What would you do if you were Dr. Woodard?

Skyking

Feb 1, 2002, 8:10:23 PM2/1/02
Would you lie to Julia and Barnabas to save your life? I would.

So what has Barnabas done that would make the powers that be destroy him?
Hey the guy is a vampire. What better reason to claim insanity. "Hey I was
in a coffin for over a hundred years, hell you would be crazy too if you
were cooped up that long". He has the prefect excuse for insanity. Also it
is a certainty that the medical community and the science community would
want to keep him alive for study purposes.

But of course a desparate person isnt thinking that way. He is probably
thinking like almost anyone in his position. But I dont know about Dr.
Woodard. Who the hell would believe him anyway? Not me if I was sheriff.

skyking

Joseph V. Borejko

Feb 2, 2002, 8:45:28 AM2/2/02
Theres a lot of ifs to this speculation:

if there was no actor strike and Robert Gerringer had continued to portray
Dr. Woodard; I believe he could have been convinced to help Julia with the
experiments to cure Barnabas. Robert Gerringer in my view did not have the
arrogant-aggressive detective personality that Peter Turgeon had in
portraying Dr Woodard.

If the scriptwriters were ready to have Barnabas cured at this point of the
show; there might not have been any need for Dr Lang to have appeared later
on unless the Dr Hoffman and Dr Woodard cure was wearing off and Dr Lang was
introduced to find the permanent cure.

"Skyking" <skyki...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Graeme

Feb 2, 2002, 9:38:42 AM2/2/02
>LEAVE TOWN!
>
>Knockknee

How about BUY A CROSS!

RiffRandell83

Feb 2, 2002, 9:38:47 AM2/2/02
> if there was no actor strike and Robert >Gerringer had continued to portray
>Dr. Woodard; I believe he could have >been convinced to help Julia with the
>experiments to cure Barnabas. Robert >Gerringer in my view did not have the
>arrogant-aggressive detective personality >that Peter Turgeon had in
>portraying Dr Woodard.

At the very least, I think Gerringer as Woodard would have been a bit less
judgmental towards Julia and the decision she made to cure the vampire. They
*were* friends, after all.

Riff Randell

Graeme

Feb 2, 2002, 9:38:15 AM2/2/02
>>Would you lie to Julia and Barnabas to save your life? I would.

My impression is that Woodard didn't think he could successfully snow Barnabas,
and didn't want to grovel for nothing. If he thought he had a chance of
success, maybe he would have tried. It's just too bad that Sarah got up on the
wrong side of the slab that night and wasn't there to help.

>>So what has Barnabas done that would make the powers that be destroy him?
Hey the guy is a vampire. What better reason to claim insanity. "Hey I was in
a coffin for over a hundred years, hell you would be crazy too if you were
cooped up that long". He has the prefect excuse for insanity.

Possibly, but that just means that the powers that be would lock him away.
Even if, in the BEST case scenario, he was cured and later released, there'd be
the awful embarrassment of the townsfolk knowing that a COLLINS had been
involved in something shady. That's a fate worse than death for this family.

>>Also it is a certainty that the medical community and the science community
would want to keep him alive for study purposes.

Yes, but they might not have had a say in the matter. Imagine if Sheriff
Crabtree had succeeded in offing Barnabas in 1995. Don't you just wonder how
he'd have written his report on the whole thing? And what the medical
community would have done when they found out? "Awwww, you killed him? You
IDIOT!"

>>But of course a desparate person isnt thinking that way. He is probably
thinking like almost anyone in his position. But I dont know about Dr.
Woodard. Who the hell would believe him anyway? Not me if I was sheriff.

skyking

He had Julia's diary. He knew the whole gig. Enough to un-hypnotize Maggie
and bring her memory back, I'm sure. There's also the fact that he can just
tell the Sheriff "Let me see Barnabas Collins in the daytime, and I'll drop the
whole matter." Worse yet, if the Sheriff didn't believe him, Woodard might get
a stake and hammer and take the matter into his own hands.

Graeme

Feb 2, 2002, 9:41:02 AM2/2/02
>>if there was no actor strike and Robert Gerringer had continued to portray
Dr. Woodard; I believe he could have been convinced to help Julia with the
experiments to cure Barnabas. Robert Gerringer in my view did not have the
arrogant-aggressive detective personality that Peter Turgeon had in portraying
Dr Woodard.

I think you're right that Gerringer seemed a more sympathetic character.
Though if he learned the full scope of Julia's treachery against him, you might
have seen even his bad side.

I doubt though that the re-casting actually changed the story. Probably if
Gerringer had stayed, the same thing would have happened, but it just wouldn't
have seemed as believable as it did with Turgeon.

VILLARPETERS

Feb 2, 2002, 6:06:30 PM2/2/02
>What would you do if you were Dr. Woodard?

>LEAVE TOWN!

Yeah...like yesterday!

CP

Skyking

Feb 2, 2002, 6:45:26 PM2/2/02
Do you think that they would have brought Robert back later as someone else
like they did with Thayer David endlessly?
That is if he stayed.

skyking
"Graeme" <graem...@aol.compost> wrote in message

Skyking

Feb 2, 2002, 6:47:27 PM2/2/02
Why was Woodard on strike and not the rest of the cast?

skyking
"Joseph V. Borejko" <jvbo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

David Brunt

Feb 2, 2002, 6:59:27 PM2/2/02
Skyking wrote in message ...

>Why was Woodard on strike and not the rest of the cast?

The whole cast should have been on strike, but most crossed the picket line
to go into work. They were fined for this breach of union rules.

David

jeanannd

Feb 2, 2002, 10:16:52 PM2/2/02
If I were Dr. Woodard I WOULD NOT let the monster/villain know I was on to
him first off. I'd contact OTHERS first....and even give a false
impression to the villain/monster that I believed something else or that
someone has some evidence that might lead somewhere else. THEN, I'd let
people like Burke, the Sheriff and others in on the REAL evidence and do a
search of the Old House in the DAY light.

But what Dr. Woodard did as one DS fan put it...was suicide.

^ ^
>"<
jeanannd

"VILLARPETERS" <villar...@aol.com> wrote in message

jeanannd

Feb 2, 2002, 10:17:58 PM2/2/02
Some of the rest of the cast did go on strike. That is why we lost that
wacky/crazy Grave yard keeper, and why they had a lack luster replacement
the last time he was featured.

^ ^
>"<
jeanannd

"Skyking" <skyki...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Graeme

Feb 2, 2002, 10:33:09 PM2/2/02
Skyking wrote:
>>Why was Woodard on strike and not the rest of the cast?

Because Dan Curtis, believing that the strike would otherwise kill the show,
offered to pay the fines of anyone who worked through the strike. Gerringer
and Daniel Keyes stayed loyal to their union and refused to cross the picket
line. The others didn't, and got fined for it. Joan Bennett's fine was $5400,
Alexandra Moltke's was $3900. All the others were fined as well, including
Turgeon.

Unknown

Feb 2, 2002, 11:39:10 PM2/2/02

Interesting. Those fines were big money back then. I wonder if they
were based on salary.

pansyfaye

Feb 3, 2002, 12:08:08 AM2/3/02

"Graeme" <graem...@aol.compost> wrote in message
Peter Turgeon was very angry at replacing a striking actor and then being
fined. I spoke to him on the phone about 15 years afterwards and he
expressed his anger very forcefully to me.

He replaced Gerringer at the point where Woodard discovers the truth about
Barnabas, and Woodard, being the fine man he is, is appalled and very angry
at Barnabas but especially at Julia, his long-time friend, for helping
Barnabas. The anger that Peter Turgeon felt at his situation came across so
perfectly in his characterization of the angry Woodard.

pansy

Skyking

Feb 3, 2002, 6:29:06 AM2/3/02
And Gerringer never worked again? Correct. See what loyalty gets you. He
may have been in other shows but certainly he may have continued on DS and
may have gotten supporting cast roles like Dennis Patrick and Dana Elcar for
their entire careers.

skyking

Skyking

Feb 3, 2002, 6:31:28 AM2/3/02
That's exactly what I would do. He did in fact do the suicidial bit like
the guy that tried to expose Laura. Same thing.

skyking
"jeanannd" <jean...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Skyking

Feb 3, 2002, 6:33:32 AM2/3/02
Were the striking actors blacklisted? Did Robert Gerringer do lots of
commericals because he certainly didnt do a lot of TV after DS.

skyking

Graeme

Feb 3, 2002, 10:00:41 AM2/3/02
Jeannand wrote:
>>If I were Dr. Woodard I WOULD NOT let the monster/villain know I was on to
him first off. I'd contact OTHERS first....and even give a false impression
to the villain/monster that I believed something else or that someone has some
evidence that might lead somewhere else. THEN, I'd let people like Burke,
the Sheriff and others in on the REAL evidence and do a search of the Old House
in the DAY light.

Yes, to most of what you said. But I don't think he knew until he actually
read Julia's diary, that an actual vampire was involved. So he wouldn't have
known to do any daylight raids.

Graeme

Feb 3, 2002, 10:08:55 AM2/3/02
Ghost Writer wrote:
>>Interesting. Those fines were big money back then. I wonder if they were
based on salary.

It doesn't look like it. This story is told on page 243 of the Millennium
Edition Dark Shadows Almanac. Here are all the fines they list:

$5400 Joan Bennett
$3900 Peter Turgeon
$3500 Alexandra Moltke
$3500 David Ford
$3500 Jonathan Frid
$3500 Grayson Hall
$3500 Louis Edmonds
Nancy Barrett: Fine withdrawn (I guess they liked her feet)
Anthony George: Case adjourned, but on 11/17/67, $3500.

It looks like $3500 was the standard fine. They hit Joan harder because she
was such a big name, and Turgeon a little harder because he was *directly*
taking the place of one of their loyal union boys. That's the way it seems to
me.

Graeme

Feb 3, 2002, 10:12:37 AM2/3/02
Pansy wrote:
>>Peter Turgeon was very angry at replacing a striking actor and then being
fined. I spoke to him on the phone about 15 years afterwards and he expressed
his anger very forcefully to me.

Interesting. Did he realize it was going to happen when he took the role, and
he was just mad on principle? Or was he surprised at being fined?

And didn't Dan Curtis pay his fine for him like all the others?

And what about Peter Murphy? There's no mention in the DS Almanac of his being
fined, but surely he must have been.

Graeme

Feb 3, 2002, 10:17:22 AM2/3/02
>>Were the striking actors blacklisted?
Not that I've ever heard, but Pansy would know that a lot better than me, I'm
sure.

>>Did Robert Gerringer do lots of commericals because he certainly didnt do a
lot of TV after DS.

Again, I don't know. I don't usually follow offscreen activity nearly as well
as onscreen stuff. The imdb doesn't show a whole lot for him (although he WAS
in The Exorcist!), but there's a lot it doesn't show. The last "new" imdb
entry for Frid is Seizure, 28 years ago, but of course he's been extremely
active since then in the kinds of work that doesn't show up in imdb.

pansyfaye

Feb 3, 2002, 2:16:46 PM2/3/02

"Graeme" <graem...@aol.compost> wrote in message
Graeme -
I desperately need an email address where you can get a message. Please
help!

pansy

Collins1796

Feb 3, 2002, 3:57:30 PM2/3/02
Robert Gerringer appeared in the last years of The Edge of Night (at the same
time Joel Crothers was on) he was either married or in love with Geraldine
Whitney Saxon.

Joey

Guy Haines, II

Feb 4, 2002, 1:26:28 AM2/4/02

"pansyfaye" <pans...@darkshadowsfestival.com> wrote in > >

> Peter Turgeon was very angry at replacing a striking actor and then being
> fined. I spoke to him on the phone about 15 years afterwards and he
> expressed his anger very forcefully to me.

When you told him you were in touch with DS fans did he send greetings to
his distant cousin, Ray Salisbury? :)

j/k!

Graeme

Feb 4, 2002, 9:16:03 AM2/4/02
Guy wrote:
>When you told him you were in touch with DS fans did he send greetings to
>his distant cousin, Ray Salisbury? :)
>
>j/k!

That would be like Patrick Henry inviting you over for dinner and saying "Let
me introduce you to the mad wife I keep locked in the basement." (which he
REALLY had, by the way).

Dumorte

Feb 5, 2002, 12:26:55 AM2/5/02

Thanks for the cool bit of historic trivia that I didn't know!

Sidney
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
- Ben Williams
""People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life." - Faith
Resnick