WXON banishes B5 in Detroit

Gary

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

WXON has banished Babylon 5 from its Tuesday evening broadcast. B5's
last prime time broadcast will be Tuesday, August 20 at 8:00 pm.
After that, B5 will only be shown on Sunday mornings at 1:00 am.

An outgoing message on WXON's phone system states: "Please note that
Babylon 5's last 8 pm telecast will be Tuesday, August 20th, but will
remain on Saturdays." It goes on to say that the new season begins in
November.

This is obviously a death toll for B5 in Detroit.

Kyle Ferrio maintains a web page devoted to Babylon 5's status on
WXON:

http://www.personal.engin.umich.edu/~kylef/B5/wxon.html

WXON contact info:

27777 Franklin Road, #1220
Southfield, MI 48034

Mr. Mike Berman, Station Manager
Ms. Tracey Menczer, Promotion Director

Phone: 810-355-2020 Fax: 810-355-0368

Start those letters now!

...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

Robert Holland

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

Gary wrote:

> WXON has banished Babylon 5 from its Tuesday evening broadcast. B5's
> last prime time broadcast will be Tuesday, August 20 at 8:00 pm.
> After that, B5 will only be shown on Sunday mornings at 1:00 am.
>
> An outgoing message on WXON's phone system states: "Please note that
> Babylon 5's last 8 pm telecast will be Tuesday, August 20th, but will
> remain on Saturdays." It goes on to say that the new season begins in
> November.
>
> This is obviously a death toll for B5 in Detroit.

WXON.

W XON?!

Weren't the Xon eliminated by the Centauri on Centauri Prime?

Could this be payback?

--RH

Rae Edward Leggett

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

--
"It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the
journey that matters, in the end."

Robert Seward

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

That's what vcr's are for. The only way that I get to watch Highlander is
like that.

David W. Lillard

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

>From the letter I got today from the station manager (in response to my fax letter), I gather that B5 got relegated to the Midnight Saturdays slot because WB was so slow in renewing it for another year. The letter stated that the change was made due to prior commitments.

FYI, David.

Robert Fredrick LeGood

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

In <1996082816...@internet-mail2.ford.com> "Wilkinson K F
(Kimberly)" <kwil...@ford.com> writes:
>Yes, but that's usually a prelude to cancelling it
>using The Great Excuse:
>"Well, it's just not getting the ratings..."
>
>No kidding, it's not, because it's aired at such a weird
>time.

I think what part of the problem is that Babylon-5 has a cult
following.
This following is not enough to give it a prime-time slot, but enough
that they know that they can stick it in any timeslot and it will be
watched. How many of us dedicated followers will not watch it simply
because it moved to a graveyard slot?
Oh gee, zero.

Rob LeGood

rfle...@ix.netcom.com

Wilkinson K F (Kimberly)

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96
to Post to B5 mod Group

Robert Seward wrote:

> That's what vcr's are for. The only way that I get to watch Highlander is
> like that.

Yes, but that's usually a prelude to cancelling it
using The Great Excuse:
"Well, it's just not getting the ratings..."

No kidding, it's not, because it's aired at such a weird
time.

--
Kim Wilkinson <*> (kwil...@mailhost.pd4.ford.com)

"A dog is not 'almost human,' and I know of no greater
insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
-John Holmes
My opinions do not come from my employer. Heck,
I don't know *where* they come from. Vorlons,
maybe...

Methos

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

Eric J. Hawman (eha...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Rae Edward Leggett wrote:
: >

I just contacted WXON. Mr. Mike Berman (no relation to Chris, I asked)
is on extended vacation. Ms. Tracey Menczer is on maternity leave (Ms.
is an abbreviation for Miss, right? I'm not condemning, just asking.)
The person sitting in for the two told me that effective Saturday, September
14, WXON will be airing episodes of Babylon_5 at midnight.

So it hasn't been completely trashed, but you will have to either set
the VCR of stay at home Saturday night too (Wednesday nights are the
other stay home night due to Party of Five, NewsRadio, Star Trek: Voyager
(ok, maybe not that one) and MTV's The Real (Fake) World). The woman I
talked to didn't seem to have a lot of power, so I thought I would save
my long winded rant for when the Station Manager gets back in, and Ms.
Menczer is done nursing her new bouncing baby.

I did ask her when the new season begins and she said, "Oh! That would
be November 9th." "Really?" Is she smoking something, or does this seem
right to everyone?

But do call, in about a week and let them know how disgusted you are
with this whole WB Programming nonsense. Tell them you want the B5! And
you're not going to stand for anything less!

-Todd

"I'm out of the loop. And that's the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it."

-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Steve Sloan

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

> An outgoing message on WXON's phone system states: "Please note
>that Babylon 5's last 8 pm telecast will be Tuesday, August 20th,
>but will remain on Saturdays." It goes on to say that the new
>season begins in November.
>
> This is obviously a death toll for B5 in Detroit.

Not necessarily. In the Huntsville area, B5 started out at a primetime
time slot, then, halfway through the first season, they moved it to 1 AM
(Central) on Sunday nights. They moved it back to a decent time slot
starting at about the beginning of the second season. There's always
hope...
Steve Sloan
Senior in Computer Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville
E-mail: sl...@geosim.msfc.nasa.gov, Home phone: (205) 773-1309

Tom Smith

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Methos (tmr...@saturn.acs.oakland.edu) wrote:

: Eric J. Hawman (eha...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: : Rae Edward Leggett wrote:
: : >
: : > Gary wrote:
: : > >
[...]

Well, that would actually make sense... remember that it's The Final
Five of Season 3 that begin in early October.

: But do call, in about a week and let them know how disgusted you are

: with this whole WB Programming nonsense. Tell them you want the B5! And
: you're not going to stand for anything less!

I sincerely hope we can get B5 restored to a decent hour... as long as
it's not Monday night, which would smack us around with (in increasing
order of intellectual stimulation) pro football, Voyager, and pro
wrestling.... ;)

--

Best,

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| Tom Smith (toms...@izzy.net) | Amiga - Babylon 5 - MST3K |
| The World's Fastest Filker | http://www.izzy.net/~tomsmith |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

Joshua M. Thompson

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

In alt.tv.babylon-5 Tom Smith <toms...@izzy5.izzy.net> wrote:

: I sincerely hope we can get B5 restored to a decent hour... as long as

: it's not Monday night, which would smack us around with (in increasing
: order of intellectual stimulation) pro football, Voyager, and pro
: wrestling.... ;)

Actually, ST: Voyager has been moved to Wednesdays at 9pm. :)

Tuesday used to be a nice time slot, but now I think I'm going to be
watching The Burning Zone on those days...

--
email: in...@mich.com Senior Systems Engineer
web: http://www.optera.com/~invid mich.com, Inc. Farmington, MI

William Jasman

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

WXON runs B5 at 1:00 AM Saturdays on Channel 20 in Detroit. Nice time
slot, jerks.
Why watch WB20 any other time, certainly not to watch umpteen 10 PM reruns
of Babe Watch.
jas...@ili.net

Steve Sloan <sl...@mapsrus.msfc.nasa.gov> wrote in article
<322F15...@mapsrus.msfc.nasa.gov>...

> > An outgoing message on WXON's phone system states: "Please note
> >that Babylon 5's last 8 pm telecast will be Tuesday, August 20th,
> >but will remain on Saturdays." It goes on to say that the new
> >season begins in November.
> >
> > This is obviously a death toll for B5 in Detroit.

WIser41557

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

Heck, at least they didn't cancel it like they did here in Philadelphia.
What the heck am I gonna do in November? plus, we've got one station lying
about the other.<groan!>
Maybe I can sue Channel 17 for the price of my getting cable?Hmmmm

WRI <--not looking forward to November

William Jasman

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Just a Note to y'all in Detroit, Bab 5 runs 1:00 AM, Saturday Night/Sunday
Morning on Channel 20 in Detroit. Set those recorders. Off of C-Band
Satellite, Sunday 8:00, G4-Trans 7

Eric Connelly

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

I was wondering what was going on. They swapped it with Baywatch a few
times....when do the last 4 epps get shown?

Any hope to get it restored to Tues 8pm? I can see them shuffling it
around for re-runs, but not during new shows. They had Baywatch, then an
ep, another Baywatch, and now a movie last week. If they put it on the
answering machine, they must have expected a reaction.

Could anyone please email me with some more info, who to contact, blah blah
blah...

conn...@rust.net, Thanks!

William Jasman <jas...@ili.net> wrote in article
<01bb9c55$761a2a00$67c9face@ruths>...

dogrobber

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

I called WXON and they told me that B5 would be back on Tues at 8 when
the new season starts. Also the repeat will be moving to Midnight Sat
then. I sure hope they weren't just blowing smoke.

Gary

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

dogrobber <the.do...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I called WXON and they told me that B5 would be back on Tues at 8 when
>the new season starts. Also the repeat will be moving to Midnight Sat
>then. I sure hope they weren't just blowing smoke.

This is NEWS! When did you talk to them and who did you speak to?

...Gary

...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

Gary

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

dogrobber <the.do...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I called WXON and they told me that B5 would be back on Tues at 8 when
>the new season starts. Also the repeat will be moving to Midnight Sat
>then. I sure hope they weren't just blowing smoke.

Well I called WXON today after seeing your message and they have NOT
decided move B5 back to 8:00. It is still banished to 1:00 am. I
don't know where you get your information, since the station stated
that they would NOT have told anyone that.

BTW, the former Promotions Director, Tracey Menczer, who was away on
maternity leave, is not returning. Debra Michaelson is currently
sitting in for her.

...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

David S. Lee

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

General advice about WXON:

Always get the name of the person who answers the phone if you call, and
don't take much stock in any info you get during a phone call you make to
the station--the receptionist usually doesn't know jack about what's going
on at the station. I've been burned myself once or twice because of this.

If you *write* to the station, specifically to Menczer (I guess not
anymore), Michaelson, or Berman (station manager), then you usually can
get reliable information--at least as reliable as WXON gets.

I can confirm what Gary has said above--I've spoken with Debra Michaelson,
and received the form letter from Mike Berman like everyone else.

David S. Lee (internet: davi...@umich.edu)
Department of Otolaryngology
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~davidlee/

w.j.ward

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Gary <ga...@mich.com> wrote in article <5198gq$j...@news.mich.com>...

> Well I called WXON today after seeing your message and they have NOT
> decided move B5 back to 8:00. It is still banished to 1:00 am. I
> don't know where you get your information, since the station stated
> that they would NOT have told anyone that.
>
> ...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

Here is some information graciously e-mailed to me by another Detroit-area
B5 follower who recently posted about this banishment:

Mr Mike Berman, Station Manager
WXON Channel 20, Detroit Mi. Viewing Area
27777 Franklin Road, #1220
Southfield, Mi. 48034

Article with information on new time is:
Detroit Free Press 9/9/96
Mike Duffy, Television

--
(Remember..if it doesn't work, Microsoft doesn't care.)
W.J.Ward

Wade A. Myers

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

Robert Holland <rhol...@wco.com> wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>>
>> WXON has banished Babylon 5 from its Tuesday evening broadcast. B5's
>> last prime time broadcast will be Tuesday, August 20 at 8:00 pm.
>> After that, B5 will only be shown on Sunday mornings at 1:00 am.
>>

>> An outgoing message on WXON's phone system states: "Please note that
>> Babylon 5's last 8 pm telecast will be Tuesday, August 20th, but will
>> remain on Saturdays." It goes on to say that the new season begins in
>> November.
>>
>> This is obviously a death toll for B5 in Detroit.

I've called WXON and complained, but I'm only one person. I've looked
in vain for an e-mail address for WXON. Do you have it ?

_Wade_

Scott Johnson

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

:
: I've called WXON and complained, but I'm only one person. I've looked

: in vain for an e-mail address for WXON. Do you have it ?
:
: _Wade_

Even if they had an e-mail address (which I doubt), e-mail would never carry
the same weight as an actual, physical letter. There is a fan-run Save B5
on WXON web page that contains current information about B5's status and
contact information for the station. I urge everyone who hasn't yet to
write the station and let them know (in a polite, articulate way) your
displeasure with the schedule change. The manager has indicated that if one
of the other shows is cancelled, there is a chance B5 could move to a better
time slot, but they need lots of letters to be willing to do that!

The URL is:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kthugha/b5/wxon.html

Let's show them "the depth of their mistake!" :-)

--
Scott Johnson Email: sco...@eecs.umich.edu
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~scottdj

Bill Washburn

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

In <52p2km$e...@oxy.rust.net> ac...@detroit.freenet.org (Wade A. Myers)
writes:

>Robert Holland <rhol...@wco.com> wrote:
>
>>Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> WXON has banished Babylon 5 from its Tuesday evening broadcast.
B5's
>>> last prime time broadcast will be Tuesday, August 20 at 8:00 pm.
>>> After that, B5 will only be shown on Sunday mornings at 1:00 am.

well at least on a weekend you can stay up to watch it! here in dayton
ohio our B5 channel, WKEF 22, has always shown it at midnite on
Sundays.. ugh. but wait! what's this I hear?? they're changing it this
year!?! yeah, to 1AM Monday!! what a bunch of idiots. I guess I should
just be thankful that I can see it at all... and thankful for VCR's...

Bill

Gary

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

ac...@detroit.freenet.org (Wade A. Myers) wrote:

>I've called WXON and complained, but I'm only one person. I've looked
>in vain for an e-mail address for WXON. Do you have it ?

AFAIK, WXON does not have an email address.

Kyle Ferrio maintains a web page devoted to Babylon 5's status on
WXON:

http://www.personal.engin.umich.edu/~kylef/B5/wxon.html

WXON contact info:

27777 Franklin Road, #1220
Southfield, MI 48034

Mr. Mike Berman, Station Manager

Phone: 810-355-2020 Fax: 810-355-0368

...Gary (ga...@mich.com)

Ronald E. Boyd

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

In <52pdt5$n...@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com> dap...@ix.netcom.com (Bill
Here in Peoria Ill. Our station WYZZ decided to cancel it all
together,and I am at a loss to find a way to view it from other
channels. So I am pleading with any viewer that tapes the final 5
season 3 eps and season 4 to please e-mail me if they are willing to
copy it for those of us who no longer can watch it.
Postage,tapes,mailers, whatever the cost (legal)I am willing to pay
We are at a point of thinking of moving to another area just to get it.
E-mail me at gori...@ix.netcom.com or gor...@flink.com
Thank you so much!!!!!
(back to lurker mode)

Kyle B. Ferrio

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

In article <52ppmn$4...@news.mich.com>, Gary <ga...@mich.com> wrote:
>ac...@detroit.freenet.org (Wade A. Myers) wrote:
>
>Kyle Ferrio maintains a web page devoted to Babylon 5's status on
>WXON:
>
> http://www.personal.engin.umich.edu/~kylef/B5/wxon.html

Gary, et al.:

That page will diappear completely around 18 October, when the UM
deletes my account. I'm encouraging everyone to take a look at
Ken Hunnicutt's page. Ken is adding value to my original pages.
Check it out:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kthugha/b5/wxon.html

Kyle http://www.phy.duke.edu/~kbf

Nightman

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

Previously...

>Ronald E. Boyd wrote:
>
> In <52pdt5$n...@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com> dap...@ix.netcom.com (Bill
> Washburn) writes:
> >
> >In <52p2km$e...@oxy.rust.net> ac...@detroit.freenet.org (Wade A. Myers)
> >writes:

> >B5's
trying to return to their sf/fantasy/horror lineup Saturday that they used to
have traditionally until the syndicated fare became sparse (You know, when
Friday the 13th the Series FINALLY was taken off the air after the third
complete set of reruns! :) ). They're putting Outer Limits, Hercules, Xena,
Poltergeist the Legacy, and Psi-Factor on before it. I think they're
honestly believing that all Detroit sf fans will actually watch ALL of those
shows...well, at least they didn't drop it!

Nightman

Message has been deleted