AOQ Angel Review 1-3: "Into The Dark"

Arbitrar Of Quality

Apr 12, 2006, 1:51:45 AM4/12/06
A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later _Buffy_ and _Angel_
episodes in these review threads

ANGEL
Season One, Episode 3: "Into The Dark"
(or "Angelmobile away!")
Writer: Douglas Petrie
Director: Bruce Seth Green

On to the dark half of our Light/Dark dichotomy. This episode is a
little darker overall than its predecessor, so naturally it's the one
that ends on an up-note. It's one of those balance things.

Angel's group gets its first paying or potentially paying client, in
a story that doesn't really link with the main plot (I thought Spike
was using her to lure Angel into a trap at one point, but, well, no).
So Angel gets to be a pillar of support to yet another blonde chick
with relationship issues (and the audience gets yet another abusive
situation to cap off the two-parter). What's interesting here is
that the fiancée's reaction to Rachel was a sarcastic "I! Am
acting!" Whereas I was interested enough in the actual dialogue,
particularly the bit in her house, that such concerns didn't
register. A rare moment of analytical weakness from the arbiter.

That's all setup anyway. I'm not just talking about the discussion
about faith setting the tone for later scenes and so on. More
entertaining is the fact that as used in the teaser, Rachel's plight
sets up Spike supplying dialogue for the pantomime below. Absolutely
the funniest thing I've seen so far in the Buffyverse this season.
You know that feeling where everything someone says makes you react
mainly with a shocked kind of "he said *what?*" and you're
getting increasingly amused in a quiet way while staying quiet so as to
avoid missing any of the dialogue, and then you finally burst out
laughing at the end of the scene? Well, that was where Mrs. Quality
and I both were. Some rare bits are just good enough to quote in their
entirety, so...
"How can I thank you, you mysterious black-clad hunk of a night
thing?
No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me! You
see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged
me. Now I'm just a big fluffy puppy with bad teeth... No, not the
hair! Never the hair!
But there must be some way I can show my appreciation?
No! Helping those in need's my job... and working up a load of
sexual tension and prancing away with a magnificent poof is truly
thanks enough!
I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"

Oz also swings by to be the total embodiment of all things Sunnydale
and to be a bit of stunt casting to let our show leech off the
popularity of its lead-in. I'm fine with that. He gets another of
the episode's best lines ("no, we're usually laconic") and
drops off the Ring Of Null Sunlight. To the surprise of no one, Angel
doesn't want to wear it, and he makes the rather dubious choice of
hiding it rather than outright destruction. This of course sets the
stage for our plot.

Quote that I liked without any further comment: "He'd celebrate the
opening of a mailbox with a drink at the pub."

The first meeting between Spike and the old Sire here gives us one of
those great one-line summaries of a character: "[I had] a good plan.
Smart. Carefully laid out. But I got bored." As I've been
noticing lately (it can probably be traced back to BTVS S3), Angel was
never a wimp or anything, but he's really a badass now. When he hits
someone, they feel it.

One of the problems with ITD is that in places, it just moves slowly,
plain and simple. If forced to compare, I'd call it the weaker half
of the Light/Dark duology. Cordelia and Doyle spend way too much time
hanging around with nothing happening. Avoiding the debt-collectors
was funny enough, but that's like two jokes in five minutes of
screentime. The scenes with Shan Yu and Angel definitely start to drag
eventually; it's not that any particular moment is too bad, it's
just that time passes without occurrences. Angel sure seems to get
chained up and tortured a lot, huh? One nice moment of misdirection is
the scene in which Angel gets his feet on a stake. We start to get
that joy of anticipation that we'll soon be done with this part of
the show, he pretends to break down sobbing as we build to the Money
Moment, the scene keeps going and going, Angel finally makes his move,
and Spike steps in. Booooo. Mean show.

The van-assisted plan to free Angel isn't too horrible, especially
given that Cordelia seems to have been its prime architect. No idea
how they undid the chains so quickly, though. I want to say that
giving the villains the key to immortality wasn't worth the trade,
except it worked out well for the good guys, so I can't knock it.
Marcus heads of to, um, frolic with the kids, and Angel pushes the
limit of how much sunlight one can tolerate. I dug the tackle into the
water to deal with the combustibility thing.

The Los Angeles skyscape is the setting for our hero's first sunset
in awhile, and last one. This kind of scene calls on the actor to give
a long-winded speech and make it sound genuine and natural. I like how
the motivation is not "it's too dangerous to let fall into the
wrong hands," and Doyle mocks the idea of pure self-flaggelation.
It's more about Angel being comfortable with his self-appointed role
in life, despite the fact that everyone's been trying to suggest that
he has issues with it. Overall, the moment works pretty well, but not
perfectly. Much like ATS itself thus far.

This Is Really Stupid But I Laughed Anyway moment(s):
- "Let me just take a stab at it. You'd be Oz?"
- "Still the brave little Slayer, or is she moping around in the dark
like... nobody around here?"
- "But I doubt that the main characters [of _Angela's Ashes_] are
Betty and Barney Rubble, as you so vehemently insisted last night.
Also, I don't think Oz appreciated being called 'my little
Bam-Bam' all night."
- Re: having faith, "You're not from that freaky church on Sunset,
are you?"
- The huge swervy U-turn

Between THLOD and ITD, we get kind of a sense of what the Gem Of Null
Sunlight can and can't do, to the point where Marcus's death
isn't a cheat. Given how easily it can be removed from people's
fingers, it's really not such an ultimate weapon of invincibility in
the first place; it's much more useful for a vampire who wants to
enjoy or invade the daylight hours. Wonder who decided to set it into
a ring in the first place?

Cordelia references comic books way more often than any
cheerleader/actor type I've ever known. She's got layers. Or
Mutant Enemy writers. Take your pick.

I'd kinda forgotten about Angel's whole quest for his reason he was
brought back, and I think it's because I kinda thought he decided it
didn't matter. Oh yeah, is that whole First thing still haunting him
so incessantly for the last year that it hasn't even merited a
mention?

And on a final random note: Bruce Seth Green got to direct for Seth
Green again after all, when you'd think being done with BTVS would
close the door on that. I have no idea why I'm interested in this
fact.

So...

One-sentence summary: Pretty good overall, both on its own and as a
continuation.

AOQ rating: Good

[Season One so far:
1) "City Of" - Good
2) "Lonely Hearts" - Weak
3) "Into The Dark" - Good]

Don Sample

Apr 12, 2006, 2:19:15 AM4/12/06
In article <1144821105.4...@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Arbitrar Of Quality" <tsm...@wildmail.com> wrote:

> A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later Buffy and Angel

> episodes in these review threads
>

> ANGEL
> Season One, Episode 3: "Into The Dark"
> (or "Angelmobile away!")
> Writer: Douglas Petrie
> Director: Bruce Seth Green
>

> "Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
> hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"

Spike's a fine one to talk about nancy-boy hair gel.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>

MBangel10 (Melissa)

Apr 12, 2006, 2:31:12 AM4/12/06

One of my absolute favorite Spike moments ever. This monologue never
gets old. It always gets a ton of votes for 'favorite Spike scene'.

kl...@ucsc.edu

Apr 12, 2006, 3:02:50 AM4/12/06

Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:
> "...But there must be some way I can show my appreciation?

> No! Helping those in need's my job... and working up a load of
> sexual tension and prancing away with a magnificent poof is truly
> thanks enough!..."

Ah, I think you mistyped it -- it's "prancing away *like* a magnificent
poof." That was a classic bit, as only Spike could deliver.

You say Harmony is suitably annoying without really grating on the
audience. I'm gonna have to jump bodily into the Disagree camp on that
one... God how I wanted someone to stake her. Immediately.

--Kevin

Kevin

Apr 12, 2006, 3:10:34 AM4/12/06

<smacks self in head> ... Of course I meant to post the above Harmony
comment in the review of "The Harsh Light of Day"...

Duh.

<re-smack>

--Kevin

eli...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2006, 4:49:42 AM4/12/06
>Angel sure seems to get chained up and tortured a lot, huh?
Bwahahahahaha! (It's a Joss thing - remember Mal and Wash being
tortured? Joss likes to make his heroes suffer.)

Apteryx

Apr 12, 2006, 5:58:09 AM4/12/06
"Arbitrar Of Quality" <tsm...@wildmail.com> wrote in message

>A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later _Buffy_ and _Angel_
>episodes in these review threads

>That's all setup anyway. I'm not just talking about the discussion
>about faith setting the tone for later scenes and so on. More
>entertaining is the fact that as used in the teaser, Rachel's plight
>sets up Spike supplying dialogue for the pantomime below. Absolutely
>the funniest thing I've seen so far in the Buffyverse this season.

Pretty funny, and probably the highlight of the episode for me.

>Oz also swings by to be the total embodiment of all things Sunnydale
>and to be a bit of stunt casting to let our show leech off the
>popularity of its lead-in. I'm fine with that. He gets another of
>the episode's best lines ("no, we're usually laconic") and
>drops off the Ring Of Null Sunlight.

Vg vf xvaq bs bqq gung jura Pbeqryvn vf fb xrra ba arjf sebz Fhaalqnyr, Bm
qbrfa'g guvax gb zragvba gung Unezbal vf n inzcver. Znlor gung'yy unir
uhzbhebhf enzvsvpngvbaf yngre :)

>The van-assisted plan to free Angel isn't too horrible, especially
>given that Cordelia seems to have been its prime architect. No idea
>how they undid the chains so quickly, though. I want to say that
>giving the villains the key to immortality wasn't worth the trade,

At least it worked out better than the similar choice made in Choices. No
dead kids.

>So...

>One-sentence summary: Pretty good overall, both on its own and as a
>continuation.

>AOQ rating: Good

I'd only go as far as Decent. It's the dark half of the double, and well, it
lacks the lightness of THLOD. For me, the 63rd best AtS episode, 12th best
in Season 1

--
Apteryx

EGK

Apr 12, 2006, 10:49:23 AM4/12/06
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:31:12 -0400, "MBangel10 (Melissa)"
<mban...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:

>> "How can I thank you, you mysterious black-clad hunk of a night
>> thing?
>> No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me! You
>> see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged
>> me. Now I'm just a big fluffy puppy with bad teeth... No, not the
>> hair! Never the hair!
>> But there must be some way I can show my appreciation?
>> No! Helping those in need's my job... and working up a load of
>> sexual tension and prancing away with a magnificent poof is truly
>> thanks enough!
>> I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
>> Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
>> hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"
>
>One of my absolute favorite Spike moments ever. This monologue never
>gets old. It always gets a ton of votes for 'favorite Spike scene'.

I used to post this all the time when talking about how good Spike was.

Gura gurl unq gb tb naq ehva uvf punenpgre ba OGIF jura ur ernyyl orybatrq
ba Natry nyy gur gvzr.

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
(Calvin and Hobbes)

MBangel10 (Melissa)

Apr 12, 2006, 11:03:39 AM4/12/06
EGK wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:31:12 -0400, "MBangel10 (Melissa)"
> <mban...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:
>
>>> "How can I thank you, you mysterious black-clad hunk of a night
>>> thing?
>>> No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me! You
>>> see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged
>>> me. Now I'm just a big fluffy puppy with bad teeth... No, not the
>>> hair! Never the hair!
>>> But there must be some way I can show my appreciation?
>>> No! Helping those in need's my job... and working up a load of
>>> sexual tension and prancing away with a magnificent poof is truly
>>> thanks enough!
>>> I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
>>> Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
>>> hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"
>> One of my absolute favorite Spike moments ever. This monologue never
>> gets old. It always gets a ton of votes for 'favorite Spike scene'.
>
> I used to post this all the time when talking about how good Spike was.
>
> Gura gurl unq gb tb naq ehva uvf punenpgre ba OGIF jura ur ernyyl orybatrq
> ba Natry nyy gur gvzr.

V haqrefgnaq lbhe cbvag. Ubjrire, V qba'g xabj vs V jbhyq unir pnerq nf
zhpu nobhg gur punenpgre unq ur orra n erthyne ba Natry. Sbe zr, ur gbbx
bire gur yrnqvat zna ebyr ba Ogif naq ybbxvat onpx, V pna'g vzntvar nal
bgure punenpgre va gung cynpr. Nyfb, jr arire jbhyq unir tbggra fhpu n
terng erqrzcgvba fgbelyvar unq ur orra ba Ngf (ng yrnfg, VZUB).

EGK

Apr 12, 2006, 11:33:38 AM4/12/06
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:03:39 -0400, "MBangel10 (Melissa)"
<mban...@comcast.net> wrote:

V whfg gubhtug Fcvxr'f vagrenpgvba jvgu Natry jnf nyjnlf orggre guna gung
jvgu Ohssl. Ur jnf tbbq jura svefg nccrnevat va frnfba 4 OGIF ohg nsgre
gurl pnfgengrq uvz jvgu gur puvc, V arire yvxrq uvf punenpgre ntnva hagvyy
frnfba 5 bs Natry. Pnfgengrq, fgnyxreobl, Natry-yvgr. Gung'f ubj V fnj uvz
va frnfba'f 4-7 bs OGIF. Gurer jrer oevrs tyvzzref bs jung uvf punenpgre
jnf pncnoyr bs ohg hagvy ur ynaqrq ba Natry sbe gur svany lrne, V arire sryg
ur orybatrq nf n erthyne.

Naljnl, V fnvq zl cvrpr. V qba'g jnag gb erunfu nyy guvf va gurfr Neovgre
guernqf.

Like you mentioned above, It gets my vote for favorite Spike scene. :)

William George Ferguson

Apr 12, 2006, 12:28:19 PM4/12/06
On 11 Apr 2006 22:51:45 -0700, "Arbitrar Of Quality" <tsm...@wildmail.com>
wrote:

>A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later _Buffy_ and _Angel_
>episodes in these review threads
>

>ANGEL
>Season One, Episode 3: "Into The Dark"
>(or "Angelmobile away!")
>Writer: Douglas Petrie
>Director: Bruce Seth Green
>
>On to the dark half of our Light/Dark dichotomy. This episode is a
>little darker overall than its predecessor, so naturally it's the one
>that ends on an up-note. It's one of those balance things.
>
>Angel's group gets its first paying or potentially paying client, in
>a story that doesn't really link with the main plot (I thought Spike
>was using her to lure Angel into a trap at one point, but, well, no).
>So Angel gets to be a pillar of support to yet another blonde chick
>with relationship issues (and the audience gets yet another abusive
>situation to cap off the two-parter). What's interesting here is
>that the fiancée's reaction to Rachel was a sarcastic "I! Am
>acting!" Whereas I was interested enough in the actual dialogue,
>particularly the bit in her house, that such concerns didn't
>register. A rare moment of analytical weakness from the arbiter.

The most interesting thing about Rachel is that she's the first one of the
blonde clients that he actually manages to save (he was 0 for 2 in the
first two eps). Letting her have some shot of living happily ever after is
a massively better outcome than avenging her death. At this point when I
was watching, I was expecting Rachel to be killed later in the episode
(Angel did not start out ept as Helper of the Hopeless, and in retrospect I
appreciate that).

Nancy-boy hair gel and Angelmobile have passed into the (Buffyverse)
language and leaked out into the wider world.

And Angel being what he is, don't you find his choice of car model
interesting?

And I'll borrow Don's idea of reposting his original from back in 99.

From: William George Ferguson <f...@primenet.com>
Subject: In the Dark - Random Comments
Date: 1999/10/20
Newsgroups: alt.tv.angel

[reposted to alt.tv.angel since I screwed up the newsgroup line first
time areoung]

Forget having him be a regular on Buffy, they need to make Spike the
official announcer on Angel, doing MSTie voice-overs for every ep.

I'm almost surprised that Oz didn't make a comment about Doyle (if
Angel could smell that he wasn't completely human in the premiere, I'd
assume that Oz could do the same).

I'm also surprised that Cordy didn't mention Devon.

The reasons for why Angel was making the decision he did was set up
fairly heavily in the scenes with the girl, but was still solid enough
for me to buy it.

Oh, the sparkling dialogue between Oz and Angel.
"Are these two always like this?"
"Naw, we're usually laconic."

And Rachel is still alive at the end of the ep. Angel is now 1 for 3
in saving the victim that prompts his involvement.

--
HERBERT
1996 - 1997

chr...@removethistoreply.gwu.edu

Apr 12, 2006, 1:13:53 PM4/12/06
In alt.tv.angel Arbitrar Of Quality <tsm...@wildmail.com> wrote:
> A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later _Buffy_ and _Angel_
> episodes in these review threads
>

> ANGEL
> Season One, Episode 3: "Into The Dark"
> (or "Angelmobile away!")
> Writer: Douglas Petrie
> Director: Bruce Seth Green

> That's all setup anyway. I'm not just talking about the discussion

> about faith setting the tone for later scenes and so on. More
> entertaining is the fact that as used in the teaser, Rachel's plight
> sets up Spike supplying dialogue for the pantomime below. Absolutely
> the funniest thing I've seen so far in the Buffyverse this season.

Definitely a classic. Spike's mockery of the standard progression
of a dark hero-rescuee encounter reminds me just a bit of the way The
Zeppo played with the standard elements of a Buffy-saves-the-world story.

> Oz also swings by to be the total embodiment of all things Sunnydale
> and to be a bit of stunt casting to let our show leech off the
> popularity of its lead-in. I'm fine with that.

I always enjoy cross-series connections and references, and of course this
is the biggest one so far. I also enjoy seeing characters interacting who
aren't usually alone together. (Though we've already seen Cordy and Oz
do this in Dead Man's Party and Lover's Walk.)

> One of the problems with ITD is that in places, it just moves slowly,
> plain and simple. If forced to compare, I'd call it the weaker half
> of the Light/Dark duology. Cordelia and Doyle spend way too much time
> hanging around with nothing happening. Avoiding the debt-collectors
> was funny enough, but that's like two jokes in five minutes of
> screentime.

Eh, I found a lot more of their scene amusing. "It smells like bong water
in here."

> The van-assisted plan to free Angel isn't too horrible, especially
> given that Cordelia seems to have been its prime architect. No idea
> how they undid the chains so quickly, though. I want to say that
> giving the villains the key to immortality wasn't worth the trade,
> except it worked out well for the good guys, so I can't knock it.

I guess they figured that Angel had a better chance of defeating Spike
with the ring, than the Angelless three of them had of defeating Spike
without the ring. My problem is, why didn't they just make a quick
look-alike ring instead of using the real thing?

> The Los Angeles skyscape is the setting for our hero's first sunset
> in awhile, and last one. This kind of scene calls on the actor to give
> a long-winded speech and make it sound genuine and natural. I like how
> the motivation is not "it's too dangerous to let fall into the
> wrong hands," and Doyle mocks the idea of pure self-flaggelation.
> It's more about Angel being comfortable with his self-appointed role
> in life, despite the fact that everyone's been trying to suggest that
> he has issues with it.

I wouldn't say Angel is exactly comfortable with his role, more like
clear-eyed and realistic about it, and about himself. He thinks he was
brought back for a reason, and if he doesn't resist temptation here, he
might eventually forget that reason. That's why he was so disturbed when
Oz first gave him the ring. He wasn't afraid of the power or the danger
some other vamp might get it; he was afraid of the temptation.

I liked how quiet, un-speech-like, and even light-hearted this scene was,
with lines like "I had a nice day ... you know, except for the bulk of it"
and "One more hot poker and I was giving him the ring, your mom,
everything. How is your mom?" Heavy drama would have been way out of
place since Angel had already made his decision.

--Chris

chrisg [at] gwu.edu On the Internet, nobody knows I'm a dog.

Don Sample

Apr 12, 2006, 3:05:59 PM4/12/06
In article <ll4q32p5e1m1ee0ss...@4ax.com>,
EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:31:12 -0400, "MBangel10 (Melissa)"
> <mban...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:
>
> >> "How can I thank you, you mysterious black-clad hunk of a night
> >> thing?
> >> No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me! You
> >> see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged
> >> me. Now I'm just a big fluffy puppy with bad teeth... No, not the
> >> hair! Never the hair!
> >> But there must be some way I can show my appreciation?
> >> No! Helping those in need's my job... and working up a load of
> >> sexual tension and prancing away with a magnificent poof is truly
> >> thanks enough!
> >> I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
> >> Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
> >> hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"
> >
> >One of my absolute favorite Spike moments ever. This monologue never
> >gets old. It always gets a ton of votes for 'favorite Spike scene'.
>
> I used to post this all the time when talking about how good Spike was.
>
> Gura gurl unq gb tb naq ehva uvf punenpgre ba OGIF jura ur ernyyl orybatrq
> ba Natry nyy gur gvzr.

Vg qbrfa'g znggre juvpu frevrf gurl chg uvz ba, gurl unq gb ehva gur
punenpgre gb qb vg.

EGK

Apr 12, 2006, 3:21:02 PM4/12/06

V qba'g guvax gung'f arprffnevyl gehr. V whfg guvax ur svg orggre nf n sbvy
sbe Natry engure guna n sbvy/fvpx ybir vagrerfg sbe Ohssl. Ur pbhyq unir
orra na nagntbavfg gb Natry yvxr ur jnf va guvf rcvfbqr naq gura (whfg bss
gur gbc bs zl urnq) unq J&U qb fbzrguvat gung raqrq hc onpxsvevat naq tvivat
Fcvxr n fbhy. Raqvat jvgu gur fnzr be fvzvyne eryngvbafuvc gurl unq va
frnfba 5.

Bs pbhefr vs lbh qvfyvxrq Fcvxr va frnfba 5 bs Natry gung jbhyqa'g unir
jbexrq nal orggre. :) V gubhtug vg jnf n infg vzcebirzrag bire uvf
punenpgre va gur ynfg 3 frnfbaf bs OGIF.

One Bit Shy

Apr 12, 2006, 9:41:14 PM4/12/06
"Arbitrar Of Quality" <tsm...@wildmail.com> wrote in message

> Angel's group gets its first paying or potentially paying client, in
> a story that doesn't really link with the main plot (I thought Spike
> was using her to lure Angel into a trap at one point, but, well, no).
> So Angel gets to be a pillar of support to yet another blonde chick
> with relationship issues (and the audience gets yet another abusive
> situation to cap off the two-parter). What's interesting here is
> that the fiancée's reaction to Rachel was a sarcastic "I! Am
> acting!" Whereas I was interested enough in the actual dialogue,
> particularly the bit in her house, that such concerns didn't
> register. A rare moment of analytical weakness from the arbiter.

I can't get over how it's yet another blonde. (And please note that the
girl Angel saves from Spike is also a blonde.) I was joking a bit when I
first mentioned it, but this is getting ridiculous. Maybe they're all
really brunettes and we're seeing what Angel imagines them to look like.
(Sort of like drunk Angel in the first scene of City Of saying the bald guy
reminds him of Buffy.)

Anyway, he brought a little faith (in herself) to Rachel, which I suppose is
the thematic connection. Angel takes the hard road in the end himself,
relying on himself instead of an outside crutch.

Otherwise Rachel is the least interesting girl in trouble so far.

<snip>

> Say no more! Evil's afoot, and I'm almost out of that nancy-boy
> hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile, away!"

Yeah. Very funny scene. The Spike role is excellent here. Better, I
think, than THLOD that preceded it. Although the former is helped a lot by
the interplay with Harmony. I don't think the others carry their side of
the conversation as well in this episode.

"Cordelia. You look smashing. Did you lose weight?" Said as Spike's lying
on the ground bruised from an Angel blow. Always the attitude. I had to
laugh.

Spike: Why do you keep playing that bleeding Brahms?
Marcus: Actually it's Mozart. Symphony 41. I find it very effective.
Spike: Yeah? Personally I prefer his older funnier symphonies myself.

(Which I relate to. That's Mozart at his most annoying IMO.)

> Oz also swings by to be the total embodiment of all things Sunnydale
> and to be a bit of stunt casting to let our show leech off the
> popularity of its lead-in. I'm fine with that. He gets another of
> the episode's best lines ("no, we're usually laconic")

Great line. But that's about it. Oz seems a very awkward fit to me in this
show.

I'm curious about his repeated comments about how pale Angel is near the
end - since Angel doesn't really look that pale to me - especially no more
so than Oz. Is it some kind of inside joke because Angel should look pale
but doesn't?

> One of the problems with ITD is that in places, it just moves slowly,
> plain and simple. If forced to compare, I'd call it the weaker half
> of the Light/Dark duology. Cordelia and Doyle spend way too much time
> hanging around with nothing happening. Avoiding the debt-collectors
> was funny enough, but that's like two jokes in five minutes of
> screentime. The scenes with Shan Yu and Angel definitely start to drag
> eventually; it's not that any particular moment is too bad, it's
> just that time passes without occurrences. Angel sure seems to get
> chained up and tortured a lot, huh? One nice moment of misdirection is
> the scene in which Angel gets his feet on a stake. We start to get
> that joy of anticipation that we'll soon be done with this part of
> the show, he pretends to break down sobbing as we build to the Money
> Moment, the scene keeps going and going, Angel finally makes his move,
> and Spike steps in. Booooo. Mean show.

Shan Yu?

A number of these elements work very well for me. I like most of the
torture scenes myself. I think the Marcus character is done very nicely.
And the Mozart. And the repeated question, "What do you want?" And
shooting the sunlight holes. Though I could have done without Marcus having
a thing about kids. Seems like the cheap path to sinister.

Cordelia and Doyle have their moments - I liked the invoice bit. And the
bong water. And the arm in a box. But not nearly as much fun Cordy as the
first two episodes. I'm also still struggling with Doyle - not really
caring about him yet.

There are a number of very well photagraphed scenes - indeed I'm coming to
think Angel is substantially better filmed than Buffy. And a periodically
inventive score keeps the music on the plus side.

Still, there's something a bit awkward about the whole. I don't think the
Cordy/Doyle/Oz side of the story fits comfortably with the
Angel/Spike/Marcus side.

> The van-assisted plan to free Angel isn't too horrible, especially
> given that Cordelia seems to have been its prime architect. No idea
> how they undid the chains so quickly, though. I want to say that
> giving the villains the key to immortality wasn't worth the trade,
> except it worked out well for the good guys, so I can't knock it.
> Marcus heads of to, um, frolic with the kids, and Angel pushes the
> limit of how much sunlight one can tolerate. I dug the tackle into the
> water to deal with the combustibility thing.

Nice shot of Marcus entering the sunlight.

The rescue scene confused me. Why did Spike go sprawling? I watched it a
few times and can't tell. Maybe Marcus shoved him aside to get the ring.
Whatever it was, the overall staging didn't work well for me.

> The Los Angeles skyscape is the setting for our hero's first sunset
> in awhile, and last one.

Some more beautiful camera work.

> This kind of scene calls on the actor to give
> a long-winded speech and make it sound genuine and natural. I like how
> the motivation is not "it's too dangerous to let fall into the
> wrong hands," and Doyle mocks the idea of pure self-flaggelation.
> It's more about Angel being comfortable with his self-appointed role
> in life, despite the fact that everyone's been trying to suggest that
> he has issues with it. Overall, the moment works pretty well, but not
> perfectly. Much like ATS itself thus far.

I think Angel is excellent in it. Doyle not so much so.

> Between THLOD and ITD, we get kind of a sense of what the Gem Of Null
> Sunlight can and can't do, to the point where Marcus's death
> isn't a cheat. Given how easily it can be removed from people's
> fingers, it's really not such an ultimate weapon of invincibility in
> the first place; it's much more useful for a vampire who wants to
> enjoy or invade the daylight hours. Wonder who decided to set it into
> a ring in the first place?

The same people who put the strange loophole in Angel's curse I would guess.
My impression of the Buffyverse has been that magic is rarely quite the
solution that it appears to be. I'm guessing that rule continues in Angel.

> I'd kinda forgotten about Angel's whole quest for his reason he was
> brought back, and I think it's because I kinda thought he decided it
> didn't matter. Oh yeah, is that whole First thing still haunting him
> so incessantly for the last year that it hasn't even merited a
> mention?

I still think the First's visions ended when his minions were killed and the
altar destroyed. The residue was Angel seeking a purpose - to be the
righteous man.

> So...

> One-sentence summary: Pretty good overall, both on its own and as a
> continuation.

> AOQ rating: Good

I don't know. Maybe. But it's close. I do like pieces of the show quite a
bit. But the only thing really special I see is the opening with Spike.
And maybe in it's way, Angel's decision at the end. I'm leaning a bit more
towards Decent.

OBS

Don Sample

Apr 12, 2006, 10:28:12 PM4/12/06
In article <123rb1t...@news.supernews.com>,

"One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:

> "Cordelia. You look smashing. Did you lose weight?" Said as Spike's lying
> on the ground bruised from an Angel blow. Always the attitude. I had to
> laugh.

But when did Cordelia ever get introduced to Spike? There might have
been a couple of times that Cordy was around while Buffy was kicking his
ass, but there was no indication that he even knew her name back in
Sunnydale.

One Bit Shy

Apr 12, 2006, 11:17:59 PM4/12/06
"Don Sample" <dsa...@synapse.net> wrote in message

> In article <123rb1t...@news.supernews.com>,
> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>
>> "Cordelia. You look smashing. Did you lose weight?" Said as Spike's
>> lying
>> on the ground bruised from an Angel blow. Always the attitude. I had to
>> laugh.
>
> But when did Cordelia ever get introduced to Spike? There might have
> been a couple of times that Cordy was around while Buffy was kicking his
> ass, but there was no indication that he even knew her name back in
> Sunnydale.

Based on the episodes alone I'm not sure they've even been in the same room
outside of School Hard and Halloween - nether of which provided any
interaction. Cordelia would know who he was though from Halloween. (And
certainly all about him from talk with the Scoobies.) Perhaps Spike had
scoped her out (along with everybody else) inbetween episodes during the
first half of S2 when he was studying Buffy - and clearly was bothered by
the notion of a slayer with friends.

Slim, I know. But what are you going to do?

OBS

Mel

Apr 12, 2006, 11:47:58 PM4/12/06

Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:

> Cordelia references comic books way more often than any
> cheerleader/actor type I've ever known. She's got layers. Or
> Mutant Enemy writers. Take your pick.

Neither. She dated Xander.

Mel

Opus the Penguin

Apr 13, 2006, 12:50:26 AM4/13/06
One Bit Shy (O...@nomail.sorry) wrote:

> I can't get over how it's yet another blonde. (And please note
> that the girl Angel saves from Spike is also a blonde.) I was
> joking a bit when I first mentioned it, but this is getting
> ridiculous.

Mrs. Penguin and I began referring to each successive character of this
sort as Fungible Blonde. Go ahead. Say it. It's fun.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

(Harmony) Watcher

Apr 13, 2006, 1:08:24 AM4/13/06
"One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote in message

Yes, Spike most likely did as I can easily imagine another soliloquy from
Spike mocking Cordy this time. Of all the central characters in BtVS and
AtS, I think Cordy deserved as much mockery as anyone else.

<rest snipped>

==Harmony Watcher==

Arbitrar Of Quality

Apr 13, 2006, 7:01:57 AM4/13/06
One Bit Shy wrote:

> I can't get over how it's yet another blonde. (And please note that the
> girl Angel saves from Spike is also a blonde.) I was joking a bit when I
> first mentioned it, but this is getting ridiculous. Maybe they're all
> really brunettes and we're seeing what Angel imagines them to look like.

Well, his old girlfriend wasn't a real blonde either. Yeah, the trend
is getting quite noticable.

> I'm curious about his repeated comments about how pale Angel is near the
> end - since Angel doesn't really look that pale to me - especially no more
> so than Oz. Is it some kind of inside joke because Angel should look pale
> but doesn't?

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe he needed to get rid of that thing.

> Shan Yu?

_Firefly_ joke. Marcus's speeches about pain revealing true character
or whatever remind me of a similar scene in a FF episode, in which the
torturer is a fan of a book on this topic written by a Shan Yu.

> I still think the First's visions ended when his minions were killed and the
> altar destroyed. The residue was Angel seeking a purpose - to be the
> righteous man.

Well, if it's never brought up again, that'll be a fair assumption.

-AOQ

KenM47

Apr 13, 2006, 7:17:27 AM4/13/06
"Arbitrar Of Quality" <tsm...@wildmail.com> wrote:

>A reminder: Please avoid spoilers for later _Buffy_ and _Angel_
>episodes in these review threads
>

>ANGEL
>Season One, Episode 3: "Into The Dark"
>(or "Angelmobile away!")
>Writer: Douglas Petrie
>Director: Bruce Seth Green

<SNIP>

>One-sentence summary: Pretty good overall, both on its own and as a
>continuation.
>
>AOQ rating: Good
>
>[Season One so far:
>1) "City Of" - Good
>2) "Lonely Hearts" - Weak
>3) "Into The Dark" - Good]

Definitely Good(+) to Excellent(-) IMO.

The dark scenes were just that. Spike came across as the evil bastard
we "knew" he was, yet was very, very funny.

Noble Angel - really started to sell that here.

OK, maybe no reason for Cordy to be that well-informed about Spike and
vice versa. No big.

Ken (Brooklyn)

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Apr 13, 2006, 8:30:57 AM4/13/06
> Well, his old girlfriend wasn't a real blonde either. Yeah, the trend
> is getting quite noticable.

its a california thing

come to california
go blonde

arf meow arf - nsa fodder
al qaeda terrorism nuclear bomb iran taliban big brother
if you meet buddha on the usenet killfile him

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 10:43:38 AM4/13/06
Opus the Penguin wrote:
> One Bit Shy (O...@nomail.sorry) wrote:
>
> > I can't get over how it's yet another blonde. (And please note
> > that the girl Angel saves from Spike is also a blonde.) I was
> > joking a bit when I first mentioned it, but this is getting
> > ridiculous.
>
> Mrs. Penguin and I began referring to each successive character of this
> sort as Fungible Blonde. Go ahead. Say it. It's fun.

Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde.

You know, it does roll off the tongue in a pleasing way.

OBS

chr...@removethistoreply.gwu.edu

Apr 13, 2006, 12:12:32 PM4/13/06
In alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer One Bit Shy <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:

>> But when did Cordelia ever get introduced to Spike? There might have
>> been a couple of times that Cordy was around while Buffy was kicking his
>> ass, but there was no indication that he even knew her name back in
>> Sunnydale.
>
> Based on the episodes alone I'm not sure they've even been in the same room
> outside of School Hard and Halloween - nether of which provided any
> interaction. Cordelia would know who he was though from Halloween. (And
> certainly all about him from talk with the Scoobies.) Perhaps Spike had
> scoped her out (along with everybody else) inbetween episodes during the
> first half of S2 when he was studying Buffy - and clearly was bothered by
> the notion of a slayer with friends.

My guess is that Angelus told him and Dru all about Buffy's crew sometime
shortly after Innocence. After being unpleasantly surprised by the Slayer
with family and friends in School Hard, he surely took advantage of any
info he could get on the subject. After Angel switched teams, Spike had a
ready source of intelligence on everything Buffy-related.

Terry

Apr 13, 2006, 2:10:14 PM4/13/06
"One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1144939418.125579.153040
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Opus the Penguin wrote:

>> Mrs. Penguin and I began referring to each successive character of this
>> sort as Fungible Blonde. Go ahead. Say it. It's fun.
>

> Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde.

I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?

Opus the Penguin

Apr 13, 2006, 3:10:46 PM4/13/06
Terry (no...@nonesuch.com) wrote:

Man, if you have to ask, you'll never know.

Slayah

Apr 13, 2006, 5:21:39 PM4/13/06
Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:
> One Bit Shy wrote:

>> I'm curious about his repeated comments about how pale Angel is near
>> the end - since Angel doesn't really look that pale to me -
>> especially no more so than Oz. Is it some kind of inside joke
>> because Angel should look pale but doesn't?
>
> Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe he needed to get rid of that
> thing.

I think the joke is that Oz is actually paler than Angel.
Hey these threads are great, I just discovered them. And I just finished
rewatching season 1. I take it this is your first viewing of Season 1?
Are you watching the eps on DVD? I won't spoil, don't worry.

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 7:25:03 PM4/13/06
<chr...@removethistoreply.gwu.edu> wrote in message

> In alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer One Bit Shy <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>

>>> But when did Cordelia ever get introduced to Spike? There might have
>>> been a couple of times that Cordy was around while Buffy was kicking his
>>> ass, but there was no indication that he even knew her name back in
>>> Sunnydale.
>>
>> Based on the episodes alone I'm not sure they've even been in the same
>> room
>> outside of School Hard and Halloween - nether of which provided any
>> interaction. Cordelia would know who he was though from Halloween. (And
>> certainly all about him from talk with the Scoobies.) Perhaps Spike had
>> scoped her out (along with everybody else) inbetween episodes during the
>> first half of S2 when he was studying Buffy - and clearly was bothered by
>> the notion of a slayer with friends.
>
> My guess is that Angelus told him and Dru all about Buffy's crew sometime
> shortly after Innocence. After being unpleasantly surprised by the Slayer
> with family and friends in School Hard, he surely took advantage of any
> info he could get on the subject. After Angel switched teams, Spike had a
> ready source of intelligence on everything Buffy-related.

That's true, but Spike spent most of that time out of sight in a wheelchair,
so his opportunities to actually see Cordelia then were pretty slim. The
scene in Angel relies on him at least recognizing her.

OBS

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 7:39:21 PM4/13/06
"Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message

Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as another.

The term is used mostly in financial markets - and there's even a bit of a
pun buried in there, though I don't know if it's intentional.

In recent years it also has become somewhat popular in social/political
commentary, as in someone with fungible principals. Which means someone who
will swap principals whenever convenient. Whether that has any utility in
this example you can decide.

It's also cleverer than blonde of the week.

OBS

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 7:46:20 PM4/13/06
"Slayah" <Sla...@hellmouth.com> wrote in message

This is AOQ's first run through both Angel and Buffy.

This is my first run through Angel, but I'm quite familiar with Buffy.

Now that you mention it, the first BtVS episode Oz showed up in I remember
thinking that he was incredibly pale. I wondered if it was really bad
make-up.

OBS

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 7:49:57 PM4/13/06
"KenM47" <Ken...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Noble Angel - really started to sell that here.

That's exactly how it came across to me. The ending scene worked very well
for me on that level. I think the character impressed me more there than he
has anywhere to date.

OBS

Opus the Penguin

Apr 13, 2006, 8:01:49 PM4/13/06
One Bit Shy (O...@nomail.sorry) wrote:

> "Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message
>> "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in
>> news:1144939418.125579.153040 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>> Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde.
>>

>> I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?
>
> Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as
> another.
>
> The term is used mostly in financial markets - and there's even a
> bit of a pun buried in there, though I don't know if it's
> intentional.

It sounds vaguely dirty if that's what you mean. Fungible Uvula would
be a great band name just to see how many papers refused to print the
adds.

> In recent years it also has become somewhat popular in
> social/political commentary, as in someone with fungible
> principals. Which means someone who will swap principals whenever
> convenient. Whether that has any utility in this example you can
> decide.
>
> It's also cleverer than blonde of the week.
>
> OBS

Yeah, but blondes aren't very clever.

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Apr 13, 2006, 8:30:15 PM4/13/06
In article <123tot7...@news.supernews.com>,

"One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:

saw him as a shmuck

i vaguely remember that in a few episodes someone is endangered
because its daylight and angel cant get there

if angel had decided it was too dangerous to keep i could understand
but the motivation given is just self flagelation
that makes it more difficult to protect the innocent etc

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Apr 13, 2006, 8:31:14 PM4/13/06
In article <123to9b...@news.supernews.com>,

"One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:

> "Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message
> > "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1144939418.125579.153040
> > @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >> Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde.
> >

> > I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?
>
> Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as another.

hes quoting snaker fodder
(puppet show)

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 9:04:41 PM4/13/06
<mair_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In article <123to9b...@news.supernews.com>,
> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>
>> "Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message
>> > "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1144939418.125579.153040
>> > @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>> > I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?
>>
>> Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as another.
>
> hes quoting snaker fodder
> (puppet show)

LOL! Of course he is. Ah, so many lines to be delighted by over and over.
Thank you.

OBS

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 9:13:27 PM4/13/06
"Opus the Penguin" <opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> One Bit Shy (O...@nomail.sorry) wrote:
>
>> "Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message
>>> "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in
>>> news:1144939418.125579.153040 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>> I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?
>>
>> Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as
>> another.
>>
>> The term is used mostly in financial markets - and there's even a
>> bit of a pun buried in there, though I don't know if it's
>> intentional.
>
> It sounds vaguely dirty if that's what you mean. Fungible Uvula would
> be a great band name just to see how many papers refused to print the
> adds.

If they had multiple lead vocalists...

No, the pun is quite modest and dull. Fungible bonds is a fairly common
financial market expression.

One Bit Shy

Apr 13, 2006, 9:18:12 PM4/13/06

> In article <123tot7...@news.supernews.com>,
> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>
>> "KenM47" <Ken...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Noble Angel - really started to sell that here.
>>
>> That's exactly how it came across to me. The ending scene worked very
>> well
>> for me on that level. I think the character impressed me more there than
>> he
>> has anywhere to date.
>
> saw him as a shmuck
>
> i vaguely remember that in a few episodes someone is endangered
> because its daylight and angel cant get there
>
> if angel had decided it was too dangerous to keep i could understand
> but the motivation given is just self flagelation
> that makes it more difficult to protect the innocent etc

I'm not going to defend it as smart. But atonement is a big part of Angel's
motivation, so I understand him being uncomfortable with anything that
smacks of reward.

OBS

Opus the Penguin

Apr 13, 2006, 10:40:03 PM4/13/06
One Bit Shy (O...@nomail.sorry) wrote:

> No, the pun is quite modest and dull. Fungible bonds is a fairly
> common financial market expression.

Ah. Perhaps my subconscious is cleverer than I am.

(Harmony) Watcher

Apr 13, 2006, 11:53:55 PM4/13/06

> Terry (no...@nonesuch.com) wrote:
>
> > "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in
> > news:1144939418.125579.153040 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >> Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde. Fungible Blonde.
> >

> > I don't get it. What is it, avant garde?
> >

> Man, if you have to ask, you'll never know.

http://bdb.vrya.net/bdb/clip.php?clip=2892

=(Harmony) Watcher=

Terry

Apr 14, 2006, 8:58:02 AM4/14/06

> "mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges"
> <mair_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <123to9b...@news.supernews.com>,
>> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>>
>>> "Terry" <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote in message

>>> Fungible means interchangeable - so one blonde is as good as
>>> another.
>>
>> hes quoting snaker fodder
>> (puppet show)
>

> LOL! Of course he is. Ah, so many lines to be delighted by over and
> over. Thank you.

Thanks for the backup, but, just for the record, I'm a "she."

Though, I didn't get it, so the explanation helped, too. I think.

Terry (now knows a new word, apparently)

Slayah

Apr 14, 2006, 9:25:08 AM4/14/06
One Bit Shy wrote:

> This is AOQ's first run through both Angel and Buffy.

Lucky! How far along with Buffy? (so I don't ever spoil anything)

> This is my first run through Angel, but I'm quite familiar with Buffy.

You are in for an incredible ride.

> Now that you mention it, the first BtVS episode Oz showed up in I
> remember thinking that he was incredibly pale. I wondered if it was
> really bad make-up.

Oz is so pale he's translucent.

One Bit Shy

Apr 14, 2006, 10:18:06 AM4/14/06
Slayah wrote:
> One Bit Shy wrote:
>

> > This is AOQ's first run through both Angel and Buffy.
>
> Lucky! How far along with Buffy? (so I don't ever spoil anything)

AOQ started with BtVS reviews in alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer. He's in S4
now, which is the appropriate time to start Angel. He's alternating
episodes between the two to emulate the original order.

> > This is my first run through Angel, but I'm quite familiar with Buffy.
>
> You are in for an incredible ride.

I hope so. I can't really afford these DVDs, but passion always
overrides reason.

OBS

One Bit Shy

Apr 14, 2006, 10:27:55 AM4/14/06
Terry wrote:
> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote in
>
> > "mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges"
> > <mair_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> hes quoting snaker fodder
> >> (puppet show)
> >

> > LOL! Of course he is. Ah, so many lines to be delighted by over and
> > over. Thank you.
>
> Thanks for the backup, but, just for the record, I'm a "she."

Ooops. First I miss your reference, then your gender. I guess it
wasn't a banner day for my perceptive abilities.

> Though, I didn't get it, so the explanation helped, too. I think.
>
> Terry (now knows a new word, apparently)

I rarely use it. I think it's the fungi... start. Makes me think of
dank rotting wood or something.

OBS

Slayah

Apr 14, 2006, 10:49:44 AM4/14/06
One Bit Shy wrote:
> Slayah wrote:
>> One Bit Shy wrote:
>>

>>> This is AOQ's first run through both Angel and Buffy.
>>
>> Lucky! How far along with Buffy? (so I don't ever spoil anything)
>
> AOQ started with BtVS reviews in alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer. He's in S4
> now, which is the appropriate time to start Angel. He's alternating
> episodes between the two to emulate the original order.

That's perfect.

>>> This is my first run through Angel, but I'm quite familiar with
>>> Buffy.
>>
>> You are in for an incredible ride.
>
> I hope so. I can't really afford these DVDs, but passion always
> overrides reason.

You can't afford *not* to watch the entire 5 seasons! It's a real
journey and you won't be sorry. You'll only be sorry there isn't any
more. But then you can start watching them again from the beginning.
That's a trip too.

Arbitrar Of Quality

Apr 14, 2006, 2:30:26 PM4/14/06

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges wrote:
> In article <123tot7...@news.supernews.com>,
> "One Bit Shy" <O...@nomail.sorry> wrote:
>
> > "KenM47" <Ken...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Noble Angel - really started to sell that here.
> >
> > That's exactly how it came across to me. The ending scene worked very well
> > for me on that level. I think the character impressed me more there than he
> > has anywhere to date.
>
> saw him as a shmuck
>
> i vaguely remember that in a few episodes someone is endangered
> because its daylight and angel cant get there
>
> if angel had decided it was too dangerous to keep i could understand
> but the motivation given is just self flagelation
> that makes it more difficult to protect the innocent etc

You're missing the point. It's NOT about self-flagellation. To Angel,
it's about responsibility (or percieved responsibility); he's taken it
upon himself to live in the spaces in the human world, where "normal"
authority can't help (i.e. dealing with the supernatural, and vampires
in particular). He's of the opinion that if he faces the constant
temptation of living like a normal man again, it'll severely damage his
ability to do his self-appointed job, more so than it would help.
Which is certainly debatable (i.e. Tina in "City Of"), but it's very
much in tune with the way Angel thinks.

-AOQ

George W Harris

Apr 14, 2006, 3:59:14 PM4/14/06

:
:> I can't get over how it's yet another blonde. (And please note

:> that the girl Angel saves from Spike is also a blonde.) I was
:> joking a bit when I first mentioned it, but this is getting
:> ridiculous.

:
:Mrs. Penguin and I began referring to each successive character of this

:sort as Fungible Blonde. Go ahead. Say it. It's fun.

Great name for a rock band.
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Terry

Apr 15, 2006, 11:05:44 AM4/15/06
"One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1145024875.771587.305160
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Ooops. First I miss your reference, then your gender. I guess it
> wasn't a banner day for my perceptive abilities.

We all have bad days. Plus, Terry with a "y" is confusing. I get a lot of
mail addressed to Mr. Terry. No big.

> I rarely use it. I think it's the fungi... start. Makes me think of
> dank rotting wood or something.

Yeah, but good word.

Terry

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Apr 15, 2006, 11:38:25 AM4/15/06
In article <cZ70g.7$my...@fe03.lga>, Terry <no...@nonesuch.com> wrote:

> "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1145024875.771587.305160
> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Ooops. First I miss your reference, then your gender. I guess it
> > wasn't a banner day for my perceptive abilities.
>
> We all have bad days. Plus, Terry with a "y" is confusing. I get a lot of
> mail addressed to Mr. Terry. No big.

use an i
and be sure to dot it with a little heart

Slayah

Apr 15, 2006, 12:06:41 PM4/15/06
Terry wrote:
> "One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1145024875.771587.305160
> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Ooops. First I miss your reference, then your gender. I guess it
>> wasn't a banner day for my perceptive abilities.
>
> We all have bad days. Plus, Terry with a "y" is confusing. I get a
> lot of mail addressed to Mr. Terry. No big.

On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
male. What do they know, lol.

Rowan Hawthorn

Apr 15, 2006, 12:47:21 PM4/15/06

And people on *all* newsgroups tend to assume I'm female from my nick.
I blame Anne McCaffrey... :-)

--
Rowan Hawthorn

"Occasionally, I'm callous and strange." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the
Vampire Slayer"

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Apr 15, 2006, 12:56:59 PM4/15/06
In article <sJ6dneGXrdP...@giganews.com>,
Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_h...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Slayah wrote:
> > Terry wrote:
> >
> >>"One Bit Shy" <ult...@mail.com> wrote in news:1145024875.771587.305160
> >>@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> >>We all have bad days. Plus, Terry with a "y" is confusing. I get a
> >>lot of mail addressed to Mr. Terry. No big.
> >

> > On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
> > male. What do they know, lol.
> >

> And people on *all* newsgroups tend to assume I'm female from my nick.
> I blame Anne McCaffrey... :-)

i thought you were a tree

Rowan Hawthorn

Apr 15, 2006, 1:38:56 PM4/15/06
mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges wrote:
> In article <sJ6dneGXrdP...@giganews.com>,
> Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Slayah wrote:

>>>On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
>>>male. What do they know, lol.
>>>

>>And people on *all* newsgroups tend to assume I'm female from my nick.
>>I blame Anne McCaffrey... :-)
>

> i thought you were a tree

Oh, leaf me alone... <g>

Slayah

Apr 15, 2006, 4:39:30 PM4/15/06
Rowan Hawthorn wrote:

> Slayah wrote:
>> On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
>> male. What do they know, lol.
>>

> And people on *all* newsgroups tend to assume I'm female from my nick.
> I blame Anne McCaffrey... :-)

Nope, I took you for male. I knew a girl who renamed herself Rowan, but
she named herself after her uncle.

Arbitrar Of Quality

Apr 16, 2006, 1:42:16 AM4/16/06
Slayah wrote:

> On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
> male. What do they know, lol.

I think I kinda assumed you were male too, actually; something about
the spelling does it.

On an unrelated note, I was recently travelling with the fiancee and
putting _Reign In Blood_ into my discman, and she asked "Slayer,
they're a female band, right?"

-AOQ

Rowan Hawthorn

Apr 16, 2006, 2:13:20 AM4/16/06

Well, if they hadn't formed before "Buffy" started, they
probably woulda been...

Slayah

Apr 17, 2006, 2:40:18 PM4/17/06
Arbitrar Of Quality wrote:
> Slayah wrote:
>
>> On any ng other than the whedonverse ngs, I am always assumed to be
>> male. What do they know, lol.
>
> I think I kinda assumed you were male too, actually; something about
> the spelling does it.

It's "slayer" but the way Spike would pronounce it. True story.

> On an unrelated note, I was recently travelling with the fiancee and
> putting _Reign In Blood_ into my discman, and she asked "Slayer,
> they're a female band, right?"

LOL! did you let her listen and say "You tell me"?
On another subject, I see that your ep 4 review is now up. What is the
system, you watch a new ep once a week? On a particular day? I'll catch
up tonight.

Arbitrar Of Quality

Apr 17, 2006, 10:17:19 PM4/17/06
Slayah wrote:

> On another subject, I see that your ep 4 review is now up. What is the
> system, you watch a new ep once a week? On a particular day? I'll catch
> up tonight.

Again, I'm alternating between BTVS reviews (alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer
only) and ATS reviews (crossposted). I generally post a review every
day or two, depending on my schedule, whether older threads need time
to play out, and so on. We may move more towards every other day,
since as of today I have nowhere near the kind of free time that I did
a couple months ago. But we'll see.

-AOQ