Francis

Jun 5, 2001, 12:04:56 PM6/5/01

> [1] Kidding. But I hope to God that's obvious.

Jim old buddy, with what's been happening lately, I wouldn't doubt
it.

Thinkum

Jun 5, 2001, 12:07:25 PM6/5/01
Mark Morrison wrote:
> Trystilarn wrote:
>> Mark Morrison:

>>> Crisis, I don't think you'd like umtsf at the moment. The only
>>> ongoing threads are - complaining about Sky's spoilers, Blake's 7,
>>> Spaced vs Ultraviolet and soccer...
>>
>> Yes, but think of all the marvy opportunities to deliver little
>> finger-wagging lectures on How This Place Should Really
>> Be Run. I'm sure it would be appreciated.
>
> Wouldn't bother me, his posts don't show up on my newsreader.
> He posted on a rpg ng I read, and the same thing happened there.

(I thought Crisis was a she?)

That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?) said they
never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are using the same newsreader,
and experiencing the same software bug or something.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Jim Larson

Jun 5, 2001, 12:08:28 PM6/5/01
Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote in
<01HW.B7427BFD0...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>:

Uh, Thinkum, I believe that in Mark's case, the "bug" in question is called
a killfile.

--
Jim

catherine

Jun 5, 2001, 12:10:57 PM6/5/01

"Thinkum"wrote

T'was not me. I can see Traci just fine and I'm using the German server,
just like a lot of other folks-

Thinkum

Jun 5, 2001, 12:23:16 PM6/5/01
Jim Larson wrote:
> Thinkum wrote:
>> Mark Morrison wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't bother me, his posts don't show up on my newsreader.
>>> He posted on a rpg ng I read, and the same thing happened there.
>>
>> (I thought Crisis was a she?)
>>
>> That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?) said
>> they never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are using the same
>> newsreader, and experiencing the same software bug or something.
>
> Uh, Thinkum, I believe that in Mark's case, the "bug" in question is called
> a killfile.

Okay. It didn't sound that way to me, from the way he phrased it.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Traci York

Jun 5, 2001, 12:31:10 PM6/5/01
"catherine" <casumme...@velocityhsi.com> wrote:
> "Thinkum"wrote

<snip>

> > That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?) said
> > they never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are using the same
> > newsreader, and experiencing the same software bug or something.

Hmmmm, yet another good reason to stop procrastinating and start using my
new NR. <g>

> T'was not me. I can see Traci just fine and I'm using the German server,
> just like a lot of other folks-

/me waves to catherine *grin*

You're both correct - it was Catherine Leonard who said she couldn't see me.
Can you see me now, Cate?

--
Traci (to reply, remove "NOTHANKS")
"Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold/that lies in the deep
distance..."
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Creator/Maintainer of the alt.tv.farscape FAQ
http://pages.prodigy.net/cailibear/alt.tv.farscapeFAQ.htm

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 1:38:28 PM6/5/01

I was referring to Twinion. I'm using Free Agent, if that's relevant.

Jim Larson

Jun 5, 2001, 1:39:43 PM6/5/01
markmo...@cableinet.co.uk (Mark Morrison) wrote in
<3b1d1aa0...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>:

Wait. Now I'm confused. Did you killfile one of these people (Twinion or
Crisis) or are you just unable to see them. I assumed from your comment
about your RPG group that you killfiled one of them.

--
Jim

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 1:45:33 PM6/5/01

Head, after I cut off the arms.

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 1:45:55 PM6/5/01

Byte me.

Thinkum

Jun 5, 2001, 2:03:09 PM6/5/01
Crisis what crisis? wrote:
> thinku...@snurcher.com says...

>> There are a number of other Farscape message boards on the web; SciFi's is
>> the most well-known, but I've heard of at least two or three others that
>> several folks I know post to, and they've generally commented on how much
>> better the interfaces are than SciFi's. I could probably dig up URLs, if
>> you want...
>
> Thanks for the tips Thinkum. I have never tried to access a free server
> but there are a couple of ngs I can't read on all my accounts and I've
> been thinking of looking it to that option.

That's why I wound up on the German server, myself -- I wanted to follow the
UK Farscape group, and none of my regular newsservers carried the UK
hierarchy.

> These other message boards, do they run alot of scripts (script errors
> drive me nuts) or try to dump cookies and transparent gifs on my hd?

Not a clue; this newsgroup, its UK counterpart, and an occasional drive-by of
the SciFi board are about all I need/want/can find time for.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Boldman

Jun 5, 2001, 2:32:37 PM6/5/01

"Brenda" <Scr...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
<Frell! Snipped!>

> As to how I've been treated, the worst I can say is that I've been
> occasionally ignored, but I'm don't think so highly of myself to believe
> that everyone, or even anyone, is going to be interested in my every word.
> I I did lurk quite a while and read the FAQ, so I didn't ask anything
> really stupid either. I do think that some of the newcomers have been
> treated harshly from time to time and personally, I am going to go out of
my
> way to treat them nicer (if Thinkum doesn't get to them first.) But I
also
> understand where this is coming from. The thing that finally drove me
from
> the Scifi BB at the end of S2 was the 100th time someone asked if Aeryn
was
> really dead. I think my last post went something like "Yes, she's dead.
> DEAD, DEAD, DEAD." The ng was like a breath of fresh air.

Newcomers...newbies... I think the main point that I'd like to add here is
that newbies to PCs and ng's in general are not acquainted with the idea of
what an FAQ is meant to represent. It's not just Frequently Asked Questions,
it's the "bible" of the newsgroup, the statement of the etiquette to be
followed therein. Trying to remember back to when I showed up in atf is
difficult but I do remember kinda thinking that I wouldn't need to check out
an FAQ because I pretty much knew all there was to know on FS at the time.
Yes, my mistake - I was new to all this though and didn't realise that it
was more than that.

> Off topic posting: Yes, it's excessive. So what? Most of it's more
> interesting than disecting J/A's relationship for the 1000th time.
Farscape
> isn't on 24/7. Eventually everything is discussed to death. I find the
> discussion of scifi books and some of the other scifi shows to be
> informative. Much of the rest is just damned amusing. If a thread goes
off
> onto a topic I'm not interested in, I just mark the conversation as read.
Of
> course, I'm on cable modem so the volumn doesn't bother me. When a post
is
> first made, I think the title gives a pretty clear indication whether the
> post is on topic or off whether it's marked OT or not. For the
> consideration of those just scanning the ng for topical infomation, it
would
> probably be a good idea to make an effort to change the title when the
> thread goes off topic.

As for OT posting - keep it coming. Let atf be a place of learning!
Seriously though, I have learned stuff from reading OT posts on atf - off
the top of my head there has been the torpedos topic lately, but the NASA
stuff was also very interesting. If OT's in the subject header, what's the
problem? And if it's not, just ignore it. I only subscribe to a few ng's and
I think that some posters' annoyance at this topic probably stems from them
having too much reading. Cut down, chill out, and join a select few.

Boldman

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 3:22:43 PM6/5/01

No, I just can't see Twinion's posts. The only way I know he's posted
is when I see him quoted in replies. This is what happened in the rpg
group. I opened up a post and at the top was "Twinion said..."

Like I said, weird.

TwinIon

Jun 5, 2001, 3:41:19 PM6/5/01
Hi, my reply as follows.

In article <Xns90B6E67E1DC...@130.133.1.4>, greeni...@green.com
(green) wrote:

> By the numbers. Binary files are prohibited for obvious reasons.
> However, allow me to offer a quick explanation. Binary files
> tend to be rather large. If permitted in a non-binary group,
> servers will start expiring articles in said group more quickly
> to alleviate storage consideration problems. There are two
> binaries groups for FARSCAPE - alt.binaries.farscape AND alt.
> binaries.tv.farscape. If your server does not carry either of
> these, you can either use http://www.newzbot.com to search for
> an open server which DOES carry them OR you can use
> MailAndNews.com, a web-based mail and news service which carries
> BOTH. The interface sucks but you will have access to those
> groups.

Oh, I'm against binaries even much more than I'm against OT posts, much, much
more. I can tolerate some OT post but if someone ever fo excessive binary
posting in a non-binary newsgroup, I will report to the offender's
ISP.

At least we can agree binaries is a no-no.

Perhaps you can see my point of view if I use binary as an analogy to the OT
posts here. It's like I step into a ng who tell me I should not top post but
for some strange reason, has tons of binary posting even though it is not a
binary ng. Well, if you still cannot see my point of view, there is nothing I
can say anymore.

> Fan-fiction? For the reasons stated above. If you are a
> budding author and have a raging hard-on to post your stories
> here, DON'T. On this issue there will be no bending nor slack
> cut. You will be hounded to the ends of the earth. Get your-
> self a website or else make it available to folks via e-mail.
> Nobody should get on your case if you advertise such (once a
> week - more is a tad excessive).

OK, if there are legal issues involve, I can understand why fanfic is not
allowed here and accept the rule. Plus people can at least post a link to
their web site (and get whatever consequence involved).

See, I'm not entirely unreasonable.

> Spam? Do I ~really~... No. Didn't think so.

No, (for sale) FS items are not Spam. Spam is what I consider to be excessive
posting of advertisement, especially of dubious nature (usually involving
getting rich quick or growing one's appendage real quick). Still, I did read
that the FAQ allow posting of FS but not too frequently. That is fine.

> Look, twinion. We (or at least some of 'we') are making an
> effort to meet you halfway here. As I said, there are other
> alternatives for fan-fiction besides posting it here. The
> group already has enough clutter. Help us out and don't
> rock the boat on this one. Thanks.

James, I'm not rocking the boat. I have never had the intention of doing it.
Perhaps it may not look that way, but that is how I see it. I have been
defending myself from day one. Of course, to defend oneself, sometime you have
to launch an offensive (no one win a "war" by being a turtle). I have said
repeatedly I have no intention to join the club (because it is not my nature
to be chummy with people I never met face to face) and all I want to discuss
is farscape or anything related (merchandise, cast, crew, expanded universe,
i.e. computer games, books, and of course the tv itself). Actually, discuss is
not entirely accurate, strangely I have no desire to post here that often
until this flame-skirmish.

The problem lies in the word "some of you". Perhaps my perception has,
probably erroneously, been facing this multi-headed hydra. Hence even though
some of you may have been more pacifists and reasonable than others, I
had lumped you together and treated as one.

It may have been wiser of me to treat you guys as individuals but trust me,
when you are at this end, you'll probably did what I did. Nuke first and ask
question later.

If you have ever watched B5, I'm quite like Sheridan or Delenn in this matter.
I generally try to be peaceful but if provoked, I will not hesitate to strike.
And when the smoke settles, I am still willing to talk.

Lastly the survey has been information collection primarily and proving a
point secondarily. It is not a tit-for-tat device. Perhaps if enough people
gives their point view, it may at least throw some light on it. If you and
your group would at least open your mind a little and let others have their
point of view. Then perhaps you will see that not every newbie who complained
or have a flame war with you is a jerk but someone who have a valid point,
even if it is opposite to yours.

And the main reason I killfiled is to weed out the OT posts. I have about 13
now just for this ng (and only 1 in another ng) and I have already managed to
filter off 80% of the posts here.

You have a nice day now.

*NaNcY*

Jun 5, 2001, 3:53:16 PM6/5/01
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:07:25 -0400, Thinkum
<thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote:

>Mark Morrison wrote:

>> Wouldn't bother me, his posts don't show up on my newsreader.
>> He posted on a rpg ng I read, and the same thing happened there.
>
>(I thought Crisis was a she?)
>
>That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?) said they
>never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are using the same newsreader,
>and experiencing the same software bug or something.

It has to do with their newsreader feed. Some newservers collect more
post from more places, and some don't. I used to love my little local
server, but they just missed so many posts I decided to go with a
larger, national server. Even a few of those I tried didn't pick up
all the posts.

Of course, they might have accidental kill-filed them.
--

*NaNcY*
/\_____/\

John Iwaniszek

Jun 5, 2001, 4:26:11 PM6/5/01

I think the thing I find so apalling about you and your style of
rhetoric is that neither one seems to benefit from the gifts you claim
to be bestowing on the newsgroup. The paragraph above speaks volumes
about your hypocrisy. On the one hand you claim to be seeking dialogue,
but on the other hand you actively silence a subgroup who has as much
right to be heard as any hypothetical hidden community.

Most intelligent people see through your facade to the petty, immature,
and silly person that you really are. You are not worthy of respect,
and in fact, are quite contemptible. Your actions here, played out ad
nauseum, demonstrate that you are not worth any further attention and
should be completely ignored.

Tom Francis

Jun 5, 2001, 4:34:08 PM6/5/01

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

Well said John and I appreciate your viewpoint.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the words to deal with this crap.

Well said.

Nick

Jun 5, 2001, 4:39:52 PM6/5/01
John Iwaniszek wrote:

I love you, John.

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 5:17:31 PM6/5/01
On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:53:16 GMT, *NaNcY*
<cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:07:25 -0400, Thinkum
><thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark Morrison wrote:
>

>>> Wouldn't bother me, his posts don't show up on my newsreader.
>>> He posted on a rpg ng I read, and the same thing happened there.
>>
>>(I thought Crisis was a she?)
>>
>>That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?) said they
>>never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are using the same newsreader,
>>and experiencing the same software bug or something.
>
>It has to do with their newsreader feed. Some newservers collect more
>post from more places, and some don't. I used to love my little local
>server, but they just missed so many posts I decided to go with a
>larger, national server. Even a few of those I tried didn't pick up
>all the posts.
>
>Of course, they might have accidental kill-filed them.
>--

I'm not complaining. I don't think I missed anything.

Gareth Kitchener

Jun 5, 2001, 6:21:27 PM6/5/01
In article <3b1d32c6...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
markmo...@cableinet.co.uk says...

> No, I just can't see Twinion's posts. The only way I know he's posted
> is when I see him quoted in replies. This is what happened in the rpg
> group. I opened up a post and at the top was "Twinion said..."

It's got to be the link between his ISP's news server and yours then.
Try http://pubnews.netcom.net.uk/ or http://news.cis.dfn.de/

--
Gareth Kitchener
Bedfordshire, England

Mark Morrison

Jun 5, 2001, 7:39:42 PM6/5/01
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:21:27 +0100, Gareth Kitchener <g...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>In article <3b1d32c6...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>markmo...@cableinet.co.uk says...
>> No, I just can't see Twinion's posts. The only way I know he's posted
>> is when I see him quoted in replies. This is what happened in the rpg
>> group. I opened up a post and at the top was "Twinion said..."
>>

>It's got to be the link between his ISP's news server and yours then.
>Try http://pubnews.netcom.net.uk/ or http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Were you not paying attention to the things Twinonion said ?

Why would I want to directly expose myself to his gibberings ?

I'm off to bed.

Gareth Kitchener

Jun 5, 2001, 8:25:53 PM6/5/01
In article <3b1d6f56...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
markmo...@cableinet.co.uk says...

Wimp! *Real* Internet Geeks are still on-line at 1.25 am. ;-)

Thinkum

Jun 5, 2001, 8:31:47 PM6/5/01
Gareth Kitchener wrote:
> markmo...@cableinet.co.uk says...

>> I'm off to bed.
>
> Wimp! *Real* Internet Geeks are still on-line at 1.25 am. ;-)

*Real* Internet Geeks never log off. ;-)

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

James

Jun 5, 2001, 11:47:37 PM6/5/01
[This is being reposted. The reason may/may not become
apparent to you by the end of the post. ]

-+-+-> *CLANG!* >saw-saw-saw< [clunk!]
-+-+-> ~pound!pound!pound!pound!~
-+-+-> What? Oh... nothin'.

Traci York <cail...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> catherine <casumme...@velocityhsi.com> wrote:
>> Thinkum wrote
>
> <snip>
>
>> > That's pretty weird, Mark. Someone over the weekend (catherine?)
>> > said they never saw Traci's posts -- I wonder if you two are
>> > using the same newsreader, and experiencing the same software
>> > bug or something.
>
> Hmmmm, yet another good reason to stop procrastinating and start
> using my new NR. <g>
>
>> T'was not me. I can see Traci just fine and I'm using the German
>> server, just like a lot of other folks-
>
> /me waves to catherine *grin*
>
> You're both correct - it was Catherine Leonard who said she couldn't
> see me. Can you see me now, Cate?

Now THIS was silly, Traci. If you think about it,
you will realize why.....

James <--> ja...@bigfoot.com
"Just offering up observations in the faint
hope that they might prove to be of value."

Traci York

Jun 6, 2001, 12:36:39 AM6/6/01
"James" <ja...@usa.net> wrote:
> Traci York <cail...@prodigy.net> wrote:
<snippage all over da place>

> > You're both correct - it was Catherine Leonard who said she couldn't
> > see me. Can you see me now, Cate?

> Now THIS was silly, Traci. If you think about it,
> you will realize why.....

Hmmm, thinking before posting .... interesting concept, James. I really
must try it sometime.

(psssst, ya big lunk - it was 'sposeta be silly. Sheesh....)

(psssst again - how goes the "jumpin' right on in" over in a.f.t-s? *grin*)

Brenda

Jun 6, 2001, 7:20:41 PM6/6/01

Rick <rlu...@execpc.com> wrote in message
> Brenda wrote:
> > Jim Larson wrote :
>
> At the risk of repeating myself, I LOVE this here Brenda! :)
> --
> Rick

Darlin', you may say it as many times as you want. ;-)

Bozohead

Jun 7, 2001, 1:56:08 AM6/7/01
Marco_dsnb <marc...@privacy.net> wrote in
<vb2phtsdtc7pr41i3...@4ax.com>:

>On 4 Jun 2001 15:31:18 GMT, larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote:
>
>> After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
>> treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to
>> ask those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I
>> would ask the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the
>> very least, post nothing to bias it.
>>
>> So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know
>> what you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
>> reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.
>

>I have been lurking for about six months now. I used to post and have
>been called a pig by Anna, ripped apart by Mr. Gutke, and even Tom has
>had his fun, but did that stop me from posting, no. I think that it
>has to do with my sense of humor, and the simple fact that words on my
>computer monitor can't hurt me.
>As far as newbies go, there are going to be more of them. Voyager has
>ended and there isn't really any good science fiction programs
>(although Voyager wasn't that good) out there. If your into teen
>angst, there is the WB, but nothing like Farscape. Be patient.
>Farscape needs more viewers. For my own part, I want Farscape to run
>for years.
>As far as the regulars go, they're regulars. If you want to join the
>fun do so, but remember to wear you armor and to learn how to laugh.
>Here's a little story for the newbies.
>A long time ago, I was playing street ball with some friends. And
>never did I think that I would get twelve stitches just above my right
>eye and just underneath the eyebrow, three stitches in my nose,
>mutiple cuts on my eye lid, and my upper cheek, and almost lose my
>eye. I was going for a rebound when I got elbowed in the eye,
>shattering my glasses and sending me to the asphalt. I remember lying
>there holding my hand over my eye, feeling the blood run through my
>fingers onto the hot ground. Through the mayham, I heard, "Hey, man.
>You okay?", and then I swear I heard someone say, "Hey, that's a
>foul." No fucking dah. No blood, no foul. Remember that and to play
>nice.
>Fate bravi,
>Marco
>

>"George Bernard Shaw said, 'My way of joking is to tell the truth.
> It's the funniest joke in the world.'"
>- The Invisible Man, Episode 15, "Ghost of a Chance"
>
>Marco_dsnb
>Fanatic #555-3762
>Warrior Priest/Berserker/K.O.T.W.
>Rank: First Lieutenant

I was actually just going to continue lurking and will probably after
posting this since someone will inevitably shoot me down. But your last
analogy clarified a thought I had regarding the social structure of most
ngs. They are ruled by Playground Politics; I post occassionaly and about
75% of the time I get some snide or insulting comment from one of the
regulars of the ng I'm posting to. The biggest mouth or the harshest
words seem to win out too many times in my opinion. Have we not grown
beyond slinging insults at each other like a bunch of 10-year olds? I do
not claim that this is the rule for everyong who posts but it does seem
to be a symptom of any long running discussion group here on Usenet.

And since the last time I posted a question to the Andromeda group I'm
including my email in the Organization line since that seems to be more
important than the substance of my post to some people.

Ciao for now,
Master of Bozos

Tom Francis

Jun 7, 2001, 7:30:05 AM6/7/01

"Marco_dsnb" <marc...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> On 4 Jun 2001 15:31:18 GMT, larso...@yahoo.com (Jim Larson) wrote:
>
> >After the recent complaints by a few (I believe 3) posters about our
> >treatment of newbies and our perceived cliquishness, I would like to ask
> >those who lurk or post infrequently to offer their opinions. I would ask
> >the regulars to kindly stay out of this thread or, at the very least,
post
> >nothing to bias it.
> >
> >So please consider delurking, at least for a moment, to let us know what
> >you think. I lurk on 2 other groups myself, so I can understand a
> >reluctance to jump in, but just this once, please consider it.
>

> I have been lurking for about six months now. I used to post and have
> been called a pig by Anna, ripped apart by Mr. Gutke, and even Tom has
> had his fun, but did that stop me from posting, no.

Marco!! Welcome back.

Well, let me just say this - you gave as good as you got.

And that is a plus.

> I think that it has to do with my sense of humor, and the simple fact
> that words on my computer monitor can't hurt me.

Bravo.

> As far as newbies go, there are going to be more of them. Voyager has
> ended and there isn't really any good science fiction programs
> (although Voyager wasn't that good) out there.

You make a good point here. We can only hope that ENTERPRISE
will syphon them back off.

> If your into teen angst, there is the WB, but nothing like Farscape. Be
> patient. Farscape needs more viewers. For my own part, I want Farscape
> to run for years.

Interesting point - anybody know if there is a time spec on the series
run?

> As far as the regulars go, they're regulars. If you want to join the
> fun do so, but remember to wear you armor and to learn how to laugh.

That's why most of us have been trying to say.

Marco_dsnb

Jun 7, 2001, 10:44:04 PM6/7/01
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 07:30:05 -0400, "Tom Francis" <to...@neca.com>
wrote:

Good to be back, Tom. We'll have to talk cigars. I am ready to give
up my Camels and go for some Macanudos.
Fai bravo,

Tom Francis

Jun 7, 2001, 10:50:48 PM6/7/01

"Marco_dsnb" <marc...@yahoo.com_nospam> wrote in message

I just got some great Churchill sized and my favorite cheroot
style Cubans.

Man, those are GREAT smokes.............

And they keep the 'skeeters miles away in the evening........

Traci York

Jun 7, 2001, 11:37:53 PM6/7/01
"Marco_dsnb" <marc...@yahoo.com_nospam> wrote:
<big, big, BIG snips>

> Good to be back, Tom. We'll have to talk cigars. I am ready to give
> up my Camels and go for some Macanudos.

Have you tried the Romeo Y Julieta brand? The Corona (I believe it was this
one - I don't have access to the humidor at the moment to check) has a nice
draw, and I found it to be very smooth...

http://www.smoke.co.uk/Cigars/romeo_y_julieta.htm

Thinkum

Jun 7, 2001, 11:40:24 PM6/7/01
Traci York wrote:

> Marco_dsnb wrote:
> <big, big, BIG snips>
>
>> Good to be back, Tom. We'll have to talk cigars. I am ready to give
>> up my Camels and go for some Macanudos.
>
> Have you tried the Romeo Y Julieta brand? The Corona (I believe it was this
> one - I don't have access to the humidor at the moment to check) has a nice
> draw, and I found it to be very smooth...
>
> http://www.smoke.co.uk/Cigars/romeo_y_julieta.htm

Traci smokes cigars?

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Nick

Jun 7, 2001, 11:39:42 PM6/7/01
Thinkum wrote:

Traci is the coolest thing going.

catherine

Jun 7, 2001, 11:40:47 PM6/7/01

"Thinkum" wrote

You got a problem with that?<w>

Thinkum

Jun 7, 2001, 11:42:54 PM6/7/01
Nick wrote:
> Thinkum wrote:
>> Traci York wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried the Romeo Y Julieta brand? The Corona (I believe it was
>>> this one - I don't have access to the humidor at the moment to check)
>>> has a nice draw, and I found it to be very smooth...
>>
>> Traci smokes cigars?
>
> Traci is the coolest thing going.

That goes without saying. ;-)

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Thinkum

Jun 7, 2001, 11:44:41 PM6/7/01
catherine wrote:
> Thinkum wrote
>> Traci York wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried the Romeo Y Julieta brand? The Corona (I believe it was
>>> this one - I don't have access to the humidor at the moment to check)
>>> has a nice draw, and I found it to be very smooth...
>>
>> Traci smokes cigars?
>
> You got a problem with that?<w>

Other than a selfish preference that my friends not develop cancer, nope.

I just wouldn't have guessed that.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

Traci York

Jun 7, 2001, 11:52:04 PM6/7/01

> >> Traci smokes cigars?

Don't worry dear - it is only an occasional thing. Jim & I will usually
share one, and that's only when the kids aren't around (that should give you
an idea of the frequency of our smoking habit <g>).

Funny - I hate cigarettes with a passion, but there's just something about a
nice, hand rolled cigar ....

Paul Fields

Jun 7, 2001, 11:50:26 PM6/7/01
"Thinkum" wrote
> catherine wrote:
> > Thinkum wrote
> >>

> >> Traci smokes cigars?
> >
> > You got a problem with that?<w>
>
> Other than a selfish preference that my friends not develop cancer, nope.

That, and trying to get the smell out of Shoulder-blade
length hair and suede & leather outfits.

Luckily Cigar once in a whilers are at much less risk than
pack a day smokers of cigarettes. Which since she's a
mommy I'd assume Traci isn't.

> I just wouldn't have guessed that.

me neither.. but its only about as bad as my glass of Scotch
a year habit is to my liver.

Paul

Mark Morrison

Jun 8, 2001, 5:44:27 AM6/8/01
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:52:04 -0400, "Traci York"
<cail...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>"Thinkum" <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote:
>> catherine wrote:
>> > Thinkum wrote

>> > You got a problem with that?<w>
>
>> Other than a selfish preference that my friends not develop cancer, nope.
>
>> I just wouldn't have guessed that.
>

>Don't worry dear - it is only an occasional thing. Jim & I will usually
>share one, and that's only when the kids aren't around (that should give you
>an idea of the frequency of our smoking habit <g>).
>
>Funny - I hate cigarettes with a passion, but there's just something about a
>nice, hand rolled cigar ....

I wish I was a psychologist...

Thinkum

Jun 8, 2001, 7:27:33 AM6/8/01
Traci York wrote:

> Thinkum wrote:
>> catherine wrote:
>>> Thinkum wrote

>>> You got a problem with that?<w>
>>
>> Other than a selfish preference that my friends not develop cancer, nope.
>> I just wouldn't have guessed that.
>
> Don't worry dear - it is only an occasional thing. Jim & I will usually
> share one, and that's only when the kids aren't around (that should give you
> an idea of the frequency of our smoking habit <g>).

LOL. Okay, I won't fret, then. ;-)

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

John Iwaniszek

Jun 8, 2001, 7:57:55 AM6/8/01
Traci York wrote:

> "Thinkum" <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote:
> > catherine wrote:
> > > Thinkum wrote

> > > You got a problem with that?<w>
>
> > Other than a selfish preference that my friends not develop cancer, nope.
>
> > I just wouldn't have guessed that.
>
> Don't worry dear - it is only an occasional thing. Jim & I will usually
> share one, and that's only when the kids aren't around (that should give you
> an idea of the frequency of our smoking habit <g>).
>
> Funny - I hate cigarettes with a passion, but there's just something about a
> nice, hand rolled cigar ....

I can only smoke a cigar in a high wind, the smell is so terrible. When
the nicotine kicks in I start to get jittery and flushed and my heart
rate increases to alarming frequency. The cigar itself looks like a
turd sticking out of the smoker's jaw. I can see how it would be an
attractive activity to the fairer sex (women).

Tom Francis

Jun 8, 2001, 8:21:54 AM6/8/01

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

Cretin..............

Nick

Jun 8, 2001, 8:21:38 AM6/8/01
John Iwaniszek wrote:
>Traci York wrote:

Yes, women vastly prefer the look of a chaw of terbaccy.

John Iwaniszek

Jun 8, 2001, 8:28:44 AM6/8/01

They think it's cute when you accidently spit on your car window
(forgetting that it is not rolled down). They also sigh with mock
exasperation when they find your rolled up newspaper spit-cups laying
around the house.

Nick

Jun 8, 2001, 8:32:32 AM6/8/01

If you spit in a coke can you can use it to train children not to pick
up other peoples drinks and drink them. I have seen it happen.

It is loading more messages.