Happy Thanksgiving

Bob Rudd

Nov 22, 2006, 12:02:21 PM11/22/06

I want to take a moment to wish everyone here a Blessed and Happy
Thanksgiving. It is my wish that you find yourself in the company of
loved ones who care about you and in whose company you enjoy their
warmth and love.

At the same time, occasionally, holidays can be challenging due to
circumstances. If you find yourself in such a situation this year,
please know that "this too shall pass" and that you are not alone.
Growing up, a very wise older man once told me that every time I was
down in life, take a walk or a drive. During that time, observe how
many other people pass you on the sidewalk or the road. No matter how
difficult my life might be, he assured me that, at least, one of those
individuals was going through more challenges at that time and making
the best of it while doing their best to keep a positive attitude and a
smile on their face.

He was right.

This ng is like a family. Some are liked by all. Others by few and
most by a majority. It's the closest thing I've found on Usenet or the
Web to an extended family. No matter what, their is almost always
someone here who will do their best to make you feel comfortable or
cheer you up.

On a personal note, this year we are not cooking due to circumstances
beyond our control. However, we are having people over. I think the
count, at this moment is approaching 35. About a third is family, more
than another third are friends and the remainder are interns and new
employees who just live too far away from home to go so our home will
become theirs. I've done a lot of catering, and on a major scale, in
our house. However, there are a lot of lessons to be learned about
catering Turkey Day and all of them have been pretty humorous. It
should be a great time.

I also believe that companies should be families. We closed the office
yesterday through the weekend. Each person received a $100. bonus,
adjusted up for taxes so that it's a true $100. as a corporate thank you
for their hard work. We'd be nothing without our people and I think
it's important that they be thanked and celebrated.

This year I will be most thankful that I've learned a lesson about
cherishing each moment of life. There is nothing routine in time spent
with loved ones. Even the boring, regular time is very precious.

God's Blessings to one and all.

--
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!

daveparks

Nov 22, 2006, 12:28:59 PM11/22/06

Bob Rudd wrote:
> I want to take a moment to wish everyone here a Blessed and Happy
> Thanksgiving. It is my wish that you find yourself in the company of
> loved ones who care about you and in whose company you enjoy their
> warmth and love.
>
> At the same time, occasionally, holidays can be challenging due to
> circumstances. If you find yourself in such a situation this year,
> please know that "this too shall pass" and that you are not alone.
> Growing up, a very wise older man once told me that every time I was
> down in life, take a walk or a drive. During that time, observe how
> many other people pass you on the sidewalk or the road. No matter how
> difficult my life might be, he assured me that, at least, one of those
> individuals was going through more challenges at that time and making
> the best of it while doing their best to keep a positive attitude and a
> smile on their face.

That reminds me of the Peter Graves cockpit scene from 'Airplane'. ;-)

> He was right.
>
> This ng is like a family. Some are liked by all. Others by few and
> most by a majority. It's the closest thing I've found on Usenet or the
> Web to an extended family. No matter what, their is almost always
> someone here who will do their best to make you feel comfortable or
> cheer you up.
>
> On a personal note, this year we are not cooking due to circumstances
> beyond our control. However, we are having people over. I think the
> count, at this moment is approaching 35. About a third is family, more
> than another third are friends and the remainder are interns and new
> employees who just live too far away from home to go so our home will
> become theirs. I've done a lot of catering, and on a major scale, in
> our house. However, there are a lot of lessons to be learned about
> catering Turkey Day and all of them have been pretty humorous. It
> should be a great time.
>
> I also believe that companies should be families. We closed the office
> yesterday through the weekend. Each person received a $100. bonus,
> adjusted up for taxes so that it's a true $100. as a corporate thank you
> for their hard work. We'd be nothing without our people and I think
> it's important that they be thanked and celebrated.
>
> This year I will be most thankful that I've learned a lesson about
> cherishing each moment of life. There is nothing routine in time spent
> with loved ones. Even the boring, regular time is very precious.
>
> God's Blessings to one and all.

Thanks 'Bob' - appreciate the sentiment; and backatcha.
Wish the best to you and yours.
Take care.

Suzanne D.

Nov 22, 2006, 1:32:09 PM11/22/06

"Bob Rudd" <bob...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> On a personal note, this year we are not cooking due to circumstances
> beyond our control.

We ALMOST aren't cooking due to circumstances out of our control. Our stove
only has one good working burner! K is going to be extremely creative to
juggle his 17 course meal.
--S.

callen...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2006, 1:55:45 PM11/22/06

daveparks wrote:
> Bob Rudd wrote:
> > I want to take a moment to wish everyone here a Blessed and Happy
> > Thanksgiving. It is my wish that you find yourself in the company of
> > loved ones who care about you and in whose company you enjoy their
> > warmth and love.
SNIP

> > God's Blessings to one and all.
>
> Thanks 'Bob' - appreciate the sentiment; and backatcha.
> Wish the best to you and yours.
> Take care.

ditto.

We'll be travelling, but once we get there we'll be with family we see
all too seldom.

Hope my lil ATAI family (*sniff*) has a good one!

Callen in VA

topcat

Nov 22, 2006, 2:28:05 PM11/22/06

<callen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, all my friends here in the group, have a Happy Thanksgiving.

TC

SantaSteeler

Nov 22, 2006, 5:25:35 PM11/22/06
May you all have a day that you usually only get to dream about. Whether it
is a Norman Rockwell painting, watching football or just enjoying one
another.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

fille

Nov 22, 2006, 9:07:02 PM11/22/06

Bob Rudd wrote:
> I want to take a moment to wish everyone here a Blessed and Happy
> Thanksgiving.
<snip>

What a nice post, Bob. I also wish everyone in this group a happy and
safe holiday. We were invited up to Maine again this year to share
Thanksgiving with my son but sadly I decided to decline and spend the
day with my in-laws instead. They are up in that age range where you
never know how many more holidays you'll have together and I thought it
was important that we spend this one with them. I married into a great
family and always enjoy the time spent with them. And now I have to go
pick out the "expandable" outfit I'm going to wear so I can have that
extra helping of pie without the waist band diging into my tummy - LOL.

fmomoon

Nov 22, 2006, 11:07:12 PM11/22/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Olive Garden? <g> Have fun, S.
--
Moni (fmomoon)
War does not determine who is right,

fmomoon

Nov 22, 2006, 11:09:23 PM11/22/06

"fille" <fille...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

We're having a small group over this year: only nine....okay eleven, if you
count the dogs. I'm happy that one daughter is home (the other one is in
Washington State, so I don't see the grandkids this time <sniff>) and the
pies are already in the oven.

Message has been deleted

Judy Haffner

Nov 23, 2006, 12:31:19 AM11/23/06

Bob Rudd wrote:

>I want to take a moment to wish
> everyone here a Blessed and Happy
> Thanksgiving. It is my wish that you find
> yourself in the company of loved ones
> who care about you and in whose
> company you enjoy their warmth and
> love.

<snipped for length>

What a nice post, Bob!! The same back to you, and to all my friends on
this NG, cause even though we've had our differences over a span of
time, I still enjoy the majority of you, and have missed being on here
lately. Our oldest son (who lives in Ohio) has been here all month,
and will be here till Sunday, so am spending as much time as possible
with him, as only see him once a year! :-(

Also have been having a hard time coping with my mom's death just 2 1/2
weeks ago, and with tomorrow being the first holiday without her, it's
difficult. We have always gone to her house, and this will be the first
year for us to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house, but am looking
forward to spending it with 10 members of our family, and I know I will
enjoy it, as I have much to be thankful for, and my blessings are many.
I also know mom would not want me to be feeling sad, so this will be the
start of making new holiday traditions!

Happy "Turkey Day"...try not to eat too much and get as STUFFED as the
turkey! <G>

Judy

Message has been deleted

NjnTx

Nov 23, 2006, 1:01:19 AM11/23/06
zob wrote:
|| On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:31:19 -0900, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)

|| wrote:
||| Also have been having a hard time coping with my mom's death just 2 1/2
||| weeks ago, and with tomorrow being the first holiday without her, it's
||| difficult. We have always gone to her house, and this will be the first
||| year for us to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house, but am looking
||| forward to spending it with 10 members of our family, and I know I will
||| enjoy it, as I have much to be thankful for, and my blessings are many.
||| I also know mom would not want me to be feeling sad, so this will be the
||| start of making new holiday traditions!
|| Judy,
|| My sympathies about your Mom. My sister's husband was tragically
|| killed in a car accident last year in New England, and I've brought
|| her and her 14-year old son to Virginia to live with me. This will be
|| their first Thanksgiving since this sad and dramatic change in their
|| lives. I'm going to make it as happy and memorable as I can for
|| everyone! You do the same, think good thoughts and stay positive.
|| Remember the good and happy things about your Mom. She's in a better
|| place, probably smiling down on you right now wishing she could let
|| you know how much peace and joy she's experiencing! I sincerely
|| believe that.
|| Have a wonderful holiday.

Zob, you are a great brother (you are a guy, right?) Your sister is
lucky to have you.

Judy, I know what it's like to lose a parent since I lost my dad
last year. Every holiday and anniversary that comes during the
first year is the hardest. After that year first year is up, it brings
some relief in that you survived a whole year of firsts and that you
can start the next phase of your life.

Best wishes to you.

Suzanne D.

Nov 23, 2006, 1:57:40 AM11/23/06

"fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Rudd" <bob...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> On a personal note, this year we are not cooking due to circumstances
>>> beyond our control.
>>
>> We ALMOST aren't cooking due to circumstances out of our control. Our
>> stove only has one good working burner! K is going to be extremely
>> creative to juggle his 17 course meal.
>> --S.
>
> Olive Garden? <g>

Not this year. Maybe next, if we still can't afford an oven by then!
--S.

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 2:05:37 AM11/23/06

"Judy Haffner" <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> What a nice post, Bob!! The same back to you, and to all my friends on
> this NG, cause even though we've had our differences over a span of
> time, I still enjoy the majority of you, and have missed being on here
> lately. Our oldest son (who lives in Ohio) has been here all month,
> and will be here till Sunday, so am spending as much time as possible
> with him, as only see him once a year! :-(
>
> Also have been having a hard time coping with my mom's death just 2 1/2
> weeks ago, and with tomorrow being the first holiday without her, it's
> difficult. We have always gone to her house, and this will be the first
> year for us to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house, but am looking
> forward to spending it with 10 members of our family, and I know I will
> enjoy it, as I have much to be thankful for, and my blessings are many.
> I also know mom would not want me to be feeling sad, so this will be the
> start of making new holiday traditions!
>
> Happy "Turkey Day"...try not to eat too much and get as STUFFED as the
> turkey! <G>
>
> Judy

Judy, first....*hugs*....I understand.

I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I found that last year I
needed to take a couple of moments to myself and allow myself to feel. That
is so hard sometimes when I am supposed to be the "strong one." Please
don't feel that you have to wear that mantle all the time. Enjoy your
family and the activity. We are all blessed to be surrounded by those we
love. I really don't think we focus on that enough in today's throw away
world.

Now for your serious question: Cool Whip or ice cream with your pumpkin
pie?

Judy Haffner

Nov 23, 2006, 4:18:35 AM11/23/06

Zob wrote:

>My sympathies about your Mom. My
> sister's husband was tragically killed in
> a car accident last year in New England,
> and I've brought her and her 14-year old
> son to Virginia to live with me. This will
> be their first Thanksgiving since this sad
> and dramatic change in their lives. I'm
> going to make it as happy and
> memorable as I can for everyone! You
> do the same, think good thoughts and
> stay positive. Remember the good and
> happy things about your Mom. She's in
> a better place, probably smiling down on
> you right now wishing she could let you
> know how much peace and joy she's
> experiencing! I sincerely believe that.

>Have a wonderful holiday.

Thanks for your kind words, Zob...I really appreciate them. I feel this
holiday season will be the hardest, but like you, I want to try to make
it a very enjoyable Thanksgiving and Christmas for our children and
grandchildren, as we set new traditions.

You are a GREAT brother!! Oh, how I wish I'd had a brother, sister, or
both, but unfortunately, I didn't have any siblings. My hubby and our
children have been a really good support team though, since losing my
dear mother, and we will get through this, and be thankful the rest of
us can be together on Thanksgiving. My mom is never far from our
thoughts, or our hearts!

Have a wonderful holiday too!

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 23, 2006, 4:24:19 AM11/23/06

ljs...@flash.net.invalid (NjnTx) wrote:

>I know what it's like to lose a parent
> since I lost my dad last year. Every
> holiday and anniversary that comes
> during the first year is the hardest. After
> that year first year is up, it brings some
> relief in that you survived a whole year
> of firsts and that you can start the next
> phase of your life.

>Best wishes to you.

Thanks appreciate you're kind words also. It is difficult to lose a
parent, and I have lost both, as my dad died in March '02 and my mom
just this month. I was very close to both of them, and helped to take
care of both, when their health started to fail. I'm so thankful for my
understanding hubby and our 4 kids though, as they are my "rocks of
Gibraltar"!

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 23, 2006, 4:35:17 AM11/23/06

Moni wrote:

>Judy, first....*hugs*....I understand.

>I hope that you have a wonderful
> Thanksgiving. I found that last year I
> needed to take a couple of moments to
> myself and allow myself to feel. That is
> so hard sometimes when I am supposed
> to be the "strong one." Please don't feel
> that you have to wear that mantle all the
> time. Enjoy your family and the activity.
> We are all blessed to be surrounded by
> those we love. I really don't think we
> focus on that enough in today's throw
> away world.

>Now for your serious question: Cool
> Whip or ice cream with your pumpkin
> pie?

Thanks for the pep talk, Moni! I needed that, as guess I have been
trying to be the "strong one" while inside my heart is weeping. As I
think I've told you, my mom and I were very close...not just mother n'
daughter, but best friends, as well. I expect this holiday season will
be the hardest, but I'm looking forward to having the family here
tomorrow, and I know my mom would want us to enjoy the day. I hope you
and the family have a wonderful Thanksgiving also.

I've never tried ice cream with pumpkin pie, but I have heard it's
good?! I prefer REAL whipping cream myself, but bought two tubs of Cool
Whip (Creamy style) for the pumpkin pie, and also made blueberry for one
granddaughter, coconut creme for another granddaughter, and banana
creme also...just because it's everybody's favorite.

Judy

G D

Nov 23, 2006, 7:35:04 AM11/23/06
Have a nice Turduckin Day, everyone!

Bob Rudd

Nov 23, 2006, 10:30:11 AM11/23/06
In article <48dam2d9mao380jif...@4ax.com>, zob@_cox.net
says...

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:31:19 -0900, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>
> |Also have been having a hard time coping with my mom's death just 2 1/2
> |weeks ago, and with tomorrow being the first holiday without her, it's
> |difficult. We have always gone to her house, and this will be the first
> |year for us to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house, but am looking
> |forward to spending it with 10 members of our family, and I know I will
> |enjoy it, as I have much to be thankful for, and my blessings are many.
> |I also know mom would not want me to be feeling sad, so this will be the
> |start of making new holiday traditions!
>
> Judy,

> My sympathies about your Mom. My sister's husband was tragically
> killed in a car accident last year in New England, and I've brought
> her and her 14-year old son to Virginia to live with me. This will be
> their first Thanksgiving since this sad and dramatic change in their
> lives. I'm going to make it as happy and memorable as I can for
> everyone! You do the same, think good thoughts and stay positive.
> Remember the good and happy things about your Mom. She's in a better
> place, probably smiling down on you right now wishing she could let
> you know how much peace and joy she's experiencing! I sincerely
> believe that.
>
> Have a wonderful holiday.

There is a special place in heaven for folks like you, my friend.

Karrde

Nov 23, 2006, 11:24:38 AM11/23/06

"fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Rudd" <bob...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> On a personal note, this year we are not cooking due to circumstances
>>> beyond our control.
>>
>> We ALMOST aren't cooking due to circumstances out of our control. Our
>> stove only has one good working burner! K is going to be extremely
>> creative to juggle his 17 course meal.
>> --S.
>
> Olive Garden? <g> Have fun, S.

The frame is up. I still think February is the right time frame.

--
--K
Undisputed 2004 Bragging Rights Champion

Karrde

Nov 23, 2006, 11:26:01 AM11/23/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh yeah, like we haven't been anxiously awaiting this stove giving out ever
since we moved here. We really miss our glass top and will probably be out
shopping for one within the next two weeks. :-D

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 1:31:57 PM11/23/06

> I've never tried ice cream with pumpkin pie, but I have heard it's
> good?! I prefer REAL whipping cream myself, but bought two tubs of Cool
> Whip (Creamy style) for the pumpkin pie, and also made blueberry for one
> granddaughter, coconut creme for another granddaughter, and banana
> creme also...just because it's everybody's favorite.
>
> Judy

Oh, I'm coming over to *your* house. That sounds wonderful!

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 1:32:46 PM11/23/06

"G D" <Cubb...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Have a nice Turduckin Day, everyone!

You know, I've heard so much about that, I've been wondering: have any of
you actually tasted that? It sounds interesting but strange.

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 1:33:31 PM11/23/06

"Karrde" <karrde_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

February is a bit late for Thanksgiving, though. ;)

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 1:34:43 PM11/23/06

> Oh yeah, like we haven't been anxiously awaiting this stove giving out
> ever since we moved here. We really miss our glass top and will probably
> be out shopping for one within the next two weeks. :-D

Glass top? Like those Corelle cook tops? A friend of mine had one and had
a devil of a time keeping it clean, but I thought the idea was fabulous.

Suzanne D.

Nov 23, 2006, 3:44:45 PM11/23/06

> "Karrde" <karrde_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Oh yeah, like we haven't been anxiously awaiting this stove giving out
>> ever since we moved here. We really miss our glass top and will probably
>> be out shopping for one within the next two weeks. :-D
>>
> Glass top? Like those Corelle cook tops? A friend of mine had one and
> had a devil of a time keeping it clean, but I thought the idea was
> fabulous.

The surface is a little bit harder to scrub than the surface of a regular
stove. That being said, it is still INFINITELY easier to clean a flat
stovetop. No nooks & crannies to get into. The simple spills, you just
wipe clean across the surface. BOOM, you're done. Compare that to working
your way around the burners, cleaning under the burner rims, the rims and
burners themselves, etc. Now, if you let things go for a while, you'll have
to polish the flat top and that takes some time and elbow grease, but for
everyday cleaning, flat tops are way easier. We had one for just a few
months before discovering we had to relocate. Our current house has a stove
that is about 20 years old (it actually has fake wood detail), and only one
burner works correctly.

I'd like to upgrade a little and get one of those stoves that has the option
of connecting two burners with a hot strip in the middle. That, paired with
an extra-long skillet, would be so great for making large quantities of
pancakes, dolmas, grilled sandwiches, etc. When there are six people in the
family, a simple pancake breakfast can take an hour if you can only cook two
of them at a time!
--S.

Suzanne D.

Nov 23, 2006, 3:46:10 PM11/23/06

> "G D" <Cubb...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> Have a nice Turduckin Day, everyone!
>>
> You know, I've heard so much about that, I've been wondering: have any of
> you actually tasted that? It sounds interesting but strange.

I just learned that it is very dangerous and highly discouraged. The meats
apparently don't get cooked well enough to kill all the bacteria.
--S.

Suzanne D.

Nov 23, 2006, 3:47:14 PM11/23/06

"SantaSteeler" <hem...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> May you all have a day that you usually only get to dream about. Whether
> it is a Norman Rockwell painting, watching football or just enjoying one
> another.

We'll post pictures of our feast later! K's got it all planned out, down to
the gourd gravy boat!
--S.

Message has been deleted

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 9:48:12 PM11/23/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
That I imagine would be true. I've had duck but I can't say I like it that
much. Turkey and chicken? My faves but I don't know that the chicken would
get done right if it was inside the turkey.

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 9:49:27 PM11/23/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I imagine it would. When the grandkids are around, I feel like a short
order cook because, of course, they don't all like the same thing. ;)

fmomoon

Nov 23, 2006, 9:51:35 PM11/23/06

"zob" <zob@_cox.net> wrote in message
> Well, it works both ways. In 1998 when I had a freak major stroke in
> my 40's, my sister and her husband literally gave up their home and
> their jobs to come to VA during my 3+ months of hospitalization --
> followed by several months of in-patient rehab and outpatient physical
> therapy. Only after my recovery and subsequent return to work and
> self-sufficiency did they return to some semblance of getting about
> with their normal lives. My sister and I fought like cats and dogs
> when we were growing up, but when the chips are down ... well, you see
> how it is.
I'm envious, zob. My brother and I aren't very close. We couldn't live any
further away from each other: he's on the east coast and I am a CA girl.
Occasionally, he gets the opportunity to be the classic "big brother" and I
do love it. I guess, even though I am quite used to our distant
relationship, part of me always craves a connection to him.

Karrde

Nov 24, 2006, 12:25:25 AM11/24/06

"fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

But just in time for Valentine's Day. Shhhh. Don't say anything. ;-)

Karrde

Nov 24, 2006, 12:29:01 AM11/24/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It can be dangerous if you don't take the right precautions, but there are a
few grocery stores that sell the turducken ready to roast. I almost got one
about five years ago when I first heard of them, but balked when I found out
how much extra work goes into it.

Karrde

Nov 24, 2006, 12:29:58 AM11/24/06

> "Judy Haffner" <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> I've never tried ice cream with pumpkin pie, but I have heard it's
>> good?! I prefer REAL whipping cream myself, but bought two tubs of Cool
>> Whip (Creamy style) for the pumpkin pie, and also made blueberry for one
>> granddaughter, coconut creme for another granddaughter, and banana
>> creme also...just because it's everybody's favorite.
>>
>> Judy
>>
> Oh, I'm coming over to *your* house. That sounds wonderful!

Moni, you missed out on the pumpkin brownies. They were excellent. The
crab bisque didn't turn out half bad either.

Message has been deleted

fmomoon

Nov 24, 2006, 1:40:12 AM11/24/06

"Karrde" <karrde_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mums the word..

fmomoon

Nov 24, 2006, 1:41:44 AM11/24/06

"Karrde" <karrde_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Now this is going to sound silly coming from a CA woman who has been on a
crab boat, but I've never had crab bisque. I'd like to try it though and
those pumpkin brownies sound excellent. Life is too short to skimp on
dessert. :)

Suzanne D.

Nov 24, 2006, 8:13:02 PM11/24/06

> "Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "G D" <Cubb...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> You know, I've heard so much about that, I've been wondering: have any
>>> of you actually tasted that? It sounds interesting but strange.
>>
>> I just learned that it is very dangerous and highly discouraged. The
>> meats apparently don't get cooked well enough to kill all the bacteria.
>
> It can be dangerous if you don't take the right precautions,

I have to wonder what he right precautions must be! Maybe to cook all the
birds first, and THEN stuff them inside each other, to be warmed up later?
(Even that would hold a bacteria risk, when you think about it.) Otherwise,
there's simply no way to safely cook three birds one inside the other and
ensure that all the meat gets thoroughly cooked through.
--S.

Karrde

Nov 25, 2006, 12:28:23 AM11/25/06

"Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, the birds have to be deboned first to allow for the layering of the
meats. Then, the Turducken is slow roasted for over nine hours at 225
degrees to ensure that all of the bacteria is killed off. I'd love to try
one, but I wouldn't trust myself to have the patience to do it right. Here
is one recipe:
http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/turducken.html

Okay, try these variations on for size.
1) Fill the chicken cavity with sausage and layer bacon on the top of the
whole thing.
2) Stuff the turkey with a Chuckey (chicken stuffed with a duckling) for a
Turchuckey.
3) Gurducken (uses a goose in place of a turkey).
4) Turduckencorpheail (Turducken is stuffed with a cornish game hen which is
then stuffed with a pheasant which is finally stuffed with a quail).

and then I just found this one:

5) "The largest recorded nested bird roast is 17 birds, attributed to a
royal feast in France in the 19th Century: a
Bustergophechideckneaealckideverwingailusharkolanine - bustard stuffed with
a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a
woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an
ortolan and a passerine."

Karrde

Nov 25, 2006, 12:30:36 AM11/25/06

"fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Okay, I can make you the crab bisque if you ever get out this way. The
pumpkin brownies will be a go as well, depending on the time of year. You
say don't skimp and I agree. That's why I won't use canned pumpkin, only
fresh puree that I've made myself. Only the best for my desserts. ;-)

fmomoon

Nov 25, 2006, 8:05:57 PM11/25/06

> "fmomoon" <fmo...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Now this is going to sound silly coming from a CA woman who has been on a
>> crab boat, but I've never had crab bisque. I'd like to try it though and
>> those pumpkin brownies sound excellent. Life is too short to skimp on
>> dessert. :)
>
> Okay, I can make you the crab bisque if you ever get out this way. The
> pumpkin brownies will be a go as well, depending on the time of year. You
> say don't skimp and I agree. That's why I won't use canned pumpkin, only
> fresh puree that I've made myself. Only the best for my desserts. ;-)

I did go through the trouble of doing pumpkin puree once. To my taste, I
discovered that the difference is in the spices and I just prefer the spices
in the canned stuff. I'm strange, I know. However, I'm always up for
dessert! :)