Hold onto your hats, this is big...

Michelle Klein-Hass

Jul 21, 2004, 3:34:54 AM7/21/04
Hi folks...I got word from Glenn Eichler about what's been going on with
Daria DVD plans.

(deep breath)
It seems like all the fan action has finally served to wake the sleeping
MTV Home Video giant. Right now, they are currently looking at all their
options to bring some sort of release of more Daria to DVD.

Here's how Glenn Eichler put it, in his own words:

> So there's no distributor and no release date but what there is is very
> strong interest from MTV in putting Daria out, and steady activity toward
> making that a reality.  Does that make sense?

Furthermore, he added:

> Yes, go ahead and mention that.  It's the fans who have made this
> possible and we appreciate it.

Unfortunately that is all the detail he could give me for public
consumption. MTV Home Video and Paramount Home Video may do this in-house,
or they might be doing this with a partnership with another distributor. I
suggested they might look into companies that do Anime distribution like
ADV Films or Geneon because of their extensive experience in getting
animation on DVD right. They know all the pitfalls...compression
requirements, how to get the look right, how not to step all over drawn
lines, etc. etc. Also there is a lot of overlap between Daria fans and
Anime fans so an Anime distro might be perhaps the best choice as far as
bringing the material to people who want it.

It's time to celebrate, all of you who have been keeping the pressure on
the Viacom octopus to put out Daria on DVD and to do it right. Keep going,
keep signing petitions, keep sending out letters, keep the faith. It won't
come out in 2004, that I can say for sure. Even if they did deals tomorrow
and got the commitments the production of a TV series on DVD is a time
consuming process. But we will see it in our lifetimes. We might even see
it fairly soon.

W00t! We did it!
Michelle
--
Ms. Geek (Michelle Klein-Hass)...terrorizing Usenet since 1992!
Charter member, SPCM, (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Menchi)

Chika

Jul 21, 2004, 4:54:13 AM7/21/04
In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>,
Michelle Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> W00t! We did it!

Great news, but I'll not be satisfied until I have Daria in my sweaty
little hands...

Oh, right! The DVDs too! :)

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Old age is better than the alternative.

OnsenMark

Jul 21, 2004, 6:23:23 PM7/21/04
In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>, "Michelle Klein-Hass"
<msge...@yahoo.com> writes:

*head'splody*

w00t, indeed. ^__________________________________^

Mark. 8)
- proud member of the WGPS and the SDA!
-UtenaCode(1.1) U:6 F:Wa+++Ju++ D:Ak->Sh- X:*** a:39++ M:f ZUM(w/Banyuu
Inryoku)
"BE HAPPY FOR ME AND MY SHOE. O_O" - Verthandi

james_anatidae

Jul 28, 2004, 10:15:41 AM7/28/04
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>,
> Michelle Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > W00t! We did it!
>
> Great news, but I'll not be satisfied until I have Daria in my sweaty
> little hands...
>
> Oh, right! The DVDs too! :)

;)

This sounds good, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm still going to
be sending MTV a letter supporting the release.

--
"I'll find Fry's coffin, get his corpse and keep it under my mattress to
remind me that he's really dead. That'll prove I'm not insane!"

Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/

ipswichfan

Aug 5, 2004, 7:27:53 PM8/5/04

> In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>,
>
> Great news, but I'll not be satisfied until I have Daria in my sweaty
> little hands...
>
> Oh, right! The DVDs too! :)

What he said!!!

Invid Fan

Aug 6, 2004, 12:12:16 AM8/6/04
In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>, Michelle
Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi folks...I got word from Glenn Eichler about what's been going on with
> Daria DVD plans.
>
> (deep breath)
> It seems like all the fan action has finally served to wake the sleeping
> MTV Home Video giant. Right now, they are currently looking at all their
> options to bring some sort of release of more Daria to DVD.

I forwarded this to TVShowsondvd.com, just to spread the word. Hope you
don't mind :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Michelle Klein-Hass

Aug 6, 2004, 12:06:16 PM8/6/04
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:12:16 -0400, Invid Fan opined:

> In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>, Michelle
> Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks...I got word from Glenn Eichler about what's been going on with
>> Daria DVD plans.
>>
>> (deep breath)
>> It seems like all the fan action has finally served to wake the sleeping
>> MTV Home Video giant. Right now, they are currently looking at all their
>> options to bring some sort of release of more Daria to DVD.
>>
> I forwarded this to TVShowsondvd.com, just to spread the word. Hope you
> don't mind :)

No problem, it's supposed to get wide play.

Take care,

Invid Fan

Aug 6, 2004, 2:27:52 PM8/6/04
In article <pan.2004.08.06....@yahoo.com>, Michelle
Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:12:16 -0400, Invid Fan opined:
>
> > In article <pan.2004.07.21....@yahoo.com>, Michelle
> > Klein-Hass <msge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks...I got word from Glenn Eichler about what's been going on with
> >> Daria DVD plans.
> >>
> >> (deep breath)
> >> It seems like all the fan action has finally served to wake the sleeping
> >> MTV Home Video giant. Right now, they are currently looking at all their
> >> options to bring some sort of release of more Daria to DVD.
> >>
> > I forwarded this to TVShowsondvd.com, just to spread the word. Hope you
> > don't mind :)
>
> No problem, it's supposed to get wide play.

Got a reply, and the guy at the site had just talked to a high up rep
at MTV a week ago and nothing about this was mentioned. He's looking
into it, though, and as usual won't post anything until he has a first
person source.

(it's a damned good site, btw, if anybody's never been there. Lots of
good tv shows out, and on the way...)