5.8: Gunn's toy robots

Clairel

Nov 20, 2003, 1:40:45 PM11/20/03
I never knew he was a collector of toy robots before. Never saw them
displayed on his office wall before.

So what was that scene all about, with Eve fiddling with the robots
and Gunn warning her not to touch them? Either it was anvilicious, or
it was ME being mischievous and trying to make us think they're being
anvilicious. And if the scene really was anvilicious, I can think of
at least two different ways in which it could be. So it's ambiguous.
And ambiguity doesn't go along very well with anviliciousness.

Hmm.

Clairel

Eds

Nov 20, 2003, 2:13:32 PM11/20/03

"Clairel" <reld...@usa.net> wrote in message

I don't know that word. Not in my dictionary, either.

As for the robots, we have seen them before (in Cautionary Tale... was it),
but I can't rememeber what it was all about. Maybe they'll turn out to be
the season's Big Bad.

I didn't get that scene at all.

Eds

Message has been deleted

liv

Nov 20, 2003, 4:12:44 PM11/20/03

-----------------
She was touching his personal belongings, and he told her not to touch
them. He doesn't trust her, no, he still doesn't trust her.

Gunn started out sleeping with his weapons. He seems to be developing
a taste for luxuries--toys, etc.
liv
l...@garbage.ziplink.net
take out the garbage to reply...

If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing.

Jane Davitt

Nov 20, 2003, 5:05:10 PM11/20/03
Steve D. Perkins wrote:
>>Either it was anvilicious, or it was ME being mischievous
>

> You're either being an incredibly pretentious ass, or just making
> that up as a joke to see who will prentend to be familiar with it also. I
> just checked three dictionaries, the work doesn't exist.
'Anvilicious'? It's a word in that most people here know what it means,
I bet. I do, and I'm not pretending <g>

'Of, or pertaining to, anvils,' is how I'd describe it. Remember in
cartoons, when they get dropped on people from a height? It means when
an idea is presented on the show with about that much subtlety; like
Willow's magic addiction for instance. Xander mentioned the anvil
concept in his yellow crayon speech at the end of S6.

Jane

--
Read my Buffy the Vampire Slayer fiction at
http://members.rogers.com/jdavitt01/index.html

Clairel

Nov 20, 2003, 6:23:16 PM11/20/03
"Steve D. Perkins" <dontwri...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns943993D6A2612g...@130.133.1.4>...

> > Either it was anvilicious, or it was ME being mischievous
>
> You're either being an incredibly pretentious ass, or just making
> that up as a joke to see who will prentend to be familiar with it also. I
> just checked three dictionaries, the work doesn't exist.

*sigh* I never said "anvilicious" was an erudite term, did I? It's a
slang term often used in Buffy-Angel forums. Google it here on this
NG; I'm sure you'll come up with lots of other instances of it.

I certainly didn't make it up, though; I picked it up from other
discussions among fans.

Clairel

DLeeCool

Nov 20, 2003, 6:50:47 PM11/20/03
>anvilicious

I found it. It describes food which is loaded with Iron but still tastes good.

Fenster

Nov 20, 2003, 7:09:37 PM11/20/03
On 20 Nov 2003, "Eds" <callm...@hotmael.com> went to the cliffs
of hope and faith and kicked the toll booth off:

> As for the robots, we have seen them before (in Cautionary Tale...
> was it), but I can't rememeber what it was all about. Maybe
> they'll turn out to be the season's Big Bad.

They'll assemble to form a fearsome, 10-story tall robot that will and
compensate for its lack of a moving jaw by gesticulating wildly.

Zombie Elvis

Nov 20, 2003, 7:52:57 PM11/20/03
It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
reld...@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in
<1faed770.03112...@posting.google.com>:

Gunn was pretty comfortable in the comic book shop during
"Supersymmetry" and was able to use comic book references comfortably.
I think the robots are just part of the fringe benefits of the W&H
takeover for Gunn -- he can now afford to indulge in a frivolous hobby
like collecting toy robots. Who knows? If he'd been born to an upper
middle class family in Sunnydale, he might have been friends with
members of the Trio.

--
"Screw destiny! Destiny's just another word for
inevitable. And nothing's inevitable if you stand up,

Roberto Castillo
roberto...@ameritech.net
http://www.freewebs.com/robertocastillo/

ilmaestro

Nov 20, 2003, 8:04:57 PM11/20/03
On 20 Nov 2003 19:28:23 GMT, "Steve D. Perkins"
<dontwri...@hotmail.com> proclaimed:

>> Either it was anvilicious, or it was ME being mischievous
>

> You're either being an incredibly pretentious ass, or just making
>that up as a joke to see who will prentend to be familiar with it also. I
>just checked three dictionaries, the work doesn't exist.

'anvil' '-icious'

--
ilmaestro

"No you don't. But thanks for saying it."

ilmaestro

Nov 20, 2003, 9:13:43 PM11/20/03
On 20 Nov 2003 23:50:47 GMT, dlee...@aol.com (DLeeCool) proclaimed:

>>anvilicious
>
>I found it. It describes food which is loaded with Iron but still tastes good.

LOL!

Reginald Bautista

Nov 21, 2003, 1:31:50 AM11/21/03
"Fenster" <r84g...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Suddenly I'm having visions of the BuffyBot saying, "I'll Form The Head!"

And if you don't get that... you're probably better off :-)

Reggie

The Babaloughesian

Nov 21, 2003, 3:15:02 AM11/21/03

"Reginald Bautista" <rbau...@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

Is this a reference to Voltron or Power Rangers?

C-Wasp

Nov 21, 2003, 3:47:27 AM11/21/03
reld...@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.03112...@posting.google.com>...

And?? You going to keep us all in suspense? You need to give us your
'at least two' explanations for the robots scene. Otherwise you are
just a tease who likes to use dumb words.

Ken from Chicago

Nov 21, 2003, 5:10:29 AM11/21/03

"Clairel" <reld...@usa.net> wrote in message

Gunn's obviously doing "research" about robot ninjas.

-- Ken from Chicago

Clairel

Nov 21, 2003, 3:24:59 PM11/21/03
Zombie Elvis <DELETE-ME-2-REPL...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<05oqrvs2m3ck0v3dr...@4ax.com>...

> It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
> and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
> reld...@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in
> <1faed770.03112...@posting.google.com>:
>
> > I never knew he was a collector of toy robots before. Never saw them
> > displayed on his office wall before.
> >
> > So what was that scene all about, with Eve fiddling with the robots
> > and Gunn warning her not to touch them? Either it was anvilicious, or
> > it was ME being mischievous and trying to make us think they're being
> > anvilicious. And if the scene really was anvilicious, I can think of
> > at least two different ways in which it could be. So it's ambiguous.
> > And ambiguity doesn't go along very well with anviliciousness.
> >
> Gunn was pretty comfortable in the comic book shop during
> "Supersymmetry" and was able to use comic book references comfortably.
> I think the robots are just part of the fringe benefits of the W&H
> takeover for Gunn -- he can now afford to indulge in a frivolous hobby
> like collecting toy robots. Who knows? If he'd been born to an upper
> middle class family in Sunnydale, he might have been friends with
> members of the Trio.

--Well, that's one way of looking at it. You may be right.

But I was thinking of it as some kind of symbolism on ME's part, not
really connected with Gunn's characterization as such, but with the
mysterious goings-on of late. What I mean is, Eve's handling of the
robots could be a way of hinting that she's in league with the Cyborgs
from last episode. Or Gunn having them on his wall could also be some
sort of hint that Gunn is secretly a traitor to his friends (as the
Rogerbot was), or something like that.

Not that I really believe either of those things. I was just trying
to figure out why ME would have gone out of their way to call
attention to Gunn's toy robot collection. All I could think of was
symbolic interpretations.

Clairel

Clairel

Nov 21, 2003, 3:26:53 PM11/21/03
"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker_era...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<pwlvb.3304$aw2.9...@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...

--Joke if you must. But I was thinking of it as some kind of
symbolism on ME's part, either feigned or in earnest, in connection

himiko

Nov 21, 2003, 10:20:58 PM11/21/03
reld...@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.03112...@posting.google.com>...

> Not that I really believe either of those things. I was just trying
> to figure out why ME would have gone out of their way to call
> attention to Gunn's toy robot collection. All I could think of was
> symbolic interpretations.

I saw it more as a successful guy who never had a childhood (which
Gunn sure didn't) trying to recapture some of the fun with a
collection of what are probably quite costly, rare, antique toys...so
he can refer to them as an "investment" instead of admitting the
silly, sweet, rather sad truth.

himiko

Thirsty Viking

Nov 22, 2003, 1:42:16 AM11/22/03

"Clairel" <reld...@usa.net> wrote in message

Or that Eve is Lindseys lovecyborg lol

Clairel

Nov 23, 2003, 2:20:21 PM11/23/03
him...@animail.net (himiko) wrote in message news:<c7902983.03112...@posting.google.com>...

--That's a nice idea. I'd like to think of it that way, actually.

Thanks,
Clairel

Ken from Chicago

Nov 24, 2003, 7:00:27 AM11/24/03

"Clairel" <reld...@usa.net> wrote in message

Wait til you see the toy building blocks set made of gold bricks.

-- Ken from Chicago

Growltiger

Nov 26, 2003, 1:39:45 PM11/26/03
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:04:57 GMT, ilmaestro <a.j.ma...@durham.ac.uk>
wrote:

"Anvilicious" is a nonce... a made up word. It is an allusion to the
anvil dropping down upon a viewer's head as part of a screen writer's
heavy handed attempt to drive home a point or a plot line. I have only
seen it used in discussion groups that focus on movie and television
programs (e.g., alt.tv.*). If you read newsgroups or blogs, etc. you will
see the term pop up now and again.
--
Be seeing you,
Growltiger