"Vampire Rapist" sentenced to life for smoking pot

James Wooten

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Vampire rapist sentenced to life for smoking pot

February 1, 1997
Web posted at: 2:18 p.m. EST (1918 GMT)

SHARPES, Florida (AP) -- John Crutchley, the so-called vampire rapist,
received life in prison Friday for smoking marijuana on the night before he
was released from prison after serving an 11-year term.

Authorities say Crutchley, 49, tested positive for the drug on the day he
was set to be free last August to begin serving 50 years probation. He had
served 11 years for kidnapping and raping a teen-age hitchhiker in 1985.

Crutchley, known as the vampire rapist because he drank his victim's blood,
on Friday denied smoking marijuana, saying instead that inmates blew
marijuana smoke in his face.

Earlier in the week, prosecutors played a tape of Crutchley telling a
corrections inspector that he had smoked marijuana because he was nervous
about his impending freedom and thought the drug would relax him.

dles...@earthlink.net

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Wow -- eleven years for kidnapping, raping, and drinking the blood of a
teenage girl and LIFE for sparking a doobie. What is this world coming
to?

Teresa

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

> Wow -- eleven years for kidnapping, raping, and drinking the
blood of a
> teenage girl and LIFE for sparking a doobie. What is this world coming
> to?

Florida has a "Three strikes you're out" law. Meaning if convicted for the
third time, you automatically get life. I read in the paper the other day
that a man was appealing his sentence. He was convicted of stealing a
pizza (and had two other priors.) and was sentenced to life. He thinks
it's a bit excessive.

Shrugging,
Teresa

tri...@pacbell.net

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

ree...@magicnet.net (Teresa) wrote:

>Shrugging,
> Teresa

The "pizza case" (the guy stole a slice from some young kids eating at
an outdoor table) took place in California, which also has a "three
strikes" law. His life sentence was struck down last week after a
recent court ruling gave judges more discretion in the sentencing of
"three strikes" defendents.